Barton: I'm the best English Midfielder

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 4K
Really ? Tbh if I was Barry it would just drive me on to prove him wrong.

As for Barton, hard to disagree with what he says, thought in fairness I wouldn't have him anywhere near the England team, too much of a liability.

Hang on, you're Scottish! We like England's team having liabilities!

He's been in good form so give him a chance. Nolan deserves a call up too imo

I struggle to see how people can complain about his temperament after seeing him have the absolute **** kicked out of him by Wolves this season, with no reaction. Also when Diaby grabbed him around the neck and threw him to the floor when we played Arsenal. Granted, 3-4 years ago, Barton was a complete ***, but I think he has matured alot since then, and I imagine the added responsibility of playing for his country would only improve his behaviour, as he might (should) feel it would be his last chance, and he wouldn't want to to **** it up.

Although, obviously, so I don't sound too bias, he did knock out Pederson with a one inch punch earlier in the season, which was rather.. stupid, but that is one thing, compared to a number of times a team have targeted him for hard tackles due to his reputation.

All the points he makes, I agree with.

His temperment may have improved, but best English midfielder? This season, Parker has been superb, so disagree. Yes he has been very good, but Parker wins that argument.
However, he should get an International call-up at some point. But he's a bit harsh imo on Wilshere-he's going to get much better, and to say he's alright is a little bit of an insult on the player tbh.
There's a fine line between cofident arrogance, and arrogance. And if those words are not misinterpreted, it's a little bit too arrogant. By saying what he did (if not misinterpreted), won't win him any favours with the current England players

I disagree that ability-wise he is the best English Midfielder, but he's superior to Barry (As is every midfielder in the Country) so I certainly wouldn't mind him getting a call-up in the latter's stead.

in my opinion, he isn't even the best English midfielder at Newcastle. if I could pick between the two, i'd have Nolan in the England squad long before even considering Barton.

he'll just disrupt the harmony, if the piece is correct, then who'll want to play with someone who claims they're the best, and criticize others.

Been in good form this season, and at the age of 28 he'll probably want to get some more caps under his belt, cant see if happening though, unfortunately.

On this season Barton deserves a call-up most definatly and i wouldnt dis-agree with him about being the best English midfielder this season. Its between him and Wilshere most definatly. I think he would be an excellent international but Capello wont take a risk on him.

I think the problem with Barton isn't his ability but his temperament. Why would any England Manager take that risk?

Although I agree with this I can't see why they wouldn't call him up for one of the many meaningless friendlies we've had over the past few months. Would hardly make a difference if it was a risk or not being a friendly. Just see how he gets on, he deserves it to be fair to him.

Probably should be in the England team, but his attitude is bad, insulting other team mates and calling Ousmane Dabo a '*****'. I'd rather not have in the team, thanks, no matter how good he is.

Barton is a massive ****. The only thing he deserves is to be in prison for his various crimes...he shouldn't be allowed to play football.

I read that this morning although he thinks very highly of himself IMO Scott Parker and Barton are the 2 best english midfielders

Barton is **** compared to other English Midfielders such as Gerrard, Scholes and Parker.

To be fair, Barton and Nolan have been two of the most consistent English midfielders this season. According to the Castrol Rankings, Barton is Europe's 90th top performing player this season, joint with Ribery, and the only other English midfielders ranked higher are Kevin Nolan(45), and Lampard(4).

His attitude and off-the-field problems have no doubt hindered him ever getting so much as a look at by Capello, but since he returned from his prison sentence in 2008, he has been superb for Newcastle. His attitude has been outstanding(bar MGP incident). A lot of teams have tried to target him, due to his history of bad behaviour, but has shown he is a more mature player. All of the comments he made, I agree with.

I don't care if he doesn't get called up, his performances on the pitch have been superb, and his club football is ultimately what counts.

Barton is **** compared to other English Midfielders such as Gerrard, Scholes and Parker.

Would hardly call him ****. Look at his performances for Newcastle. And his off-field behaviour is much improved. Yeah the others you mentioned are real quality, but Barton on top of his game can be up there aswell

That is shallow. All three are top class, I will not disagree with that, but Gerrard hasn't been great, and Scholes is past it. Form is supposed to be the key to playing for your nation.

That is shallow. All three are top class, I will not disagree with that, but Gerrard hasn't been great, and Scholes is past it. Form is supposed to be the key to playing for your nation.

I like you Stu... Well before you said Scholes was past it, he could still do a job in the england side....

I think if barton was 3 or 4 years younger, i would want him in the squad, but i just dont see the point due to his age now.. Shame, if he showed this control earlier in his career, he could of been the star he threatened to be as a young player.

Back