Best and Worst signing this season.

Its just my opinion. He has not shown anything that constitutes his previous form in his career. People have stated Aquilani but he was injured for the most of the season and is still adjusting to the premier league. Just because its a high transfer does not mean he will be a failure. He has been unlucky this year. Example is Pav at Spurs. Look at him now. Aquilani will be the same and once he knuckles down he will be a success. Where as Owen has the experience of Prem Football and to me has not shown his class.

Apart from a hattrick against Wolfsburg.. a winner against Man City..

When he has played he has looked alright.

Again its just my own personal opinion that for a player of Owens quality he has not shown his best this year in a United shirt.

Your saying it doesn't matter about the transfer fee paid, but of course it has some degree to how successful the signing is. If you pay 20 million and they are on 80 grand a week you would expect much more from someone who was free and is on a relatively low wage.

Maxi Rodriguez looks championship level these days.

Your saying it doesn't matter about the transfer fee paid, but of course it has some degree to how successful the signing is. If you pay 20 million and they are on 80 grand a week you would expect much more from someone who was free and is on a relatively low wage.

When Spurs paid out the money for Pav and he was not up to the job at first and everyone was saying what a waste. Are they saying that now. No. Same thing for Aquilani if he knuckles down and liverpool do start improving then it wont be a waste of money. Owen has been given a chance at the top club in the country on a free and for someone who has the quality of players around him and having premier league experience under his belt he should of done much better regardless of the fee and how much he is on. As I said its my opinion on a forum and thats all it is.

Personally I've always said how good Pav is. It just took the mong way too long to realize.

quite surprised no-ones mentioned vermaelen yet 10 mil for one of the best defenders this season scored a few goals aswell, i think valencia's a close second though

When Spurs paid out the money for Pav and he was not up to the job at first and everyone was saying what a waste. Are they saying that now. No. Same thing for Aquilani if he knuckles down and liverpool do start improving then it wont be a waste of money. Owen has been given a chance at the top club in the country on a free and for someone who has the quality of players around him and having premier league experience under his belt he should of done much better regardless of the fee and how much he is on. As I said its my opinion on a forum and thats all it is.
even by that theory, aquilani has 7 league games left of the season to improve and make up for his poor season. now unless he has an amazing end to the season, which given his current form, isnt going to happen, he'll still arguably be one of the worse signings this season. in all honesty these is on real way you can argue that he was a better signing that owen (though what was SAF thinking when he gave him the number 7 shirt?!)

Best: Richard Dunne, Niko Kranjcar

Worst: Aquilani, Michel Salgado (got skinned by Ash Young at Villa)

even by that theory, aquilani has 7 league games left of the season to improve and make up for his poor season. now unless he has an amazing end to the season, which given his current form, isnt going to happen, he'll still arguably be one of the worse signings this season. in all honesty these is on real way you can argue that he was a better signing that owen (though what was SAF thinking when he gave him the number 7 shirt?!)

I can see where you are coming from but the difference to me is that Aquilani has been playing in an underpar team from recent seasons where Owen has been playing at a club that has more quality about them and been in the top two positions of the premier league all season.

Anyway I have explained why I thought Owen has been the worst signing for me personally, given my reasons as well.

Last edited:
Jason Scotland is the worse.
Maxi Rodriguez looks **** n'all.
Leon Best is wank.
-----

Good:
Antonio Valencia
Kevin Doyle :wub:

I can see where you are coming from but the difference to me is that Aquilani has been playing in an underpar team from recent seasons where Owen has been playing at a club that has more quality about them and been in the top two positions of the premier league all season.

I completely understand what you mean about Owen and Aquilani. But looking at it I have to disagree with you. Owen has been third choice striker this season, been struck down by numerous injuries (nothing unusual about that) and yet has still scored I think it is 8 goals this season. Aquilani was injured for the first 3 months or so but since then has been fit apart from the odd niggle. He's struggled to get in to a struggling side and until he "knuckles down" he will be classed as a £20M flop, alot like Nani was until a bit earlier on in the season. I understand your opinion though, and I can see where you're coming from 100%, but in my opinion Owen has been fairly decent especially seeing as we got him on a free.

I completely understand what you mean about Owen and Aquilani. But looking at it I have to disagree with you. Owen has been third choice striker this season, been struck down by numerous injuries (nothing unusual about that) and yet has still scored I think it is 8 goals this season. Aquilani was injured for the first 3 months or so but since then has been fit apart from the odd niggle. He's struggled to get in to a struggling side and until he "knuckles down" he will be classed as a £20M flop, alot like Nani was until a bit earlier on in the season. I understand your opinion though, and I can see where you're coming from 100%, but in my opinion Owen has been fairly decent especially seeing as we got him on a free.

Thats fair enough. We agree to disagree lol.

In hindsight Rafa should not have paid 20m for someone that was injured for 6 months or how ever long it was, I think though, next season he will be a quality player, he just isn't all that confident at the moment after his injury, but he defiantly has potential.

Worst value for money signing: Lescott (but why would City care? They're stupidly rick)
Best value for money signing: Kranjcar, played amazing so far, and he hardly cost us any money, but Portsmouth weren't ripped off, because he was coming to the end of his contract and he stated that he wouldn't be signing for them again, so would have just been released on a free

Anyway I have explained why I thought Owen has been the worst signing for me personally, given my reasons as well.
If you look when and where Owen has scored they have been in important games...The Manchester Derby...Carling Cup Final so he hasn't been bad when he has been fit.

Going to have to go with Lescott, £20m and although I know he has been injured - he didn't play welll when he was in the team. After all that during the summer with Man City and Everton, him crying and then playing disgracefully a couple of times before being dropped I'd of expected him to up his game when he got his move but from what I saw, he was poor.

Best signing has to be Bent. Think people had given up on him but I think now if he isn't in the World Cup Squad then something isn't quite right.

Krancjar for Spurs is another one who I think has impressed since moving?

EDIT. Just seen Jammin Spurs' post...looks like we agree.

I'm not saying Aqualani is not a good signing, just saying that Michael Owen is definitely not the worst signing considering his wages and cost.

Heitinga has proved to be a good signing for Everton this season, I'd say our best signing. Overall though it's gotta be Bent or even Joe Hart for Birmingham even though on loan. Richard Dunne deserves a mention as well

Worst has to be Lescott.

Hart on loan from Brum was pretty good...and, of course, vermalen and valencia have been outstanding....and Adam Johnson for city was a great signing....
Worst has to be any city signing, apart from johnson and tevez....Lescott prob worst...he is no where near worst the £20m or whatever they payed....he wouldn't even be worth £5m.....
Aquliani isn't that bad of a signing...next season he will be amazing....he's a quality player, he just hasn't had a chance yet...

Back