Barton: I'm the best English Midfielder

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 4K

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
Joey Barton admits he is bemused as to why he is not involved in the England team as he feels he is best English midfielder around.

Wigan-v-Newcastle-Joey-Barton-celeb_2546621.jpg

The Newcastle star has issued a damning verdict on the current England side singling out Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry for his most fierce criticism.

Barton, who has one England cap to his name, has been continually overlooked by England boss Fabio Capello despite his impressive form for Newcastle this season.

The former Manchester City man admits he would love to add to his one cap picked up against Spain in 2007, but believes his past misdeameanours are counting against him.

"Honestly, I think I'm the best [English midfielder]," Barton told the French magazine So Foot. "Luka Modric and Samir Nasri are very good, but in terms of English players... well, Jack Wilshere isn't bad, but Frank Lampard's on the way down and Steven Gerrard's been injured a lot.

"I'm English and I love playing for my country. "Maybe the people at the top have a problem with me. I don't know. But the trouble I had was four years ago. They should be able to forgive, shouldn't they?"

Barton saved his most withering remarks for Barry, who captained England in last week's friendly with Ghana. "Did you see the game against Germany at the World Cup?" asked Barton. "If you watch the fourth goal, when [Mesut] Ozil was up against Barry, it was like the hare and the tortoise.

"Barry's got a very good agent," Barton indicated as the reason for the player's success. "He's also discreet and always agrees with the manager. He's like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly don't lose any sleep when I play against him."

The 28-year-old believes England are stuck in the past and that if they do not change their approach they will never win the World Cup again.

"We English will play the next 50 World Cups and we'll never win one," added Barton. "The people in charge at the FA played football maybe 50 or 60 years ago and still think that we can win a World Cup in the same way we did in 1966.

"We're too focused on tradition in England, like always having to play 4-4-2. Sometimes you need to experiment, drop a bit deeper so you have more space to move into.

"France, Italy and Germany have done it. We've been doing the same thing for 20 years."

Football365 | All The News | Football News | BARTON: I'M BEST ENGLISH MIDFIELDER

I too, don't like Barry, and I too, think Barton should get a shout.

Barton deserves a call-up, but the current crop of English midfielders have just been deployed, and adding him into the mix may disrupt that. We saw a good performance from Wilshere, Barry and Parker from the Wales and Ghana games respectively, but adding Barton to replace an England member, I could assure, would not be a great decision.

I'd have waited until this is confirmed as a legitimate and not misquoted/mistranslated interview before judging anything, we've had problems with the French press recently... However I do agree that Barton has been one of, if not the, best English midfielder this season, and if Capello was calling players up on form, like he said he would, then he'd be in the first team, but Capello hasn't been in the North-East once this season.

Go Barton! I think its time for a change too, get the next generation in the likes of, Rodwell, Jones, Delfounso, Walker & Carroll.

I'd have waited until this is confirmed as a legitimate and not misquoted/mistranslated interview before judging anything, we've had problems with the French press recently... However I do agree that Barton has been one of, if not the, best English midfielder this season, and if Capello was calling players up on form, like he said he would, then he'd be in the first team, but Capello hasn't been in the North-East once this season.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, you have t pick n a mix of both, and where would you pick barton? not on the flanks, not in the hole, not in the playmaking position, so possibly the holding role, and the return of Thudd, and the emergence of Rodwell will put paid to that

I think the problem with Barton isn't his ability but his temperament. Why would any England Manager take that risk?

I think he is 100% spot on with his comments.... Particularly the bit where he said his past mis-demeanors are counting against him!

I would though say that Barton COULD have been the best English midfielder around, had he sorted out his attitude a few years earlier. I still have reservations on his temperament, yeah, so he went to prison four years ago, he also stubbed a cigar into Dabo's eye and then kicked the **** out of him in training, and this season, he recently tried to break Diaby's leg in the Arsenal match.

Sorry Joey, I know you're a scouser and all but that's too many strikes against you.

I think he is 100% spot on with his comments.... Particularly the bit where he said his past mis-demeanors are counting against him!

I would though say that Barton COULD have been the best English midfielder around, had he sorted out his attitude a few years earlier. I still have reservations on his temperament, yeah, so he went to prison four years ago, he also stubbed a cigar into Dabo's eye and then kicked the **** out of him in training, and this season, he recently tried to break Diaby's leg in the Arsenal match.

Sorry Joey, I know you're a scouser and all but that's too many strikes against you.

on the international stage temperament is everything, same reason Cattermole hasnt been called up for the holding mid role, cant trust him stay on the pitch

Well, who would want to play alongside someone with an attitude like that? I would never play alongside someone who publically said that he was better than me.

His temperament is the problem, despite being composed in the face of constant winding up and harsh tackles this season? (Save for a tap on Pedersen). What about Rooney's temperament?

I think he can count himself lucky that he is still playing football at all to be honest.

And saying things like this is only going to hinder his chances even more.

I think this was old news. Remember reading the same article or very smilar to this one.

Anyways, I dont think he will ever get a place in England team, i mean starting regularly. England have got so many quality young players and i dont think any manager will risk playing Barton. He is a good player, no doubt in that, but not sure about his temperament.

He's a right t*at. Saying this isn't going to encourage Capello to call him up, quite the opposite.

I think the problem with Barton isn't his ability but his temperament. Why would any England Manager take that risk?

Have to agree. No doubt about it, the guy would give 100% & would be committed and fearless. Too much of a bomb scare at the end of the day. He has nobody to blame but himself

Agree with him on all points. Wilshere's alright, Lampards on his last legs and Gerrard is always injured.

Can't stand Barry and Ozil did pwn him, where as BArton would have took the yellow and clattered him.

Give him a chance I say, regardless of what he has done in the past.

"Barry's got a very good agent," Barton indicated as the reason for the player's success. "He's also discreet and always agrees with the manager. He's like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly don't lose any sleep when I play against him."

Best Quote Ever

Well, who would want to play alongside someone with an attitude like that? I would never play alongside someone who publically said that he was better than me.

Really ? Tbh if I was Barry it would just drive me on to prove him wrong.

As for Barton, hard to disagree with what he says, thought in fairness I wouldn't have him anywhere near the England team, too much of a liability.

His temperament is the problem, despite being composed in the face of constant winding up and harsh tackles this season? (Save for a tap on Pedersen). What about Rooney's temperament?

not even in the same league, and if these words are accurate and not lost in translation hes just shot himself massively in the foot

Back