Back to Winning Ways. The Villas-Boas Story

Reaction score
Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas, although you would know me as Andre Villas-Boas, or possibly AVB. The youngest manager to ever win a European competition, a manager who went unbeaten in the domestic league and won a treble with Porto, a top-level manager with no prior-playing experience, a manager who has the highest ever recorded "transfer-fee" and now... unemployed. All because some past-it, overpaid English players decided I did not show them enough respect, and was only interested in "the long-term plan" which obviously they were not apart of as they were all over 30 years of age and playing their last years, focusing only on their multi-million pound retirement homes in the sun.
My reputation was destroyed following my very public and very early dismissal from Chelsea, it is now time to rebuild it and show Mr Abramovich the mistake he made in firing me. I am under no illusions, I will not be the top-choice for many top jobs due to my performance at Chelsea, which even I must admit was sub-par compared to my normal standards. However I learnt the ropes from Jose "The Special One" Mourinho, who in-turn learnt from the late-great Sir Bobby Robson. I am meant to be revered by the footballing world too, it is time...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Due to AVB's past experience as a manager I've started with a reputation as a professional footballer, just to try and create some realism with the jobs I may be offered. Leagues Loaded: All major EU leagues. I've also used his full (and very long) name as my managerial name on the game, as I don't have an editor to remove the real AVB. Also i'm starting from the start of the 2011-2012 season, so I may have a job before AVB was sacked in real life, but hi-ho, the concept of the story remains the same "life after Chelsea for AVB".

Last edited:
Back to Winning Ways: The Villas-Boas Story

It appears some clubs still wanted what I can do for them. As pundits often say and did say regularly about my off-form £50m striker at Chelsea, "form is temporary, class is permanent." I was chased by Hamburg, the mid-table Bundesliga outfit, Bari from Serie A, and Brescia from Serie B. Malaga, with their big-dreams felt after my recent performance at Chelsea I wasn't best for them, so rejected my application. Hamburg therefore seemed the best choice, a competitive league, a mid-table team, the only way was up. I could see the headlines already: "​Villas-Boas brings Champions League Football to the Imtech!"I was waiting in my hotel room in Hamburg awaiting an official car to take me on a tour of the stadium and facilities, I was excited to assess what would be my club for the next two or three years, when I received a phonecall from an unknown number with an English prefix... "Alright Mr Boas, it's Lord Sugar here," came barking down the phone from a man with a gruff Essex Accent. "Oh you're the one from the Television" I replied, slightly confused. Was I being lined up for Celebrity Apprentice? I remembered watching his show during the cold winter nights in London. "No, no nothing of the sort, I'm an admirer of your work as a manager Mr Boas. You may or may not know that I still have ties with Spurs, and would like to inform you Mr Redknapp's position is under review due to poor performance, you're one of the top candidates if he goes... That is all Mr Boas, good-day." Now I had a very tough decision to make, did I go for a job with a mid-table team with potential away from the glare of the media or wait for the possibility of champions football in England and more importantly in London, just a couple of miles from Chelsea, who I'd play at least once and be able to prove that it was a mistake in relieving me of my duties? At that moment my phone, still in my hand, rang again, a man with a German accent told me my car was waiting outside to take me on the tour, it was the Chairman Carl-Edward Jarchow, I had a tough decision to make maybe seeing the facilities of Hamburg would decide that...

Last edited:
Despite the top-training facilities at Hamburg, the possibility of waiting for a top managerial position at Tottenham and the chance to face my old team was just too much. I delayed the offer from Hamburg stating I needed a week or two to think over their offer and a move to Germany, Jarchow understood my apprehension, but he did not know the true reason for it, and thank god he didn't I doubt I'd have a job offer if he did.
It was a good job I trusted my instincts! Following a string of bad results (2 wins in 7 domestic games), a 4-3 loss at home to Wolverhampton and another home defeat, this time 2-0 to West Brom sealed Harry's fate. I instantly applied hoping what Lord Sugar said was true. Three long days and numerous conversations and clandestine meetings with Daniel Levy and it was announced. Following out the fans-favourite Harry Redknapp would be me, Andre Villas-Boas it was time to truly show the English public what I can do, my time at Chelsea was too short!
Well I have inherited a mess from Mr Redknapp, a man who was recently coveted for the England job. I doubt that will be happening looking at this. It's only the middle of November and a team that should be vying for continental qualification is 17th in the league! It seems this tax evasion scandal and media links to the England job has effected this team, however no more AVB is here to save Spurs' season. I do see Harry's downfall though, numerous injuries to key players such as Lennon and that big lad Jose had last season, Adebayor, sad as I wished to use him as my targetman. I still have the creative talents of VDV and Modric, the little urchin, as well as the pace of Bale to exploit. The backroom staff is also massively lacking, time to bring in some of my own boys. I fully believe I can kickstart this season, 17th will soon turn to 7th.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Updates will come thick and fast tonight, probably in short posts too. That's the worst I've ever seen Spurs self-destruct in any of my saves over the last two years, anyone else seen it so bad?

Last edited:
My first meeting with the lads after most of them returned from international duty, how a team that is 17th in the Premier League can have key international players for a host of leading footballing nations is beyond me. This meeting needed to inspire some inspiration in the lads, get them back to their winning ways, as they all filed in I began: "Alright lads, I'm sure you all know who I am, as I do you. I'm here because you've had a ****-poor and unacceptable start to the season. I'm here to change that. We will be playing football my way from now on, a winning way. Do you all understand this?" They all nodded along, knowing they themselves had been playing terribly, Dawson said a few words to rally the team, that's why he's the captain I thought. I then went and spoke to a few key players who would be integral to my plans."Scotty!" I exclaimed when I seen him, "Now you're going to be my anchorman, your job is to put yourself about and smash anything that looks remotely like it has the football. Simple really, but very important." He nodded with glee, Scott Parker loved nothing more than putting himself about, tenacious probably was his middle name. The creative midfield duo of VDV and Modric then understood their roles, Rafael with a more forward role of spreading the ball and getting in the box, whilst Luka sat deep and ran the game. Jermain then found out how important it was, with Adebayor's absence that he scored goals, he knew his role and said he'd score for fun if I gave him the chance, which I planned to, at least for the time-being. They were the integral cogs of my 4-5-1.

View attachment 231966

The Backroom Staff

The first thing I noticed during my arrival was the lack of backroom staff, it appeared all of them had their contracts terminated prior to my arrival, this gave me the opportunity to bring in some of my own, who I knew could assist me in making the club great. After two weeks of negotiation, my team was fully assembled featuring top names such as Natal, Winsper and ex-Man U coach Brain McClair. My scouting staff have already been particularly important, with us spending long hours plotting our January transfers. Redknapp was known as a good transfer market dealer I wish to emulate him in bringing top-talent to the Lane.

View attachment 231967
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the interest in the story guys. Just trying to focus on the beginning of my time at Spurs atm, however will begin adding things such as AVB's insight/experiences/personal life as other people (Raikan/Danny) have in their stories. Any idea as to whom I'm trying to sign I'll give you some clues, a top-name continental striker, and a certain wide player... Any feedback appreciated.​

Last edited:
5 Games Unbeaten, Spurs' Luck Changes!
View attachment 232056
Defoe has been in clinical form scoring 7 in the last 5 games.
The headline was correct, since my appointment 14 goals had been scored whilst only conceding two, rocketing us from 17th to 7th, my name was in the tabloids as the mastermind behind this recent run of unbelievable form, and I was highly tipped to be announced as December's Manager of the Month, all was going well. Adebayor was back to fitness, currently playing in the reserves, ready for first team service.

However this was just beginning, Arsenal and Man Utd, my next two fixtures would be decisive in my rise, losses would just not do. Masterminding these victories would take a large portion of my time [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]but as Jose once said, "I enjoy the work, I enjoy every minute of professional life." However it was placing a strain on my family life, I hadn't spoken to [/FONT]Joana, my wife, or my two children in almost a week. They had returned in Portugal following my dismissal from Chelsea and there they had remained wanting to ensure my job was "stable" before returning to England, I believed my job was more than stable it was time to call them, and then get them to join me. I picked up the phone whilst holding one of my favorite pictures of us.

I missed them a lot, but hearing their voices made me feel back at home looking out from the veranda to the water whilst basking in the late winter heat as I often did whilst working, it was nothing like this hotel room. I would need to find a house for when they arrived, but first ensuring that we did not concede countless goals against United and Arsenal were my priorities, especially Arsenal, the fans needed something to cheer about. A win in the North London Derby and they would be ecstatic.

View attachment 232068
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think guys? Any feedback would be appreciated. I can tell those two above speculating on my transfers that it is none of them. Although one player you've mentioned does play in the same league as my target(s).​

Gameday against Arsenal, the much-anticipated North London Derby. One thing in my favour was the fact that the prolific Van Persie was injured, with the on-and-off Theo Walcott taking his place up front, that placed my nerves slightly at ease. However it would still be a hard game to say the least. The lads understood during the pre-match talk, this was for the fans, to get our continental qualification back to a possibility, to show that our season was back on track. It was all down to the 11 men in purple now as they stepped out onto the pristine pitch at the Emirates...
View attachment 232146

(28th Minute)
The net bulged as Gervinho towered above Younes Kaboul, who was filling in for an injured Ledley King, directing a header into the bottom corner, leaving Brad Friedel sprawled on the flaw, there was nothing he could do about that one I thought as Arsene came steaming out of his dugout celebrating, he knew what this game meant just as I did. The game continued with Arsenal, often styled as "Barca-lite" by the media showing us why they have that title, not even Scotty Parker could get the ball despite running almost thrice as much as any other man on the field. My halftime team talk urged the lads to do better, that they were better, and that I expected to see better. A loss would not do, a draw was hardly sufficient either, a win was what the fans wanted, what I needed.
View attachment 232147

(64th Minute)

"A lovely pass by Van Der Vart on the edge of Arsenal's 18, oh Defoe's latched onto it, he takes one touch past Mertesacker, oh what a finish!" I could already imagine what the commentators would be saying on Sky as it played out real time in my head. A beautiful goal, I'd seen it countless times on the training ground before, Jermain latching on to eye-of-the-needle passes from either VDV or Modric. He didn't dissapoint a typical powerful finish that left Szczesny rooted to the spot. It was all to play for now, with just over 35 minutes left...
View attachment 232148

(76th Minute)

They often say a Derby game isn't complete without a red card and Kaboul didn't disappoint. As the last defender he was left for dead by the dazzling speed of Walcott, who was now through upon the ageing Friedel. Kaboul wasn't standing for that though, as Walcott turned he lashed out his legs, taking the pacey winger to the floor in a heap. I buried my head in my hands, a straight red-card with fifteen minutes left against a local rivals and a top-four team, this was the last thing I needed. I decided to throw Gio Dos Santos to centre-back, hopefully his speed would stop Walcott, however considering his complete inability to tackle I don't exactly know what I thought he'd do if he caught up with him. I simply hoped that wouldn't happen...

(92nd Minute)

The stuff dreams are made of! A last minute corner, a must-win game against the local rivals! Giovani Dos Santos, not only with a complete lack of ability to tackle also isn't known on the training ground as a Target Man as the lad's only 5ft7 and can barely head a ball. However it appears when it matters, anything is possible. He's only gone and out-jumped the mammoth German that is Per Mertesacker, who is very almost a full foot taller than him. Szczesny couldn't believe it, that would explain his little-to-late dive as he watched the ball trickle into the goal. Arsenal faces around the stadium dropped, Arsene dropped to his knees as the Spurs players and fans erupted in jubilation. We'd done it! We'd came back from a 1-0 deficit to win!

Post-Match Press Conference Snippet

(Journalist)
"Are you proud of your team's performance considering you were one-nil down at Half Time?"
(Villas-Boas)
"I am absolutely ecstatic to be honest. The player's showed great character, and it was a great effort. They understood what winning this game meant not only to our season but also to the fans. However we cannot dwell on this win for too long, we face Manchester United next."

A Christmas Present from SAF

Early Christmas morning as I watched Benedita and Carolina open their presents wide-eyed in our new house whilst hand-in-hand with Joana, I thought to myself, this is a memory I will cherish forever. My mind was also thinking about our big game tomorrow, always high-flying Manchester United at the Lane. At that very moment there was a knock on the door, confused as the family were not supposed to be here for six hours. Upon opening it, I found on my doorstep a handmade wooden box and a letter on the top. Upon opening it, it read: "Merry Christmas Andre, have a good one, but not too good. I'll see you tomorrow at the Lane, meanwhile have a taste of these. I'll be bringing one to your office after the game tomorrow. Merry Christmas Alex." I hoped it would be him drowning his sorrows tomorrow rather than me, however it was a nice gift, hopefully he wouldn't be too saddened when he seen the gift my team planned to give him tomorrow - an arsekicking.​
View attachment 232178

Tottenham Hotspur 0 Manchester United 1

View attachment 232180
Villas-Boas suffers first defeat of his tenure.

Chicarito, the clinical mexican poacher proved to be my downfall against a superior Manchester side. My team under performed to say the least, a distinct lack of possession with Jermain Defoe receiving little to no chances to test De Gea. However the Red Devils did not look like scoring either, with everything set up for a 0-0 draw for Lineker and the other pundits to moan about on MOTD, on comes Hernandez to spoil it popping up on the 6-yard box as he often does, sidefooting home a Nani cross. I looked on glumly, a loss was not what I wanted but a 1-0 loss against Manchester United is hardly a bad defeat, and only the first, and hopefully my last this season. I shook Sir Alex's hand gracefully, he mentioned the Petrus he had for us to share and I nodded obligingly. A drink was just what I wanted right now, one bottle might not be enough I thought, which is why I made sure to bring a second just in case of defeat.

View attachment 232182
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First loss but I kind of expected it against Man Utd. Any feedback or more guesses as to who my transfer targets are? The wide player is awaiting a work permit, but all should be fine.

Last edited:
View attachment 232234
Tottenham 5 Sunderland 0

We were keen to get back to winning ways after the defeat to United, and that is exactly what we did. Straight from the 6th minute when Luka, playing in a more advanced and attacking role, due to me resting Rafael, blasted home from 20yards. From there it got better and better as the lads put on a masterclass, with Dos Santos, Dawson, Gallas and then clinically rounded off by an angled shot from Jose's lad Adebayor who blasted past Gordon at his near post. Brilliant. Now it was the New Year, meaning new players in, and maybe some old players out.

Transfer Unveiling

Journalist: You stand here with James Rodriguez, the exciting 20 year old Attacking Midfielder are you pleased to have got your man? Also due to the young age of James do you feel that this is a signing for the future?
Myself: I am delighted to be standing here today with James as a Tottenham player. We have scouted him thoroughly over the course of my tenure here, and obviously I managed him at Porto and I believe that he can make a contribution this season but also due to his young age I expect James to be a successful Tottenham player for the foreseeable future.

View attachment 232255

James simply raised up his Tottenham shirt, as he was unable to talk English yet. That was no problem though, his antics on the football field would be his method of communication with the fans and media. He'd be a star. This was only the beginning of my forays into the transfer market hopefully, I needed to bolster the team.

View attachment 232303
Rodriguez Changes Spur's Fortune!

View attachment 232302

The newly acquired speed merchant for Spurs' James Rodriguez has simply been unstoppable since his arrival in the capital. Handed his debut by Villas-Boas soon after signing in the FA Cup tie vs minnows AFC Wimbledon he scored one and made two impeccably placed balls team-mates to score from during the 5-1 rout. Then in his second consecutive game, this time given a start due to the minor injury to Gareth Bale, James scored the first to draw Spurs' level before finding the net again in the last minute to make the score 2-1 against the tenacious Stoke City. This places James' stats at an amazing 3 goals, 2 assists and 2 Man of the Match awards in two games all from a player with a £10m price tag, small in comparison to signings as of late in the English Premier League. Tottenham have shot up the table since Villas-Boas' arrival in early November and now find themselves in 4th position facing fierce rivalry from London neighbours Arsenal and Chelsea who are 5th and 6th respectively, however with the recent arrival of James who played under Villas-Boas at Porto, it appears Spurs' will continue their fine form for the foreseeable future and may achieve their aim of playing in Europe next season.​

Last edited:
View attachment 232404
Transfer Window Round-Up

Tottenham have purchased "wonderkids" Rodriguez and the Brazilian powerhouse Leandro Damiao, spending a total of £30m on these two players, who Villas-Boas is citing as the future of White Hart Lane. It was believed the clinical Schalke striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar was AVB's first target, however it was reported the 28 year old refused to accept a £90k a week deal leading to the break down in negotiations between the parties. Sources in the Italian media also state that there were clandestine meetings between Tottenham officials and the Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani as they tried to gain his services, although there has been no official confirmation of this.
All other major top flight teams were quiet, with even oil-rich Man City usually the first to splash the cash in the transfer windows only making one signing.

James Rodriguez in his first monh in the English Premier League, having just arrived from Portuguese outfit FC Porto is the winner of January's player of the month accolade. James has been in fine form since his debut and has scored four, totted up two assists and two man of the match awards. Our analysts here have given him an average rating of 8.7 during his three league appearances this month and it seems that Andre Villas-Boas has made a genius signing with this young lad who we hope will wow fans across England for years to come.

View attachment 232412
Make or Break Febuary for Tottenham

Villas-Boas and his boys face their biggest test this month facing Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City in a period of twelve days. Villas-Boas faces his old club who currently sit in sixth place, before then going to league leaders Manchester City for an FA cup tie, and then on to Dalglish's Liverpool who find themselves in second place with Arsenal only two points behind their arch-rivals Tottenham cannot afford to drop points. Pundits have stated that this month will show fans whether Tottenham are destined to achieve their aim of playing continental football this year or not.

"**** Month" or what, I then face City in the league, in March. **** my life. What do you think of my signings? Anyone still reading this? Feedback or interactive questions like seen in Raikan's appreciated.​

Last edited:
​February Finally Over for AVB
View attachment 232550

Villas-Boas by his own admission called it "the month he was dreading" and I am sure he will crack a smile now March is finally here after his most strenuous month since taking charge in November.

Andre's Diary
View attachment 232553
05/02/2012 (The day of Chelsea v Tottenham): A loss! Against my old club! I want to win every game, as does any top-flight manager, but a loss against Chelsea that was just unacceptable. What was worse was the fact that the long-haired useless Spanish striker who couldn't score in a brothel for me, scored twice! Twice! He didn't score twice for me playing the Chelsea under-11's! What was worse was the fact one was a 35yard freekick, In could almost see the smirk on his face as he ran past me to Roberto, was he trying to rub it in? Did he want a smack the cocky little ******? It ended 4-1 I was furious, but on to the next one we faced Liverpool next who found themselves in second somehow despite the fact that Carroll lad is useless. I'll show them. -AVB.

Tottenham unlucky not to defeat Liverpool
View attachment 232555
A 1-1 draw in a game which AVB's boys dominated the Liverpudlians. However a draw against the title contenders at Anfield is a result i'm sure AVB will be happy to take away with him before his big FA Cup tie with league leaders Manchester City.

View attachment 232561
Defensive Masterclass proves Decisive!

A change in tactics by Villas-Boas shocked Roberto Mancini's boys leading to a 2-1 defeat in a game which Tottenham showed a defense even a catenaccio playing Italian side would be proud of! Tottenham lined up in a previously unseen deep 4-2-3-1 with Sandro and Scott Parker screening the Tottenham defense from the creativity of Silva, Nasri and co. Man City could simply not find a way through until the dying minutes whilst Tottenham hit them on the counter often and with clinical precision, utilising the pace of Bale, Rodriguez and Defoe to perfection. Mancini faces Villas-Boas again in a few days, this time in the league, and I am sure he has gone to the drawing board in an attempt to counteract this unusually defensive Tottenham tactic. In this game however Villas-Boas showed why he is the youngest manager to win a European accolade and shown some similarities to his mentor Mourinho who was famous for instilling a strong defense in his teams.
View attachment 232563

Great story mate. Loving how you have written it up. Unlucky against Chelsea. I agree with you aswell about the "old Chelsea pensioners, thinking about their retirement homes in the sun" lol!

View attachment 233301
@rafvdvaart:"It's true I did wish to leave Spurs' but after a chat with the boss about the future of the club I've decided to stay!"

In recent weeks we have heard rumours of Rafael being unhappy, but it appears he has silenced these doubts via Twitter, confirming to Tottenham fans that he will remain at the club. Van der Vaart an ambitious player, who has played for Real Madrid and played in the world cup final vs Spain just last year clearly believes in Villas-Boas and his future plans for the club.

Van der Vaart's wife, the beautiful Sylvie, also took to Twitter to announce that the family would remain in London for at least another year stating: "Rafa's decided to stay in London. So glad I love it here!! x"
View attachment 233302

View attachment 233306
A good month for Tottenham
Tottenham have found a fine run of form throughout March. Suffering only a loss in the league against runaway league leaders Manchester City, all other games have been decisive victories with great performances by the team. The highlight of this for both players and fans alike was the 2-1 win against North London rivals Arsenal in the FA Cup, where the team showed great character to come back from 1-0 down after the clinical dutchman Robin Van Persie opened the scoring. Tottenham now have an easy run of fixtures until the end of the season where they face Manchester United and Arsenal, two games which may be the decisive factor in whether or not European teams will be playing at the Lane next season. Even if European football is not achieved, Tottenham fans have witnessed a dramatic turn in fortunes for their club who only five months ago found themselves in the relegation zone, now they sit in 6th place vying for European football with the Gunners who have the same amount of points this season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy the pic of Sylvie, I might have to use her more in my story and treat you all to more pictures :) Also i've already got one transfer for the summer confirmed. He's young, he's Brazilian and he's a midfielder. Any guesses as to who it is?

Last edited: