Best English Servant since 2000, once and for all you decide!

• Thread starter Thread starter gates4000
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 3K

Best English Servant since 2000

• David Beckham

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Ashley Cole

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Paul Scholes

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Emile Heskey ;)

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • David Seaman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rio Ferdinand

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Micheal Owen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Special mention goes to Paul Scholes for accepting being shoved around the midfield in order to accommodate less talented midfielders.

EDIT: Sol Campbell + Jamie Carragher. Former for being awesome, latter for same reason as Scholes.

EDIT2: David James. Same reasons as Heskey.

Last edited:
Special mention goes to Paul Scholes for accepting being shoved around the midfield in order to accommodate less talented midfielders.

Speaking of whom:

Paul Scholes: Selfish players put personal glory above England
• Midfielder quit international football after becoming fed up
• 'Most English players are too selfish,' says Scholes

Paul Scholes: Selfish players put personal glory above England | Football | guardian.co.uk

Paul Scholes has accused "very selfish" players of ruining England's international chances by putting their own careers ahead of the national team.

Scholes quit the England set-up in 2004 aged just 29 and revealed: "I just got fed up. When you are going to a team, you want to be part of a team and play well, but there are individuals who are after personal glory.

"When there is a simple pass of 10 yards, they might try and smack it 80 yards. They will do things to try and get themselves noticed."

He went on: "I always felt players at clubs like your Aston Villas try to use England as a way to get to a top club. Which, I don't know, you feel, 'Are they there for the right reason?' I think they are very selfish people.

"That is the biggest problem with English players – most of them are too selfish."

The former Manchester United midfielder, who retired at the end of last season, also denied that being played out of position had been behind his decision to make himself unavailable for Sven-Goran Eriksson's England squad.

"Playing on the left was never a problem. I played on the left for United I don't know how many times. I probably had my most successful time scoring goals in that position so it was never a problem."

Scholes insisted that teamwork was the key to success at international level. "If you look at the Spain team now, they all seem to play for each other," he said. "There isn't one of them who would try to do something in a game that doesn't suit the team and the way they play. And that could happen over here."

Mmm, saw that. Reckon that's a sly dig at Barry, Milner and Young. Astute man is Scholesy. Way too good for England.

I was thinking Gerrard myself, at least when Scholes was playing

I was thinking Gerrard myself, at least when Scholes was playing

Certainly the bit on 80-yard passes, that was a bit of a Gerrard trait in his early days. Even now, in fact.

Best English servant, not most well-behaved or named most like a disease. ;)

To be honest I wish Heskey hadn't have served England for the past decade, you can go on about the ridicule he played through and kept it professional but come on...Half the ridicule is justified, the guy is/was never going to win England a World Cup lets face it...

Its like the the U-21 Euro's and the English optimism on SSN/the country, compare team sheets and Spain's was a **** of alot better...Fielding-De Gea comparison for one, clearly the 2nd division English GK was not ever going to win us a Euro tournament facts be the facts.

If I had to say two best English servants over the decade I would say Ashley Cole/Beckham...

Cole should be 2nd in this one without a doubt, the guy has barely missed a game the past 5 years and has 90+ caps to show for it and 90 pct of the time done a smashing job for England...

But Heskey?
Like I said I really didn't know LSD was so popular in this country because you're all on something if your voting for him

To be honest I wish Heskey hadn't have served England for the past decade, you can go on about the ridicule he played through and kept it professional but come on...Half the ridicule is justified, the guy is/was never going to win England a World Cup lets face it...

Its like the the U-21 Euro's and the English optimism on SSN/the country, compare team sheets and Spain's was a **** of alot better...Fielding-De Gea comparison for one, clearly the 2nd division English GK was not ever going to win us a Euro tournament facts be the facts.

If I had to say two best English servants over the decade I would say Ashley Cole/Beckham...

Cole should be 2nd in this one without a doubt, the guy has barely missed a game the past 5 years and has 90+ caps to show for it and 90 pct of the time done a smashing job for England...

But Heskey?
Like I said I really didn't know LSD was so popular in this country because you're all on something if your voting for him

Nt his fault he was picked, but he always gave 100% and never shirked anything, despite all the ridicule. He wasnt the most talented, but he got the best out of his partners, and if our more talented players had half his professionalism and determination and selflesness, we would not be as dire as we are now

I voted Heskey because his lack of natural talent he always does his best. Never complains when he doesnt play, he just gets on with it and works harder to impress. Fair enough he never set the world alight but you cant doubt he put his 100% in every game. Becks would be a close second. Gerrard/Lampard are great players but never realy got into gear internationally. Owen is also a good shout only for his recent injury record and decline

Still lads I get why you picked him...

I suppose this isn't ''Best English Player Since 2000''...

But still could never vote Heskey for anything, still can not believe/forgive him for missing so many chances...

One of my true pet hates is at the SA WC2010 when everyone said we could win the World Cup...

Seriously? With Heskey playing ST we would never win the WC, compare him to Torres/Villa at Spain there's no comparison but yeah I did admit I know your reasons for making him 'best English servant' but I hold grudges and Heskey has made me scream ''how did you miss that!'' too many times over the years for me to easily forgive him.

I should point out I am a pessimist and also very Anti-England because they want to pull excuses every game, ''we are tired'' or ''we tried our best'' clearly the problems at England aren't just tiredness or not enough young players/energy. Problems are so deep rooted, Capello's coaching staff are world class and all speak English (his staff are good..not him) but there is fundamental problems with English style/coaching/players temperament that no one is addressing...But that's for another thread. :@

But yeah, I do understand why people have gone for Heskey but 5 votes for Ashley Cole is harsh on him...He's always stepped up for the past 10 years and has got 90+ caps so he should be higher than where he is.

#rantover

Think I'll start supporting Slovenia.

Still lads I get why you picked him...

I suppose this isn't ''Best English Player Since 2000''...

But still could never vote Heskey for anything, still can not believe/forgive him for missing so many chances...

One of my true pet hates is at the SA WC2010 when everyone said we could win the World Cup...

Seriously? With Heskey playing ST we would never win the WC, compare him to Torres/Villa at Spain there's no comparison but yeah I did admit I know your reasons for making him 'best English servant' but I hold grudges and Heskey has made me scream ''how did you miss that!'' too many times over the years for me to easily forgive him.

I should point out I am a pessimist and also very Anti-England because they want to pull excuses every game, ''we are tired'' or ''we tried our best'' clearly the problems at England aren't just tiredness or not enough young players/energy. Problems are so deep rooted, Capello's coaching staff are world class and all speak English (his staff are good..not him) but there is fundamental problems with English style/coaching/players temperament that no one is addressing...But that's for another thread. :@

But yeah, I do understand why people have gone for Heskey but 5 votes for Ashley Cole is harsh on him...He's always stepped up for the past 10 years and has got 90+ caps so he should be higher than where he is.

#rantover

Think I'll start supporting Slovenia.

if it wasnt for the fact i need sleep i could argue forever about the flaws in the england game, there are so many

Without a doubt Beckham. He's truly a modern day ambassador for not only English football, but professional football itself. Such an amazing and dedicated role model.

I'm probably going to shed a tear when he retires as a footballer.

Fowler and Seaman! Had to check whether the former has even really done anything forr England since 2000 (the answer was yes, but only for a couple of years, and mostly only in friendlies), and the latter is far more worthy of recognition, but not in that period. Beckham for me, I've always thought Beckham the celeb has caused people to be far more critical of Beckham the footballer than he deserves. He's far more committed to his profession than most of his generation.

Beckham is too much in football for the 'glamour' in my opinion, and is not that loyal (he joined Real for the money). He is one of the most famous footballers, but not one of the best. However, I cannot doubt that he has been great for England, he's been a great role model and has always respected the manager.

I vote Peter Crouch (who's not on the list) purely because despite his fantastic goal record for England (22 goals in 42 appearances) he was never given a chance to break into the first team, but has never complained or moaned. An outstanding professional and a great player, who made his debut as early as 2005.

This is for the best servant, not the best England player or the player who contributed the most.

Jimmer. Go look up Stéphane Guivarc'h. Then tell me that strikers like Heskey never win World Cups.

Jimmer. Go look up Stéphane Guivarc'h. Then tell me that strikers like Heskey never win World Cups.

I've just been checking him on wikipedia, it says he scored 1 goal for the national team.

I'm now looking on youtube to maybe find that goal, but it's like looking for guns in cows

I see where your coming from but Heskey never scored 20+ goals in any domestic season has he? oO)

It's like David James, a 40 year old GK who plays for a relegated team would never win England a WC at the age he was at, and Rob Green was even worse, he conceded like 70+ goals that season before SA and he gets to be England number one?

Were never going to win a WC with either of them in the net in 2010.

I see where your coming from but Heskey never scored 20+ goals in any domestic season has he? oO)

No, but he has scored more goals in his entire career so far than Guivarc'h did in his.

*International goals right?

Domestically that guy had some crazy stats, I'm talking domestic-International comparison on players...

Plus that guy did play a role at '98 WC, what's Heskeys role?

Hit him on the head/chest and play off him?

Would love to see some assist stats because I don't think Heskey has had to many, you can't tell me watching an England game you never have shouted abuse at Heskey after he misses/skies a sitter?

*International goals right?

Domestically that guy had some crazy stats, I'm talking domestic-International comparison on players...

Plus that guy did play a role at '98 WC, what's Heskeys role?

Hit him on the head/chest and play off him?

Would love to see some assist stats because I don't think Heskey has had to many, you can't tell me watching an England game you never have shouted abuse at Heskey after he misses/skies a sitter?

How else do you stay entertained watching England?

Back