Barton: I'm the best English Midfielder

• Thread starter Thread starter Jack Fulham
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 4K
I like you Stu... Well before you said Scholes was past it, he could still do a job in the england side....

I think if barton was 3 or 4 years younger, i would want him in the squad, but i just dont see the point due to his age now.. Shame, if he showed this control earlier in his career, he could of been the star he threatened to be as a young player.

He's two years younger than Parker though, and the type of player he is I can see him playing at the top level for another 5+ years, he's not reliant on pace or mobility. It is a shame it's took him until he got to Newcastle to kick the drink and find his form, but if he'd done it beforehand we wouldn't have him, so can't complain there.

He's two years younger than Parker though, and the type of player he is I can see him playing at the top level for another 5+ years, he's not reliant on pace or mobility. It is a shame it's took him until he got to Newcastle to kick the drink and find his form, but if he'd done it beforehand we wouldn't have him, so can't complain there.

Yeah, suppose thats the way you guys have to look at it... I also think Parker is too old for England and we should be looking into Rodwell personally. But again that is my view.

Yeah we do need to focus on bringing through the youth, instead of relying on the same players who've failed us time and time again. But when there's a 28 year old in the form of his life, I think it's worth making use of him for a tournament or two, especially when we seem to lack good crossers at the moment, and have a certain striker coming through who he linked very well with.

Yeah we do need to focus on bringing through the youth, instead of relying on the same players who've failed us time and time again. But when there's a 28 year old in the form of his life, I think it's worth making use of him for a tournament or two, especially when we seem to lack good crossers at the moment, and have a certain striker coming through who he linked very well with.

I dont think we are really lacking good crossers, with the likes of Downing and Young they both hit in a mean cross... so our wing positions should almost be sorted, with Lennon offering competition in the England side.

I like you Stu... Well before you said Scholes was past it, he could still do a job in the england side....

I think if barton was 3 or 4 years younger, i would want him in the squad, but i just dont see the point due to his age now.. Shame, if he showed this control earlier in his career, he could of been the star he threatened to be as a young player.

If Barton was younger...yet you say Scholes could do a job. Double standard. BTW, Scholes isn't the player he was 7 years ago, you must admit.

I also think Parker is too old for England and we should be looking into Rodwell personally. But again that is my view.

Wouldn't complain if Rodwell was picked.

If Barton was younger...yet you say Scholes could do a job. Double standard. BTW, Scholes isn't the player he was 7 years ago, you must admit.

I wuld have rodwell in the squad along side Parker, he could learn a lot from him, and we could bld hime while having an experienced player too, in a similar fashion to how we have both wilshere and lampard, strength in depth

He needs to grow his 118 118 moustache back then I can watch and laugh at this chump thug. Hate the guy although he is better than Barry but who isn't

Did i put anyone in my post that i would pick scholes..? Dont think i did mate. You need to read more careful before you accuse me of such things. He is the same as 7 years ago, but there is still no-one better in England playing in that deeper role he has developed into. That being said i wouldnt play him for the national side die to age

He has proberly been the best english midfielder this season after Scotty Parker. But of corse the things that he has done in the past are going to maybe stop him getting into the england team. Why would Capello take the risk with someone with a temprement like his.

Deserves a shot, definately.

I know im going off the point a little but im amazed nolan has NEVER had a call up, granted the central midfield has been a hard position to crack if your name isnt Lampard or Gerrard but i thought he would of had a chance somewhere along the line....

Back on topic, i feel joey is right in what he is saying, as a few lads have already said, his attitude this season (bar the pederson punch) has been positive and he has been reserved in his anger, like it was mentioned, karl henry kicking the living daylights out of him went with NO reaction at all from barton, where as, if that was a few years ago, he would of went at karl henry with fists flying.

Just hope this doesnt count against barton now.

Right yer...Joey Barton is a really good footballer when he isnt mouthing off or being a total d*ckhead...but I would not say that he is the best Englsih midifleder around!! Needs to put some major play down to acheive that!

Barton is exactly what England needs! They have too many players that clearly only care about their clubs. England needs a fiery, outspoken player who always gives 110% and is willing to call out his teammates if they don't put forth enough effort. He's played well enough so he deserves it, and if I were Capello I'd definitely try him out, especially since you guys are moving towards a 5 man midfield. I know there are questions about his temperament--so just don't play him in a World Cup game. Give him some caps in Euro and WC qualifiers, when other players on the team will be prone to laziness and a lack of focus. Barton will give England exactly what it needs during those games, and then when the really important games come around keep him on the bench. If you're losing than take the risk and bring him on...he's the spark you'd want to bring on in those games. So I don't see why he's being frozen out, other than the fact that he speaks his mind. For that reason I bet he never sees a cap under Capello.

Sometimes I think Joey Barton is the footballing version of Charlie Sheen.

Back