Status
Not open for further replies.
SEPTEMBER 2012
The month starts with West Ham at home, the sides morale is shot to pieces and the initial goal of 10 pts could take some time.

Well September is over and done with, the match engine cannot go quick enough for my liking. The game would have been deleted at least three times tonight. When I'm in this situation and nothing works, and I don't know how to fix it, I start to wonder why I play this game, for me it has become too difficult. And for those who think I'm just a moaner, try these results and this league position and see if you think the game is enjoyable.

Villa at home, the Villans went 1-0 up and then down to 10-men and still we didn't look like getting anything out of the game. I'm not severe at the end of match teamtalks but the morale is, unsurprisingly, poor to very poor. The only game where I was close to winning was the last one against Sunderland.

Last edited:
OCTOBER 2012
Well the wins aren’t coming but an encouraging performance at home against Fulham, gives me a little hope.
Next match is away to fellow strugglers Bolton and Rade Prica has come crawling back and wants to play for me again. And how he and the team plays ! (counter attack) and the first win in the bag.:D
The last league game in October is Arsenal at the Emirates. I’m not expecting anything out of the game, but it would be nice if the loss was not by more than 2-3 goals.
Well, what a surprise a defeat, only 2-0 but that was only because my keeper had a blinder. Just look at those stats………
View attachment 228708
TRANSFER UPDATE
Strengthening the squad (I hope)
View attachment 228707View attachment 228706
The month finishes with a disappointing defeat in the League Cup at Leicester (1-0).

NOVEMBER 2012
Liverpool at home, no easy games at all. We go 2-0 down and I’m thinking, shall I delete and start over, hide behind the excuse of having the updated squad at Boro, if I re-started. But thank goodness I didn’t
Still in the bottom three but this is my form over the last 5 games.

Man City are the next visitors to the Riverside and Mr Mancini doesn’t seem to have a very high opinion of me.
Still he seems to have a very high opinion of himself, but the Italian wind bag could only get 0-0 against Gary ‘The Incompetent (or is it the incontinent)’ Wardell - that’s me by the way.
Wigan away brings our next 3 pts. Yipee ! and now the Boro have reached 10 pts (after 12 games). Next partial goal is 20 pts.
I decided to sign yet another player, my 12th signing of the season, Gai Assulin on a free. I’ve given him a nickname - Gasolin.
View attachment 228901
November finishes with Blackpool away.
6 pts out of a possible 12, 1 win and 3 draws. A good month if you are relegation candidates. Boro are now in 15th with 11 pts after 13 games. I would of course prefer to average a little over 1 point per game, to get to 40 points and safety but the improvement of the side has been encouraging.
And an award for one of my players
View attachment 228904

Last edited:
DECEMBER 2012
The festive month starts with my first home win in the Premeir division against fellow strugglers QPR, 1-0 (Sanogo 85 mins)
Well I’m not managing the ‘Unbeatables’ and the unbeaten streak of 5 games comes to an abrupt end away to Wolves. Chelsea away was too much for my side and the quickest speed on highlights wasn’t quick enough. 3-1 to the ‘Russian Rich boys’.

North East derby match against the geordies at home at the Riverside. It’s a tight affair, Newcastle have more shots (but none on target), the Boro have a few good chances but the game seems to be petering out into a goalless draw. Until that is Demba Ba decides to pass back to nobody in particular, from just outside his own penalty area. The pass is perfect for the Boro favourite Yaya Sanogo who slots home in the 94th minute, the speakers blast out the dance music of ‘Pigbag’ and the crowd have a collective ****** !
Click - After pogi's goal - YouTube
On Boxing Day, Blackburn fans drive back to tuther side of the country with no late Christmas present from Santa, the Boro win 2-1 and have reached 20 pts for the season. I never thought I’d reach this mark when we had only scraped up 2 pts from August and September.
The next goal I set for the team is 30 points.
Everton away and the match had every mood swing you can think of, from pure ecstasy to foul mouthed expletives describing to push things somewhere where the sun doesn’t shine.
New Years Eve and a trip to the capital city and White Hart Lane, mind you the first fixtures in 2013 aren't light reading either, Liverpool (home) FA Cup and Man Utd (home) in the league. A good gutsy performance against a superior Spurs side, ends in defeat, 2-1. Peter Pekarik (DR) is turning into a nightmare purchase, he reacts badly to anything we say in the team talks and I’ll be getting shot of him in the close season.

Last edited:
JANUARY 2013
The finances at the Boro are of course much healthier now than in the beginning of the season, we finally have a plus in the bank account. The transfer window opens and after another failed private talk with Mr Pekarik, he’s on the transfer list and on his bike fairly shortly.
It’s very tempting to buy some players now, especially with the likes of Carlos Vela up for grabs but I’m trying not to get carried away. Let’s see what happens eh? I am a notorious buyer, it’s what I enjoy most about the game.
FA Cup, 0-0 against Liverpool, not bad at all.
More of my many fans gives their views of my sides chances of staying up
Yet again, it seems that if you shoot your mouth of before a match, it always comes back to haunt you. Boro 0-0 Man Utd. What did you say Sir Alex ?
TRANSFER UPDATE
OUT- Pekarik leaves after just 6 months to Lecce for £1m (a profit of £150k).
IN (yes in with even more players - it is at this point the experts on FM Base shake there heads in disbelief and chalk down havanaclue as not having a clue).
Kyle Naughton (DR) for £3.2m from Birmingham - I can explain this as a replacement for Peter ‘Petulant’ Pekarik.
View attachment 229016
Igor Falqué (AMC/L ST) from Juventus for £2.6m
View attachment 229015
Both newcomers are in the first eleven for our next trip down to the capital. I was going to say Upton Park but now the Hammers’ ground is called The Boleyn Ground.
FA Cup replay and we bravely get beat at Anfield 3-2, not too bothered mind since the winners get Man Utd in the next round.
I don’t know what I’ve said or done but there seems to be a boatload of mangers in the game who hate my guts. Steve Bruce (who in real life, I like to listen to) is yet another manager who has a ‘high’ opinion of me.
January finishes with a lovely 2-0 win at home against Stoke, Falqué scores both goals on his home debut. The Boro are sitting 11 points clear of the relegation zone and only 2 points off our next points goal of 30.

Good story , realistic point-of-views (I've also lost the will to live several times during a save, before "rage quitting" ;-), and great read! Excellent thread!
I could do with some help, though (who couldn't?): How should I train/match Sanogo when he arrives, to get the most out of his talent?
Started a Birmingham save, and Sonogo just arrived (45 days late, for some unexplained, mysterious reason...). When you start at Birmingham, Zigic and Marlon King (why did they bring in him, before I could interfere...?) are long-term injured, so I had to bring in Marlon Harewood, 32 yrs, and Brett Ormerod, 34 yrs, on loan as emergency solutions. My U18 strikers rhyme with "rap", so I'm stuck with two geriatric strickers and Adam Rooney. The board expects me to bring the club up in the Prem, but the task seems increasingly difficult without scoring goals...
So if someone could tell me how to make Sanogo a hat trick man immediately, it would save my day (and possible my job).
Thanks in advance. (and good luck in the Premier League)

Good story , realistic point-of-views (I've also lost the will to live several times during a save, before "rage quitting" ;-), and great read! Excellent thread!
I could do with some help, though (who couldn't?): How should I train/match Sanogo when he arrives, to get the most out of his talent?
Started a Birmingham save, and Sonogo just arrived (45 days late, for some unexplained, mysterious reason...). When you start at Birmingham, Zigic and Marlon King (why did they bring in him, before I could interfere...?) are long-term injured, so I had to bring in Marlon Harewood, 32 yrs, and Brett Ormerod, 34 yrs, on loan as emergency solutions. My U18 strikers rhyme with "rap", so I'm stuck with two geriatric strickers and Adam Rooney. The board expects me to bring the club up in the Prem, but the task seems increasingly difficult without scoring goals...
So if someone could tell me how to make Sanogo a hat trick man immediately, it would save my day (and possible my job).
Thanks in advance. (and good luck in the Premier League)
I use The Better Halfs training programs and since his Chelsea tactics (the ones I'm using) require a complete forward, I have him on the complete forward training, he is however a poacher. He improves very well and is my top scorer in the prem with 9 goals so far.

FEBRUARY 2013
Alexander Dragovic wins the Premierships Young Player of the January.
I’m starting to get fed up with the amount of managers, whom I respect in real life, who say I’m out of my depth. Now it’s Roy Hodgsons’ turn to call me ****.
And yet again another manager gets to eat his own words as the Boro win 1-0 (Sanogo) against Hodgsons’ Sunderland. Now we have 31 points from 24 games and I set the lads a new points tally of 35.
Neil Warnock says the Boro aren’t good enough now. Well that’s funny since his side has only got 20 pts. and are 17th, but hey, what do I know?
A disappointing defeat at Villa Park (2-1), is followed by a gutsy 2-2 at Craven Cottage. Next game is at The Riverside against Bolton. We win 1-0 and the goal of 35 pts. is achieved.
You may be wondering what I’m talking about when I say goals and points. I have an imaginary talk with the lads (and yes, I am far too involved in the game and no I don’t have much of a social life. I mean, who wants to talk to somebody who has imaginary conversations with a computer ?) Where was I ? Oh yes……….. imaginary talk with the lads, setting partial goals for the season, I mean you don’t just go to Mount Everest and point up and say lets’ go chaps ! You go gradually up via base camps and I do the same in the Premier, that way it doesn’t feel like an insurmountable task.
Another feel good factor is that Boro have climbed above both Sunderland and Newcastle after that last result. Next goal is the top of Everest for a newly promoted side - 40 points.

You're doing really well. I'm impressed at that, and that you have as yet not punched your monitor. ;)

You're doing really well. I'm impressed at that, and that you have as yet not punched your monitor. ;)
I find punching monitors hurts both my wallet and my fist, I have however thrown the game CD from the living room into the kitchen, with a throw that a frisbee pro would have been pround of. Now I limit myself to language my son should never learn (hopefully) and his grandmother would be embarrassed to hear.

MARCH 2013
The month of March starts with a round trip to Merseyside and the sacred turf of Anfield. Yet again without a chance but the scoreline is presentable, only 1-0.
The rest of the games this month aren’t exactly hopeful either, Arsenal (home) and Man City (away).
Well,well, just look at this.
An inevitable loss against the stinking filthy rich Man City and the Boro finish March on 38 points
League table
View attachment 229158

Please don't throw your CD into the blender or something like that. It's still a great read, and I'd like to know what happens next, as my Birmingham save could be very similar to your 'Boro save.
Update: Even thoug Birmingham is a "rich" club Championship-vise, I decided to use almost all of my money on Ahmed Musa, who turns out to be a great signing. He' just 18 (could be the son of my strikers), and allready has great stats. I use/train him as AMR (inside striker), but he can play in all attacking roles. In his debut, he was 60% match fit (had to use him due to my geriatric squad who needs half a season to recover (except M. Harewood, he's a genuine pro!)), and he scored one goal and assisted another one! Without beeing able to even talk to/understand his teammates. In his second game, he's man of the match, even thoug beeing tired and semi match fit. I've allready fallen in love with him (in a manly, macho way, of course). My staff keeps telling me he's not good enough to replace Chris Burke, who can't create a goal opportunity if his mothers life depends upon it. Well... up your a***s!
I tend to use a lot of time playing this game, mainly thanks to you and this thread. I've decided not to rage-quit, but keep an eye on (and adjusting) all details, until I've beaten the world or been sacked. As a result, the match preparations and the matches takes up more of my time than a real-life match. But it's so rewarding! (when succesfull, not so mutch when everything's c**p). Makes me feel like a football manager ;-)

Wow! Just humiliated West Ham 4-0 away, with a hat trick from Musa! I've never been good at wonderkid findings etc., but he must be one of the best in FM12!
If you have the money (when in Premier League), you have to get him! Don't know how he's doing next year (your year), but it took all of Birmingham's money and a lot of flatterin' in the media to get him, and if I don't get promoted to PL, he's gone.... But he's worth it!

APRIL 2013
April Fools Day and Wigan come visiting, both sides huff and puff, and if it was real life, the supporters would question if the players earned their wages today.
Result 0-0.
Our next opponent is QPR and their manager Neil Warnock says-
You don’t say Neil, I’d never had guessed that after all the ‘nice‘ words you’ve said about me. Unfortunately Middlesbrough seem to be finishing the season as they started, with very poor performances. We leave Loftus Road with no points, 0-2 and a smug little ‘merchant banker’ called Warnock smiling from ear to ear.
This is a testing time and if we weren’t sitting quite comfortably in mid-table then I would be worried. Blackpool come to The Riverside and win 1-0.
At last a good result and performance. And we have got 42 points and Premiership survival is guaranteed.
The month finishes with a disappointing defeat in the Tyne-Tees derby at St James Park, 2-1.

Wow! Just humiliated West Ham 4-0 away, with a hat trick from Musa! I've never been good at wonderkid findings etc., but he must be one of the best in FM12!
If you have the money (when in Premier League), you have to get him! Don't know how he's doing next year (your year), but it took all of Birmingham's money and a lot of flatterin' in the media to get him, and if I don't get promoted to PL, he's gone.... But he's worth it!
You must have a large database (I don't - medium I think), Musa isn't in my save. :(

MAY 2013
The reserves side win their Reserve Group which is no mean feat and the U18 do it as well.
View attachment 229261View attachment 229260
Chelsea at home and a never say die performance….
View attachment 229259
……followed by a dire performance away to Blackburn (1-0 defeat). Last game of the season is at The Riverside against Everton, then it’s time to look at the squad again. On a slightly comic note Sidi Kieta is homesick, I give him a months leave, he’s back for two seconds and he’s homesick again. Sod off home then you useless twit !

Status
Not open for further replies.