Avoiding loss when reduced to 10 men

Devians

Reaction score
In the recent seasons, my player are getting a lot of red cards. Previously I always decided to switch 3-5-1 when such situation happens but now-a-days I have been losing a lot. Mainly the wingers cause me more trouble. I play coentrao and alves as the right & left midfielders with the role wide midfielder and duty automatic. But when i set them to defensive wingers on defend duty then they hardly venture forward. Should i change their instruction or buy a new set of full backs or adopt a new tactics or is their anything else that i can do??

Sorry for my bad English and thanks in advance :)

I would drop them to either fullback or wingbacks.

I have a very good record playing with 10 men, worse in FM13 and FM14 than in previous, but still decent, I think. In FM14 it's 7 wins, 10 draws and 7 losses while playing without a man. I usually change to a 4-1DM-2MC-2ST, exploit middle, higher tempo, more direct passes and control or higher. When I go one man down I either keep mentality or go more attacking, but I never go more defensive (which may be more risky in this version and perhaps now going more defensive would improve my performances with ten men). I undo look for overlap if I had it active and the full backs I set to support or defend, depending on how threatening is the opposition in the wings.

I have a very good record playing with 10 men, worse in FM13 and FM14 than in previous, but still decent, I think. In FM14 it's 7 wins, 10 draws and 7 losses while playing without a man. I usually change to a 4-1DM-2MC-2ST, exploit middle, higher tempo, more direct passes and control or higher. When I go one man down I either keep mentality or go more attacking, but I never go more defensive (which may be more risky in this version and perhaps now going more defensive would improve my performances with ten men). I undo look for overlap if I had it active and the full backs I set to support or defend, depending on how threatening is the opposition in the wings.

That sounds like a kamikaze tactic, but I bet you win a few despite being down to 10! I do the opposite, since I play 4-4-2 and it's easy to adapt as you just go to 4-4-1. I just put alot more players on defend duty and more defensive overall (anything from Defensive to Standard depending on the circumstances). However I made the mistake once in the Europa League knockouts against Fiorentina of using all 3 subs only for my BWM in the 4-4-2 to get sent off! We were 3-1 at 80 minutes when the red came out and having put an 18 yo striker in CM, they put 3 past us in 10 minutes to win 4-3 (6)

Switch to defensive mentality then use the following shouts - drop deep, retain possession.
Also I'd use a tactic that has a flat 4 defensive line plus 1 DM to protect the top.
You don't want wingbacks when you are playing with 10 men down.

The problem is if you are behind with 10 men, you are screwed, but if you are even, then play for the draw and use the above suggestions.

PS If you are playing FM full version, you want to make sure that a defensive mentality tactic with the 4-1 flat defense is one of your 3 tactics so you don't lose fluidity in such situations.

I got one opportunity to make use of your advice and it atleast secured a draw away to Palermo.

That sounds like a kamikaze tactic, but I bet you win a few despite being down to 10! I do the opposite, since I play 4-4-2 and it's easy to adapt as you just go to 4-4-1. I just put alot more players on defend duty and more defensive overall (anything from Defensive to Standard depending on the circumstances). However I made the mistake once in the Europa League knockouts against Fiorentina of using all 3 subs only for my BWM in the 4-4-2 to get sent off! We were 3-1 at 80 minutes when the red came out and having put an 18 yo striker in CM, they put 3 past us in 10 minutes to win 4-3 (6)

I have only one set of wide players for playing 4-4-1, I have to buy new wide men. But will try if i buy new full backs

Switch to defensive mentality then use the following shouts - drop deep, retain possession.
Also I'd use a tactic that has a flat 4 defensive line plus 1 DM to protect the top.
You don't want wingbacks when you are playing with 10 men down.

The problem is if you are behind with 10 men, you are screwed, but if you are even, then play for the draw and use the above suggestions.

PS If you are playing FM full version, you want to make sure that a defensive mentality tactic with the 4-1 flat defense is one of your 3 tactics so you don't lose fluidity in such situations.
But for instructions too i have to buy new full backs but ur instruction looks interesting
Will try to use ur instruction :)

Last edited:
It depends on who gets the card. I normally don't change too much but will substitute in such a way that I take a striker off so the defense remains intact.It also depends on the timing of the red card, if you set drop deep and retain posssession too early you will be under fire for a long time.if it's the last 15 minutes it can be a very good way to survive.

Also, don't forget to warn or fine the player who gets the red cards as this will improve their behaviour in the long run

When down to 10 men , i do one and the same thing since Football Manager 2007 , and still works. You change to 4-3-2 flat line , and most of the time the two FC's are poacher - attack. Didn't change anything from team instructions ...only if play against very big team (barca , real , man city , ect.) And manage to hold my lead or win even games every time... So try it and send some feedback :)

When i go down to 10 men i normally switch my mentality to Counter, with the AI trying to push up further forward i normally end up to go on scoring and holding on to the win. Adding the Drop deeper instruction also goes well with counter as theres more space for your attacking players to exploit.

But to be honest i wouldn't say there is a "Definite" way of holding on to a draw or avoiding defeat. sometimes you just have to hope the ME doesn't screw you over :p

I remove my striker and play him in the hole left behind, so the formation becomes 4-5 just like what Inter and Chelsea did to deal with Barca when they were a man down.

When down to 10 men , i do one and the same thing since Football Manager 2007 , and still works. You change to 4-3-2 flat line , and most of the time the two FC's are poacher - attack. Didn't change anything from team instructions ...only if play against very big team (barca , real , man city , ect.) And manage to hold my lead or win even games every time... So try it and send some feedback :)

The problem is that I play with 3-6-1 and the striker is the only true striker I have cause he rarely get injured or tired. I think it's time for shifting to 4 defenders. Will a shadow striker make up for one striker????

It depends on who gets the card. I normally don't change too much but will substitute in such a way that I take a striker off so the defense remains intact.It also depends on the timing of the red card, if you set drop deep and retain posssession too early you will be under fire for a long time.if it's the last 15 minutes it can be a very good way to survive.

Also, don't forget to warn or fine the player who gets the red cards as this will improve their behaviour in the long run

I dont always fine them because all the players are with big egos and gets angry every time but now i will try to fine them

The problem is that I play with 3-6-1 and the striker is the only true striker I have cause he rarely get injured or tired. I think it's time for shifting to 4 defenders. Will a shadow striker make up for one striker????

I play a 4:2:3:1 If a CM or defender gets sent off I take the striker off and set my AMC to SS, Works just as well. If one of my Attacking mids gets sent off I change the attacker to an f9 and the wingers to inside forwards on attack and shift the AMC to either wing if its a winger thats been sent off (hope that makes sense lol)

I play a 4:2:3:1 If a CM or defender gets sent off I take the striker off and set my AMC to SS, Works just as well. If one of my Attacking mids gets sent off I change the attacker to an f9 and the wingers to inside forwards on attack and shift the AMC to either wing if its a winger thats been sent off (hope that makes sense lol)

Will try this and also will try also will a 3 defender line. :)

Champions League Final 2014 Against Man Utd ...

Early 4th Minute Red Card ...

Surely The Odds Are Stacked Against Me To Win ...

View attachment 413986View attachment 413985

Ooooooh Yeahhhh (H) LewanGOALski

P.S Utd didn't have a shot on target until after the 80th minute where they ended up getting 4 shots and all of them being CCC :S This is an online game with a mate as well !!!

I usually maintain a back line of 4, defensive mentality and all that if winning, hoofball if chasing the game. I always have a big Target Man in my squad, either on bench or starting. 4-4-1, Counter/Attacking (Depending on time left, opposition and all that), rigid, Go route one, much higher tempo.

Champions League Final 2014 Against Man Utd ...

Early 4th Minute Red Card ...

Surely The Odds Are Stacked Against Me To Win ...

View attachment 513667View attachment 513669

Ooooooh Yeahhhh (H) LewanGOALski

P.S Utd didn't have a shot on target until after the 80th minute where they ended up getting 4 shots and all of them being CCC
:S This is an online game with a mate as well !!!

What instruction did you used???

What instruction did you used???

From the beginning of the game i selected "Push Higher Up" and "Offside Trap" and kept it that way the whole game. All i did was move Ozil into the Right attacking midfield position after red card and change from "Control" to "Counter". Although maybe changing to Contain for the last 10 minutes of the game would have probably helped and held on to the lead.

From the beginning of the game i selected "Push Higher Up" and "Offside Trap" and kept it that way the whole game. All i did was move Ozil into the Right attacking midfield position after red card and change from "Control" to "Counter". Although maybe changing to Contain for the last 10 minutes of the game would have probably helped and held on to the lead.

Going defensive has never helped me but will still try again for a different result

I usually maintain a back line of 4, defensive mentality and all that if winning, hoofball if chasing the game. I always have a big Target Man in my squad, either on bench or starting. 4-4-1, Counter/Attacking (Depending on time left, opposition and all that), rigid, Go route one, much higher tempo.

Will this work on a defensive line of 3??

I dont always fine them because all the players are with big egos and gets angry every time but now i will try to fine them

I fine logically, start with a warning, then one week fine, then 2 weeks and 2 weeks after that everytime.

Last edited: