Berwick Rangers: An English Club in Scotland

Not a bad result considering we haven't played any team that's half decent in months!

Cheers mate glad you've enjoyed it! And here you go, the man the myth the legend... currently back up at Championship side Forfar!

View attachment 1170913 View attachment 1170914

Wonderful to see the old legend, at 31 he is obviously in the twighlight of his career; I wonder if he will have decent coaching attributes? - How fitting it would be if you could add him to your backroom staff when he retires!

Mate, Richard must be so disappointed. So close to international duty...

I knew as soon as I started him that he'd get injured... poor bloke!

Wonderful to see the old legend, at 31 he is obviously in the twighlight of his career; I wonder if he will have decent coaching attributes? - How fitting it would be if you could add him to your backroom staff when he retires!

I'd love it if that could happen! Might give him a bumper contract so he can be our 12th choice striker for the next 5 years...

Chelsea Champions League QF First Leg

So a Quarter final against Chelsea was next up for Berwick. What better way to prepare for it than for star striker and leading scorer in the competition Vebjorn Aure to get injured on international duty.

View attachment 44276

Oh, and having to play two games in the space of 3 days beforehand.

View attachment 44275

The game against Celtic was the Thursday after the international break so many of our players had just played 90 minutes on the Tuesday. So it was not exactly if our players were fresh…

With 5 first team players, including Aure, already injured there was no chance I was risking any more injuries. So we basically had to give up our unbeaten season, as well as our momentum, just to have players fit for the Chelsea game.

View attachment 44274

4 debuts were made over those two games. It’s annoying because there’s no way games would be scheduled that close together in real life.

Anyway, Aure wasn’t 100% yet I decided to risk him for the first leg. We were however still without 4 first team players including goalkeeper Chavez.

View attachment 44273

Yet again we made a lightening fast start to the game.

View attachment 44272

It remained 1-0 until half time but these were the match stats. I’ve never known dominance like it.

View attachment 44271

Then after 59 minutes Chelsea were handed a red card… that gave us no excuse not to win the game by at least two goals.

View attachment 44270

We still could not make the breakthrough though and it was looking like it wasn’t our day… until the 77th​ minute.

View attachment 44269

Hector de Anda! Our hero in the Champions League last season came up with the goods again!

And so it finished 2-0 – a fantastic result for the first leg.

View attachment 44268

We utterly dominated that game and should’ve won about 9-0.

View attachment 44267

Our next game in the league against Rangers was a weird one.

View attachment 44266

After going almost all the season unbeaten in the league we’ve now lost two in a row. This time it was thanks to a second half capitulation which saw their uncapped Scottish striker Tom Saric score a hattrick inside 6 minutes.

What made it weirder was the fact that we won the league because of that game.

View attachment 44265

View attachment 44264

Our 6th​ SPL title in a row was confirmed after Hibs drew their league game. 6th​ in a row!

Now it’s time to get to the Champions League semi final!​

The Craziest Game of Football Manager Ever

Prepare yourselves. This is a good one…

Despite not taking their opportunity when given a chance in the first team against Hibs and Rangers, our under 20s managed to beat Championship leaders Dundee United in the Challenge Cup final. I have no idea how – Dundee United have a very good team and all our good young players are out on loan!

View attachment 43998

However this post is about the second leg of our Champions League Quarter Final against Chelsea.

There have been some crazy games in this save… I’ll leave it at that!

We’ve had a fast start in our past 3 or 4 Champions League games and I knew if that was to be the case against Chelsea then we were all but through to the semi final. And that’s just what happened.

View attachment 43997

Our second goal of the game put us 4-0 up on aggregate and confirmed our place in the semi final.

View attachment 43996

In cruise control, and with Chelsea needing 5 goals, the last thing we needed was for them to score 2 goals before half time.

View attachment 43995

Ah okay then. A team talk about complacency was in order at half time.

It didn’t work.

View attachment 43994

Former Berwick loanee Scott Brown put Chelsea ahead and only two goals away from going through. However, like many games in the Champions League this season, we were reliant on our strikers to bail us out. Vebjorn Aure was on hand this time.

View attachment 43993

Right 3-3. It was time to go defensive and not concede anymore.

But this is Berwick

View attachment 43992

Okay that’s annoying.

But it was still 5-4 to us on aggregate and we still had the away goals to give us the advantage.

View attachment 43991

For Christ sake STOP CONCEDING GOALS.

View attachment 43990

Yup that’s right. We were 2-0 up after 11 minutes, 4-0 up on aggregate and yet here we were in the 85th​ minute… LOSING 6-3!!!!!

I honestly could not believe what I was seeing. This was it, the last game I was ever going to play of this stupid, futile save.

I’ve took Berwick from the lowest wage budget in Scottish League Two, to 6 time SPL winners and Champions League finalists only for it to end like this. What a ridiculous way to finish the save…

-

…until we had a corner in the 94th​ minute.

View attachment 43989

Pedro!!!!! Our lord and savior!!!

View attachment 43988

You beautiful, beautiful man Pedro. I mean… you conceded 6 goals in 54 minutes... but that goal made it all worthwhile.

I’m not saying I over celebrated that goal but pyros were set off in the house and I may have ran up and down the street singing “Allez Allez Allez…”

View attachment 43987

View attachment 43986

Amazingly, after all that, we are into the Champions League semi final. We never do it the easy way do we?

Needless to say a defensive tactic is being created immediately.​

The emotional rollercoaster that is football manager summed up right there in one game!

Been following this story for a bit now and have to say, it's incredible! really makes me want to start my own save with a team really low down the leagues and take them to the top, just don't really know which team would make for a very interesting story! great work mate, keep it up and good luck in the CL! :)

The emotional rollercoaster that is football manager summed up right there in one game!

Too right, never got so emotional over a game...

I love how the game reports it as a "second leg hiccup"

Haha I thought that too. Bottling a 4-0 aggregate lead was a slight hiccup I suppose

Been following this story for a bit now and have to say, it's incredible! really makes me want to start my own save with a team really low down the leagues and take them to the top, just don't really know which team would make for a very interesting story! great work mate, keep it up and good luck in the CL! :)

Cheers mate glad you're enjoying it! And you should definitely do it if you're willing to a long save. I've always played the game this way so have got some emotional attachment to a lot of regens over the years... Hopefully the Berwick regens go one better for us this season

Champions League Semi Final Opponents

In the excitement of the last game I forgot to mention who we’ll play in the semi final…

View attachment 43658

We will face Real Madrid… Sean Dyche’s Real Madrid - he’s been there for 6 years!

View attachment 43657

They haven’t won the Champions League yet in this save. The other semi finalists, Man United and PSG, have both won it once since 2017.

View attachment 43656

It looks like Real Madrid have got quite a good squad to say the least. Our highest paid player is on £62,000 a week whereas theirs is on £475,000.

View attachment 43654

We had a 12-day gap between the Chelsea game and our next game against Dundee in the Scottish Cup semi final. Then we had just two days to prepare for the Champions League game so it was a hard decision to make as to what team to put out against Dundee.

View attachment 43653

On a run of one win in five, it was quite important for us to beat Dundee. Thankfully it was a comfortable victory although we again missed out on a clean sheet.

View attachment 43652

We were all set for the first leg of the semi final but then we had some unwanted developments. Firstly, the club captain Sindri Snorrason asked to leave.

View attachment 43650

View attachment 43649 View attachment 43648

I couldn’t really say no as he has been at Berwick ever since we gained promotion to the Premiership. This season has been the first one where he has not been a guaranteed starter and so that may have also prompted his decision to seek a new challenge.

It wasn’t just him though. George Neil also wants to seek a new challenge.

View attachment 43646

View attachment 43645 View attachment 43644

Like with Snorrason, I couldn’t say no. George Neil put Berwick on the map. He is the record goalscorer for both Berwick and Scotland and has been nothing short of senataional for the past 8 seasons. His last appearance could be in the Champions League final… where he’ll obviously come on and score the winner!

But first we have to face Real Madrid, for the first ever time, in the 2032 Champions League semi final. For some reason this game feels as big as the final last season.

View attachment 43643

And all that stands in our way is the Sean Dyche 4-4-2.​

Real Madrid – Champions League Semi Final

You know that moment when you realise that the opening highlight has gone on for too long – that it is showing more than just the kick off?

View attachment 43422

41 seconds. That’s all it took for us to score an away goal against Real Madrid in the semi final of the Champions League. What a start! All we needed now was a clean sheet…

View attachment 43421

We kept a clean sheet for 6 minutes which is actually quite good going for us!

After 9 minutes there was the 6th​ key highlight of game. My heart couldn’t take all of the action, I just wanted a dull game from now on. That was until Hector De Anda was on the ball.

View attachment 43420

After going ahead again it thankfully all calmed down… until the 28th​ minute when a certain Mexican striker was through on goal.

View attachment 43419

A hattrick… inside the first half… at the Bernabeu… in the Champions League semi final. Hector de Anda take a bow.

How could this game get any better?

View attachment 43418

4-1. What am I seeing? You know it’s your day when Real Madrid gift you goals, with Juan Carlos having the simple task of putting away a misplaced back pass to put us 4-1 up at the Bernabeu.

A 3-goal cushion was, of course, too much to ask for though.

View attachment 43417

At 4-2 I wasn’t making the same mistake as we did against Chelsea. I immediately introduced our new, untested defensive tactic.

View attachment 43416

And it turned out okay in the end.

View attachment 43415

View attachment 43414

What a game and what a result! We’re 4-2 up but, as the quarter final against Chelsea taught us, that means nothing.

But anything is possible with Hector de Anda.

View attachment 43413

He got a hattrick against Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter final last year as well as scoring in the final against Man City and now has a hattrick against Real Madrid in the semi final to add to his CV.

With 9 goals and 10 assists in 11 Champions League games this season he is one of the main reasons why were are within touching distance of our second final in two years.

That’s right… Berwick Rangers are on the cusp of a second Champions League final in 2 years!

Champions League Semi Final Second Leg

4-2 up on aggregate and with a habit of conceding goals, lots of goals, the million dollar question for the Real Madrid game was what formation to play.

View attachment 43163 View attachment 43162

We went with the three strikers and went with a control mentality… so of course we scored a goal on the counter attack.

View attachment 43161

Then we had a carbon copy of the most dramatic goal in Berwick’s history with Pedro scoring from a corner.

View attachment 43160

Tell your centre back to attack the near post and tell the corner taker to aim for the near post. It’s a simple game.

Then, even with our ever-present potential to bottlejob games, our place in the final was truly confirmed.

View attachment 43159

3-0! How did Chelsea get so close to knocking us out? This is easy!

View attachment 43158

Am I seeing things?

View attachment 43157

Wow.

I think the choice to go with the more attacking formation was the right one.

I can’t help but think a tired squad and a rigid Sean Dyche 4-4-2 were the reason for Madrid’s downfall.

View attachment 43156

Nevertheless….

Berwick have just beat Real Madrid 5-0 and are into the Champions League final!

View attachment 43155

View attachment 43154

Judging by the stats we deserved to win… and it’s amazing we actually kept a clean sheet!

View attachment 43153

So who will we face in the final?

View attachment 43152

View attachment 43151

Another Champions League final against a team from Manchester. This time we’ll face the red half of Manchester for the Champions League trophy.

The press were already talking about our defeat in the final last season

View attachment 43150

I hope so, I really hope so!​

Champions League Final Preparation

We played 5 more games before the Champions League final, including winning the Scottish Cup final for the third time in a row.

View attachment 42999

View attachment 42998

For each game we rotated adequately so players would be fit for the Champions League final… but of course it didn’t go to plan.

View attachment 42997

Juan Carlos, probably our best player, will be injured for the final. We signed him last summer so he’d be the difference between us winning and losing the final so of course he was injured for it.

View attachment 42996

Then another injury happened.

View attachment 42995

I decided to give Alejandro Alaniz injections so he could play in the final… but his morale is low because he thinks he’ll be injured for it!

View attachment 42994

I wouldn’t have give you an injection otherwise Alejandro mate…

How typical was it for everyone to be fit for the entire season until we got to the Champions League final?

Well the next injury confirmed that the FM gods do not want me to win the final.

View attachment 42993

The day before the final David Herrera gets injured. Of course.

View attachment 42992

Well that’s our 2 best players out injured. Great.

-

Whereas we had won the domestic treble, Man United finished second in the Premier League and were knocked out early in the FA Cup and League Cup.

View attachment 42991

And they have a squad with many world class players, these are just four of them.

View attachment 42990 View attachment 42989

View attachment 42988 View attachment 42987

Here is the depleted Berwick team that will start against them.

View attachment 42986

GK. Carlos Chavez

View attachment 42985

4 clean sheets in 9 Champions League starts.

RB. Alejandro Alaniz

View attachment 42984

His misplaced back pass cost us in the final last season.

CB. Luiz CB. Pedro

View attachment 42983 View attachment 42982

Our first choice centre back pairing for the past 4 years.

LB. Lebogang Mokoena

View attachment 42981

World class but has a habit of not turning up in big games.

CM. Jose Ramon Montero

View attachment 42980

Only player in the side older than 28.

CM – John Florez

View attachment 42979

Played as an inside forward in the final last season. In the team because of Herrera’s injury

CM – Rayane Ludwig

View attachment 42978

First season at Berwick after signing for £27m from Andrelecht

ST – Iain Kelly

View attachment 42977

Deputising for the injured Juan Carlos on the right hand side of the front 3. Was on loan at relegated Hannover last season.

ST – Vebjorn Aure

View attachment 42976

On course to win the golden boot with 14 goals in 12 games.

ST – Hector de Anda

View attachment 42975

The man for the big occasion. 9 goals and 11 assists in 12 Champions League games.

-

The injuries have really annoyed me. We were already underdogs and the fact our 2 best players are out means that Man United are overwhelming favourites.

Surprise me Berwick. Surprise me.​

Hello Darkness My Old Friend

So here we are. The 2032 Champions League Final.

As mentioned in the last post central midfielder John Florez was in the side for our injured world class midfielder David Herrera.

After 90 seconds John Florez gave the ball away and Man Utd ran up the other end and scored..

View attachment 42616

Florez would not be starting if David Herrera had not got injured ONE DAY before the game!

The rest, as they say, was history

View attachment 42615

View attachment 42614

View attachment 42613

View attachment 42612

View attachment 42611

Honestly **** this game.

View attachment 42610

I have never ever known such bullshit. It started with the injuries.

We have next to no injuries then all of a sudden 3 starters get injured in the week leading up to the final – the week, may I add, where we made no changes to the intensity of team training.

Then after one minute, our replacement for the injured player gives the ball away so they score.

And when they scored to make it 2-0 after 3 minutes that was it. There was no way we were coming back from that.

That’s despite the facts that:

We’ve never had a problem scoring against good teams
We’ve never had a problem against a 4-2-3-1,
We’ve signed players that relish big games,
We changed nothing about our tactic that beat Real Madrid 5-0,
We even played with an overpowered 3 up front tactic
I don’t think I have ever lost by 6 goals before in any FM game

We then lose 6-0 in the Champions League final.

Look at the match stats and player ratings. How can we play that badly? The side I had in League Two would've played better than that!

View attachment 42609 View attachment 42608

Pure and utter bullshit.​

Stick 'em all on the transfer list to make a statement!

Such a gutting end to another great season! I hope you'll be staying and trying again next year......I don't think I could walk away after back to back finals, and I hope you don't as I really enjoy following this save!

So here we are. The 2032 Champions League Final.

As mentioned in the last post central midfielder John Florez was in the side for our injured world class midfielder David Herrera.

After 90 seconds John Florez gave the ball away and Man Utd ran up the other end and scored..

View attachment 1172833

Florez would not be starting if David Herrera had not got injured ONE DAY before the game!

The rest, as they say, was history

View attachment 1172834

View attachment 1172835

View attachment 1172836

View attachment 1172837

View attachment 1172838

Honestly **** this game.

View attachment 1172839

I have never ever known such bullshit. It started with the injuries.

We have next to no injuries then all of a sudden 3 starters get injured in the week leading up to the final – the week, may I add, where we made no changes to the intensity of team training.

Then after one minute, our replacement for the injured player gives the ball away so they score.

And when they scored to make it 2-0 after 3 minutes that was it. There was no way we were coming back from that.

That’s despite the facts that:

We’ve never had a problem scoring against good teams
We’ve never had a problem against a 4-2-3-1,
We’ve signed players that relish big games,
We changed nothing about our tactic that beat Real Madrid 5-0,
We even played with an overpowered 3 up front tactic
I don’t think I have ever lost by 6 goals before in any FM game

We then lose 6-0 in the Champions League final.

Look at the match stats and player ratings. How can we play that badly? The side I had in League Two would've played better than that!

View attachment 1172840 View attachment 1172841

Pure and utter bullshit.​

Oh man - I so feel for you. Kudos is also due to you as it would be so easy to save the game beforehand and play it until you won and get the plaudits for the achievement.

Must do better in the joint save though!!! lol

The FM gods had it in for you as soon as the first injury came in but that is something else! ONE MORE YEAR ONE MORE YEAR!

Stick 'em all on the transfer list to make a statement!

Such a gutting end to another great season! I hope you'll be staying and trying again next year......I don't think I could walk away after back to back finals, and I hope you don't as I really enjoy following this save!

Sorry in advance...

Oh man - I so feel for you. Kudos is also due to you as it would be so easy to save the game beforehand and play it until you won and get the plaudits for the achievement.

Must do better in the joint save though!!! lol

Did consider it I won't lie but the result felt like a fitting way for it to end

The FM gods had it in for you as soon as the first injury came in but that is something else! ONE MORE YEAR ONE MORE YEAR!

Yeah I knew it wasn't happening after the injuries, just wished they happened at any other point during the season!

When You Try Your Best But Don't Succeed

View attachment 42415

So, just as I did last season, I’ve had a cry and come to a decision as to what to do next.

Firstly I’ve decided to upload the save incase anybody is interested. (If anyone does happen to play on then PM me with how you get on.)

https://files.fm/u/p3mceqz4#_

But as for this save I’m afraid it’s over. If I have to go through one more season of easily beating teams in Scotland and then losing in the Champions League final then I would actually go insane. My manager Hampus Silverholt (named after a Swedish regen on FM16) will be leaving Berwick, fining as many players as possible for a poor performance in that horrific final.

This won’t be the last post, I think I’m going to do some sort of mini recap of the save and reminisce of the times when we used to get thrashed by Raith in the League One playoffs rather than Man United in the Champions League Final.

I did consider carrying on but I’m just not interested in doing so. I believe that the only reason the story has gone on for so long and got 100,000+ views is because I’ve thoroughly enjoyed playing it. I don’t want to carry on playing a save I’d be bored with and have no motivation for just for the sake of this thread, hope you understand.

It’s been a blast but I’m afraid the Champions League has eluded me. If luck was on my side then I think it would’ve been a different story.​