Bent's move to Villa angers Bruce

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce criticises Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier in the wake of Darren Bent's £24m move to the Midlands club.

More...

Just a move to prevent any Sunderland fans from blaming him for selling Bent - which I doubt they would, I think £24m is double, if not triple what Bent is really worth...

Take the money and run. They're far better players out there for that price.

I think that's fair enough. All he said was that he was annoyed about Houllier not talking to him.

He has a very hard job in finding a replacement now.

It's not like they haven't made a lot of money.
And everyone says Bent hasn't been playing well recently and they think it's because he was unhappy so why not just be pleased that they've managed to get £18m, possibly £24m for an unhappy off form player?
And accusing Villa of tapping him up without evidence is completely not on either.

So Sunderland accepted the offer without informing Bruce about the decision until afterwards?

Bent isnt doing that well anyway, they will need to bring in a replacement tho seing as Danny Welbeck is out for months...with 18m he could easily find someone better than bent

Bent isnt doing that well anyway, they will need to bring in a replacement tho seing as Danny Welbeck is out for months...with 18m he could easily find someone better than bent

You say that they could sign someone better but who?
There aren't many that are proven to score goals like Bent and Sunderland aren't a hugely continental club, they'd have trouble stealing someone like Suarez when Liverpool are in for him

Just a move to prevent any Sunderland fans from blaming him for selling Bent - which I doubt they would, I think £24m is double, if not triple what Bent is really worth...

You'd be surprised. Bent's Twitter account is completely inundated with abusive messages from Sunderland fans calling him a "Judas" and so on. Interesting, really, considering that part of the reason he moved was because of racial insults being directed as his mother.

He could sign Luis ******* Suarez for 24 million...

Am I the only person who thinks Suarez might just turn out to be Afonso Alves Mk. II?

You'd be surprised. Bent's Twitter account is completely inundated with abusive messages from Sunderland fans calling him a "Judas" and so on. Interesting, really, considering that part of the reason he moved was because of racial insults being directed as his mother.

In The Sun today (great paper I know) that he's received some death threats from Sunderland fans. Really just too much.

Don't think the last part's true. He was an absolute God at Sunderland, and the insult to his mother was ages ago, long forgotten imo.

Don't think the last part's true. He was an absolute God at Sunderland, and the insult to his mother was ages ago, long forgotten imo.

Of course, in your opinion. However, in Bent's opinion is something else entirely. Maybe he's just tired of all the **** he took from all quarters: His own fans as well as opposition ones.

ChippyLowe: Yeup. Petty, bitter, childish and totally uncalled for. Thank goodness he's come to a civilised place: no matter how smelly the SHA lot are, they wouldn't attack the car of one of our players, and vice-versa.

Last edited:
Demba Ba would be a great replacement for him, but they do have Danny Welbeck, Asmoah Gyan and Frazier Campbell. All 3 of them are great player, but to bolster them further I think Demba Ba would be a great signing for them :)

Of course, in your opinion. However, in Bent's opinion is something else entirely. Maybe he's just tired of all the **** he took from all quarters: His own fans as well as opposition ones.

ChippyLowe: Yeup. Petty, bitter, childish and totally uncalled for. Thank goodness he's come to a civilised place: no matter how smelly the SHA lot are, they wouldn't attack the car of one of our players, and vice-versa.

You've got to understand the circumstances. Yes, we aren't the smartest bunch of fans, but when a player that you idolise hand's in a transfer request and leaves almost immediately, showing no respect to the fans or the club, you're bound to be pretty annoyed.

I dont know with some of them, i've known some real right thuggish blues fans lol. Although my friend admitted to me that for the first time ever he's jealous of Villa, not because we signed Darren Bent but because we might sell out all our tickets for a game this weekend :p

Also on the subject of Bent, the club shop are offering to print Bent's name and number to any shirt bought before the end of next month for free, which is nice.