Aston Villa Guide

• Thread starter Thread starter DavidGinola
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 35K
First thing to do when taken over Villa is to sign Rroyston Drenthe on a free, also Del Horno, Hargreaves and VandenBorre to add abit of depth. Sell Bent and buy Wellington Nem for 3.5 million. Attempt to sign Dzagoev on a pre contract and you'll get him in January. I find that you can get Javi Garcia on loan from City also if you pay the right monthly fee. With your Bent fee and signing Wellington you've probably around 10/11 leftover to spend on 1 or 2 more players, preferrably another striker and a decent defender.

also i am aston villa but do not know anyone else who fits the bill on the right wing for cheap, i have £9m left but dont know who fits the bill

well for the 1st season i stuck with Gabby on the right and managed to get Vladmir Weiss on a free in the summer. you might be able to get him cheap if you wanted to bid for him always puts in a shift for me. With 9m though you should be able to buy a decent winger. Jordan Henderson always seems to do well on the game for some reason try nab him on a loan deal.

nice one mate, might need a few tweaks here and there but there a good base!!

Just finished my 3rd season with the Villa finished a lowly 14th but managed to win the FA Cup which i think kept me from getting the chop to fair!! Started to prepare for my assault on the Europa League when old Whiskey Nose (Sir Alex) retires from United to which i have been headhunted and offered the job......was just to good to turn down really and the 89 million budget was a nice bonus too. Feel like ive betrayed my beloved Villa especially after the result on saturday haha.

Just finished my 3rd season with the Villa finished a lowly 14th but managed to win the FA Cup which i think kept me from getting the chop to fair!! Started to prepare for my assault on the Europa League when old Whiskey Nose (Sir Alex) retires from United to which i have been headhunted and offered the job......was just to good to turn down really and the 89 million budget was a nice bonus too. Feel like ive betrayed my beloved Villa especially after the result on saturday haha.

Max how could you?

Just finished 1st season in 14th, poor season but wasted half of it trying to find the right tactic to fit. Going with a 4-4-1-1 for next season, bought Dzagoev, Abidal and Quaresma in on frees so hoping for a much improved season, plus I hear you get decent cash to start the season off with as well. Finding that Benteke scores so many headed goals so focussing on having fast wingers and getting them to pump balls into the box with shouts like exploit flanks, play wider, pump ball into box and float the crosses.

Will let you know how I get on in 2nd season with screen shots.

im currently playing as villa and im half way through my first season, im currently 8th in the league, i got Anderson from United on loan, bought glenn whelan, got Drenthe for free and Rob Hulse on loan as a sub target man, i play an attacking 4-4-2 and im doing well, got whelan and anderson in the centre of midfield with bent and benteke upfront, i sold Ireland for 5 mill, given for 250k, which freed up a lot of wages which allowed me to agree a pre contract with, David Ospina, Salvatore Bochetti, Emiliano Viviano, Joan Oriol and Vladimir Weiss, hoping to sell Guzan, Warnock, Dunne, Holman, Westwood, El Ahmadi to free up lots of wages and give me some spare cash, you can easily build a good young squad for Villa, first save on this FM ive actually enjoyed :)

im playing a new game with villa, i am using the goals galore tactic.

sold bent for 17.75m to chelsea.

bought whittaker LB from rangers for 2.4m
signed
Vassell
Reo-Coker
Gordon
and signed up Gauld (youngster from dundee?)

also loaned a lb/rb from tottenham which i cannot remember his name.

so far having a **** season. i changed the ST from AF to Poacher hoping to use agbonlahor as the main striker and Benteke as an impact player.

i dont really know who to chop at the moment.

i was thinking another winger due to N'Zogbia being lazy or 'uninterested' as the teamtalk feedback constanstly tells me. probably much like real life.

Holman has found some form the same with Vlaar. i cant help but think the weakness is RB with Lowton and Hutton both being only rated 2.5 stars at the moment. i think lowton will develop and hutton is a waste of wage. i thwarted tottenhams drive up the league with a 4 - 2 away victory but lose to wigan 2 - 1 at home.

i know the game thinks players have to mold together but is this what is causing me poor performances as i buy 4 -5 players and the new transfers from (real life) the transfer window that would have been lamberts first players in. does this cause the lack of consitancy ive aimed at uk based players so i dont have a worry of language barrier but cant win 2 on the bounce at the moment.

any ideas?

I just finished my first season with Villa, i wasnt very impressed but it sounds like no one has a great first season with them. I finished 15th, got to the final and lost in the league cup and got to the semi finals of the FA cup.

the main formation i kept using was 4-2-4 and i rotated my squad alot due to injuries or just poor form, my main line ups were:

GK: Guzan
DR: Lichaj
DC: Clarke & Vlaar
DL: Stephens
MC (DLP & BWM) Delph & Gardener
AMR: Agbonlahor
AML: Nzongbia
STR (DLF & AF) Benteke & Bent

I used counter, pressing more and shorter passing.

I'm about to start season 2 and i've bought Tom Ince (6 mil) and Chamack (sp?) (2.1 mil) as most of the games i lost to lower quality teams was only due to my inability to convert chances.

I'm in season 5 with Villa now. Positions in the first 4 seasons went 9th, 4th, 5th (having been distracted by an epic Champions League run and struggling in the league with a small ish squad) and then 1st.

First season I played a 4-2-3-1 (2 midfielders playing as DLPs), one AMC, AMR, AML and Bent playing as a poacher up front. With Ireland playing AMC, Bent as a poacher and the wingers being rotated I managed some good results, I picked up Dzagoev as well and he has been brilliant.

Perhaps my biggest piece of good fortune was having an amazing first youth intake with three who became wonder kids! The first season was really tough, but Villa have some great young players who have really developed. For example, in season 5 I now have Josh Webb, Jack Grealish and Ciaran Clark as important first team players. Added to that my great youth intake from season one and I've got half a team of academy graduates in my first team. I spent some time developing Baker and he still players a bit part role, as does Lowton and Weimann. Jordan Graham would more than likely be a first team regular as well, but he got a broken leg and lost 7 months which ruined his development completely.

Definitely a challenging first season but it's been really good fun!

Start of 2nd season team and tactics

Here is belated update...Finished 6th in the end. Very pleased. Managed to offload some rags, hutton etc and this is what I have to play with 2nd season

Wilfried Zaha. Did wonders on the right wing for me with Man City.

Has anyone tried a formation with 3 CB's yet? I've been playing around and it seems ok tbh. I'm thinking of doing something like this:

GK: Brad Guzan

RCB(d): Ron Vlaar
LD(c): Jores Okore (£1.3m)/Grant Hanley(£2.5m + Fabian Delph)
LCB(d): Ciaran Clark

LWB: Juan Sanchez Mino (£2.5m)
RWB: Matthew Lowton

MCL: Barry Bannan
BWM(D): Victor Wanyama (£6.25m)/Sebastian Rode (£10m)
MCR: Stephen Ireland

TM: Christian Benteke/Marouame Chamakh (Loan)
PCH: Andreas Weimann/Gabriel Agbonlahor

With only a few players being brought into the starting 11 it shouldn't impact my squad harmony too much, and my changes can be afforded by the sales of Bent(£20m) & N'Zogbia(£7m) and wage budget freed up with the sale of Given (£300k), Hutton (Loan), Delph (£1.5m) and maybe Warnock (£1.5m) it means I should be able to pick up a few young back up players and loans for some experience while keeping an eye on players who will be out of contract at the start of the second season (Destro, Sanogo, Ospina etc.)

After reading through most of this I might give the Villains a try out. I'd suggest to you guys that Jores Okore and Simon Kjaer are two decent centre backs and will cost around 4.3 million between them. Wellington Nem is a must and I'd look to bring in some young english championship players like Willie Hughes and Mason Bennett from Derby and Wilifred Zaha from Palace or even Nathom Redmond.

Again this is all dependant on whether you can offload Bent and probably N'Zogbia in my eyes.

The Asier del Horno shout above was good and Drenthe would be a better option than N'Zogbia

Also has anyone tried to bring in Craig Gordon on a free transfer, he'd probs be a better option than Given and Guzan.

As I support them I decided to manage Villa and this time I have become more successful than I am with them. I play a counter attacking 442, always passing through the flanks and early crosses for the fast forwards to easily reach. After January i'm currently 5th, hope I stay somewhere there :)

Just starting my 3rd season with my beloved AVFC!

I started off wanting to keep as many of the current crop as possible, unfortunately they didnt develop as I wanted, so Ive ended up offloading most of them.

Current squad...

View attachment 297161

Finished 6th first season, then 4th last, I lost the Europa Cup Final to Galatasaray last season and Stuttgart knocked me out of the Champions League qualifiers.

Max how could you?

Just finished 1st season in 14th, poor season but wasted half of it trying to find the right tactic to fit. Going with a 4-4-1-1 for next season, bought Dzagoev, Abidal and Quaresma in on frees so hoping for a much improved season, plus I hear you get decent cash to start the season off with as well. Finding that Benteke scores so many headed goals so focussing on having fast wingers and getting them to pump balls into the box with shouts like exploit flanks, play wider, pump ball into box and float the crosses.

Will let you know how I get on in 2nd season with screen shots.

Isn't that what pre season is for?

Back