Best film of all time? Discussion thread

Steve*

Y.N.W.A.
Reaction score
This is similar to the Movies you've seen thread but im asking people to post the best film they have EVER seen.

Posting Rules(new):
1. Please leave a brief description of the story, how good the acting was and if possible leave a link of a preview.
2. Please limit your suggestions from recent films as they havnt stood the test of time.
3. One suggestion per post.
4. Explain why its the best film you have seen
5. Use proper use of grammar and punctuation where possible.

I will give my opinion after somebody else posts as i dont want it stuck in the OP.

Apologies if there is a thread on this already, too lazy to look and havnt seen one recently :)

Last edited:
Schindler's List, without doubt. Why ? Watch it :D

Nightwatch (Danish)
Session 9
Digimon
Juno
Wayne's World
The 'Burbs

Can't shorten it =P

Edit-I know it says one suggestion per post , but i don't want to spam it up.

Personally my favourite is The Godfather.(1972)

The story begins as "Don" Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia "family", oversees his daughter's wedding. His beloved son Michael has just come home from the war, but does not intend to become part of his father's business. Through Michael's life the nature of the family business becomes clear. The business of the family is just like the head of the family, kind and benevolent to those who give respect, but given to ruthless violence whenever anything stands against the good of the family. Don Vito lives his life in the way of the old country, but times are changing and some don't want to follow the old ways and look out for community and "family". An up and coming rival of the Corleone family wants to start selling drugs in New York, and needs the Don's influence to further his plan. The clash of the Don's fading old world values and the new ways will demand a terrible price, especially from Michael, all for the sake of the family.

Click here for Preview

For me its the best film ever due to the high quality acting and the brilliance of Director FFC. :)

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Nightwatch (Danish)
Session 9
Digimon
Juno
Wayne's World
The 'Burbs

Can't shorten it =P

Try explain them a bit in more detail mate...

Last edited:
I know this seems a little silly, but in my opinion Rat Race is one of the best films I've ever watched. Its generally a laugh of minute and a great mix of characters.

Hey guys,try leave more of a description when posting a film and posssibly a clip like i did.

To keep things started heres my second favourite pick:

Never Back Down(2008)

At his new high school, a rebellious teen Jake Tyler is lured into an ultimate underground fighting club in a Backyard Fight, where he finds a mentor in a mixed martial arts veteran. After receiving threats to the safety of his friends and family, Jake seeks the mentoring of a veteran fighter, to train his mind and body for one final no-holds-barred elimination fight with his unrelenting personal nemesis and local martial arts champion Ryan McCarthy.

YouTube - ‪Never Back Down - Movie Trailer‬‏

What makes it one of my favourites is the fact its an underdog story and it has some amazing fight sequences.​

Last edited:
Nightwatch (Danish)
Session 9
Digimon
Juno
Wayne's World
The 'Burbs

Can't shorten it =P

Okaaay then.
Nightwatch was recommended by Chaz, it was brilliant. Great horror/mystery cross-over, an American remake was made (Typically) and it was bullshit, but still people don't realise how great the original is. Had me scared at parts.
Session 9, it has DAVE FREAKING CARUSO in it. Nah, but great film, slow paced psych horror film, really, good. Recommend to all looking for a good horror film. In a mental asylum ridding of asbestos, **** goes down.
Digimon, not only reminds me of my childhood, but it's actually a very, very good film. Emotional, funny, and simply great and a great soundtrack to go with it.
Juno, my womanly film coming out, it's so cute :3.
Waynes World, utterly hilarious. Mike Myers is brilliant.
The 'Burbs, watched it when i was like 5, forgot about it then watched it the other year. funny as heck film, Tom Hanks and Carrie Fisher.

Ok, here's trailer :)
[video=youtube;W74jGQ-CDTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74jGQ-CDTE[/video]
@Ride... Good reason, I didn't see it, but my pal told me once he enjoyed watching it for exactly the same reason. Thats why I asked you :)

@Vanjagl. I agree its a cracking film,it is up there among the greats. Have it on Dvd but havnt looked at it recently.

Personally my two favourite films are Scarface and The shawshank redemption. I think they are both amazing films that I could watch time and time again.

Pulp Fiction. "Mmm, this is a tasty burger!", "Aww I shot Marvin in the face."

Fight Club. (L)

Scarface - Say hello to my little friend!

Fight Club is probably my favourite, it's simply ingenius and only gets better each time you watch it. Pulp Fiction comes second because of Tarantino's brilliant writing, and then Scarface, just because.

@Vanjagl. I agree its a cracking film,it is up there among the greats. Have it on Dvd but havnt looked at it recently.

I have it on DVD and VHS :p Also havnt looked at it for ages :( But, I'm going to change that tomorrow :) And now, im going to watch "Nightwatch". Heh :D

The Star Wars Trilogy to be honest (original), simply because, special effects combined with the plot, will always stand up, and a happy ending never always happened. And for it's time, it was incredible to watch. Who can forgot the sounds of TIE fighters, or the mechanical sounds of the AT-AT's and AT-ST's? Or the awesomeness that was Peter Cushing as Moff Tarkin in A New Hope?

YouTube - ‪Hoth Snow Battle Star Wars Episoe V The Empire Strikes Back‬‏

Yes it was the cliche good versus evil, but with the special effects, the great music...it was a great sci-fi adventure, and I've never grown bored of it. It still gives me goosebumps when I hear the Imperial March music, or when I watch the Battle for Hoth. Will always be a bench mark in Sci Fi Space Battle films for me. So I'm going for The Empire Strikes Back. Because it also felt very dark and gothic aswell.

And yes I've always rooted for the Empire. Because I'm a nasty piece of work (6)

@ajt09: Loved the originals too,the prequels never lived up to the high standards. This is off topic but does anybody know if you can get all 6 in a box set? Seen them all individually but dont own any of them yet. BTW i think most of us liked the Empire(coz Vader was cool :) )

@ajt09: Loved the originals too,the prequels never lived up to the high standards. This is off topic but does anybody know if you can get all 6 in a box set? Seen them all individually but dont own any of them yet. BTW i think most of us liked the Empire(coz Vader was cool :) )

Yup-Vader to me, was my absolute hero (and I did cry when I was a kid when he died in Jedi lol). And the Empire had fantastic firepower-there is no-one who can deny, there is nothing better than flying a tie interceptor in Battlefront 2 lol.
Re: 6 in box set. Not sure. I've always seen them in individual 3 film box sets. Prequels and the originals. Prequels won't touch-except Revenge of the Sith. For obvious reasons (pwning of Jedi Temple lol). But not sure tbh

LOTR Trilogy - Easily the best films ever IMO.
Zodiac - What a film!
The Social Network - I though I would hate it because I thought it was basically going to be a load of college students constantly updating their status, but it was the complete opposite and a terrific film.
Man on Fire - Extremely underrated film IMO if you haven't watched it then do!
The Book of Eli - Another film with Denzel Washington - what an actor he is.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Great story and a great film (you may have noticed that I like David Fincher films lol).

Some other great films which aren't quite up there: Hotel Rwanda, Inception, Gran Torino and The Pianist. I've probably missed out a few that I think are some of the best all time films, but I can't remember them all ATM.

I know it said film and not films, but for me nothing is better than LOTR, but other than them there isn't much between the others.

Ok im going to post the rules again as people are ignoring them. Also try use a similar layout as the 2 i have suggested.
1. Please leave a brief description of the story, how good the acting was and if possible leave a link of a preview.
2. Please limit your suggestions from recent films as they havnt stood the test of time.
3. One suggestion per post.
4. Explain why its the best film you have seen
5. Use proper use of grammar and punctuation where possible.

Last edited:
You went from The Godfather to Never Back Down? Seriously?

Zodiac
The Social Network
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button(you may have noticed that I like David Fincher films lol).

Who doesn't? I've just finished watching The Game. :wub:

You went from The Godfather to Never Back Down? Seriously?

Yeah i have a weird taste in movies. Both are so different but utterly brilliant. (in my opinion,even though other people will differ)

What would your suggestion be Lee?