Best English Servant since 2000, once and for all you decide!

• Thread starter Thread starter gates4000
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 49
  • Views Views 3K

Best English Servant since 2000

• David Beckham

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Ashley Cole

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Paul Scholes

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Robbie Fowler

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Emile Heskey ;)

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • David Seaman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rio Ferdinand

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Micheal Owen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Beckham's been the one player in my opinion who's always shown national pride, no matter where he's been or any other sort of stance he's in.. he'll always put England first. I have nothing but respect for that man.

^ Sad but very true.

Linesmen in England games have to be awake, they have their arms waving those flags like a Davin Mccall fitness DVD...

Never gets mentioned but in England games the amount of throw ins that disrupt the play is astoundingly high...

Alan Shearer???:P

Gerrard, just ahead of Beckham, as Gerrard has played more in the 2000s.

He's also played in over twice as many games and scored 3 more. :P

Go away Joel'. :P

*International goals right?

Domestically that guy had some crazy stats, I'm talking domestic-International comparison on players...

Plus that guy did play a role at '98 WC, what's Heskeys role?

Hit him on the head/chest and play off him?

I'm guessing you don't know anything about Guivarc'h, then, because his role was like Heskey's. Lay it off to others around him, open space for strikers and midfielders, lead the line, disrupt the defence with strength, win the ball in the air.

I hate discussing Heskey, because nobody ever admits he could be good at anything. They're all too busy going "HURR HESKEY ****" like a bunch of particularly stupid sheep to realise that actually, yes, there's a reason why he's racked up around 24 mil in transfer fees over his career and yes, there's a reason why he had an England career that spanned over a decade and under many managers. As such, I made this thread long ago. Go see the comments and the poll.

Would love to see some assist stats because I don't think Heskey has had to many, you can't tell me watching an England game you never have shouted abuse at Heskey after he misses/skies a sitter?

Of course not. How petty do you have to be to shout abuse at a player? He's not good at finishing, alright, we get it.

I'm guessing you don't know anything about Guivarc'h, then, because his role was like Heskey's. Lay it off to others around him, open space for strikers and midfielders, lead the line, disrupt the defence with strength, win the ball in the air.

Exactly. He flopped at Newcastle because Gullitt cam in and dropped him, and sold him 4 months after he signed. So technically he didn't flop, he wasn't given a chance. Heskey is good at what he does. Nowhere near the player he was at Leicester/Liverpool, but a useful player to have nonetheless.

???
I said Guivarc'h played/had his role...

Don't get all high and mighty on the Heskey is amazing pedestal because he's not, great term used to describe Heskey's career:

On his day the best striker in the world...He just hasn't had too many of those days

Terrible technically playing for England and the majority of the country if they are being honest would say he was never going to win England a WC...

Carroll>Heskey has ever been.

Subjective issue with you obviously but I don't think if your being honest you believe Heskey was ever going to win England a World Cup...

Heskey has done alot more terrible things over his career than good, he was top notch at Wigan but Internationally he has never done much that actually has helped England.

Not going to go down as a legend...Not a legend in the definition of being a true great of the game but he's pretty legendary for being...Heskey.

Go away Joel'. :P

I hate discussing Heskey, because nobody ever admits he could be good at anything. They're all too busy going "HURR HESKEY ****" like a bunch of particularly stupid sheep to realise that actually, yes, there's a reason why he's racked up around 24 mil in transfer fees over his career and yes, there's a reason why he had an England career that spanned over a decade and under many managers. As such, I made this thread long ago. Go see the comments and the poll.

Of course not. How petty do you have to be to shout abuse at a player? He's not good at finishing, alright, we get it.

Heskey was the only player from Aston Villa I could have scored a goal with in PES 11, and in FIFA 11 (Master League in PES, Manager Mode in FIFA)

But after some time I got the hang of it in FIFA with Downing/Young/Bradley/Makoun/Agbonlahor, while in PES not really xD

currently everyone but seaman and owen have votes, seaman i understand but owen was quality up till 2006/7 that was a big suprise

???
I said Guivarc'h played/had his role...

You said he played 'a role', like Heskey can.

Don't get all high and mighty on the Heskey is amazing pedestal because he's not, great term used to describe Heskey's career:

Didn't say he was amazing. I said he could do a job if needed, which he could and can.

Terrible technically playing for England and the majority of the country if they are being honest would say he was never going to win England a WC...

How can you tell? Guivarc'h did it with France. Brazil, though their 1982 World Cup campaign failed, were rightly hailed as a brilliant team. Serginho, a Heskeylike figure, was brilliant for them. He was a foil for their more talented forwards, but like Heskey got scapegoated when the team failed. It is the eternal problem of hard-working centre-forwards, that they always get criticised for a brilliant performance.

Carroll>Heskey has ever been.

And?

Subjective issue with you obviously but I don't think if your being honest you believe Heskey was ever going to win England a World Cup...

He had as good a chance as any. I doubt he was going to win England a world cup single-handedly, but I also doubt he would've hindered our progress to the point we wouldn't have won it.

Heskey has done alot more terrible things over his career than good, he was top notch at Wigan but Internationally he has never done much that actually has helped England.

Short-sighted view, though I'm not surprised. The grand majority of people say that, because they just don't understand the impact he makes. A whole procession of people, from Owen to Rooney to even Bent nowadays, claim he's the best in the world at opening space for them and making it easier for them to score.

This is, of course, ridiculously off-topic. Point is, he was a wonderful servant for England. Maybe in the future we can use the thread I linked to for discussing Emile, hm?

Not only do I admire Heskey, but he strikes me as the sort of guy who'd quite happily chat away to the fans, or have a pint with in the pub.

Should be a Heskey appreciation thread just to **** off the haters. Leave the guy alone. He was picked for a reason. To cause disruption and open up gaps. He may not have been a goal scoring threat, but he did what he was supposed to quietly and efficiently-got his head down and worked his socks off.

Back