Aston Villa Guide

• Thread starter Thread starter DavidGinola
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 35K

DavidGinola

Reaction score
Aston Villa Guide
Villa have recently fallen on hard times, both financially and on the pitch. There once champions league place chasing team has been dismantled and replaced with a young and hungry approach. There is no money to spend thus trimming the squad can be done to bring in a few players that are needed for a successful season. Sadly you will not be able to bring in too many players thus this season is about developing ones you already have and maintaining a top 12 finish. The backroom staff are adequate although a few quality coaches may be looked at as the season progresses.

Budgets

£0 – Transfer Fees
+75k – Wage Budget

Goalkeepers

Shay Given – 3 ½ star
Brad Guzan - 3 ½ star
Benjamin Siegrist - 1 star – 2 ½ star

A strong position set for Villa. Both Guzan and Given make for good starting keepers with Siergrist a decent prospect who can keep the 3rd​ slot without taking up a squad place. Guzan shows a slightly better attribute set in key areas, yet try both and see which fits best.

Full Backs

Alan Hutton - 2 ½ star
Matthew Lowton - 2 ½ star – 3 star
Stephen Warnock - 3 star
Joe Bennett – 2 star – 2 ½ star
Eric Lichaj – 2 star

Villa seem fairly week here. Warnock will do for a season but is definitely on the decline as a footballer. Bennett and Lowton are both young full backs however only Lowton can command a starting spot. Hutton is a fairly poor defending full back however can cause problems for the opposition as an attacking full back option. Warnock can be given 1 season until he is out of contract and released on a free unless you want to accept a very cut price offer for him straight off with no real funds to replace. Lichaj can be sold or loaned as he is surplus to requirements. Oscar Wendt available at 1.5 mil is a decent acquisition on the cheap.

Centre Backs

Richard Dunne - 4 star
Ron Vlaar 4 - star
Ciaran Clark - 3 star – 3 ½ star
Nathan Baker – 2 star - 3 star

With Richard Dunne staring off the game out for around 2 months, it may be worth looking into a loan deal. Dunne’s natural fitness is a concern as is his age, however he is a solid dependable centre back to partner Vlaar. Clark offers good back up with a viable starting offer. Baker as well is a good choice for 4th​ choice. Michael Mancienne can make for a cheapish replacement for Dunne at little over 1.5 mil. His pace will certainly come into play in a fairly ageing a slow defence.

Wingers

Charles N’Zogbia – 3 ½ star
Marc Albrighton – 2 ½ star – 3 ½ star
Brett Holman – 2 ½ star
Gabby Agbonlahor – 4 star

With the players here all favouring to be on the right flank and pushed up as AM R/L, it is worth using N’Zogbia on the right and Agbonlahor as a makeshift left AM until you gather some funds to improve the left flank. Holman is solid back up and Albrighton can push for first team easily. An ageing Albert Riera can be a short term cheap option on the transfer market.

Central Midfield

Ashley Westwood – 2 ½ star – 3 star
Karim El Ahamadi – 3 star
Barry Bannan – 2 star – 3 star
Fabian Delph – 2 ½ star – 3 ½ star
Gary Gardner – 2 star – 4 star
Chris Herd – 2 star
Stephen Ireland – 3 ½ star

Again Villa have a strength in depth with younger players such as Gary Gardner and Fabian Delph having high potential ratings. Chris Herd is surplus to requirements and Barry Bannan may be offloaded for funds as there is enough strength in depth to play without him. Ireland is easily the best play here when put in an AM role. If you play 5 in midfield as this guide suggests you may consider loaning an AM such as Nick Powell for depth.

Strikers

Jordan Bowery – 2 ½ star
Darren Bent - 3 ½ star
Gabby Agbonlahor – 4 star
Andi Wiemann – 2 star – 3 ½ star
Christian Benteke 2 ½ star – 4 star

Depending on whether you employ Agbonlahor as a winger, there is good strength and depth here. Bent is a proven finisher and can play with support or without. Use Ireland off the striker in an AM role or Benteke. Bowery can be loaned out then sold season after as he is not good enough. Wiemann and Benteke are both fantastic back up players with great potential. Utilise throughout the season.

Summary

Villa seem to have an abundance of quantity over quality. There are a number of players that are surplus to requirements and many that can be sold after a season (Westwood/Bowery/Given) and some that can be sold in January (Dunne Warnock) so they are not released on a free. Players such as Westwood can be used late on to shore up the midfield and Benteke to add pace and guile against a tiring defence.

Tactics

4-5-1 is this users favoured tactic (Counter) with El Ahamadi and Delph playing deep lying CM roles (Ball winning midfielder /// Deep lying Playmaker) and Ireland as AM (Attacking). Agbonlahor and N’Zogbia can be employed as AM R/L (Inside forward /// Winger). Use quck passing down the wings, and plenty of through balls for bent. Set El Ahamadi as playmaker and sit the defence fairly deep as they are not blessed with pace. Let Ireland shoot frequently and put through balls for Bent. Play through the wings and you should get 4 attacking players with pace and guile to finish off many teams.

Last edited:
First ever attempt at this. Hope its all ok. Feedback would be appreciated :]

i have tried this and struggled, you can sell bent for 16.5m at the start to chelsea/tottenham.

i sold dunne for 2m
warnock for 2m
given 500k

i only sold them to free up the wage bill and aging players.

i think this has a difficulty rating of 9/10 i got sacked in november. they finished 20th after hiring keegan who bought awfully in january.

i think villa need to go down on Fm just to get rid of the average players who want to player in the Prem.

N'zogbia and Albrighton offer nothing.

i find holman a better supporting wide player.

benteke/agbon seem a decent enough pairing if you do sell bent.

It is a big ask. The lack of any budget makes it a tough start. Selling Bent seems hit and miss. I've managed to sell him before for 15mil. But in the save I started today he wouldnt even go for 12 mil. Same with Warnock, hit and miss whether anyone buys him. If you get lucky and get rid then theres obviously a lot more quality to be brought in. I've found N'Zog to be fairly effective.

I support Villa myself but I never manage them in FM until a few seasons into the game...

I did start a game with them during the Beta just to get use to it... As a fan I also dont keep guys I dont like so the likes of Warnock and Bannan were out the door as soon as I arrived...
You have a number of options and its generally based on how you wana play Iv had experience with a 442 narrow diamond so I played that worked out alright....
IRL Villa really need a creative wide player and same for CM... The problem is we have lots of supports players who are all rounders rather than good at one particular thing...

I started a villa save and am now 3 seasons into this bad boy!! ive surprised myself with actually doing a pretty decent job with this team.

1st season was a struggle with both form and trying to find a decent tactic, finished 12th but only after picking 9 points from the last 3 games which basically saved me from the drop it was that tight. Also signing Alan Dzageov on a free around xmas helped!!

2nd season i was amazingly given a 25m budget which i adjusted some for my wage budget which let me bring in a whole load of top players on including Jelle Vossen, Neil Eardley, Bram Nuytinck, Vladimir Weiss. Bought Steven Fletcher from Sunderland for 8m and also brought in Michael Essien and Javi Garcia on season loans. After a typical slow start 10 points from 9 games and on the verge of the dole queue i pulled it round finishing a lofty 6th missing out on europe due to teams below winning the League and FA cups.

3rd Season again decent budget of around 10-15m helped me to bring in Jonathan Dos Santos and Daniel Agger whilst getting Garcia and Victor Moses on loan. Im half way through this season and again started really slow but have again gained momentum and im currently in 10th with 15 games left.

i play a deep 4-2-3-1 with 2 holding midfielders, both wide men are inside forwards and my forward plays a nice little poacher role (perfect for bent, who i try to get rid of every season but stays and bangs in 15-20 a season)

i love this save but.......with the squad i have i dont know why it takes 20 games to get going. Ohhhhhhhh and my cup runs are terrible!! Harrogate railway have a better chance of winning the FA cup than i do.

If you fancy a decent Premiership Challange you gotta give Aston Villa the sleeping giant ago

i tried to snare javi garcia, with the new addition of commenting on players, it wound up mancini but he loved my praise i think i said how he was wasted on the bench... trouble is i got sacked in late october and javi was unhappy and wanted first team football. i think my main failure was the weak midfield and poor tactics.

i struggled with the tactics for ages with Villa!! 2 strong holding midfielders like Garcia and Essien worked wonders for me. Restrict there freedom and get them to stick to position and you have the base of a decent formations for a team like Villa making them hard to beat is the key........but saying that ive been to Arsenal 3 or 4 times and conceded 4 or 5 everytime so its not flawless haha

I started a villa save and am now 3 seasons into this bad boy!! ive surprised myself with actually doing a pretty decent job with this team.

1st season was a struggle with both form and trying to find a decent tactic, finished 12th but only after picking 9 points from the last 3 games which basically saved me from the drop it was that tight. Also signing Alan Dzageov on a free around xmas helped!!

2nd season i was amazingly given a 25m budget which i adjusted some for my wage budget which let me bring in a whole load of top players on including Jelle Vossen, Neil Eardley, Bram Nuytinck, Vladimir Weiss. Bought Steven Fletcher from Sunderland for 8m and also brought in Michael Essien and Javi Garcia on season loans. After a typical slow start 10 points from 9 games and on the verge of the dole queue i pulled it round finishing a lofty 6th missing out on europe due to teams below winning the League and FA cups.

3rd Season again decent budget of around 10-15m helped me to bring in Jonathan Dos Santos and Daniel Agger whilst getting Garcia and Victor Moses on loan. Im half way through this season and again started really slow but have again gained momentum and im currently in 10th with 15 games left.

i play a deep 4-2-3-1 with 2 holding midfielders, both wide men are inside forwards and my forward plays a nice little poacher role (perfect for bent, who i try to get rid of every season but stays and bangs in 15-20 a season)

i love this save but.......with the squad i have i dont know why it takes 20 games to get going. Ohhhhhhhh and my cup runs are terrible!! Harrogate railway have a better chance of winning the FA cup than i do.

If you fancy a decent Premiership Challange you gotta give Aston Villa the sleeping giant ago

Sounds like a good idea, I think playing with 2 DM's as Villa is crucial, I am a Villa fan and have started a game with them and I'm really struggling in the 1st season with tactics etc, tried lots of different things but I might start again and learn from my mistakes! Would you be able to post some screen shots of your formation and more importantly team instructions and some player instructions? I would like to see how you have set your 2 DM's and your AMC. Thanks

yeah will do mate, will post some tonight for you see if can help you out and make the mighty Villa great again!!

Currently Villa at mo. Had a rubbish pre season (442) with no transfer activity. Just couldn't offload any 1. Managed to get John Carew in on a free and loan mancienne fortunately with no fee. Lost 1st few games but had to persevere and paying off now. Some how 4th in league! 4312 bent 39/ 27 and benteke (hold up ball) 34 / 14 banging in the goals! But also conceding loads? Clark and delph on the left have been immense. Just at jan transfer window. Finally got sum money in but had to sacrifice gabby and nzog, both to spurs. Will update you how 2nd half of season goes

does anyone have a saved tactic with 2 holding dms? i havent found a decent tactic that i like.

how do you upload pics?? ive gone into FM and saved via the print screen option and saved them in 2013 file option but cant upload them here

does anyone have a saved tactic with 2 holding dms? i havent found a decent tactic that i like.

Try Raikan's Might and Magic tactic, the latest version is two DM's one of which is a DLP but defensively minded. Also try Yurt's Plan C tactic that also has 2 DM's, that one is very defensive though and is set to contain.

You can find them both in the tactics section.

how do you upload pics?? ive gone into FM and saved via the print screen option and saved them in 2013 file option but cant upload them here

Not sure, personal message one of the moderators like The Better Half or Raikan or start a new thread in the discussion section, someone will know.

sold bent for £16.25m and brought in Ba for £7m, best piece of business i have done, ba is scoring and when called upon Benteke gives and extra burst in the last 30 minutes

Last edited:
also i am aston villa but do not know anyone else who fits the bill on the right wing for cheap, i have £9m left but dont know who fits the bill

Back