Battlefield 3 (PC, Xbox 360 and PS3)

I soooooooo cant wait i preordered the day it was on game haha

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Thanks for all the posts nathan :)

hope the Carl Gustavs are on bf3 going to be some serious destruction

CERFY was at C2E2 today to get some more details on Battlefield 3. The footage wasn't open to the public, but they were able to squeeze some pretty good answers out of the developers and people in the know about Battlefield 3. One question relating to whether or not console players would get smaller maps than their PC team-mates. The answer was yes, console players will get smaller maps in Battlefield 3.

Another question that has been seen many times on this forum and around other gaming websites was how were jets going to deal with the compressed maps. The reply they got was that only the players are limited to a boundary, jets would be able to fly out to circle around and come-back. Probably a lot like in Battlefield 2, soldiers couldn't go past a certain point, but jets could keep going. This is seen in the below screen shot, soldiers -> helicopters can't enter the red areas, but planes could.

dalien-plant.jpg

Fueling the PC vs. console debate is how the graphics will differ on the platforms. This to was also answered. With DICE's talented development team they have been able to compress the graphics through streaming (which we've been hearing a lot about from GDC 2011 conferences) and pipelines. The console will then uncompress the information with about the same quality as the PC. A console has not been seen running the game yet and multiplayer videos of Battlefield 3 have not yet been seen as well.

The article did not state who they (CERFY) interviewed, but we trust it was someone reputable.

http://enterbf3.com/viewtopic.php?t=1454&sid=2be3c724c44c388e055505d7eaa15397

Some of the less mature console players are raging in the comments, they don't seem to realise that the 6 year old hardware won't be able to handle the sheer scale of these maps.

Last edited:
I have no problem with smaller maps than PC, with less players wasn't that to be expected? I don't want to have to run for about 5 minutes before I find somebody to kill.

Thanks for the update Nathan, keep them coming because I rarely keep up with games I only have an average interest in.

I do love the days of 64 player on the big map of Karkand. Hoping they don't scale down the maps too much. Bf2 had choice of same maps but just scaled down for number of people. They should do that again

I still play Bad Company 2 to this day. ****** on Black Ops. Most anticipated game of 2011 easily! Cannot wait. Words can't describe my excitement for this game

YouTube - BATTLEFIELD 3 - Fault Line Episode 3 - Get that Wire Cut [HD]

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Hotly anticipated shooter Battlefield 3 features a 12-hour campaign, according to a report.
Chatting with DICE general manager Karl Troedsson, a reporter from Games.on.net mentioned the 12-hour figure.

"Naturally we want to introduce more people to our franchise," Troedsson replied, explaining its inclusion. "A lot of people don't want to jump straight into multiplayer. They want to feel around a bit and they're ready to move over to online."

He added: "The hardcore online people, they don't care, they're just straight in. Maybe they don't even touch the campaign. But we want to get more people in, invite more people into the franchise. That's one of the main reasons why we have this different part of the game."

The length of first-person shooter campaigns was a topic brought to the fore recently with thelaunch of THQ's Homefront, which drew complaints for its five-hour campaign.

Many believe Battlefield 3 will offer Activision's Call of Duty its most serious challenge yet atop the first-person shooter mountain.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-30-battlefield-3-campaign-12-hours-long

YouTube - Games.on.net Exclusive: Battlefield 3 GDC 2011 Interview

They're clearly on some **** beginner mode in that first video.

Looks quite good though to be fair, I want the BETA.

The Battlefield 3 release date may well have just been given away by the EA Download Manager - and if true, we'll be looking at a very possible dust up with Modern Warfare 3.

Activison's yet-to-be announced inevitability annually tends to launch in mid-November.

If the Battlefield 3 release date on EA Store is accurate - and it would be odd for the publisher to use such an accurate placeholder on its own site - EA could steal the march on its FPS rival by a full week.

November 2 is a Wednesday, which would make it at odds with the usual US release date day of Tuesday, whilst major games usually hit Europe on a Friday. For a title as big as Battlefield 3, however, a worldwide 'event' release date would not be too much of a wild surprise.

Electronic Arts is setting the bar high for Battlefield 3.

Speaking during the Ad Age Digital Conference in New York City today, CEO John Riccitiello confirm it will launch Battlefield 3 in November of this year and said the publisher has rival Activision's Call of Duty series in its sights.

"This November, we're launching Battlefield 3. It's going up against the next Call of Duty, which is presently the #1 game in the game industry," he said. "A game that last year did $400 million dollars in revenue on day one. [Battlefield 3] is designed to take that game down."

Riccitiello later compared this holiday's battle between the two games to the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry in baseball and said gamers can expect to see massive advertising campaigns for both titles.

"There will be a couple hundred million dollars of marketing against these two products going head to head. We think we have the better product," Riccitiello added.

EA Games president Frank Gibeau echoed similar comments during GDC last month when he told us: "Everybody loves a heavyweight fight, and that's what this is going to be. We're here to compete."

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Play both of these at the same time, insane.

[video=youtube;DsHIHxYXeLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsHIHxYXeLs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;lOJqicM6x84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJqicM6x84&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Better be good n not ****** like the rest of FPS these days, same run around ratatatatatata arcadey **** usually followed by some kid sniping you when ever you take a step in the open.

It will be better than COD if its anywhere near as good as BF2, regardless of how good COD is ;)

Focusing on the PC is the future

Patrick Bach, like a lot of the DICE team who are present at today's EA showcase in London, is looking as pleased as punch this morning. And why wouldn't he be? Battlefield 3 looks absolutely storming from what we've seen of it so far, with the kind of trendsetting level of visuals and audio that separated Crysis from the pack four years ago, so the DICE senior producer has reason to be just a wee bit enthusiastic.

The PC's evolved along plenty since Crysis days, but we're still playing on the same consoles as we were back in 2007. We ask Patrick about how the balance between PC and consoles has affected development of the latest Battlefield, and also about how the studio has learnt from the single-player experience it crafted in the Bad Company series. Oh, and we vainly inquire about Mirror's Edge.

You've been talking a lot about how Battlefield 3 is optimized for PC. Is PC the lead platform?

Yes, which is of course a challenge as we're [also] releasing it on the consoles. The interesting part of that is since we are developing for high-end PC features and really pushing it on the PC, we are actually learning a lot about the consoles. A lot of people think that we've hit the roof on the consoles because they're five years old but we're actually finding out a lot of things that you can do on the consoles that haven't been done before. To us, we're increasing what is possible on the consoles because we're aiming higher than the consoles. Usually you look at last year's games and try to the same but better, but since we're aiming way higher than the console specs we're actually finding new ways to get more out of them with the rendering engine and the animation engine and streaming technology and stuff like that. So it's really exciting to see what we can get out of the consoles.

Do you think that's going against where the industry's going? The audience share is much larger on consoles and a lot of traditional PC-based franchises are leading on consoles. Do you think that there's some risk in not leading on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3?

Yes, there is a risk, of course there's always a risk. I think the biggest risk is that people get scared is because it's not the sane choice when it comes to economy. We are game developers and we don't really care about that. If we make a good game we think that someone will be able to sell it. If we want to play it then other people want to play it. So us doing this is not based on a sane monetary decision, it's actually based on us being desperate to move gaming forward and you can't do that by trying to mimic the last game, no matter if it's your own or if it's the competition. We want to build the best possible Battlefield game. When we started design on Battlefield 3 we actually came up with all these cool things.

Again, we don't want to build Battlefield 2, we want to build a new game, so some people get upset because it's not a copy of the old game. It's like "But no, it's supposed to be new, it's new stuff. You can play the old game, that's fine - it's really cheap actually!" So when we started to design Battlefield 3 we said "Oh, we need to do this, we need to do that." We want it to feel more realistic, to be a more physical experience, immerse the player even further into the world. We want to keep the core pillars of what Battlefield is so don't screw with the sport [aspect]. We try to see Battlefield as a sport. We have a rule set that works - the whole rock, paper, scissors thing, so don't screw with that. And then we were done with that and then we realized, "OK, we can't build this, we don't have the technology to build this!" It's so much more than what we've seen before, and looking at other engines it's like no, no you can't build Battlefield games with engines other than our own because we have so many components, scale, big and small destructions, vehicles, 64 players and stuff like that. So we actually had to spend some time building the core of the engine before we actually started building the game, which was a bit frustrating because you want to be able to start Day 1 but we couldn't. So we have been building the engine for almost three years before even starting to build the game. We saw it as...if we do this now based on today's technology we can actually build on that for the future. We've seen what so many console generations and PC s have shown in the past so we know what you need, what kind of core technology you need to build games for the future. It's things like the streaming technologies, the DX11 features - if you don't start now you'll behind in a year or two. So we've actually worked very close with the DX team to set the bar on what we want and what we need for the future.

AMD said something recently about Direct X holding the PC back a bit. Is that your experience or do you find Direct X is still as useful as it ever was?

I think it's really useful. I am not working with rendering technologies myself, I'm not a rendering programmer, but I've not heard any complaints from our rendering team like it's holding them back. I think if you didn't follow the DX rule set you could probably squeeze something more out of it, but that's always the case with very specific hardware. If you didn't go through Windows or MAC OS you could probably have a more powerful experience. But the reason you have the DX there is because it's the standard. It's easy to scale it to more PC setups. If we removed it we would have a harder time scaling to different platforms and different PC configurations. I'm not too sure about this since I'm not working with it myself, but there's so much you can do with DX10 and DX11 that people still haven't even done, so there's still a lot to explore in that area. So I'm not too scared about the limitations right now.

Crytek has just released Crysis 2 and they've placed a lot of emphasis on how they've led development or at least separately for PC to give the PC the best sort of experience. EA Games President Frank Gibeau has also been talking about the PC as the way of the future. If Battlefield 3 is as successful as it looks like it's going to be, do you feel this could generate a switch towards using the PC as a lead platform rather than the consoles?

Oh yes, definitely. I think the reason why we and hopefully Crytek - I don't know if that's their kind of thinking - but because the consoles are so old now, honestly they're really old, the next generation of consoles, whenever they show up, will be based on what the PC's doing. It's always been like that. You look at what PC's doing and when you release you're probably 20% better than the best PC on the market just because you can ignore a lot of the operating systems and all the limitations of being a flexible platform. You just do your thing and probably sell epic hardware. The problem is that of course two years later and the PC's ahead. Like today we're three years past since the PCs came on par with the consoles and now the PC's so much more powerful. So to us, focusing on the PC is focusing on the future. Scaling it back to the consoles? We know how to do that. We want to create the same experience on the consoles but that doesn't mean from a technology perspective you'll get the same full-on hardware experience because the PC has more RAM, more CPU, more GPU. You can't beat that, it's impossible. Scaling that down, dumbing that down for PCs - that's just sad.

With regards some of the other large-scale shooters out there - we've just had Homefront, for example - we're seeing a lot of first-person shooters with traditionally smaller multiplayers expand into larger-scale multiplayer. If you take that and combine it with the fact that you have this community so attached to Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2, what are the challenges in going, "Well look, here's a new Battlefield game, and we're going to convince you to pick it up"?

Ooh, maybe we're not strategic enough at DICE because we might not think about that enough, to be honest. I think since we are building a Battlefield game, and with Battlefield 2 being a Battlefield game and Bad Company 2 being a Battlefield game , then take the best from both of these and imagine us having that in the back of our heads when we build Battlefield 3. We don't want to build a bad game. People will just have to trust us on that! We want to build the best possible Battlefield game and we'll take the components that we think will [let us] do that. In some cases, people will keep playing Battlefield 2 for any reason because we're not building the same game. Some people will keep playing Bad Company 2 because of other reasons. Our goal is of course to make sure that Battlefield 3 is so much better than both of them that you won't have a reason not to play it, and marrying those two communities would be amazing if we could do it. Of course, getting more people interested in the game would create a bigger community, and a bigger community in a way creates better games because you get more feedback, more telemetry on how things are moving along in the game and that helps us make better choices for the future. We are collecting telemetry from all our games and making sure Battlefield 3 is well balanced. Even though people are complaining we know that the game is balanced. People complain a lot about specific guns or specific classes in Bad Company 2, but when we look at the data it's like sorry man, it's actually working. You feel like you're losing but you're actually winning.

DICE General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson has mentioned that Battlefield 3 isn't the only thing you're working on at the moment. I'm not going to ask you what it is since I know you're not going to answer that, but is it something that's brand new?

I can't answer that (laughs). We have more than Battlefield in the studio, that's for sure. Not everyone... a lot of people are working on Battlefield 3 but we have quite a few people working on stuff.

And... do you have any more clarity on the Mirror's Edge situation?

You said you wouldn't ask me about that! (laughs) We love Mirror's Edge, but that's all I can say.

We had to ask, sorry! Back to Battlefield 3: can you beat Modern Warfare 3, you know, if the game's released in November...?

If you're talking about sales I think that's other people than me to figure that one out. If you're talking about quality, I would argue that last year we probably had the best first-person shooter. Looking at Metacritic and Game Rankings and stuff like that we had the better game according to reviewers and consumers, but that's not enough, is it? There are other factors if you want to sell copies, there's marketing, there's the social behaviour of people, there are big communities playing other games. We think we have a more attractive game than the competition, not only the one you mentioned, but in general, and that there's no reason to not play Battlefield.

It's a more personal experience. You can create your own path through the multiplayer, finding your way of playing - it's not twitch skill only. That's a part of it, but not the whole thing. That's the beauty of Battlefield. Depending on your mood, you can play in different ways, so it's not only your personality but your mood. "Today I want to play more like this" So you find a map, you pick your kit, you add your specializations, and then go out and do you whatever you want to do. And it's not only about shooting people in the head, it's about helping your team, being more strategic, working together. You don't have to fire a single shot and you can still win the round, which is I think is a very attractive part of a first-person shooter. And then you have the whole vehicle focus, so you have some people who are like "I'm a pilot, that's what I do. I pilot helicopters and I do that really well so I'm helping the team by being the best possible pilot." That's a layer that most other shooters don't have. Then we want to be the best FPS... shooter (laughs) as well. So the whole aiming, shooting through the gun experience needs to be perfect. We've done this for quite some time. DICE has been building this game through every iteration so this is not a new studio building Battlefield. This is the same core group of people that have been working since 1942.

You're a studio that very much focuses on a multiplayer experience, but you've built in single-player over time. Randy Pitchford of Gearbox said recently that a lot of publishers and developers tend to shoehorn in multiplayer experiences because they think that's what people want. Do you feel that that's becoming the case in the games industry?

Yes, yes I do. I do think it's sad at times when someone shoehorns in multiplayer in a super-clear single-player game and it comes out bad and becomes more of a back-of-the-box feature. But then again a lot of people do think that "Now that I've finished the single-player game, I want the next step of this experience . I like this world, I like this universe, what more can I do in it?" So from that aspect a good multiplayer in a good game is great, that's something that adds a lot of value. Like you said, if it turns into shoehorning then it's always bad. But we've been building multiplayer for some time so we don't have to shoehorn in multiplayer at least!

But do you have the reverse problem? For example, we've just given Homefront quite a negative review because we thought its single-player was lacking and ill thought out. Because you've been such a multiplayer-focused studio, there's the possibility of the reverse occurring. Is that something that you've learnt to deal with at DICE with recent Battlefields in which you've introduced single-player?

Yeah, I think the reason we wanted to have single-player is not because we're trying to
shoehorn it in, but because we think that the multiplayer experience has so much depth when it comes to how versatile it is, all the strategic elements, all the shooting. It feels like you have this epic core that you could potentially do whatever you wanted with. There is a lot of people in the industry who really love single-player, they only play single-player and they want to build the best first-person single-player game. So we have this game called Battlefield that already has all the tools - the toolbox is huge. So we can pick and choose and create a narrative around that and build what we think is a great single-player. We are getting better and better. Bad Company: not so good, but decent. Bad Company 2: much better. And now we know, we've been building the single-player for some time now.

So would you say it's easier to do the reverse? It's easier to superimpose a single-player onto a multiplayer game rather than superimpose a multiplayer onto a single-player game?

Yeah. I think the challenges are that a single-player game that's very tailored around the narrative in the single-player experience then you might not have balanced systems because you're building it based on that experience. So when you pull it apart and place it in a sandbox environment it's often quite broken. Since we're doing the opposite we [already] have a very balanced toolkit. When we put that into single-player we don't have to do anything. It's more what do we want it to be about, what gadgets, what vehicles, what weapons do we want to use and what story do we want to tell. The whole shooting and driving and flying experience, we already have, so we don't have to create that. We want it to be more or less a tutorial for the multiplayer. So when you play it through you've tried everything out once and you don't feel uncomfortable going into the multiplayer. A lot of people are scared to go online and want a tutorial before they go online. Well, play the single-player, it's a great tutorial. It's the longest tutorial you'll ever play in your life!

DICE's Patrick Bach on Battlefield 3 - Interview - Jolt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mind-blowing Battlefield 3 single-player shown in London

The future. It is here. The first demonstration of Battlefield 3 absolutely BLEW MY TINY MIND. This is going to be one **** of a game about shooting things. Impressions, quotes, new shots.

bf34.jpg

Battlefield 3

It’s running on a PC the size of a large Alsatian, so it’s perhaps not all that surprising that Battlefield 3 looks so much better than any other FPS I’ve ever seen – but it is still extremely impressive. The videos do a pretty good job of showing off the level of detail, but until you see it running, you can’t quite believe it’s possible. But it is, on this hardware anyway: we’ll have to wait and see what DICE can deliver on current consoles.
You’ll have seen the beginning of the demo in the gameplay trailer EA put out at GDC last month. Beginning in an ATV with three other soldiers partaking in typically gruff, sweary, jarhead banter, we emerge into a middle-Eastern city, all dust and traffic and sun on concrete. This part of the game is set on the border between Iran and Iraq, in an imaginary conflict set in 2014.

The squad is sent to a market to investigate the disappearance of another team of marines. Making their way through narrow, dusty, atmospheric alleyways, they eventually come to a car park near the missing team’s former position – at which point a shot rings out and one of the squad falls to the floor. As the demonstrator drags him behind cover by furiously hammering the S key, insurgents start appearing from behind cars and climbing wire fences.

In the ensuing firefight, it’s impossible not to notice Battlefield 3′s startlingly advanced sound design. Guns really sound like guns, the shots echoing differently indoors and out in wide open space. Even the explosions sound detailed.
The latest trailer, showing the bomb, roof-top
sniper and road combat sequences.

An exploding car heralds the presence of two RPG-wielding enemies on a second-floor balcony overlooking the carpark. They’re swiftly despatched with thrown grenades whilst the rest of the squad takes care of targets on the ground, keeping tight behind cover. In a matter of a minute or two, it’s all quiet again, and the demo skips ahead to an underground basement.

Having found an ominous wire leading from upstairs, we’re sent to investigate it alone. Following the wire into a storage area, a tell-tale beeping emanates from somewhere up ahead – our demonstrator turns to find an IED hooked up to two red wires.
After disconnecting one of them, the beeping starts to escalate alarmingly in tempo. Suddenly, someone grabs him from behind. There’s a frantic, close-quarters QTE fist-fight using the mouse buttons as our demonstrator tries to beat the young assailant off and disconnect the other wire, pinning the guy up against the wall, slamming his head against it until he eventually loses consciousness. He yanks the second wire out as the beeping reaches fever pitch.

We skip forward again to the rooftop of the same building, where a sniper fires a shot from a building somewhere off to the right. Going prone, the whole squad creeps across the roof, looking for a good defensive position.

“You don’t want to be one-dimensional, always running and gunning.”
Every five or ten seconds, a sniper shot chips a hole in the low wall, sending bits of rubble bouncing across the rooftop, or hits the ground uncomfortably close to a teammate’s prone body. Eventually, our demonstrator reaches position and fires an RPG at the hotel opposite, under suppressing fire from the other squad members – and practically the whole building blows up, neon sign, balconies and all. “Good effect on target,” says one teammate, which seems a bit of an understatement.

Battlefield 3 already seems to have an excellent feel for the rhythm and tempo of a good single-player shooter, interspersing the chaos and destruction with minutes of quiet tension. Brand manager Kevin O’Leary considers this one of Battlefield’s key differentiators in the single-player campaign.

“In that demo we saw a one-on-one fight, and then outside there can be hundreds of people and vehicles, all-out war,” he says. “But you don’t want to be one-dimensional, always running and gunning. I didn’t fire a bullet for the first five minutes of that demonstration. It’s about highs and lows, so you can really feel the battle.”

The last part of the demo is set out on a wide road, as the squad tries to hold back waves of attackers from a narrow overpass with helicopter support – the noise of gunfire, helicopters and enemy vehicles is overwhelming. There’s a tinkling sound, oddly clear over the cacophony of gunfire – our demonstrator looks up, and sees a shimmering stream of spent bullet cases showering down from the helicopter above.

Battlefield has a long history, but the IP’s major releases began in 2002 with Battlefield 1942. Battlefield 2 released in 2005, to be followed by off-shoot Battlefield: Bad Company in 2008. A second Bad Company game was released in 2010. Check the series’s Wikipedia page for more.

After the road is cleared of enemies, there are a few moments of calm, which predictably doesn’t last long. The demo ends as a massive earthquake ruptures the ground and a huge ripple of cracked tarmac sends the soldier flying from his mounted gun, as building all around begin a slow, inevitable collapse.
The cityscape is an extremely good place to show off the Frostbite 2′s unmatched capabilities when it comes to destruction – it’s easy to see why EA has chosen this level as our first taste of the game, and it whets the appetite for what will happen later in Paris and London. It’s all extremely scripted, of course, but that’s to be expected from a reveal demonstration.
“It is different every time – it may be slight, but you can choose how you do things. I’ve played this like 150 times; it’s always a bit different,” laughs Kevin.
It feels strange that our first look at Battlefield 3 features no vehicles and no multiplayer – the two things upon which the series built its name. But O’Leary assures us that vehicular combat will be a big part of the single-player game.

“It’s Battlefield, they’re always going to be there,” he says.
“Obviously what we just showed didn’t have any driveable vehicles. Jets are back, so there’s most likely going to be jet elements, and we always like to mix it in. You’ve got to have a good mix of infantry and vehicles.”

As for multiplayer, DICE won’t be talking about that until E3, although it has confirmed it’ll feature 64 players on the PC. The beginning of June would be a very good time to keep an ear out for more info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can’t get enough Battlefield 3? Curious what goes on behind the scenes in the making of Battlefield’s next big installment? Starting right now, EA is running a Community Challenge for our fans to push 1 million “likes” on the Battlefield 3 Facebook Page.

The full-length, 12-minute Fault Line trailer will be released to the web on April 17th. Discover the thrilling conclusion to Staff Sgt. Black and team’s foray into enemy territory, and see what it takes to survive in the war torn Middle East. And of course, watch in awe as BF3’s Frostbite 2 engine is displayed in full glory.

If you just can’t wait until then, we’re giving you the chance to get an early look. Upon reaching 1 MM Facebook fans, EA will release the complete Fault Line series for download in striking 1080p, as well as an exclusive version with producer commentary for special insight behind the game.

Tell your friends, tell your family, and help us unlock this amazing video early. Head over now to Facebook now!

zh1nt0 (Community Manager) answers Battlefield 3 questions

While skeptics have doubted DICE’s ability to deliver a Battlefield 3 experience on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that will be close to the PC version, the studio assures everyone that Battlefield 3 will push the current generation of consoles to the absolute limit.

DICE is confident that Battlefield 3 will be the best looking console game to arrive for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this year, according to executive producer Patrick Bach. DICE will prove this fact instead of just talking about it, according to Bach.

One advantage that the Frostbite 2 engine will have in the future is that the engine was designed with the future in mind from every design aspect. That means that graphics, physics, animation, and audio have all been created with the next generation of consoles in mind. It should be no problem to adapt the Frostbite 2 engine to these next platforms when they are finally released.

Still, the PC version will look the best if you have the hardware and graphics card to run it. Sources suggest that maybe only 5% to 7% of the PC players of Battlefield 3 will have the hardware capable of pushing the PC version to the max when Battlefield arrives this fall.

There have been a lot of technical details regarding the new Frostbite 2.0 engine, which powers Battlefield 3. But we’ve never gotten anything concrete, for instance, what is the engine capable of doing when it comes to multiplayer maps? We know the maps made with the previous version of Frostbite (1.5, in Bad Company 2), were somewhat limited and a lot smaller than those found in Battlefield 2. We can now exhale with relief, as DICE’s Patrick Bach has revealed in a recent interview with Norweigan game magazine Gamer, saying that Battlefield 3 will feature the biggest maps DICE has ever made.
“The game is still early in development, but I can tell you that Battlefield 3 will have the largest maps we have ever made”
Bach went on, pointing out that BF3 will support 64 players on PC, and it will be possible to have both jets, helicopters, tanks and infantry combat on a single map.
The more details are revealed, the more excited we get about Battlefield 3, and we’ve yet to have any concrete multiplayer details. For that, expect the big unveiling at E3 in a few months.

DICE: BF3 will have the largest maps we’ve ever made - Battlefield 3

This post is now getting extremely long...

Anyway, another interview.

GeForce.com - Get the Most Out of Your GPU

A newish trailer.

[video=youtube;TfrrAp1blaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfrrAp1blaM&feature=player_embedded[/video]​

The full 12 minutes gameplay video has been released.

[video=youtube;2zw8SmsovJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zw8SmsovJc&feature=youtu.be[/video]​

Last edited:
nice seeing basically all the vids released all together in that 12 min video. The campaign looks very exciting! Still hoping for them to release a multiplayer vid at some point, probs closer to the release date

Finally someone other than me posts :D.

Anyway, I have a feeling we will see some of the multiplayer at E3.

Further details about EA's pre-order package for the Battlefield 3 have leaked courtesy of of French online store Micromania.fr.

EA had already confirmed classic Battlefield 2 weapons, vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements, tropies and more on their own pre-order page.

However we can now confirm more specific details about the Back to Karkand DLC pre-order which will exclusively include:

4 classic maps from Battlefield 2 (including Strike at Karkand, Sharqi Peninsula, Gulf of Oman and Wake Island).
10 classic weapons from Battlefield 2.
4 classic vehicles from Battlefield 2.
4 multiplayer modes per expansion map (12 additional modes total)
10 exclusive trophies and achievements.
10 exclusive dog tags to collect
8 exclusive equipment perks to customise your weapons

The ability to customise Battlefield 3 weapons was a rumour but now certainly seems to be an included feature.

Battlefield 3 Pre-order Details Leaked