germainelol

Reaction score
I've updated my FM14 database with the new transfers and I want to create a realistic tactic of how Barcelona could setup with Suarez and their new recruits.

Here's a quick link on how most people seem to think Barca will setup: Would a 4-3-1-2 Formation work for Barcelona? - Barca Blaugranes

The major changes are are: Suarez, Rakitic, Mathieu, ter Stegen, Bravo IN (with reportedly a right winger who can operate as RB coming in too).....and Sanchez and Fabregas are OUT.

So onto the setup, it isn't too dissimilar to how Barca lined up when Messi was injured. When this happened Fabregas moved into a false 9 / false 10 position, much like Messi did for Argentina at the World Cup, and Pedro/Sanchez moved much more narrow and became strikers operating in the channels between the CBs and FBs. Essentially it does become a mix between a 4-3-3 and a 4-3-1-2, again, quite similar to how Argentina played during the WC.

I've found it nearly impossible to actually replicate the striker's roles, I can lineup with 3 AMC's and then I end up being way too narrow, or I can lineup with IF's on the wings and I end up with the 2 wingers being too wide.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this? Or how exactly to replicate Messi's role in the WC?

Other than this I've drawn up the following

--------SK--------
CWB-BPD-CD-CWB
------DLP(d)------
---AP(s)--AP(a)--
??????????????????
??????????????????

All I know is Messi is best as a number 10, Suarez would be best as a SS due to his work rate and determination and Neymar would be best roaming the front line slightly favouring the left side as he does for Brazil. So...the conundrum is how to put these 3 together? Obviously it isn't easy otherwise we would all be applying to manage Barca!

I'm also wandering if the setup for the midfield will change at all, obviously it can vary from opponent to opponent as Luis Enrique has said he will use Mascherano in his favoured DM position more. So we could see a BWM with Busquets moving forward to play in a DLP role and Rakitic join him in a BBM sort of role.

Thoughts? (Enrique has also suggested he will use a back 3 from time to time with the addition of Mathieu so if anyone has any ideas there then please share!)

Last edited:
Thanks haven't seen this one, was intrigued as to how they would setup with a back 3. I think as that article says, it's similar to how Pep lined up with Barca before....effectively 3-2-3-2-0...or 3-7-0 if you like :p

Would be interesting to see that formation put onto FM no wingbacks but two DMs

Any ideas are welcome! I'm currently trying to test some formations out, I'm undecided how to put the back 3 together, as I know Alba pushes forward quite a lot even in a back 3. So it's really:

FB(auto) ---- BPD ---- LFB

I think so anyway

I would scrap Alba, buy a more versatile CB one whos good with ball and left footed!

Well with the new transfers, that's exactly what Mathieu is...a similar defender to Abidal back in the day when Pep used to try out the back 3 on a regular basis. I can have a back 3 of Mathieu on the left (CB/LB), Pique in the middle and Bartra on the right (similar to puyol in that he can play RB), so I have the players, I just don't have the setup.

I still find it virtually impossible to recreate this kind of 3-2-3-2 setup as there is no WBs so I find myself being beaten every **** game versus any team that decide to make use of their wingers. I'm trying out a 3-2-3-2 and a 3-4-3 to see if I can get anything working, with WBs in a Van Gaal type formation its easy to get it working defensively but without the protection of the WBs it's **** hard on this FM

Last edited:
I doubt suarez and messi will play together. You only need one treq. I'd go for a regular 4-5-1.

I doubt suarez and messi will play together. You only need one treq. I'd go for a regular 4-5-1.

Why the **** would you spend that much money not to play them together? That would be ridiculous.

I don't believe a regular 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 is realistic at all, Suarez is not a normal right winger

Anyway, I'm more intrigued about this 3-2-3-2 :D I found another link below

Barcelona practicing 3-2-3-2 formation

I know they probably won't play this formation but it's **** fun to try and get it to work in FM

Why the **** would you spend that much money not to play them together? That would be ridiculous.

I don't believe a regular 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 is realistic at all, Suarez is not a normal right winger

Anyway, I'm more intrigued about this 3-2-3-2 :D I found another link below

Barcelona practicing 3-2-3-2 formation

I know they probably won't play this formation but it's **** fun to try and get it to work in FM

Maybe Messi is getting injury prone after all this time, and they need decent backup? I read something in papers, about Messi's grandad critisising him for not running enough...They may play together, but I think having two treq's isn't very balanced, and they will soon give it up...my 451 with rakitic as box to box and xavi as dlps, and macherano as bwmd in DM, works nicely though.

Maybe Messi is getting injury prone after all this time, and they need decent backup? I read something in papers, about Messi's grandad critisising him for not running enough...They may play together, but I think having two treq's isn't very balanced, and they will soon give it up...my 451 with rakitic as box to box and xavi as dlps, and macherano as bwmd in DM, works nicely though.

I can't say I can agree purely because it is Suarez and Messi, two of the biggest talents of football (regardless of Suarez's behaviour), you can't leave them out. All the reports coming out of Spain seem to suggest they are likely to play a 4-3-1-2, similar to how Argentina played at the World Cup with Messi dropping slightly deeper to join in with play and become a second playmaker. From here he can do as he did in the WC, running at players and creating chances.

My guess would be a cross between 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 used on numerous ocasions by Pep and Tito(last time during the famous 4-0 thrashing of milan), its a basic 4-3-3 with the right winger playing very centrally and the right back playing an extremally attacking role to provide width on this side, on the other side the winger stays wide without the ball stretching the backline even further. The left back plays a more defensive role and the backline shifts to the right when in possesion providing cover for the adventurous right back. This formation creates space for Messi since the centrebacks cant really close him down with Suarez up front and the central mids will find themselves 3v4 against 4 extremally good ball players. Suarez is also one of the best players in starting and organizing the pressing high up the pitch.

Barcelona 4-0 Milan: Villa plays centrally and allows Messi space between the lines | Zonal Marking

4-2-2-2?

LB CD CD RB

MC MC
LW RW
ST ST

Something similar to that, not sure what the formation is technically called but I would possibly play Messi as a Treq and Suarez... not sure.

You could even play a 4-5-1 and have Suarez on the Right wing.

My guess would be a cross between 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 used on numerous ocasions by Pep and Tito(last time during the famous 4-0 thrashing of milan), its a basic 4-3-3 with the right winger playing very centrally and the right back playing an extremally attacking role to provide width on this side, on the other side the winger stays wide without the ball stretching the backline even further. The left back plays a more defensive role and the backline shifts to the right when in possesion providing cover for the adventurous right back. This formation creates space for Messi since the centrebacks cant really close him down with Suarez up front and the central mids will find themselves 3v4 against 4 extremally good ball players. Suarez is also one of the best players in starting and organizing the pressing high up the pitch.

Barcelona 4-0 Milan: Villa plays centrally and allows Messi space between the lines | Zonal Marking

I agree this would be a likely setup, and I've tried to get this setup working, but it's extremely difficult.

In my opinion the DM isn't a HB at all, but rather the back 3 all know to shift to the right when the RB pushes up high, so in possession it becomes a back 3, and out of possession a back 4. Trying to get this to work in FM14 is impossible though I think

I saw that article about Barca playing the 3-2-3-2 and was very interested about how play out on FM. Anyways heres an attempt I've had only played a handful of games with Barcelona after signing the prodigal nibbler. Ive never played with a 'super' club like barca so i don't know how much was down to awesome players or the tactics hopefully both i guess. This tactic played very well in possession.

he screenies are of Blackburn just because thats the save im on now.

Anyways just thought id share, i do like having a go at unusual tactics but i am certainty no pro!

I saw that article about Barca playing the 3-2-3-2 and was very interested about how play out on FM. Anyways heres an attempt I've had only played a handful of games with Barcelona after signing the prodigal nibbler. Ive never played with a 'super' club like barca so i don't know how much was down to awesome players or the tactics hopefully both i guess. This tactic played very well in possession.

he screenies are of Blackburn just because thats the save im on now.

Anyways just thought id share, i do like having a go at unusual tactics but i am certainty no pro!

How did you find your formation width wise? Were you vulnerable down the flanks due to no wingbacks?

How did you find your formation width wise? Were you vulnerable down the flanks due to no wingbacks?

Dominating possession is a good place to start when defending so the opposition tend to be pushed right back into their own half therefore limiting there chance to counter out wide just like in RL, other than that i have the 2 wide CB's set to stopper to try and act like semi fullbacks i guess closing down the wide attacker while the 2 other CB's hopefully slide other on the cover.

Like i say i didn't test that much i just wanted to see it set out on FM might try it out on this save see how we go and report back.

Dominating possession is a good place to start when defending so the opposition tend to be pushed right back into their own half therefore limiting there chance to counter out wide just like in RL, other than that i have the 2 wide CB's set to stopper to try and act like semi fullbacks i guess closing down the wide attacker while the 2 other CB's hopefully slide other on the cover.

Like i say i didn't test that much i just wanted to see it set out on FM might try it out on this save see how we go and report back.

Quick question, did you have any PIs on the defenders? Always wanted to try a 3 man defence without wingbacks.

Quick question, did you have any PIs on the defenders? Always wanted to try a 3 man defence without wingbacks.

Nope nothing, it is just a draft but other than setting shorter passing not sure what else i would set.