Back from the Brink – Thierry Zvunka’s Renaissance

djh1878

Mark McCusker's #1 Fan
Reaction score
71lmop.jpg

The Exclusive Interview – Thierry Zvunka, back from the brink

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.
FourFourTwo Manager Profile - Thierry Zvunka

Thursday the 16th of October was an ordinary day for most people – work went on as normal, the weather was changeable, nothing seemed amiss. Then, tragedy struck, or so it seemed: the French football team returned from a trip abroad, with a victory in the bag; after the plane touched down, manager Thierry Zvunka began the long drive home through the Parisienne evening; just a matter of minutes later, he was involved in a collision with a heavy goods lorry, and reports suggested that the rising star of football management may have lost his life before reaching the summit of his potential.

Fast-forward two months, and the situation seemed as bleak as ever. Zvunka remained in a coma, unresponsive and dead to the world changing around him. Then, the news that the whole country had prayed for came through the newswires – their commander in chief had come round, and looked to be remarkably well given what had occurred on that horrible night. Suffering severe head trauma and spinal injuries, the prognosis initially suggested that Thierry Zvunka may not walk again, and his memories would probably have dissipated. In the end, the doctors were delighted to be proven wrong, and his recovery began to gather pace.

Now, a full eighteen months after the accident that nearly took his life, Zvunka is ready to come out of the shadows. Naturally, he wanted to stay out of publicity’s prying gaze during his rehabilitation and recovery, and the French media to their credit have afforded the national team manager the required space to adjust to life. Initially, even with his remarkable rate of recovery it was doubted whether he would return to the beautiful game – indeed, Zvunka himself questioned whether a return would be in his best interests. Having been unceremoniously dumped by club side Werder Bremen, in a manner that lacked class and professionalism, he was thought to be growing distant from the sport. However, the support of the FFF has brought him back to the fold, ready to restart his managerial career.
“I can’t thank the FFF (French Football Federation) enough for their help and support over the past 18 months, on behalf of both myself and my family. They have truly done everything possible to help us through this recent rough patch, and can’t be praised enough for the way that they have conducted themselves. Also, I need to thank my assistant John Morling, who has finished the job I started in guiding ‘Les Bleus’ to qualification in my absence. Now, I am ready to lead the country into Euro 2016, and will hopefully be able to repay the association and the fans for their unflinching support by bringing home the trophy.”
When questioned, Thierry seemed reluctant to talk about his previous job in club management, at German giants Werder Bremen. Not that this should surprise us – after all, the club dumped him on the scrapheap within a month of the accident, appointed a successor and have failed to make contact with the Zvunka family ever since. It is a set of circumstances that clearly still hurts the Scots-Frenchman, and he isn’t able to disguise his contempt for the Werderaner hierarchy.
“Look, I would rather focus on the future from now on, so let me put an end to the Werder questions here and now. I have nothing but respect for the players and fans, as it is a great club that deserves to be at European football’s top table. However, I was dismayed and angered when I learned of how the board of directors had handled my family in the aftermath of my crash. In total contrast to the FFF, they simply cut all ties, and absolved themselves of any responsibility towards me as a member of staff. I was dead to them, dismissed, and it still hurts. That will be the last I speak of the matter, given that these men in suits deserve no more of my attention.”
Looking back, Zvunka’s memory has retained his managerial career in the most part. He still vividly remembers winning his first title, with the France under-21 ‘Espoirs’ side, as well as his time at Kilmarnock, Feyenoord and the Belgian national team. However, he now has little recollection of his playing days, and no memory whatsoever of his childhood. It is a touchy and poignant subject, considering that he has been forced to re-learn his roots all over again.
“When I came around, and for the week after, I had no idea who my own mother and father were. It’s a horrible feeling, being told that your parents are standing before you, and having no recognition of them. I’ve had to rebuild my life from the bottom up, and in many ways it has helped me come to terms with what has happened – I was just beginning to get my priorities right, and my life balanced, when I almost lost it all. The accident has served me a reminder that each day must be lived to the full, and not to take anything for granted. I firmly believe that I have emerged from this whole experience a better person.”
Dwelling on that thought, how does Zvunka see his future playing out now? He has decided to return to football management, but in what capacity – as simply a national coach, or possibly as a returning club manager, at the lower levels or the very top? Many teams will be interested to see how his return to the scene plays out, and whether he is still capable of achieving greatness…
“To be honest, I’m taking it one day at a time. I’m not ready to jump in to another club job yet, and won’t know fully if I ever will until the Euros have come and gone. Even now, I’m still recovering my energy levels and concentration, so these championships will serve as the best test possible of my current capabilities. If I am to jump back into club football, I suspect it will be with a different approach: Previously, I think that I had begun to let my ambition hinder my improvements of the club as a whole – given what happened in Bremen, it goes to show that everything must be considered before I return to such a cut-throat world.”
Thankfully, it is clear to see that Thierry Zvunka is the same man that we knew and loved before his accident, and has had a rather lucky escape. Some say that these events can help to change someone’s life for the better, and the Scots-Frenchman is using this as inspiration to do just that – while our hopes remain high for a successful return to club management in the near future, it seems that he is taking everything one step at a time. For the moment, he has his focus firmly on Scotland and Wales, with the Euro 2016 trophy in his sights.

Last edited:
Great to see it back!

Nice to see him back :) If he can't bring home the Euros for France - no one can!

71lmop.jpg

Euro 2016 Preview
Saturday 28th May 2016

With the qualifiers over, the groups drawn and the squads about to be picked, we can now begin to look forward to this summer’s European Championships held in Scotland and Wales. The tournament looks to be wide open, with hosts and reigning World Cup champions Scotland looking to challenge the likes of England, France, Spain and Italy for the trophy. As far as the outsiders go, keep an eye on both the Czech Republic and Croatia – both are very useful sides with canny and experienced men in charge, and can be a match for anyone on their day.

The groups are as follows:

2hforqa.jpg
333cqyq.jpg

waned2.jpg
10fstmp.jpg

This tournament is as wide open as any of recent times, given that almost any side could theoretically take the crown of Europe’s best country. With conditions expected to be wet at times, with moderate sunshine, stamina should not pose too much of a problem for the squads. However, with home support Scotland find themselves as tournament favourites, with France and England coming in just behind in the betting.

We will be able to judge the chances of each contender a little better when the final squads are announced tomorrow, with the eyes of the continent eagerly on the news. There are few injury problems to contend with for most, so there are some tough decisions left to take for the men in charge this evening!

Just like to say your video was a great touch to your op dont think no one has done that this could be a great story

28hlz5v.jpg

French squad announced; a nation expects
Sunday 29th May 2016

This afternoon, Thierry Zvunka marked his return to the international hotseat by naming his 23-man squad for this summer’s European Championships. Some news came as little surprise, with veteran Franck Ribéry among those omitted due to injury, but no fewer than five uncapped players have made the cut: Arsenal goalkeeper Abdoulaye Keita, young Napoli centre back Enzo Bocquet, Chelsea attacking midfielders Yohan Mollo and Mehdi Abeid and Inter Milan poacher Djamel Bakar will have the chance to pull on the famous blue jersey for the first time next month. With his long layoff from a major car accident 18 months ago, the manager has spent all of his free time watching videos and collating data on possible call-ups. Despite putting so much work into his final 23-man party, he remains ponderous over one omission in particular.

“The hardest phone call I have made this weekend, by quite a margin, was to Real Madrid midfielder Blaise Matuidi. It’s not often that an international head coach can leave out a player from such a massive club, but unfortunately we have five world-class holding midfielders, and one had to miss out. I am sorry that it had to be Blaise in the end, but his time will come again – he is still young enough at 29 to work towards the World Cup in 2018.”
Opinion seems to favour Zvunka’s selection overall, with many fans declaring their complete satisfaction and belief in the men chosen to challenge for the title in Scotland and Wales. The full squad is as follows:

Now, with the talking and speculation over, the whole nation seems to be counting down the days until kick-off. There is a genuine feeling of self-confidence and assurance sweeping the land, but whether the players can match this expectation remains to be seen. An absolute minimum requirement for Zvunka’s squad is progress to the latter stages – failure could result in a sad ending to a harrowing period in charge of ‘Les Bleus’ for the popular Scots-Frenchman in the land of his birth.

Just like to say your video was a great touch to your op dont think no one has done that this could be a great story

Thanks mate! In all fairness, Dan did the very same thing when his Eastern European adventure came back a few days back, so it would be unfair for me to take the credit for the idea. I had wanted to use video in some way, but seeing that story gave me the spark I needed. :)

Great story here - Just skimmed through the first part, brilliant achievements, glad to see you're bringing it back!

xlyo14.jpg

Low-key introduction for well fancied ‘Les Bleus’; 3 points secured
Bosnia & Herzegovina 1-2 France, Sunday 5th June 2016

2hwd9nd.jpg
2a9b8yh.jpg

Thierry Zvunka led his charges to an opening win in Euro 2016 this evening, with a slightly abject performance to kick off the French challenge. In truth, both sides anticipated each other’s tactics having met in the qualifiers, and the match was largely uninspiring as a result. However, the most important thing for any nation in these tournaments is to start positively, and this win could prove vital after the next two matches play out.

As expected, France lined up in Zvunka’s preferred 4-2-3-1 system, with two ball-winning midfielders doing the hard work while allowing both wing-backs and the forward four more freedom to try and create opportunities. What did come as a surprise, however, was the starting lineup: in the first eleven, there were two debutants, stopper Enzo Bocquet and winger Yohan Mollo. Neither player had too much influence on the match itself, but by the same token both seemed to cope well with the step up in level.

The early stages were scrappy, as the whole 90 minutes would largely be, with a couple of promising signs for ‘Les Bleus’. Mathieu Flamini was selected for his experience, and he began to run the show in the engine room, flashing two attempts just wide of the target from around 20 yards. He would go on to be Zvunka’s nominated man of the match, constantly applying pressure to the opposing midfield and keeping possession effectively.

The first goal arrived with the game’s first clear-cut chance, after 17 minutes – a Bosnian corner was poorly taken, and easily headed clear at the front post by captain Mamadou Sakho; Karim Benzema collected the clearance, promptly turned his man and drove towards the byline; looking up, he drilled the ball to the back post, where it was met by Real Madrid team-mate Karim Aït-Fana for the easiest of tap-ins. France were ahead, and it looked for all the world that Zvunka’s men would take control.

2czksy.jpg

Karim Aït-Fana got ‘Les Bleus’ off the mark in the Millennium Stadium

The remainder of the first half only produced three chances of note. Firstly, on the 20 minute mark Edin Dzeko went close from 20 yards, dragging the ball wide after Sakho had failed to close down the Chelsea target man. It was a warning shot, which seemed to kick France into action. Flamini again went close from range, before the best chance of the match arrived on the brink of half-time: once again winning the ball on halfway, Flamini exchanged passes with playmaker Yoann Gourcuff before looking up; spotting a run from Karim Aït-Fana, cutting in from the right flank, the veteran midfielder slotted through a precise through ball; one on one with the keeper, Aït-Fana failed to double his tally, firing straight into the midriff of Bosnian number one Asmir Begovic.

The second period was as uneventful as the first, with the game dragging on until a spark finally ignited some excitement with 20 minutes left – and it was the result of a Thierry Zvunka masterstroke, with a triple substitution paying immediate dividends. Collecting a stray pass in his own half, Moussa Sissoko played an aimless ball down the left wing; having just come on for his debut, pacy frontman Djamel Bakar chased it down, beat his man and drove to the byline; with two men in the area, he drove the ball across the 6 yard box; a delightful flick from fellow sub Benoît Trémoulinas left that man Flamini with the simple task of firing home from point blank range. With ‘Les Bleus’ two goals to the good, the game was as good as over…

2e58gzp.jpg

Mathieu Flamini’s experience and boundless energy was invaluable to the team

Or was it? Not if Dzeko had anything to do with it! On the 83 minute mark, a confident France put together a delightful passing move, free-flowing their way up the pitch and Flamini once again testing Begovic in the Bosnian goal. Thinking quickly, the keeper punted the ball away quickly, and Dzeko gave chase. In a rare moment of madness, French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris had come out to meet the ball 20 yards from his own net, and paid the price as Dzeko calmly beat him to the ball and flicked home with his head. Bosnia & Herzegovina had hope, and it had been a completely avoidable situation.

Sensing a little nervousness among his players, Zvunka immediately shut up shop, limiting his team’s attacking freedom and pulling back into a counter attacking system. In the end, this stifled the remaining minutes, and the victory was finally in the bag, having looked to be already assured. It may well prove to be a valuable lesson for the players to learn, as better teams will punish such slackness and indecision later in the tournament.

In the aftermath, we have to take the result as it is – a nervy opening against tricky opponents, and an important win. Furthermore, key players like Jérémy Ménez and Bakary Sagna were rested, so will be fully prepared for the next game against reigning champions Croatia. This Croatian side is nowhere near as strong as the class of 2012, but we should not take anything for granted come Friday…something that Zvunka will no doubt be stressing to his players after such a stuttering start.

Elsewhere in the tournament, things are beginning to shape up with the first round of fixtures now completed. All of the results so far can be found below, including a shock defeat for England against a hard-working Turkish side and good starts for both host nations.

xlyo14.jpg

Impressive France rise to demolish holders Croatia
France 3-0 Croatia, Friday 10th June 2016

2a9b8yh.jpg
23h0rhf.png

‘Les Bleus’ made a statement of intent this evening by smashing reigning European champions Croatia by a three-goal margin, and it could have been more. Zvunka’s men completely controlled the match, routinely enjoying over two-thirds of possession and constantly putting pressure on the Croat back line. This evening, in the wake of such an impressive showing, many are tipping this France squad to go all the way and take the trophy.

Tactically, it seemed that Thierry Zvunka had stuck with the same system as employed against Bosnia & Herzegovina in the opening fixture. However, it soon became apparent that there had been a fundamental change in psyche among the two holding midfielders: Yann M’Vila operated in a much more contained ball-winning role, rarely striding forward, whereas Lassana Diarra took every opportunity to drift into space and support the attacking four. It was a relatively small adjustment, but it had a major effect, forcing Croatia to abandon their gameplan within half an hour of kick-off.

It took just three minutes for France to get their noses in front. From a corner, Yoann Gourcuff whipped the ball into the middle, causing a scramble in the box: breaking to Jérémy Ménez on the edge of the area, his first thought was to have a pop, unleashing a thunderous drive; luckily for the mercurial winger, his shot deflected off defender Phillippe Mexès, and went across the goalmouth into the opposite corner of the net…it had initially been going wide of the goalkeeper’s left-hand post. Despite the fortuitous nature of the opener, it was a sign of things to come.

Ten minutes later, Croatian keeper’ Delac was called into action for the first of many occasions. Winning the ball in midfield, M’Vila fed Karim Benzema the ball with his back to goal: in one movement, the frontman controlled and turned his man, before getting the better of two further opponents and having a strike from 20 yards. Delac saved well, turning the ball round the post. Following this, Zvunka’s men really seemed to click into gear, bringing the second goal after just twenty minutes.

Bakary Sagna and Karim Aït-Fana were causing all sorts of problems down the right wing, and they worked together to create the next goal. Working on the overlap, Sagna got to the byline, turned back and layed off to Lassana Diarra. Using his experience, Diarra expertly drew a man towards him, leaving Gourcuff unmarked, and teed the ball up around 25 yards out – Gourcuff struck with venom, sending a line drive straight into the top corner past a helpless Delac in goals. Croatia were in trouble, being undone time and again by their clever opponents.

126d1yu.jpg

Yoann Gourcuff scored a sensational goal from outside the area

After yet another good chance came and went, with Gaël Clichy beating his man on the left before whipping in a dangerous ball which flashed across the box, Croatia gaffer Ivan Juric couldn’t look on any longer. The clock showed that just 25 minutes had passed, and the Croats had already been forced to ditch their 3-5-2 in favour of a more defensive 5-3-2. If anything, it was an indication of just how well ‘Les Bleus’ had started the match.

With a more stable defence, Croatia began to get more possession, and had their first attempts on goal. On the half hour, passing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other, right back Ivan Tomecak eventually took matters into his own hands – spotting target man Badelj in the area, he whipped in a cross from deep, which connected with his target but ended up well over Hugo Lloris’ crossbar. From the goal kick, a much better chance developed, however: the ball broke down to playmaker Franko Rukavini, who chipped a through ball into the path of Badelj; unfortunately for the Eastern Europeans, he could only shoot straight at the onrushing Lloris.

France had been dealt a warning, and heeded it well. Taking control of the game once more, Jérémy Ménez began to have more of an influence: receiving the ball in his own half, he took on and beat his marker with ease with 10 minutes left in the half, gliding to the byline; his floated cross evaded Benzema in the middle, but broke off a defender to the edge of the box, where it was met by Diarra; his curling strike produced a world-class one handed save from the keeper, which was applauded by both sets of fans in the stadium. Long rangers from M’Vila and Rakitic followed as the 45 peetered out, before the impressive Diarra sustained a head injury – Mehdi Abeid cam off the bench for his debut, with Gourcuff dropping back.

vhs413.jpg

Luckily, Lassana Diarra’s injury turned out to be minor after looking serious

The second period started with France re-asserting their dominance, and Croatia unable to keep possession under immense pressure. Clichy repeatedly got the better of full-back Tomecak, causing chaos with quality crosses – Croatia were buckling, and needed a spark, which almost arrived in an uncomfortably familiar manner: a long punt from Delac drew Hugo Lloris out of his goalmouth, but was won in the air by Badelj; luckily for the French keeper, young stopper Enzo Bocquet showed maturity beyond his years to cover the danger, and calmly clear under pressure.

After the hour mark, France put the result beyond doubt with another impressive piece of play. Central midfielders Gourcuff and M’vila exchanged passes, with Gourcuff looking up to see his options: spotting debutant Abeid in the area, he flicked through a delicate through ball; Abeid evaded the attention of two defenders with a sharp turn, before putting the ball on a plate for winger Ménez. The simple task of passing the ball past the goalkeeper into the corner was easily done, and Zvunka began to relax in the dugout.

In the final twenty minutes, ‘Les Bleus’ could and should have added to their winning margin. Firstly, Mehdi Abeid almost marked a spectacular debut with a goal of his own: collecting the ball from a throw in, the playmaker turned and drifted between the two centre backs effortlessly before firing towards the near post – Delac made another great stop, before looking exasperatedly at his defenders for some reassurance. If it hadn’t been for his inspired performance between the sticks, it could well have been a cricket score! Finally, Zvunka’s men gave the watching millions a glimpse of their potential with a superb counter attack: Sagna intercepted a poor pass deep in his own half, played a simple one-two with Gourcuff and found winger Aït-Fana. Drifting inside, after exchanging passes with deep-lying sub frontman Bakar, he layed off to Gourcuff; as a result of Bakar’s movement, the defence had been drawn out, and the gifted playmaker seized his chance…dinking a delightful ball between the right full back and center back with the outside of his foot, he set Ménez clean through – however, his attempted finish was too cute, and swatted away from the target by Delac.

2b8lli.jpg

Chelsea’s Mehdi Abeid looked confident in his international debut

The final move of the game had the fans spellbound, with the superlatives beginning to flow. As we all know, the secret to performing at the big tournaments is starting gradually, and this France side seems to be growing into the competition having now secured qualification for the knockout stages. The only downside was the injury to Diarra, who had made a significant impact on the initial stages, but he will only be out of action for 5 days after suffering concussion. Overall, it’s all positive news, which makes a welcome change for the long suffering ‘Les Bleus’ followers!

As the tournament begins to take shape, with just one game remaining for all the nations, there has already been a shock exit – England will be taking the short journey over the Welsh border with their tails between their legs, having been humbled by the hosts in the Cardiff City stadium. Fans are reportedly already calling for Stuart Pearce’s head, and are likely to have their wish from an irate FA. The groups as they stand can be found below.

I'm amazed how good wales are doing in this! could you tell me the squad, to see who to buy in future!

I'm amazed how good wales are doing in this! could you tell me the squad, to see who to buy in future!

No problemo! To be honest, I'm mystified with what has happened in this game - Chile won the 2010 World Cup, Scotland won the 2014 World Cup and Croatia won Euro 2012...mental! Here's the screenie from the England match:

It'll only happen on FM! hahaha, it was a miracle wales qualified,(but then I saw there hosts!!) good luck on this

This is l-e-g-e-n-d-a-r-y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Brilliant update. Very in depth and good length.. Good luck against Ukraine.

Liking this story, how are Scotland doing there? Very good performance against Croatia, great result. On mine, Switzerland always seem to win the 2010 WC! :S

Liking this story, how are Scotland doing there? Very good performance against Croatia, great result. On mine, Switzerland always seem to win the 2010 WC! :S

Well, Scotland needed just a draw to get through against Germany...all will be revealed in the next update! I'll have it up later tonight, just started writing it.

Cheers for the comments guys!

xlyo14.jpg

Weakened French side win with a whimper
France 1-0 Ukraine, Wednesday 15th June 2016

2a9b8yh.jpg
bhmvm.jpg

A much-weakened ‘Les Bleus’ side tonight maintained our 100% record in Euro 2016, with an unconvincing win over a dogged Ukraine. In truth, the match played out like a training session at times, and Zvunka’s men seemed more concerned with avoiding bookings and injuries than scoring. However, the final 10 minutes brought a goal of some quality, reminding everyone who hadn’t turned over or nodded off what this team is capable of at it’s best.

Once again, France started with a conventional 4-2-3-1, but added in a slight positional tweak or two. Starting with Samir Nasri on the right flank and Yohan Mollo on the left, both players began as inside forwards, while Djamel Bakar up front played as more of an out-and-out goalscorer than Benzema’s all-around approach. Ukraine set up in a 4-1-3-2, with an anchorman deployed between the defensive and midfield lines to combat the freedom of Zvunka’s playmaker in attack.

The first real incident of note came with 12 minutes on the clock, as a result of a French corner. Ukraine defended the set-piece well, and cleared into the opposing half. France were caught on their heels, and Artem Milevskyi seemed set to punish the slack reactions of the covering players…until he was crudely brought down by Yann M’Vila. Luckily for the combative midfielder, he had been covered by young Napoli stopper Enzo Bocquet, which spared him a certain red card. It was a sign of things to come, as further slackness around the French penalty area almost led to a goal after 20 minutes: the ball broke to the left wing, where it was crossed with venom towards Milevskyi, and his header looped just over Hugo Lloris’ crossbar. Something had to change for ‘Les Bleus’ to grab a foothold in the game, and Zvunka took immediate action.

Switching his inside forwards, and instructing them to play as conventional wingers, Zvunka tried to give his side more options when in possession. With Bakar beginning to drop into space off the defensive line, the tactical change paid immediate dividends. The Inter frontman collected a pass from M’Vila in the hole, waited for his support runners to get past him into a threatening position and layed the ball off to Samir Nasri – the gifted Arsenal man executed a clever chipped ball over the top to the onrushing Mollo, whose dreams of netting his first international goal were dashed by keeper Andriy Pyatov. The goalie would be tested again from the resultant corner, with a short ball to El Kaoutari resulting in a powerful effort which was beaten away as far as Abeid…luckily for Pyatov, the young Frenchman could only screw wide on his weaker left foot.

2rhqkk1.jpg

Andriy Pyatov’s heroics in goal netted him the man of the match award

Mehdi Abeid was clearly annoyed by that miss, and drove on to make up for his error. After 35 minutes, he found Nasri down the left wing after a run from deep: cutting back in traffic, Nasri squared the ball to M’vila at the corner of the box; instinctively, the strong ball-winner struck a bending shot towards the far corner – it deflected to the other side of Pyatov’s goalmouth, and his superb reactions resulted in a stunning save to keep the scores level. The keeper’s brilliance was inspiring confidence among his team-mates, and they began to play some attractive football, culminating in their best chance of the half – after some neat interplay, attacking midfielder Sergiyenko dribbled past Gary Bocaly at right back, before striking within a whisker of goal from the edge of the box. Bocaly reacted by going straight up the other end and unleashing a piledriver from fully 30 yards, which crashed off the crossbar and bounced clear. Just as the game had begun to sizzle, half-time arrived.

The first 15 minutes of the second half didn’t continue in the same manner, unfortunately for the neutrals. The only attempt came from a speculative attempt courtesy of young Abeid, but his long ranger sailed into row Z. Finally, there was a spark on the hour mark: France’s great white hope Bosquet again won the ball with ease in his own half, and played a simple pass to Mollo on the right wing; looking up, he clipped the ball down the line for Bakar to chase after; the forward showed off his acceleration to reach the ball first, and drilled it across the goalmouth, where Nasri simply had to apply the finish – unbelieveably, however, the cultured attacker missed from 5 yards out, ******** his header wide.

In the final 10 minutes of play, Sergiyenko once again tested Lloris from range after some poor closing down, but the French number one was back to his calm and reliable best to save well. It seemed for all the world that the contest would end in a stalemate, until a piece of inspiration came from an unexpected source in backup centre-back Abdel El Kaoutari: collecting the ball from Lloris, he came forward with possession, looking for an option; when no simple passes became available to him, he looked forward and played a magnificent through ball to Nasri from fully 50 yards away; splitting the full-back and centre-back, the ball rolled perfectly into the winger’s path, before he coolly slotted home under the unfortunate keeper’s body. Whether it was deserved was debateable, but France had clinched the game, and knocked the stuffing out of their hard-working opponents.

21d0pdg.jpg

Samir Nasri made his first tournament appearance, and scored the only goal

Now, Thierry Zvunka’s focus switches to the Quarter Final stage, with a stern test in waiting – Spain are sure to represent the biggest challenge of the tournament so far for ‘Les Bleus’, and possibly the biggest obstacle of the manager’s career. The Spaniards have been impressive so far, with Sergio Canales being their biggest threat up front. If he can be silenced, our boys will stand a great chance of progression to the Semi Final stage.

In the other knockout games, Germany face co-hosts Wales, fellow co-hosts Scotland will come up against an impressive Turkish side and Croatia will face Italy. The tournament is wide open – who will step up to the mark, and take the trophy home? Any of the remaining 8 nations could go all the way, and France have as good a chance as any. The final group standings can be found below.

344thf4.jpg

be61ea.jpg

Press Conference transcript: Thierry Zvunka Q&A session
Friday 17th June 2016

Q: (L’Équipe) – After such an impressive performance against Croatia, was it a mistake to rest some of our key players against Ukraine, where we lost some momentum?

A: We won the game, didn’t we? How have we lost momentum? Sure, the performance wasn’t as fluid or as effective, but the guys that came in for the last game were put in because they needed the run-out. We didn’t come out here with a team, we’re here with a squad, and every man in it has a part to play. Given the quick turnaround, the fact that some guys are fresh while some are energised by getting a chance can only bode well for the morale and spirit of the lads.

Q: (Le Monde) – How do you rate Spain, and what do you antipate their main threats are?

A: They’re here on merit - in all honesty, I think they have one of the strongest squads left in the competition. It’s got a good mix of youth and experience, flair and steel, and shouldn’t be underestimated. In any other group they would have topped the table, so we’ve been unlucky to draw them in a way: on the other hand, you have to get past what’s put in front of you to win the big titles, and that’s what we’re working towards.

Q: (FourFourTwo) – You have tweaked your tactics for every game so far, so can we expect more changes for this match?

A: Wouldn’t you like to know? (laughs) Yes, I will continue with my policy of setting my guys out in the best possible manner to counteract the opposition, as I have always done at international level. So far it’s worked touch wood, but it obviously depends on the players carrying out exactly what you want them to do. Don’t expect anything too drastic, but we’ll naturally have a couple of plans tucked away if they are needed during the game, depending on how things shape up.

Q: (The Scotsman) – Are you confident that you can anticipate the way Rafa Benítez will set his Spanish eleven out come Sunday?

A: Rafa’s a great manager, and one I respect enormously. I’m not going to second guess him in public, but I think we both know how each other’s mind works, and he’ll have a variety of options just as I do. He’s a guy who isn’t afraid to change things if tactics aren’t working, so I’m relishing the battle ahead. It could well be one for the purists, not just those who enjoy good football but also those who study the intricate nature of the game.

Q: (When Saturday Comes) – In the build-up to such a massive game, what has been the focus in training over the last couple of days?

A: Simple, really - studying our weaknesses over the past 3 games, and trying to solidify them. There hasn’t been any real change in the way we approach every match, in that we always study the opposition in detail and designate specific roles pretty early on. Luckily, we’ve only got one absentee just now in Lassana Diarra, but he’ll be back if we are fortunate enough to progress to the semi-final stage. Basically, the players have a real hunger about them now: they can’t wait to get on that pitch and play.

Q: (www.goal.com) – With England dropping out of the competition, are your France squad now favourites to lift the trophy?

A: (laughs) It was only a matter of time, wasn’t it? Look, I’m not going to put any unnecessary pressure on my lads. They know themselves what they are capable of, and how to get there. In these tournaments, you must concentrate fully on the next match, given that one slip can see you leave the running in a flash. I’ll stick to what I said pre-tournament, which was that every side in the knockout stages has a chance, and it will boil down to confidence, concentration, creativity and steel.

Q: (Daily Record) – If fate is playing out, it seems that the draw could leave your France side facing Scotland in the final. How would you feel if that were to happen?

A: Oh dear…(chuckles)…what a question that is! How long did you take to think that one up? Look, as I’ve just said, my focus is always on the next opponent. If such a scenario plays out, I’ll deal with it then. Being back in Scotland for a sustained spell has been great though, I must emphasize how kind everyone has been to me and our lads during our time here.

Still reading m8 -- quality updates (I'm only up to Croatia game though atm.) Who drew the teams out for Group C? lol :) Group of Death or what?