• no

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescfc

Banned
Reaction score
Arsene Wenger has today claimed he would be happy for arsenal to finish second for the next 20 years. I can understand why that would be very good from a financial point of view. However i personally felt that was unacceptable for a club of arsenals stature.

Just wondering the opinions of arsenal fans on these comments. are they acceptable ?

Got any quotes?

"As long as we are second in the league, I am ready to sign for the next 20 years and stand up for that"

I never read an article i heard the story on sky sports news this morning mate.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Same thing?

I was only wondering the opinion of arsenal fans on these comments mate.

I'm not an Arsenal supporter but this is what I keep going on about. That's what you call consistency, and it's something to be admired. If that were ManU or Chelsea, that would be failure, but Arsenal isn't one of those clubs. They're a selling club that wants to balance the books. They also want to play attractive football. If they can uphold their philosophies and finish in second place every season, than that's a huge success. But the reality is that wouldn't happen. Arsenal, in the future, will win trophies because their current crop of youngsters will grow into a great team. They'll eventually stop being a selling club when they pay off the stadium. The other obvious point is that if you're good enough to win second every season, obviously some of those years you will take the title and of course other trophies along the way. Arsenal will be that team.

Here in lies Arsenal's problems.. happy to finish runner-up when they still have a genuine chance of winning the actual thing - while United are talking about winning the treble.

Would love Arsenal winning some Premierships, but I think that MU is more consistent, Chelsea invests more, and City has money and has the potential to win in 3,4,5 years.

Not if FFP is enforced. Everyone is on Wenger's case and this time he should of just shut his mouth. But who is out there that could do just as good a job year in and year out. wenger has built a club not just a team. See that stadium, see all the facilities and the much lauded youth system? That's all Wenger. If you get rid of him you better have a **** good replacement

Yer so what if we don't win trophies, we might have an slighty light cabinet and the anguish of that year by year trophy intake being so low, but as Wenger said finishing 2nd year in year out is pretty impressive! At least doing this we will never slum to the depths of the premier league that teams such as Spurs and Liverpool have acheived. Also if u think about it for a minute....even after all the 'poor' and 'disappointing' results we have had this season e.g 3-2 WBA and 4-4 NEW we are still above the likes of Chelsea , who have spent millions and millions btw and Man City who have also done the same!!!!! So in my opinion, although a trophy would be nice to celebrate, 2nd is a pretty good standard for me...considering ;)

Not at all because they set out to win the league every season. If they said at the start of the season our target is 2nd then yes it would be acceptable.

Not if FFP is enforced. Everyone is on Wenger's case and this time he should of just shut his mouth. But who is out there that could do just as good a job year in and year out. wenger has built a club not just a team. See that stadium, see all the facilities and the much lauded youth system? That's all Wenger. If you get rid of him you better have a **** good replacement

So would you be happy for him to leave if there was someone proven who could replace him i.e guardiola

So would you be happy for him to leave if there was someone proven who could replace him i.e guardiola

Is this sarcasm? Guardiola isn't proven at all, he's done a good job at a ridiculously good team with the best players in the world.

Oh ffs - Clearly that's not what he meant.

He's defending Arsenal's position in the league and if you look at/listen to the context of it - he's talking about why 2nd is good since so many people expected us to fall out of the Top 4/5. And I thought only The Sun and co. twisted his words -- this is why media access at Arsenal has been limited recently.

Here in lies Arsenal's problems.. happy to finish runner-up when they still have a genuine chance of winning the actual thing - while United are talking about winning the treble.

Again - not what he's saying. Just that being 2nd in the most competitive league in the world isn't really a problem. Of course he/we haven't given up on the title-race.

Wenger gets criticised for saying we have a chance win four trophies (when we did, I don't need anyone telling me we don't now) and everyone says he shouldn't get the fans' hopes up (what the ****?) and should be realistic. Then when he says if we finish 2nd, it will be a successful season (compared to what people thought would happen) - he also gets criticised for not aiming high enough.

Some people can't please anyone...

Oh ffs - Clearly that's not what he meant.

He's defending Arsenal's position in the league and if you look at/listen to the context of it - he's talking about why 2nd is good since so many people expected us to fall out of the Top 4/5. And I thought only The Sun and co. twisted his words -- this is why media access at Arsenal has been limited recently.

Again - not what he's saying. Just that being 2nd in the most competitive league in the world isn't really a problem. Of course he/we haven't given up on the title-race.

Wenger gets criticised for saying we have a chance win four trophies (when we did, I don't need anyone telling me we don't now) and everyone says he shouldn't get the fans' hopes up (what the ****?) and should be realistic. Then when he says if we finish 2nd, it will be a successful season (compared to what people thought would happen) - he also gets criticised for not aiming high enough.

Some people can't please anyone...

Or they just simply love to knock somebody. I'm only gonna say this one more time, as I'm sick of hearing Wenger getting slammed. He has been fantastic for Arsenal. Yes, there have been slip-ups. But for christ ****** sake-every manager has had a slip up. No matter what he does, or says, he gets slammed. It's pathetic

Or they just simply love to knock somebody. I'm only gonna say this one more time, as I'm sick of hearing Wenger getting slammed. He has been fantastic for Arsenal. Yes, there have been slip-ups. But for christ ****** sake-every manager has had a slip up. No matter what he does, or says, he gets slammed. It's pathetic

Now you see why SAF's relationship with the media is also poor in this country, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Now you see why SAF's relationship with the media is also poor in this country, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

SAF picks his favourite journalists as well, doesn't he? Some get exclusive access etc.

SAF picks his favourite journalists as well, doesn't he? Some get exclusive access etc.

He picks the ones he feels he can trust, compare that to abroad where he will speak to any journalist who approaches him. If you dont play their game here, they turn it on you

He picks the ones he feels he can trust, compare that to abroad where he will speak to any journalist who approaches him. If you dont play their game here, they turn it on you

Yeah that's what I mean.

Yeah that's what I mean.

Its something Wenger should consider doing in future, sad but true. While I belive there are certain area he should be criticised in (already spoken about it so wont go over it again), in same way there are areas that SAF could be criticised in; the manner and level of criticism is ridiculous

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.