Arsenal must decide if they really want to win, says Cesc Fábregas

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 71
  • Views Views 10K
I don't think you can entirely put that down to not signing a keeper. They are simply too one dimensional against the strong teams which just sit deep and narrow and counter attack. Maybe signing a keeper would have helped them slightly, but IMO not much

Keeping mistakes have cost them 3 or 4 points this season and the carling cup, which is most likely in itself cost them 3 points in lack of confidence for a few matches

Wenger rarely let's pressure to buy players from outside the club affect his decisions, but how about if it comes from the Captain himself? Considering how obviously important he is to any current success we could achieve, I'd like to think he might do something to alleviate Fab's fears, but maybe I'm just being too optimistic. Still, I think it's important not to shell out shitloads of money, just 2 top quality players would make all the difference.

I think Wenger is so stubborn (not necessarily in a bad way), that he wouldn't change his ways if an angel descended from heaven and told him if was God's will. He's always had his way of doing things and nothing anybody says will change him IMO

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Keeping mistakes have cost them 3 or 4 points this season and the carling cup, which is most likely in itself cost them 3 points in lack of confidence for a few matches

Remember there is no guarantee they would have won the final had he not made that mistake. It was 1-1 at the time. Take your point though.

I think Wenger is so stubborn (not necessarily in a bad way), that he wouldn't change his ways if an angel descended from heaven and told him if was God's will. He's always had his way of doing things and nothing anybody says will change him IMO

Just have to hope that even he is getting frustrated with the team now, to the extent where he realises some of these players won't improve to the standard that we need them to be. The moment that realisation hits Wenger, it'll be very good news for the club.

pfft get over it, I just spent 20 minutes talking about united's result. None of it is mistranslated or whatever. whether you're a gunner or not, most people realise he is bang on

Former part not true, actually. I've seen lots of bits and pieces around twitter from Spaniards saying that some of the comments are particularly misleading.

I'm not going to say anything about this. All the things I could say in defence or in criticism of Wenger have already been said. All I'm going to do is wait for the new rules and financial regulations to come in, and then I will make my judgement.

Just have to hope that even he is getting frustrated with the team now, to the extent where he realises some of these players won't improve to the standard that we need them to be. The moment that realisation hits Wenger, it'll be very good news for the club.

Lets hope it does, because you have the nucleus of a very good team there. I have a lot of respect for Wenger and I quite like Arsenal compared to some of the other teams around.

He needs to give up on this perfect football and mix it up a bit. Plenty of chances against us to get the byline and whip low/high crosses in to cause danger but Arsenal just don't do it.

So teams just defend deep and go really narrow knowing that Arsenal are just going to try and play through them all game. Don't get me wrong I love watching Arsenal play but nothing wrong with whipping a few crosses in every so often and switching it up

Agreed. Other teams are able to be effective against narrow teams trying to sit back and defend because of the quality of their wide players. United have so much quality out wide that sitting deep and narrow doesn't work as well. They just stretch teams with their width anyway.

Former part not true, actually. I've seen lots of bits and pieces around twitter from Spaniards saying that some of the comments are particularly misleading.

I'm not going to say anything about this. All the things I could say in defence or in criticism of Wenger have already been said. All I'm going to do is wait for the new rules and financial regulations to come in, and then I will make my judgement.

to be honest i believe very little from twitter, mistranslated or not its bang on either way

to be honest i believe very little from twitter, mistranslated or not its bang on either way

Maybe it is bang on, but if it is mistranslated then it isn't what Fabregas said, which is the whole basis of this thread.

The gist of what Fabregas is saying, from what I can make with my rudimentary Spanish, is that a stage has been reached in Arsenal's long term where there needs to be a decision made between continuing with it or abandoning it and spending big and regularly. Don't think he offered his opinion on it at all.

Last edited:
Maybe it is bang on, but if it is mistranslated then it isn't what Fabregas said, which is the whole basis of this thread.

the basis of the thread is the failings, and the fact at the very least some of this comes from him is telling. I find it very hard to believe that the whole thing would be totally mistranslated

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

i have infact found the orginal, and now google wont let the translator work but here it is: http://translate.googleusercontent....ores--&usg=ALkJrhii4799cphX00jRlA7KdXjrn81gfw

Last edited:
the basis of the thread is the failings, and the fact at the very least some of this comes from him is telling. I find it very hard to believe that the whole thing would be totally mistranslated

And it would be hard to believe, but neither Joss (who originally brought it up) nor I said that the entire thing was mistranslated. Small, but crucial things that would be seized upon my the media and blown out of all proportion. Take the comments on "not lasting longer than 3 years without a trophy in Spain". From what I can make of it, he said that top coaches like Mourinho or Guardiola would be sacked if they told their superiors they'd go three years without a trophy, and rightly too as there are only two big clubs in Spain, and they have all the best players/money/power etc. He's essentially saying it's a good thing that Arsenal have the patience to give AW the time needed to build and develop a squad without spending huge amounts.

Yet, the media see this as "OMG, FABREGAS IS SAYING WENGER SHOULD BE SACKED", whether through mistranslation, normal media overblowing or just plain lies, the latter being possible as the original interview is in Spanish and they can get away with it by hiding behind the former if caught.

As I said, I believe all he is saying is Arsenal need to choose between long-term growth and financial stability (which let me remind you will benefit them when the new rules come into play) or buying big now and trying to go for a quick fix with trophies. The problem is with the latter is that there is no guarentee it will work; just look at City. The former is a safe, intelligent option, and frankly I applaud Arsenal and Wenger for choosing it.

And it would be hard to believe, but neither Joss (who originally brought it up) nor I said that the entire thing was mistranslated. Small, but crucial things that would be seized upon my the media and blown out of all proportion. Take the comments on "not lasting longer than 3 years without a trophy in Spain". From what I can make of it, he said that top coaches like Mourinho or Guardiola would be sacked if they told their superiors they'd go three years without a trophy, and rightly too as there are only two big clubs in Spain, and they have all the best players/money/power etc. He's essentially saying it's a good thing that Arsenal have the patience to give AW the time needed to build and develop a squad without spending huge amounts.

Yet, the media see this as "OMG, FABREGAS IS SAYING WENGER SHOULD BE SACKED", whether through mistranslation, normal media overblowing or just plain lies, the latter being possible as the original interview is in Spanish and they can get away with it by hiding behind the former if caught.

As I said, I believe all he is saying is Arsenal need to choose between long-term growth and financial stability (which let me remind you will benefit them when the new rules come into play) or buying big now and trying to go for a quick fix with trophies. The problem is with the latter is that there is no guarentee it will work; just look at City. The former is a safe, intelligent option, and frankly I applaud Arsenal and Wenger for choosing it.

but the article itself never said anything like that that wenger should be sacked, infact the very reason i picked the guardian version is becuase it would be far more accurate than others. the article itself is very balanced but telling, he has clearly chosen his words carefully

It's starting to get to a point where even those who taunt Arsenal for their trophy drought are starting to feel largely sympathetic towards the fans themselves. This season, for Arsenal, has slowly unfolded into another season where they have fallen short and not had the commandeering and control to lead them in the run-in firmly with sting performances that leave little for complacency. As much it is respected that the imitation of the fluid football others have played before and been very successful, it's not all a walk in the park.

Arsenal, surely now that they have a great financial stronghold (one that is continually envied by top clubs) have the money to completely overhaul their squad and put the strength back into the areas that they flourishes in six or seven years ago. Ther ar a lot of players in the Arsenal squad that have been given chances on plates but just not taken them. How many more chances will they have?

Yeah i'm not saying go berserk, but for 6 years you have been short of those 2 top players you need, i cant understand it. I respect Wenger a lot, but he is being too hard headed, at the clubs cost
He needs a good Centre Half like Kjaer or Hummels (someone that good), maybe a tough midfielder (like Annan) and a fantastic goalscoring striker like Darren Bent, Antonio Di Natale, etc.

have to say Cesc is right we need to sell the deadwood arsene and buy top quality players/backups.
You don't need more backups, you have some promising youth in the reserves who can play backup, like Frimpong.

Yeah, players like Squillaci, Denilson, Bendter (as you said) and even Sagna are not players who would get into Barca or Real's team.

Arsenal's policy will pay off sooner rather than later, I think. I'd rather it didn't, but their debt incurred in the Emirates Stadium build has almost been paid off completely now, if it hasn't already; I know it was almost done with recently.

I have, admittedly, been one to mock Arsenal's barren spell in the past, but it seems a lot has been made of Arsenal's 'failings' recently to detract from their own club. Personally, as United fans, I'd be more worried about how they are going to compete financially in the future with Arsenal unless this debt of yours gets cleared up quickly.

Speaking of FFP i just put up an article for it, makes very good reading for arsenal fans, decent news for united fans and not so good news for chelsea and city

Some of the comments here are just off, including Fabregas'. I haven't seen a single coherent suggestion as to who Arsenal should sign.

A CB? Are you guys kidding? Arsenal hasn't lost with Djorou in the side since November, and they missed their best CB the whole season. Koscielny is pretty good for a 3rd choice CB, and Squillaci didn't settle into the Prem but he's an experienced good player and he'll be good next season. He's definitely great for a 4th choice CB. They have 2 great CB's and 2 good ones and they don't need any more.

A GK? Why would they sign a goalkeeper when they have a young keeper with a lot of promise in Sczcesny, a very capable backup in Fabianski (he's probably as good as the number 2 at any club in the Prem), and Almunia is a good 3rd choice keeper?

A DM? They already have Diaby, Song, and Denilson, and Wilshere and Ramsey are coming through the ranks. It would make no sense to stunt their development, especially with how fantastic Wilshere has been this season.

A forward? Van Persie is a great player who has had a lot of bad luck with injuries recently. Even though he's hurt a lot, he still recovers very quickly and has a good scoring rate (which is why some of the Torres excuses sometimes **** me off, it's not like this stops Van Persie from scoring). They have two plan B options in Bendtner, who is emerging as a good target man, and Chamakh, who will be better next season. And Vela will be there next season.

On the wings they have Nasri (one of the best young players in the Prem) and Arshavin (who is great but had a bad year, he'll probably be back to normal next year) and Rosicky (not good, but experienced). Vela will be there too next season. They also have some young players coming through the ranks.

At RB they have Sagna (great player) and Eboue (very good for a backup). At LB they have Clichy (leaving) and Gibbs (very promising young English player).

Arsenal needs to sign an LB to replace Clichy, or more likely a cheap good young player and put Gibbs into the starting XI (it's hard to find LB's). That is all.

This is an Arsenal team that many of you said couldn't finish in the top 4 this season. They had injuries to some very important players and they still finished as runners up in two competitions (and would have won one if it wasn't for a stupid error in the final minutes). They were the second best team in the Prem this season, and their young squad will be even better next year. ManU and Chelsea have to worry about some of their key players retiring/getting too old. If Arsenal stays reasonably healthy they will win at least one trophy next season, and I think they will win the Prem or at least be very close. As long as they don't lose players (and I don't really see anyone leaving other than Cesc to replace Xavi, which probably won't happen for 3-4 seasons) they'll only get better and better and it's only a matter of time before they're the best in the Prem. Once that happens it will be a truly remarkable achievement, to be so good on such a tiny budget.

Fabregas' comments are extremely disappointing. Right in the middle of the title race (well, it's over but it's not mathematically over and the players can't give up yet) the captain releases comments saying they can't win with their current crop of players? It's been a while since I've seen a captain come out with such destructive comments at such a crucial time. Also, Cesc criticizes them for a lack of leadership, which is more than partially HIS responsibility for Christ's sake. He's the captain. Maybe if he grew some balls and started acting like a leader they would win games. It's not like they can go out and buy some old player and expect him to instantly lead the team, and as the captain you're supposed to step it up and become that leader, not criticize your club for not putting itself into debt and signing someone else to be a leader.

A GK? Why would they sign a goalkeeper when they have a young keeper with a lot of promise in Sczcesny, a very capable backup in Fabianski (he's probably as good as the number 2 at any club in the Prem), and Almunia is a good 3rd choice keeper?

I agree that Szczesny* has been promising, but he didn't play a full season of matches, or even a half season. So assuming we allowed the transfer window to pass us by without making a GK purchase and his inexperience causes poor performances (Probably won't happen, but knowing our luck with Goalkeepers, a feasible occurence), then we'd have the issue of needing a Goalkeeper. Although now with Szczesny looking good I wouldn't put this as our top necessity, but if the opportunity allowed for us to buy Manuel Neuer or Hugo Lloris for example, I'd like the club to make the signing.

A DM? They already have Diaby, Song, and Denilson, and Wilshere and Ramsey are coming through the ranks. It would make no sense to stunt their development, especially with how fantastic Wilshere has been this season.
Ramsey, Wilshere and Song I agree with. Diaby had a decent stint a while back but seems to have gone back to his old, poor performing self IMO. Denilson I have no time for, I personally think he's garbage. Therefore I think we do need a quality player in this area, though who we should go for I can't say. I know nothing of player's availability.

A forward? Van Persie is a great player who has had a lot of bad luck with injuries recently. Even though he's hurt a lot, he still recovers very quickly and has a good scoring rate (which is why some of the Torres excuses sometimes **** me off, it's not like this stops Van Persie from scoring). They have two plan B options in Bendtner, who is emerging as a good target man, and Chamakh, who will be better next season. And Vela will be there next season.

RVP, as you've stated, gets injured too often. Bendtner and Chamakh are not of similar quality to him, nor will Vela be next season, though I do have high hopes for the latter. Another class striker would be a good signing, finishing our chances is one of Arsenal's biggest issues, especially when Van Persie is out.

I agree that Szczesny* has been promising, but he didn't play a full season of matches, or even a half season. So assuming we allowed the transfer window to pass us by without making a GK purchase and his inexperience causes poor performances (Probably won't happen, but knowing our luck with Goalkeepers, a feasible occurence), then we'd have the issue of needing a Goalkeeper. Although now with Szczesny looking good I wouldn't put this as our top necessity, but if the opportunity allowed for us to buy Manuel Neuer or Hugo Lloris for example, I'd like the club to make the signing.

Ramsey, Wilshere and Song I agree with. Diaby had a decent stint a while back but seems to have gone back to his old, poor performing self IMO. Denilson I have no time for, I personally think he's garbage. Therefore I think we do need a quality player in this area, though who we should go for I can't say. I know nothing of player's availability.

RVP, as you've stated, gets injured too often. Bendtner and Chamakh are not of similar quality to him, nor will Vela be next season, though I do have high hopes for the latter. Another class striker would be a good signing, finishing our chances is one of Arsenal's biggest issues, especially when Van Persie is out.

RVP is a fantastic player, but the fact that he has never completed a full season in england is a fairly damning indictment of his fitness. And when so much of Arsenals trophy rests on him, quality is needed as cover. Agree about denilson, like a worse version of carrick

For me lack of command and control is apparent and has been for a long time, the fact that Wenger brought back Campbell once and now Lehmann, shows he acknowledges that. but we will see what happens come this summer

Im starting to think this is a Torres at Liverpool situation with Cesc. I said last summer that Liverpool should have sold Torres and built a squad with the money they would get for him and i think Arsenal need to do the same with Fabregas. Sell him for 30+m and sign 2-3 players to build a spine.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Didnt want to make a new thread for this so i thought i would post this in here. Just now on SSN they posted the difference in average age and career trophies with Arsenals current squad and the Invincibles sqaud of 03/04.

Invincibles:
Lehmann
Lauren
Cole
Toure
Campbell
Ljungberg
Pires
Vieira
Gilberto
Bergkamp
Henry

Average Age: 28 Career Trophies: 84 including 4 World Cup winners

Sundays Squad vs Liverpool:
Szczesny
Eboue
Clichy
Djourou
Koscielny
Diaby
Wilshere
Fabregas
Walcott
Arshavin
Van Persie

Average Age: 24 Career Trophies: 17

Says it all i think, they have not got any winners in the team and winning is infectiois (sp).

Im starting to think this is a Torres at Liverpool situation with Cesc. I said last summer that Liverpool should have sold Torres and built a squad with the money they would get for him and i think Arsenal need to do the same with Fabregas. Sell him for 30+m and sign 2-3 players to build a spine.

I can't believe I'm slightly agreeing with him on this, but this does remind me of Torres before he left.

anyway, Arsenal need leaders, Cesc Fabregas is not a leader, he's a captain yes. Leader no.
He's not someone who will get angry and shout at people when things are going wrong, in fact, I can't think of anyone in the Arsenal team (apart from maybe Wilshere when he matures more) that actually would. When things are going wrong, the whole team seems to settle into some sort of shell.

Liverpool have leaders (Gerrard, Carragher, Reina, i'd go as far as saying we've just bought another in Luis Suarez)
So do Chelsea (Terry, Lampard etc.) So do United (Rio, Vidic, Van Der Sar) in fact, most of their team are leaders - hence the desire to win and the success they have.

Back