Arsenal lose Van Persie & Walcott

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Arsenal will be without injured pair Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott for their Champions League last-16 second leg match at Barcelona on 8 March.

More...

Bad news for Arsenal but from a Man Utd point of view this helps us greatly in the title race. Although Arsenal are used to being without RVP and Walcott has been injured for quite a bit this season as well.

Big loss imo. RVP was in great form and Arsenal would miss him.

Class striker but made of glass.

Very injury prone.

RT @ESPNPressPass: Since joining #Arsenal in 2004, RvP has missed 42.75% of their PL games (109/255). Most played in 1 season is 28 (08-09)

**** sake we always get injuries to our best players

:'(

Both teams suffer under injuries (Barça: Valdes, Puyol, Xavi unsure) (Arsenal: Van Persie, Walcott, Fabregas comes back from injury). It will be a tough match in which both teams will give everything they have

RvP - Massive loss.

RVP is quality, hes up there with the best, and without injury would be amazing.

Any chance of them knocking Barca out has gone for me. They needed all of Van Persie, Fabregas and Walcott to be fully fit to stand a chance for me.

Even if they had everyone fit, I don't think they had any chance of beating Barcelona while they're at home. Beating them away in Europe is one thing but beating them at home in Europe is another.

And I still feel the players will be deflated after the League Cup Final loss.

Big loss. But still well in with a chance of the title even if we do get beat by Barca...

Utd have tricky games, and RvP and Theo should only be out for March.

Also - Danny: We don't have to beat Barca...We can draw, or lose by one goal if we score at least two.

Plus - Barca won't (I don't think) have Valdes, Pique, possibly Puyol, and possibly Xavi and our two CBs from the first game, who played out of their skin and have been doing so well since the New Year especially, will be fit (providing nothing happens between now and then), so we won't have Mikael Silvestre and Denilson playing from the start.

Barca don't know how to deal with Bendtner, either, so hopefully we can get an early goal.

All irrelevant though, I guess, but I love how CJ is just liking every post that suggests danger for Arsenal..

Xavi is probably Barca's most important player, Puyol is arguably the second most important...having an inexperienced backup keeper doesn't help either...Arsenal has a great chance, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Having said that, this is a huge blow to Arsenal in the Premier League race, which is the only trophy I'd like to see them seriously pursue. With the fixture congestion it makes things really difficult for Arsenal, and the replay match against Leyton really doesn't help things...I hope Wenger doesn't play any important players for that game. He needs to rest his team for the tough game against Sunderland on the weekend and for Barca on Tuesday. I really hope Arsenal don't drop points while Walcott and VP are out...I'm afraid they will with all of the fixture congestion, and this weekend against Sunderland is where I think they'll drop points. Then they have the match against Barca, and a probable match against ManU. I personally hope they lose both so they can focus solely on the league and leave ManU with another competition to deal with, which could cause them to drop a couple points in the league. Unlikely, but that's what I hope happens.

Bad, bad news for Arsenal.

To be honest, RVP has been brilliant, and I like Chamakh, but he will have to play twice the amount of games he would need to.

Depending how strong the side is on Wednesday, they may struggle in a difficult game against Sunderland, and having Barca and possibly United.

Now if United win tonight, it'd be that more important to, as this is a real chance for us to really put some pressure on.

I personally hope they lose both so they can focus solely on the league and leave ManU with another competition to deal with, which could cause them to drop a couple points in the league. Unlikely, but that's what I hope happens.

Now that will do wonders for the team's confidence...

I really hope Arsenal cope against Barca without them. I think Walcott is a huge loss for that game with his counter attacking pace, but they still have every chance with Barca's injury woes. It's the most interesting champions league tie for a long time, and I'm supporting Arsenal all the way!

I pray that Arsenal beat Barcelona! The team i hate most in this world! Plz do it!

Now that will do wonders for the team's confidence...

There is nothing wrong with losing to Barca at Camp Nou and ManU at OT when you are missing your important players, and if the games are close I don't think it will destroy the players' confidence. If they are out of these competitions, they can only focus on the league, and their run in isn't that difficult. What if they beat ManU? And if ManU drops points in one of the Chelsea games or against Liverpool? None of Arsenal's other games are that difficult, they could conceivably take the rest if they don't have to rotate their squad so much for the other competitions.

The league is the trophy they have the best chance of winning. The Champions League and FA Cup will be huge distractions from that. The former is really, really difficult to win, even if they beat Barca, and the latter just isn't as important, not to mention I don't see them getting past ManU at OT without these players.

I personally just want Arsenal to focus on the league and do whatever it takes so they don't lose any of their remaining league games. If they do that, they have a chance of overtaking ManU even if the game ends in a draw. And if they beat ManU, the chances would be decent. But they don't have too much depth to begin with, and all of the injuries is really stretching it to the limit. I am afraid their squad rotation will cost them the league, and that they won't end up winning the FA Cup or Champions League (and I actually think they will beat Barca, they will just lose at some other point in the competition, and possibly in the final or something, after they had sacrificed the league to try and win the Champions League). This is the problem with Arsenal sometimes. They're a great team that goes far in all of the competitions, but their lack of depth combined with injuries always means they fall short in each one. Their lack of trophies over the past few years is really misleading because of how consistently good they have been. It's just that they don't put all of their eggs in one basket, which I normally don't agree with but this year is a special case. Winning one, especially the league, would be huge for the club and for the Premiership.

Unfortunately, I don't think Arsenal will win any trophies this season, but I would love to see them take the league. And for Barca to win the CL.

pique is out puyol is out **** arsenal should score **** do it gunners!

I really hope Arsenal cope against Barca without them. I think Walcott is a huge loss for that game with his counter attacking pace, but they still have every chance with Barca's injury woes. It's the most interesting champions league tie for a long time, and I'm supporting Arsenal all the way!

If you are a ManU supporter why would you support Arsenal in the Champions League?