Aston Villa Guide

• Thread starter Thread starter DavidGinola
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 35K
After the new update I always sell Bent, Ireland, Dunne and Given. QPR nearly buy them all.

Benteke upfront of a 4-3-3.

Albrighton and NZogbia are good wide and provide assists for Benteke as Target man Attack

Westwood, Delph and Sylla in midfield.

Play Counter v bigger teams, attack v Relegation rivals.

Here's my guide to Villa

The Aston Villa Paul Lambert challenge.

As a massive Villa fan (& know it all) here's my take on how to manage Villa on FM.

Firstly, make sure the challenge is correctly setup.

I've set Villas repuation lower, so they expect to be in a relegation battle.

Also, pre-season budget needs to be set at about £5m transfer kitty and about -£50k a week wage budget.

What I do firstly is sell the following players (Here's who they usually go to).

Shay Given £100k Fulham
Stephen Ireland £1m QPR or Crystle Palace (with £30k a week contributed by Villa for a the last year of his Villa contract).
Richard Dunne £500k Wigan.
Darren Bent £10m QPR or Chelsea.

Straight away that's given you some transfer cash and the wage bill is way better off.

Then I sign Rob Elliot from Newcastle for ~£230k as a good backup keeper. Craig Gordon is another good backup, but you'll have to sack off a coach, as he wants a part time coaching role and the club is already maxed out on 6.

I then try and keep the Lambert method by signing younger, hungry players that will have a decent PA by the time they've settled in and found form.

I usually sign Nathan Redmond from Birmingham City or Matt Phillips from Blackpool to play wide right.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 (or 4-5-1/4-3-3) as it's known in the real world.

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Bennett
Sylla
Westwood Gardner
Agbonlahor ......................... NZogbia
Benteke

Some of you will look at that line up and say Who?

Here's the basics of what I do with my tactics and players.

Guzan - Standard Keeper Defend
Lowton - Wing Back (Automatic) - Cross mixed, aim for target man.
Vlaar - Limited Defender (Defend) - Press all over pitch and keep passing mixed
Clark - Ball Playing Defender (Defend) - Passing short and press own area. Let Vlaar go to the ball
Bennett - Wing Back (Automatic) - Cross mixed, aim for target man.
Sylla - Defensive Midfielder (Defend) - Very limited player. Press, win the ball and give it.
Westwood - Deep Lying Playmaker (Defend) - Shorter passing, hold up ball.
Gardner - Centre Midfield (Attack) - Long shots, through balls.
NZogbia - Winger (Support) - Cross from mixed to target man. Hug touchline. Run with ball.
Agbonlahor - Winger (Support) - Cross from mixed to target man. Move into channels. Run with ball.
Benteke - Target Man (Attack) - Hold up ball, long shots.

I don't tinker with the team tactics too much. I play slightly higher up, wide and counter attack (yes).

I switch between 2 approaches. Attack and Counter, depending on the opposition.

Playmaker - Gardner
Target Man - Benteke
Style - Mixed

Villa have some useful squad players on the bench that can cover an array of positions.

Weimann
KEA
Holman
Herd
Baker
Lichaj
Bannan
Delph

Even with the avoid relegation season expectations, you can easily get a top 10 finish with Villa and expect a bigger job offer mid way through season 2.Season 2 I was 2nd after 20 games and got Man Utd job offer.

That's a very simple guide, but that's how I set my stall out and I've always done pretty well.

If you load a game since the recent update you start 100k over wage budget with £0 transfer budget. I don't think giving them £5m and 50k wages is much of a challenge to be honest. I've just finished my 1st season on the update with villa and finished in 8th and qualified for euro cup. I switch between a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 (playing direct into benteke) and I also use an attacking 4-4-2 against similar/lower rep teams.

on the new update it is also impossible to sell dunne (injured), Ireland (wages) and given (wages) which makes it even harder!

I have no issues selling Given. Fulham always buy him. Dunne usually shifts in January

i have tried this and struggled, you can sell bent for 16.5m at the start to chelsea/tottenham.

i sold dunne for 2m
warnock for 2m
given 500k

i only sold them to free up the wage bill and aging players.

i think this has a difficulty rating of 9/10 i got sacked in november. they finished 20th after hiring keegan who bought awfully in january.

i think villa need to go down on Fm just to get rid of the average players who want to player in the Prem.

N'zogbia and Albrighton offer nothing.

i find holman a better supporting wide player.

benteke/agbon seem a decent enough pairing if you do sell bent.

It must be your tactic, i'm doing fine with some emergency bring-ins.

Just did a season with Aston Villa, and holy shiiit how insane it was. The results completely blew my mind. I use the LFCMarshall update.

This is my tranfers:

View attachment 465541

Also note that I bought Pedro Obiang in the January window and sold Kozak in the January window too.

Neil Maupay and Tony Watt are must-buys imo, they are incredibly skilled and net a lot. Also everyone should buy Strandberg, immense defender, cheap and very good. Will Hughes is also a very talented player, but I assume most people here are aware of him. Drage, Forrest and Kadrii are future prospects, although I've never bought Forrest before.

I sold Gabby because he isn't that good really, and after I signed Watt and Maupay there were too many strikers. Got a good price for him. Loaned some youngsters because they wouldn't get too much play time, and hopefully they will develop and reunite with the team as better players.

Also got rid of some staff members and bought new ones.

Formation:

View attachment 465540

The seaon has just been finished and the players are on vacation, hence the crappy form. This is btw not my most used line-up, some players were injured etc. But the most vital players were Vlaar, Strandberg, Obiang, Westwood, Weimann, Benteke, Maupay and Watt. I trained Weimann to become a right winger, he was quite impressive.

And lets jump to the results.

Premier League:

View attachment 465539

The FA cup

View attachment 465538

Amazing game. Teared them apart.

In the Carling Cup, I reached the semis. Lost undeservedly against Arsenal, I was so close to go the final.

All in all an amazing season, if you have any questions just ask.

Last edited:
Back