arsenal or liverpool?

• Thread starter Thread starter GUNNER500
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 3K

whos had the better season? liverpool or arsenal?

• arsenal

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • liverpool

Votes: 37 77.1%

• Total voters

GUNNER500

Reaction score
At the moment arsenal i feel are getting alot of stick people are saying that we have had a really bad season we need to buy ect! i remmember people on here saying that villa were going to finsh above us ect!
Then all i here is how well liverpool have done how far they`ve come ect!
what i don`t get is BOTH teams are going home with nothing again this year where liverpool look like there going to finsh second! an arsenal in 4th, you have to remmember that we made to the semis of both the f.a cup! and the champions league! where as liverpool only managed the quarters in both! aswell they were very lucky to get what was clearly not a pen against a.madrid and should have gone out in pre-group stages clearly although man utd have been the best team this year by a mile i don`t think liverpool have had as good a season as most of there fans are saying and i don`t think arsenal have had a bad season at aswell! so heres the poll who`s had the better season?? what do u really think?

everyone will say liverpool, but tbh, they were knocked out of all comps before us, and just because they are second in the league it means nothing, if you are going to compete for it, and finish second, its the exact same as finishing 4th, you still have no trophy. just easier access to the champs league

I'll say Arsenal, mainly because I hate Liverpool

Arsenal, Man Utd, and Everton fans are all probably going to vote for Arsenal and the rest for Liverpool. I don't really understand your argument as you quite clearly contradict your reasons in your original post.

Anyway in regards to the cup competitions...

Liverpool FA Cup opponents: Preston, Everton. Guess who knocked us out.

Arsenal FA Cup opponents: Plymouth, Cardiff, Burnley, Hull, Chelsea. Guess who knocked them out. Yup, knocked out by the first good team they played.

Liverpool Champions League opponents: Real Madrid, Chelsea. I don't need to remind anyone of the scores from those four games, you all remember.

Arsenal Champions League opponents: Roma, Villarreal, Manchester United. Knocked out by the first good team they played again.

By your reasoning we both did just as good/bad seeing as none of us won anything.

Now time for the league. I could just win this part of the argument by mentioning the current position in the table but why would I want to do that? Surely what defines how good a season you have had is represented by your placing? Liverpool have really progressed in the league this season and if Robbie Keane didn't forget how to play football then while Torres or Gerrard were out we might of been even closer to Man Utd. Arsenal haven't had a bad season, they've just done what's expected of them by filling in the last spot of the top 4.

Lee hit the nail on the head. With a smaller budget than Arsenal have, Liverpool have pushed the Mancs til the end of the season in the league.

Don't think Arsenal have had a 'bad' season so much as suffered for Wenger's early insistence in following his philosophy and benefited fromr his willingness to change his mind. I have no problems with Arsenal or Wenger. I think Wenger has done a lot of good for the game and it's just his turn for the media to go headhunting him. I hope the real Arsenal supporters can give him a bit more time to get things right and that the numpty fans aren't herded into mass calls for his head.

Arsenal, Man Utd, and Everton fans are all probably going to vote for Arsenal and the rest for Liverpool. I don't really understand your argument as you quite clearly contradict your reasons in your original post.

Anyway in regards to the cup competitions...

Liverpool FA Cup opponents: Preston, Everton. Guess who knocked us out.

Arsenal FA Cup opponents: Plymouth, Cardiff, Burnley, Hull, Chelsea. Guess who knocked them out. Yup, knocked out by the first good team they played.

Liverpool Champions League opponents: Real Madrid, Chelsea. I don't need to remind anyone of the scores from those four games, you all remember.

Arsenal Champions League opponents: Roma, Villarreal, Manchester United. Knocked out by the first good team they played again.

By your reasoning we both did just as good/bad seeing as none of us won anything.

Now time for the league. I could just win this part of the argument by mentioning the current position in the table but why would I want to do that? Surely what defines how good a season you have had is represented by your placing? Liverpool have really progressed in the league this season and if Robbie Keane didn't forget how to play football then while Torres or Gerrard were out we might of been even closer to Man Utd. Arsenal haven't had a bad season, they've just done what's expected of them by filling in the last spot of the top 4.

so by the same reasons the first good teams knocked you out i.e cheski n everton? so whats you point ?
all i was saying is everyone seems to think arsenal have a bad season but liverpool have had as bad a season 2nd is nothing as is forth only 1st counts in the league 1 winner thats it! u can`t blame injurys for lack of points as arsenal have had it worse than any of the top 4 this season as for when it comes down to it in alot of ways our season has taken us to better positions in both major cups where yours has taken u to 2nd in the league i don`t think anyone of the teams have anything to be happy about! <)p.s whats your opion on the pre group stage match against a.madrid do u agree they were robbed by what was clearly not a pen? u season would have been even less productive!

Face it, Gunner. Your team nearly got owned by Aston Villa. You got beat 3-1 by Manchester United and you have a total of 1 good player (Fabregas). It just hasn't been your year.

Face it, Gunner. Your team nearly got owned by Aston Villa. You got beat 3-1 by Manchester United and you have a total of 1 good player (Fabregas). It just hasn't been your year.

What?!@!@!@

if i was to say arsenal have had a better season than liverpool then i would be a lier.

but what you said there is completely clueless, how did we get owned by aston villa? we are clearly 10 points ahead of them and got the 4th spot in the bag ages ago...

YES we did get beat by man utd and yes they are the best club in the world atm so theres no shame in losing to them.

1 good player? fabregas hes been one of our shittest players this season...have you forgotten the likes of - clichy, arshavin, nasri, RVP, walcott, almunia?

you should think before you speak tbh.

go millwall!!! lol;)

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Lee hit the nail on the head. With a smaller budget than Arsenal have, Liverpool have pushed the Mancs til the end of the season in the league.

Don't think Arsenal have had a 'bad' season so much as suffered for Wenger's early insistence in following his philosophy and benefited fromr his willingness to change his mind. I have no problems with Arsenal or Wenger. I think Wenger has done a lot of good for the game and it's just his turn for the media to go headhunting him. I hope the real Arsenal supporters can give him a bit more time to get things right and that the numpty fans aren't herded into mass calls for his head.

got to say when i normally read what you have to say 9 times out of ten i agree with you as you post are normally right but i can`t see us spending more or having a bigger budget than pool?

got to say when i normally read what you have to say 9 times out of ten i agree with you as you post are normally right but i can`t see us spending more or having a bigger budget than pool?

Your wages bill is massive.

Chelsea - £114m
Manchester Utd - £85m
Arsenal - £83m
Liverpool - £69m
Newcastle Utd - £52

If you spend absolutely nothing, we'd still have to spend 14 million quid on transfers and wages to match you. That's the hidden cost to Wenger's prudence. Get the youngsters in early by giving them exceptionally large wages... Wenger's transfer kitty was 70-80 million quid prior to Arshavin (19 million?) and the economy tanking (that new stadium business' plan required a decent property market, and without it that's going to drain funds badly). Our net spend since Benitez has been here has been around 18 million a season. Deduct your wages from that and Wenger only has to spend 4 million a season to match our budget. And I believe he averages 3.7 million a season since he's been at Arsenal? And he's still got a transfer kitty? ;)

Benitez has spent more on players than Fergie, and amazingly 60 odd players have represented the Liverpool reserves this season.

Liverpool go for quantity over quality.

to be fair to Liverpool, I hate to say it they have had a great season, and to actaully push man utd to the final 2 games of the season is an achievement, and if they progress on that it will lead to them being Champions in the near future.

Benitez has spent more on players than Fergie, and amazingly 60 odd players have represented the Liverpool reserves this season.

We've been over this quite a few times on this forum. It's just not true. It's also an incredibly dim view point that takes no look at any external factors.

Hmmm, I'm guessing you mean since Benitez took over? Not quite true unless add-ons for players aren't counted for the Mancs. Utter nonsense if you mean ever or even per season (inflation I think does need to be counted here - 1 million quid back when Taggart took over the Mancs was worth a lot more than it is today).

60+ players sounds very high? Got a source for that?

Arsenal reserve team is pretty much the same size as ours but have more out on loan.

as much as i hate to say it, liverpool, as they exceeded their expectations and actually were still involved in the title race after october, a record.

Your wages bill is massive.

Chelsea - £114m
Manchester Utd - £85m
Arsenal - £83m
Liverpool - £69m
Newcastle Utd - £52

If you spend absolutely nothing, we'd still have to spend 14 million quid on transfers and wages to match you. That's the hidden cost to Wenger's prudence. Get the youngsters in early by giving them exceptionally large wages... Wenger's transfer kitty was 70-80 million quid prior to Arshavin (19 million?) and the economy tanking (that new stadium business' plan required a decent property market, and without it that's going to drain funds badly). Our net spend since Benitez has been here has been around 18 million a season. Deduct your wages from that and Wenger only has to spend 4 million a season to match our budget. And I believe he averages 3.7 million a season since he's been at Arsenal? And he's still got a transfer kitty? ;)

sorry but i can`t believe that at all arsenals wages can`t be anywhere near that do u have any evidence of that or is that a guess? arshavin didn`t cost us 19 mill! more like 12mill- 15mill max! how much was keane/torres both cost more than arshavin ? what about babel/dossena/lucas/reira/kuyt all cost a few quid in both wages and transfers!

sorry but i can`t believe that at all arsenals wages can`t be anywhere near that do u have any evidence of that or is that a guess? arshavin didn`t cost us 19 mill! more like 12mill- 15mill max! how much was keane/torres both cost more than arshavin ? what about babel/dossena/lucas/reira/kuyt all cost a few quid in both wages and transfers!

Wages are from Deloittes mate. New ones should be out over the next month or so. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7423254.stm). Don't usually pull figures out of my backside to prove myself right ;)

Oh for sure we have spent more net than you recently in hard cash for players. And I wasn't having a pop at the Arshavin price - just saying that Wenger earlier this season had a massive wodge of cash he could have spent which of course Liverpool don't have. Arshavin's price was undisclosed and so everything is a guess until next years accounts come out for Arsenal. Fact is your wages have been higher than ours for a significant amount of time. That's money out of the budget whichever way you look at it.

Wages are from Deloittes mate. New ones should be out over the next month or so. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7423254.stm). Don't usually pull figures out of my backside to prove myself right ;)

Oh for sure we have spent more net than you recently in hard cash for players. And I wasn't having a pop at the Arshavin price - just saying that Wenger earlier this season had a massive wodge of cash he could have spent which of course Liverpool don't have. Arshavin's price was undisclosed and so everything is a guess until next years accounts come out for Arsenal. Fact is your wages have been higher than ours for a significant amount of time. That's money out of the budget whichever way you look at it.

those wages are for 06/07 when did you buy torres n co? surely your wage bill would now be much higher?

Back