Arsenal vs Partizan Belgrade - 08/12/2010 - Emirates Stadium

so would you rather us just get knocked out, then it wouldn't look bad.

No what i am saying, whilst qualifying 11 times on the trot is great and all, it makes your failure to win the competition a bigger failure, it shows very little progress being made in europe.

No what i am saying, whilst qualifying 11 times on the trot is great and all, it makes your failure to win the competition a bigger failure, it shows very little progress being made in europe.

Well obviously. But the consistency at such a high level of football must still be admired.

Kos was pretty close though, could be argued that it wasn't a clear goal-scoring chance and the Sagna wasn't last man.

If it had been in the penalty area, then fair enough a red was deserved, but not in this case. Hope we appeal it.

It was a yard outside of the box, so a yard difference shouldn't make the difference between a red and a yellow card. If it's a red in the box, it's a red outside of the box.

Also, you can't appeal red cards in the Champions League apart from mistaken identity, as Manchester United found out when Darren Fletcher was wrongly sent off vs Arsenal a few years back and then he missed the final because of it.

Well obviously. But the consistency at such a high level of football must still be admired.

Never said it wasnt, just said it shows no real progression being made, let me put this too you, would you rather have gone out in 2 of them years but won the competition 2 times, or have this record?

I have changed my mind it was a defenite Red-Card stupid by sagna

Never said it wasnt, just said it shows no real progression being made, let me put this too you, would you rather have gone out in 2 of them years but won the competition 2 times, or have this record?

do i really need to awnser that?

all I'm saying is that it is a feat in itself.

if it was so easy, why have chelsea not done it?

They haven't been in the competition 11 times.

I have never said it wasnt a good feat. Have chelsea even qualified for 11 straight champs league? i was just simply highlighting the other side of the record.... Dont take it so personally.

I agree but Arsenal have been building (pretty slowly) up alot of talent. Wilshire looks certain to be a 1st teamer for a while. Ramsey was looking hopefull befor the injury. Nasri is playing awsome right now. Fabregas is consistantly a really good player that Arsenal need to keep hold of.

But im not to sure about the 2 new Cbs.... Maybey the need more time.

They also need another great striker other than RVP.

Well, my opinions anyway |)

Back from the freezing cold game.

Disappointed with the performance tbh. We couldn't pass the ball, we looked shaky in defence, and every time we got the ball into the box it was behind the runner. (Theo Walcott did this twice among other players)

Just didn't seem to gel tonight at all, maybe they were tired, maybe they weren't motivated or maybe it was too cold but it wasn't good enough - If we're going to win something and/or beat Utd, we have to improve.

Don't know extent of Gibbs' injury yet, hopefully it isn't serious, he's a good player and has great potential.

Nasri was once again our most influential player - which isn't saying much - but RVP, Chamakh and Arshavin were all poor.

Man, I wish I had been there. Haven't seen a Gunners match in too long.

It was obvious that Arsene wanted a decent defensive outing, what with playing both Alex and Deni. But this ****** things up because there was no creativity in midfield. We never had much of a tempo, because those two aren't very good at creating plays.

Andrei was garbage, and has been for the past little while. People are calling for Theo to get starts, but when he does start, he never seems to perform as well as he does when coming on as a sub. Robin had a decently solid game, I think. He tried to make up for the lack of creativity by dropping back a lot to midfield (somehting he does anyway, but did more tonight).

One problem I had was with Marouane constantly going to the wings. He adds nothing when he does this, and ends up disrupting flow. He should stay up front as a target man, because frankly, it's the only way that he benefits the team.

Man, I wish I had been there. Haven't seen a Gunners match in too long.

It was obvious that Arsene wanted a decent defensive outing, what with playing both Alex and Deni. But this ****** things up because there was no creativity in midfield. We never had much of a tempo, because those two aren't very good at creating plays.

Andrei was garbage, and has been for the past little while. People are calling for Theo to get starts, but when he does start, he never seems to perform as well as he does when coming on as a sub. Robin had a decently solid game, I think. He tried to make up for the lack of creativity by dropping back a lot to midfield (somehting he does anyway, but did more tonight).

One problem I had was with Marouane constantly going to the wings. He adds nothing when he does this, and ends up disrupting flow. He should stay up front as a target man, because frankly, it's the only way that he benefits the team.

I don't agree that Arshavin has been rubbish for a while, he didn't play well last night, but he was outstanding against Villa, and put in another good performance against Fulham. He has something like 6 goals and 10 assists in all competitions - not too bad eh? He's obviously not in the form he was when he first came to Arsenal but I'm sure he'll regain that form soon.

Van Persie dropped back into midfield because he was playing as the AMC - not as a ST alongside Chamakh* - anyone who plays AMC does this, and Wenger doesn't change the core of his tactic from game-to-game whoever he plays. The AMC drops deep to pick up the ball, while the MCl (usually Wilshere) pushes forward to fill that gap - Denilson actually did this very well against Everton, and changed the game when he came on at H/T.

Again, Chamakh/ST moving into the channels is the core of the tactic, Nasri/Walcott come inside either with or without the ball because they're more comfortable in the middle, so the ST moves out wide to compensate - obviously Chamakh contributes more making runs into the box/challenging for the ball in the air but on the other hand, Nasri contributes a lot more when he's making dangerous runs through the middle - and scored his goal from the ST position.

Chamakh was poor in that he didn't win enough balls in the air, looked lethargic and miscontrolled a lot of passes - one in particular when he should have scored/taken it around the keeper and instead knocked it about 10 yards forward... RVP didn't complete a lot of simple passes and was somewhat ineffectual being played through the middle - Wenger looks like he's trying to make him into the Bergkamp type player in the abscence of Cesc, but he needs to get used to that position...

Good game by Arsenal, really nice flowing passes in patches for them although Arshavin did not offer much for the 70 odd minutes he was there, its perfectly fine as every player has their bad games, Nasri continued to show why he is Arsenal's most dangerous player so far this season while Theo scored a clinical goal to merit the praise showered upon him for his continuous improvement this season

Good game by Arsenal, really nice flowing passes in patches for them although Arshavin did not offer much for the 70 odd minutes he was there, its perfectly fine as every player has their bad games, Nasri continued to show why he is Arsenal's most dangerous player so far this season while Theo scored a clinical goal to merit the praise showered upon him for his continuous improvement this season

Fkuid passes? Did you watch the game? We couldn't pass the ball 5 yards, and Van Persie was the only player to offer something different on the edge of the box with a nice little flick for Chamakh (ONCE) but apart from that we didn't play our fluid football at all, it was all sideways or backwards as I said before and apart from a penalty and two good finishes (+ dreadful defending for the 2nd goal) we were a little lucky - Partizan didn't offer much, not because we were good, but because they are pretty awful, the goal took a big deflection and really highlighted the poor defensive form recently at the Emirates.

All of the front 3 were poor, not just Arsahvin - people seem to be ignoring Van Persie's inability to pass the ball last night because he won/scored a penalty

I agree VP's return hasn't had the effect I thought it would, hopefully he can get back to his old self soon.

I agree VP's return hasn't had the effect I thought it would, hopefully he can get back to his old self soon.

He just needs match sharpness - for some reason (probably wisely) Wenger hasn't been starting him after he recovered from injury. His role has been completely different and he hasn't played the ST role yet, but has had some nice little touches/passes etc. when he has played, just that against Partizan, no one could pass - not just him. Think Spurs for example, he set up Koscielny who should've scored. Against Wigan he played Vela in two or three times etc.