Back from the Brink – Thierry Zvunka’s Renaissance

^^) Great result djh, and a really good story KIU! (And lol at Ed's comment..)

344thf4.jpg

be61ea.jpg

Press Conference transcript: Thierry Zvunka statement
Monday 27th June 2016

In a break from the normal system, ‘Les Bleus’ manager Thierry Zvunka decided to give the gathered media a brief statement, addressing the events of the last few days and his future plans. After several different rumours circulating the internet and other media outlets, he felt that it was important to give a clear and concise message to all interested parties.

“Ladies and gents, thank you all for coming along. Can I apologise in advance for not taking any questions today, the reason is simply that we have a very tight timescale to operate to today, and giving a statement can address all the questions that have been asked since yesterday’s final.”

“Firstly, can I just say how proud I am to be sitting here as the manager of the European Champions. All 23 men in my squad have been terrific, and the trophy was well deserved for their efforts and the efforts of my backroom team. I’d like to thank the people of Scotland and Wales, who have been fantastic hosts, and most of all the supporters of ‘Les Bleus’ back in France and all over the world. This tournament win is dedicated to every single one of you, thanks for the unparalleled support that you have given us since I took the helm.”

“To address the rumours in question, let me say this – after consulting with my doctor, my family and most importantly myself, I have decided to continue to be manager of the French national team. In the end, I couldn’t leave this post after everything that the FFF has done for me and my family over the past two years. I feel that winning these championships serves as a part of returning the favour, but I couldn’t look myself in the mirror if I didn’t try to bring back the big one in two years time!”

“With regards to club management, I will not be actively seeking employment at a domestic level. However, if I am made an offer, I will consider it fully and carefully, and make a decision on the basis of the challenge and the time constraints I would be put under. Given that I shall be remaining as France manager, I will only consider approaches from two countries – France and England. The reason for this, quite simply, is that most of our internationals play in these two countries, and travelling between club and country posts would not cause any problems.”

“Again, apologies for not taking any questions this afternoon, but I will address any queries that you may have in the near future…right now, it looks like I won’t have a free minute of my time for the foreseeable future! Thanks again.”

superb victory... poor turkey, did their manager got sacked after this? <)

superb victory... poor turkey, did their manager got sacked after this? <)

Cheers mate! Nah, he walked out on a high. The only sackings were from the Czechs and Italy. Surprised Rafa kept his job!!!

Nice PC Djh. Good change from the usual Q+A.. Still think you should return to club management though!

Nice PC Djh. Good change from the usual Q+A.. Still think you should return to club management though!

Thanks for the feedback! Well, it hasn't been ruled out, in fact if the right offer comes along...

28hlz5v.jpg

Thierry Zvunka set for club management return?
Saturday 3rd June 2017

Almost a year has passed since ‘Les Bleus’ returned home with the Euro 2016 title, under the guidance of returning manager Thierry Zvunka. Having enjoyed a rapid ascent to the top, the young Scots-Frenchman had to build again from scratch over an 18 month period after a near-fatal car crash. Winning the European Championships was a signal to the world that he was back, and perhaps even better than before. Now, it looks as if he is ready to return to the hustle and bustle of daily club management.

In a statement after the tournament, Zvunka explicitly stated that he would only consider approaches from French and English clubs, and he was initially true to his word – over the course of the season, he turned down contract offers from Getafé (Spain) and Hoffenheim (Germany) to name but two. However, in the last week he has received what he dubs “an offer that is simply non-rejectable”: having mulled over the interest with those closest to him, he is set to up sticks to Turin, and succeed the retiring Alberto Zaccheroni at Italian champions Juventus.

4l0zfn.jpg

Zvunka is expected to take the reigns at the Delle Alpi next week

The ‘Old Lady’ of Italian football has just secured it’s second Serie A title in three seasons comfortably, missing out narrowly on a domestic double with cup final loss to Genoa. With world-class facilities and staff, both playing and coaching, everything is set for Zvunka to hit the ground running. The only glaring omission in the club’s vast trophy room remains on the European stage – the Europa League win of 2011 marks the last time that Juventus flexed their muscle on the continental stage, and the fans are keen to bring their club back into the elite.

Speaking exclusively to Le Monde, Thierry Zvunka gave us his thoughts and plans for the future, at both domestic and international levels.
“I’ve had an important 12 months, believe it or not! Despite the fact that we’ve played only a few games, I have been busy travelling around and watching all of our guys, as well as scouting out the future talents. In truth, watching games every week has given me the bug to get back into club management now. More importantly though, I am learning new tactical nuances all the time, which will simply serve to improve my ability to experience more success with ‘Les Bleus’.”

“We’ve started the World Cup qualifying brilliantly, winning all four matches so far, which is obviously pleasing. Having both Turkey and the Ukraine didn’t give us an easy task, but our lads have more than risen to the challenge. Another few games at the same level and we’ll be assured of a return to Scotland…hopefully for another successful visit!”

“Now, with my recovery well and truly behind me, I can’t wait to get my teeth into another job. To be honest, I was disappointed that the news of Juve’s interest leaked out, but it was only a matter of time until the announcement came I suppose. Given the situation, their offer was too good to turn down: over the last year, there has been no prospect of a suitable job becoming available in either France or England, so I have widened my horizons.”

“Fans of the national team should be assured that taking this job will not limit my ability to manage ‘Les Bleus’ in any way. We have the best scouting setup in international football, and I will be watching as many games as I possibly can.”
That last point is precisely what both Zvunka and the FFF want to hammer home to the nation – the manager has balanced two jobs with ease in the past, and enjoyed great success, leading Belgium to third place in World Cup 2014 having just secured the Eredivisie with Feyenoord. Doubts will continue to linger until the results back up this reassurance, so fans of both ‘Les Bleus’ and ‘The Old Lady’ will be hoping that Thierry Zvunka makes good on their respective hopes. Until then, it seems that most pundits are predicting great things for the respected gaffer.

Nice update man, would've preferred a move back to Angleterre, but Juve is a brilliant offer, and i'm sure you'll win Serie A comfortably, what's the squad like? Still all 53? :p

wow. nice :)
hope you find Werder Bremen in the Champions. just to crush them <)

71lmop.jpg

‘Les Bleus’ prepare for Confederations Cup
Wednesday 21st June 2017

A year on from their European Championship success, France are readying themselves for another international tournament – in the USA, the FIFA Confederations Cup is set to kick-off, involving 8 of the world’s best national sides over the past few years. Thierry Zvunka’s men have been drawn in Group B alongside South Korea, Canada and Senegal, and are expected to challenge the hosts for the title. Seen by many as a glorified friendly tournament, the Confed Cup nevertheless presents another opportunity for the FFF to add another trophy into it’s cabinet, and the squad are taking their opposition as seriously as ever.

Tomorrow evening, ‘Les Bleus’ kick-off against the Asian champions South Korea in Philadelphia. If rumours are to be believed, Zvunka will be changing his tactics from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-4-2 diamond setup, having experienced limited success in the World Cup qualifiers so far. It remains to be seen what effect that this has on his team’s fortunes, but the tournament should provide the manager with an ideal testing ground for any necessary adjustments.

The groups have been drawn as follows:

Why are Scotland in it :S. Nice (if brief) update mate, looking forward to the next one.

xlyo14.jpg

Confederations Cup set to kick off; new France kits unveiled
Thursday 22nd June 2017

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYcWu7uDI5c"]YouTube- Confederations Cup promo.wmv[/ame]
Confederations Cup Promo

As Thierry Zvunka readies his squad to begin their Confederations Cup campaign this evening, the French Football Federation have finally unveiled the national team’s new kits. A classic adidas design, the famous three stripes reflect the famous tricolour, with a golden trim. The badge is a retro return to the seventies and eighties, with stars situated above the crest: firstly, three silver stars signify the 3 European Championship titles won by ‘Les Bleus’, while the gold star above marks our solitary World Cup victory in 1998.

The strips will be worn from now until the World Cup next summer, when the nation will be hoping for two golden stars to adorn the famous blue tops! As for tonight’s match, Zvunka will be choosing from a pool of 23 players, with no indication of team news or tactics as yet.

2rzb2wm.jpg
2lbhls6.jpg
14jykub.jpg

2sbalj4.jpg

Great update as always Djh, although you haven't given us any updates on 'The Old Lady', i thought you joined them a year ago oO). Awesome vid as well, though preferred the others if i'm honest.

Forgot to mention:
Awesome kits, yours?

Last edited:
huh, good luck with the Conf Cup. nice short updates :)
nice kits.

Great update as always Djh, although you haven't given us any updates on 'The Old Lady', i thought you joined them a year ago oO). Awesome vid as well, though preferred the others if i'm honest.

Forgot to mention:
Awesome kits, yours?

Nope, made for me by Essex_Hammer. They are pretty awesome!

As for Juve, Thierry just signed for them last week! Patience...:p

and cheers Nerkon, the long un's are about to make a comeback though with the matches on the horizon...

Nope, made for me by Essex_Hammer. They are pretty awesome!

As for Juve, Thierry just signed for them last week! Patience...:p

and cheers Nerkon, the long un's are about to make a comeback though with the matches on the horizon...

I got excited then, i thought you meant the real Thierry ;)

Instead it's just come Franco-Celtic manager!

hope you have success with Juventus, they always are like the Italian Barcelona/ Real Madrid in my games :p

just now i took charge at Inter in my game, it is like impossible to get to Europa League, they are in 12º in the last games in the league, and Juventus? just some seconds from getting his second Italian League in a row. its just LoL at these things, Inter having a strong squad and getting weaker and weaker in my saves, and Juventus always get a squad like 3x stronger. even in PES oO) but not in Fifa :S Juventus and Genoa are destined to Glory in FM! :)

Last edited: