Status
Not open for further replies.

havanaclue

Reaction score
Strange title ? Well after countless of times of ranting and raving and deleting anything I could get my hands on, I decided to try a different method. Do a story and then it's really embarassing if I rage quit (that's of course if anybody follows the thread).

Well since it's fantasy football I start off with previous experience as a professional footballer, at my favourite club Middlesbrough. And since it's fantasy I'm using a foto of Bernie Slaven as myself.
It says that Bernie is one of my best friends in the game. Is that because I've chosen his picture for my profile ?

Tony Mowbray resigns
Why did the living legend Tony Mowbray quit ? Was he found with his pants down with Gibsons (the chairman) wife ? Or was he the man reported in The Evening Gazette worrying sheep in a field in Ingleby Barwick ? Or did I just say 'P*** off Tony I want to play FM12 ?

Since I'm a total inept, bad tempered rage quitter, I have very limited skills (if any) in tactic making. I Know that 'Boro' have very few forwards and a wagon load of CM's so I'm going for a 4-5-1.
I'm using The Better Halfs tactics for Chelsea with the 4 different strategies (http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ds-discussion-help-thread-26.html#post1421185)

Here's the squad

First things first:-
I always go for Peter Magnusson in Sandefjord (unfortunately he's played for Djurgården but you'll just have to put up with that). A snip at only 90k GBP.
I need a third keeper since Danny Coyne will soon be getting his pension and walker - so I've loaned in Ben Amos for the season.
Next I've only got 3 players who can play DM (of which Bates and Thomson are injury prone) so I've got Geremi on a free (he's also injury prone but then he's in good company)
And last but not least I loaned in Sanogo for the season since McDonald and Emnes are my only 'quality' strikers.
Plus with a bit of luck if Yaya Sanogo enjoys himself at the Boro then I can get him on a free after December.
Zemmama I sold to Norwich since he is injury prone and usually unsellable after the New Year. I tried to get Lomana LuaLua on a free but he opted for Nice (and as The Stranglers sung, it's so nice in Nice).

Tactics and corner set up. I'm using the attack(control), standard(balanced) and counter for the Championship.
View attachment 227625View attachment 227624View attachment 227626View attachment 227627

Results so far (just friendlies and no chance of any rage quit yet)
View attachment 227630View attachment 227629View attachment 227631

Team Report
I always ask Dave Parnaby since his Ability /Potential is 20/20
View attachment 227633

Last edited:
Good start pal, and amusing as well. Always thought about starting a Boro, some quality youngsters

Well my first defeat is a fact and maybe this will work out (I didn't swear at the computer or stick my middle finger at the screen) You may think that I should go on some anger management treatment ? You can always think it :D
Luckily it was a friendly and if you look at the stats then you can see we were a little unlucky.

Team talks in FM12 are very unpredictable I think but since it was a friendly I just said calmly that it was about fitness levels (inside I wanted to say that they were a bunch of overpaid lazy twats but for some reason that option isn't available).

The result was undoubtedly my fault, I started with the standard/balanced approach (with corresponding shouts) but since my possesion was 62% and I was leading 1-0, I changed to control and Halmstad got back into the game. Don't fiddle with something that already works, is a good saying.

Well the season starts in earnest (poor old earnest - must hurt) with Reading away.

Here we go then, since I'm not sure what to do (what's new I hear you cry !) I started with the standard approach. Team talks as usual was a mystery

First half 58% possesion but not even an attempt on goal. Half-time team talk.

Tony McMahon doesn't like that I'm unhappy with his play and gets stressed so I sub him.
I switch to counter after roughly 60 mins since i'm still 0 attempts on goal.
My only shot on goal was the last kick of the game and McDonald should have scored.

Oh and as a little note to those who are thinking, 'Christ is this arsehole going to comment on every match like this ?' No I'm not, (and the crowd stood up !) I'll do updates every 5 games or so, unless otherwise requested. Mind you the request of never updating will be registered but not processed.

On a note of registered, Sanogo is unavailabe for the first few games but there is no record of him playing for another club besides Auxerre in the last 12 months. I'll just have to wait because I know he will be elligable soon.

Last edited:
Ok, I know I said I wouldn't be commenting on every match but since I lost again, this could be a very short managerial career at the Boro. The crowd will soon be chanting after the banished Tony Mowbray.

Bristol City away.
I made some changes since a few of the players had slumped to morale Okay.
The line up against West Ham
View attachment 227696
and the line up against Bristol City
View attachment 227695
Now I started off with counter, got a goal chalked off for offside (dubiuosly according to the press), went down 0-1, changed to standard/balanced and McDonald equalised with a cracker. Then chances both ends until two late goals from corners. Not sure whether to train defending set pieces or attacking movement for my next game against Peterboro.
Match stats.
View attachment 227698
and then the journalist report.
View attachment 227697
On the whole, this story is doing the job for me, I haven't deleted anything yet, but it's not exactly a 'jee wizz baby, fan my flies' exicitng story of goals galore and success. Still early days and as Bruce Rioch said 'I niver luk at the tayble until Hogmanay', thank god for that because we are 22nd and I might not last until Christmas.

I don't give a **** what I said earlier, this arsehole will comment on every match because I'm enjoying this, let's just say it's my anger management therapy.
Peterborough (Home)
Dominated the game on standard approach and this time resisted going to attack as I did against Halmstad.
Ok 1-0 isn't anything to write home about (or even to write on this page, I hear some of you less patient readers out there - can I say readers, I've only had one reply to this thread ?) but at this stage of my clueless career any win will do.

Only bad news is that Kevin 'I'm on the sick more times than on the pitch' - shortened to Kevin 'Sick Leave' Thomson is out for three months with a torn hamstring. What is a hamstring anyway ? If you translated this into swedish, ham is a slang name for your buttocks and if his string went there, well that must have hurt, musn't it !

Next game Crystal Palace (home) League Cup

Last edited:
Jimmy Greaves said 'it's funny ole game'
Well I'm ******* myself laughing right now Jimmy boy. Dominate the play, Crystal Palace don't test my keeper for 90 minutes. They do however knobble Rhys Williams so I go down to 10 men when extra time starts, I go to a cautious approach (instead of standard) and McManus decides to put the ball in the wrong net and they hit me on the break. Lose 2-0.
Right Jimmy, just ****** hilarious

Yaya is still unavailable and I'm on the look out for a better finisher on the wing. Barry Robson is good but he needs to catch the bus to get up and down the field.

I'm not sure whether my approach to building the squad is right, in Fm08 I just relied on a good *** manager (an assistant manager for all those gigglers out there who think I have a man managing my ****) for telling me who was good. Now in later versions the Tactic Creator tells you what abilities a player needs for his position. The accountants son appears at this point and I do an excel document listing the players/positions/abilities for each position in my tactic and I get a % amount for each player i.e Kevin 'Sick Leave' Thomson has 64% as a MC Deep Playmaker Support.

Feels like I have more control over my squad but then again the last time I was a world beater was i FM08.

I f these results carry on I'll be on the rock'n'roll (the dole/unemployed) before too long.

In match update :- At last Yaya Sanogo is available, playing standard approach, Coventry (away), as you can see from the picture the possesion is good but they are doing all the attacking. So I'll do one of my 'clueless' decisions and change to counter.:p

Okay, half time and it's not looking that much better. Now do I keep with counter ? Change to cautious or go for attack ?

I perservered (is that spelt right ?) with counter and when the clock was on 90+1 up pops Yaya and slots home 1-0. Get in there !

Last edited:
Desperate times means desperate measures. Since I'm in the Championship on a medium database, I get players outside of europe on my search filters. I usuually don't go for these players without scouting or seeing them on trial. Scouting is out of the question since my scouting range is only this continent and I've tried getting this guy on trial but to no avail. So here we go.
Elias Hernández (AMR)

One minor point, now I have 3 players who want the number 7 shirt, Scott McDonald, Faris Haroun and Hernández. Could be a little case of hand bags soon ?

Last edited:
Ahmed Soukouna. He's even better than Sanogo, believe me.

Yepp but he was snapped up by Peterborough on a free at the start of the season and I can only go for cheap transfers or free loan deals. Thanks for the tip :)

Well my first rant was during the Burnley match, yet again the phenomena of all the possesion (60%) and no chances, whilst still thinking about changing from standard to counter, Burnley score.......er what to do know..........attack and Burnley win 2-0. Bollocks, **** and *****, or too those under age poo ***.

I wonder what the neighbours think ? They hear, more than occasionally, P*** off, F*** off and 'what's the point of playing this **** game!' No wonder they never say hello in the stairway !:D

Last edited:
10 games into the season and after a 0-0 draw at home against Leeds we are in a reasonable position in the league. Not setting the fans alight with the football but my blood pressure is low, the delete button is having a nice little holiday on the Costa del Sol and it's the postion at the end of the season that matters (that of course is presuming that my temper, which has actually worsened since first playing football manager back in 2007, doesn't get the better of me)

Bad news after the international break, Scott McDonald is out for 3 months with a torn calf muscle. Do I need to bring in a loanee ? Can I afford to ? Decisions, decisions............

Last edited:
Blackpool come to the Riverside, unbeaten in 10, sitting top of the table. I decide to go counter attack from the off. Team line ups

After doing well and both sides creating chances, Matt Phillips gives the Seasiders the lead in the 22nd minute. Immediately I change to standard approach. :D

With 15 mins to go I revert to cautiuos counter and see the game out !

Last edited:
True to life, after a great win against Blackpool, straight down to earth with a bang against Watford. And the news gets better, Middlesbrough as a town has a somewhat poor reputation of being the in place to be in the north east, if you want to be in the north east at all. Gaizka Mendieta still is here but he must have drunk a few too many Sammy smiths pints of bitter, cos' nobody else wants too stay.
Anyway back to topic, Hernández, my little Mexican, who has been playing pretty good lately is homesick. Boro is not known for it's warming winds from the desert plains or it's overflow of Mexican restaurants, so Elias is pining for the chicititas in Mexico.

Last edited:
A comfortable win against Derby, used standard approach again, only problem was Sanogo got injured and is out for 2 weeks, time to get in an emergency loan.

According to the press the jury is still out when it comes to my managerial talents, I've made my mind up ages ago and my talent rhymes with 'map' :D

Last edited:
Oh God, how many times will I write this. Birmingham away, they go 1-0 up and I have 60% possession (no shots on goal), they get a fella sent off in the 35th minute, I continue to dominate possession and lose. Rage quit would have arrived at this point - why you ask - because if your totally inept as I am, then you don't have a clue how to fix a situation in a game and then think - why am I playing this game ?

View attachment 227835

Loaned in Jose Baxter for 3 months
View attachment 227836

This is getting painful now. It must be hard to create a game that is challenging for the experts but rewarding for the inept, sometimes I think FM12 goes too far with the former and at this point in time in my save I'm losing the will to live(or play if we get right down to it). Anyway mixed bag of results and moral fading fast, the lads seem to get a result just too keep me in a job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.