Arsenal vs Partizan Belgrade - 08/12/2010 - Emirates Stadium

Joss

Reaction score
This is just a consolidated version of the full article, you can view that here on STV sport's website: http://sport.stv.tv/uefa-champions-league/214674-arsenal-must-avoid-complacency-and-get-the-ball-to-nasri/

Arsenal must avoid complacency and get the ball to Nasri

Arséne Wenger recently said that Arsenal had to ‘respect’ Newcastle United. We lost that game 1-0 at the Emirates. The team followed the result with a scrappy last minute 1-0 win over West Ham, and then by a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Ukrainian champions were a team who only a fortnight before had left North London with a 5-1 loss to reflect on. Similarly, Braga beat a complacent Arsenal side in Portugal two weeks ago, having themselves succumbed to a 6-0 loss at the Emirates...

One glaring aspect of the up and down season so far has been away form in the Champions League . Even in Serbia, against a Partizan side they face at home on Wednesday night, they struggled to put away chances and win the game. In the end, a 3-1 win was just about deserved and a reflection of Arsenal’s dominance on the night, but it took a red card and a brilliant penalty save from Lukasz Fabianski to earn all three points.

Never a dull moment then and the match against Partizan promises to be no different. Arsenal now need to match, or better, SC Braga’s result in Ukraine against Shakhtar Donetsk in order to qualify. Of course it’s a setback and Swiss defender Johan Djourou has said that it would be a “disaster” if Arsenal were to fail to progress from the group...

Wenger is urging his team to avoid complacency and respect Partizan. Most importantly though, he wants his players to give the ball to Samir Nasri, and rightly so, the Frenchman has been quite frankly, outstanding so far this season, notching 11 goals from only 16 starts and god knows how many assists...

Nasri’s tricks, combined with the returning Robin Van Persie and an improving, but controversial Russian in Andrey Arshavin should prove to be too superior a front three for a Partizan defence who have shipped 10 goals in Europe so far this season. Another 5 or 6-0 victory seems unlikely but no doubt fans will be relieved just to qualify and hope to avoid Barca, Madrid and company in the next round.

STV are always on the lookout for supporters who want to have their say. If you'd like to make your point, over and above commenting on this article, get in touch by writing to [email protected]

should be a win and a good win,yes our home form has been abit rubbish but this should be an easy win.

Nasri is good, scratch that, Nasri is amazing, but our team isn't that dependant on 1 player that we must get the ball to him. He will be important but I don't think those kind of (poor IMO) tactics are needed.

It will be a good game but again they should avoid focusing on passing the ball to Nasri sure he has been amazing but football is a team game, anyways Arsenal should pick up a win unless Partizan pull of a miracle

Most importantly though, he wants his players to give the ball to Samir Nasri, and rightly so, the Frenchman has been quite frankly, outstanding so far this season, notching 11 goals from only 16 starts and god knows how many assists...

Nasri’s tricks, combined with the returning Robin Van Persie and an improving, but controversial Russian in Andrey Arshavin should prove to be too superior a front three for a Partizan defence who have shipped 10 goals in Europe so far this season. Another 5 or 6-0 victory seems unlikely but no doubt fans will be relieved just to qualify and hope to avoid Barca, Madrid and company in the next round.

[/FONT]

Nasri is good, scratch that, Nasri is amazing, but our team isn't that dependant on 1 player that we must get the ball to him. He will be important but I don't think those kind of (poor IMO) tactics are needed.

It will be a good game but again they should avoid focusing on passing the ball to Nasri sure he has been amazing but football is a team game, anyways Arsenal should pick up a win unless Partizan pull of a miracle

It's been taken a little out of context here tbh. I'm simply saying that he's been outstanding this season and that he will be a key player tonight, so Arsenal should look to make him the primary playmaker and make sure he's as involved as he can be.

It's been taken a little out of context here tbh. I'm simply saying that he's been outstanding this season and that he will be a key player tonight, so Arsenal should look to make him the primary playmaker and make sure he's as involved as he can be.

but u did say in the OP that Arsenal should look to pass the ball to him, anyways I got what u meant and yeah he can act as the playmaker but I guess Partizan already have plans for him so unless he plays a much deeper Xavi-like role he will hardly excel in the Playmaker-Role

should be pretty straightforward this game for Arsenal, I say 4-1, with VP scoring twice, rosicky finally scoring, and bendtner scoring in injury time. Cleo to score for Partizan

but u did say in the OP that Arsenal should look to pass the ball to him, anyways I got what u meant and yeah he can act as the playmaker but I guess Partizan already have plans for him so unless he plays a much deeper Xavi-like role he will hardly excel in the Playmaker-Role

It's not my title ;)

That doesn't mean he isn't good enough to deal with the Partizan players, even if they "have plans for him" - He's the sort of player that can create chances from nothing (like against Fulham, who are a much better side.)

Arsenal 3 - 0 Partizan

Hoping Shakhtar at least draw tonight to claim top spot though.

0 - Arsenal are unbeaten with Andrey Arshavin in the Champions League (qualifiers included): 9 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses. Talisman.

From OptaJoe again.

It's not my title ;)

That doesn't mean he isn't good enough to deal with the Partizan players, even if they "have plans for him" - He's the sort of player that can create chances from nothing (like against Fulham, who are a much better side.)

yes but since u mention that u want him to act as a playmaker he cant do that in the role he currently plays can he as he plays quite high up the pitch, I never once questioned his ability to create chances... I just questioned his abililty to be a playmaker for his side

yes but since u mention that u want him to act as a playmaker he cant do that in the role he currently plays can he as he plays quite high up the pitch, I never once questioned his ability to create chances... I just questioned his abililty to be a playmaker for his side
yes he can, there are lots of playmakers who play high up the pitch, you dont have be playing where xavi is to do it

yes he can, there are lots of playmakers who play high up the pitch, you dont have be playing where xavi is to do it

This.

Playmaker simply means a player who looks to receive the ball and give other players an option, before distributing it forward/starting an attacking move. In Xavi's case, he looks to spread the ball out to Messi the majority of the time, likewise Fabregas drops deep to do control the game but then pushes forward and joins attacking moves.

Nasri looks to create things in the final third of the pitch more often, but also drops deep to defend/give less creative players and option/link up with Sagna.

If Arsenal lose today, and Braga win with at least 0-4, Braga and Shakhtar will qualify for next stage XD
yeah, I know it's impossible

Following surprise back-to-back defeats recently in the Champions League, Arsenal find themselves the only English side requiring any sort of result on the final matchday to qualify for the knockout stages of this season’s competition.

Below, Opta investigate the key reasons as to why the Gunners should be able to overcome Partizan Belgrade on Wednesday:

The Emirates fortress. Arsenal are unbeaten at home in the Champions League group stages since moving to the Emirates, scoring 41 goals in 14 games and conceding just four.

The difficulty of scoring in London. Since Arsenal’s 0-3 defeat at home to Inter Milan in September 2003 and Chelsea’s 0-2 defeat against Besiktas, there have been 48 Champions League group stages matches in London (including Tottenham), with just one of the 48 visiting sides managing to find the net more than once (Apoel Nicosia 2-2 at Chelsea last season), whilst none has won. On the other hand, this season alone the London sides between them have scored 29 goals at home, conceding just five.

Partizan could fluff it. Partizan Belgrade have played five Champions League matches away from home so far, losing each of these whilst scoring only one goal in total (away at Porto in 2003). In fact, since Serbia’s independence in 2006, Partizan Belgrade have played 11 matches away from home in Europe (including UEFA Cup), losing 10 of these and scoring in only two.

Arsenal are chasing a record. Five goals in this game would make Arsenal the joint-highest scoring side in a Champions League group stage (equalling Manchester United’s 20 goals in 1998/99). Though this may seem like a high target, it is worth bearing in mind that the Gunners have won their two group stage matches at home so far 6-0 and 5-1. They have already scored more goals than in any previous Champions League group stage.

The hard work is out of the way. Arsenal have accrued nine points so far in the Champions League this season: they have never previously had at least eight points after five group stage matches and failed to finish in the top two.

Here's 5 reasons why @optajoe say Arsenal will cruise this evening

Last edited:
Must win game for us. Anyone know if Robin will start?