My guess would be a cross between 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 used on numerous ocasions by Pep and Tito(last time during the famous 4-0 thrashing of milan), its a basic 4-3-3 with the right winger playing very centrally and the right back playing an extremally attacking role to provide width on this side, on the other side the winger stays wide without the ball stretching the backline even further. The left back plays a more defensive role and the backline shifts to the right when in possesion providing cover for the adventurous right back. This formation creates space for Messi since the centrebacks cant really close him down with Suarez up front and the central mids will find themselves 3v4 against 4 extremally good ball players. Suarez is also one of the best players in starting and organizing the pressing high up the pitch.

Barcelona 4-0 Milan: Villa plays centrally and allows Messi space between the lines | Zonal Marking

This is how I lined up and did it in FM:

View attachment 346571

We won 3:0 match against FCP, and Messi did a hattrick

I saw that article about Barca playing the 3-2-3-2 and was very interested about how play out on FM. Anyways heres an attempt I've had only played a handful of games with Barcelona after signing the prodigal nibbler. Ive never played with a 'super' club like barca so i don't know how much was down to awesome players or the tactics hopefully both i guess. This tactic played very well in possession.

he screenies are of Blackburn just because thats the save im on now.

Anyways just thought id share, i do like having a go at unusual tactics but i am certainty no pro!

I tried a similar tactic with my Liverpool team. Same formation, but slightly different roles. I honestly think this formation only works against teams that play very narrow. Once I came up against a team with a wide formation, with wingers and fullbacks moving forward, I was leaking goals (no matter how weak the team I faced).

In practice, it looks like it would work. My DCR and DCL drift out wide to pick up attacks on the flank, and my DM's drop in to the back line to fill the void left by the DCR and DCL. But the reoccurring problem is that the DCR and DCL just can't get wide enough fast enough to close down and make a stop before the wide attackers send the ball in. The opposition typically gets too much time on the ball out wide, and can do whatever they want with it.

Maybe with very very fast DCL/DCR's, a dominant aerial DC, and DM's that are also dominant in the air and can mitigate the free crosses opponents get with this formation, the defense would be less shaky. But I think the match engine just can't handle this formation properly.