Best of British... Making A Mark In South East England!

BallyC7

Reaction score
Best of British... Making A Mark In South East England!

For all of you that have followed me on here, I've not been writing stories for long. I did a journeyman story towards the end of FM17 and I have a running journeyman save on FM18, to which there is an accompanying story. Now I've not updated that for a few days and there's a reason for that....unfortunately my laptop was dropped and has broken (not football manager related I promise). So my previous game has been lost....But I am back in the game with a new PC and before I kick off a new save on FM18 I got to thinking about my previous save - that story had me jumping from one meaningless job to another around Europe with no real end goal...obviously yes to win things, but I never actually set out to achieve anything specific at the start....

I follow a number of other people's stories on here and a lot of them are on a quest.... from DerbyJack's where he aims to become the highest earning manager in the world, to StoneCold's aim of going through a career only managing teams he has managed/written stories about from previous games in the series.

So I asked myself, what challenge can I set myself and that's when I came up with it - a double challenge story...

Challenge Number 1

I want to become the best British manager in the game's history. Using FM's points system for winning trophies, they have ranked the best managers throughout history based on the competitions they've won! I am going to attempt to emulate and surpass them all during this save, and we'll be specifically looking to beat the top managers from England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland (although at present Wales and N.Ireland don't have anyone in the top 10 on the game).

Challenge Number 2

I was recently presented with an opportunity to relocate for work and decided not to take it as I wanted to stay living where I am, being settled and pretty happy with a Mrs and a couple of kids. I thought about implementing this into my football manager save, and based on that, I will only manage teams throughout my career that are commutable from my current home address in Tunbridge Wells, Kent....that's predominantly going to be focused on London and the South East (story title explained). Now me personally, I class commutable as anything within 40 miles....Anything beyond that and I'm not interested.

View attachment 75390

The Manager

There is a common theme in the top 10 British managers that they are all ex professional footballers...therefore I will be starting my career with professional football experience at a regional level, and mid way through the professional qualifications with a Continental C License to my name. This should give me a pretty accurate start to my management career as the legends whose footsteps I will hopefully be following in!

Next Update.....We will have a look at the top 10 British managers I'm chasing down and trying to overtake in the record books

Last edited:
Best of British

The Best of the Best...

So here they are...the top 10 British managers on FM18. These are the guys I currently look up to with admiration and respect as I embark on my football management career. These are the guys that one by one I intend to pick off in the pecking order as I rise to the top of this list cementing my name in history! Well, that's the plan anyway...

Number 1 - Alex Ferguson - Scottish
FM Points - 4947

St Mirren - 1 Scottish Championship
Aberdeen - 3 Scottish Premierships, 4 Scottish Cups, 1 Scottish League Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 Cup Winners Cup
Manchester United - 1 Intercontinental Cup, 2 Champions Leagues, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 Cup Winners Cup, 4 English League Cups, 1 FIFA World Club Cup, 13 English Premier Leagues, 10 Community Shields, 5 FA Cups

Number 2 - Bob Paisley - English
FM Points - 2601

Liverpool - 6 English Premier Leagues, 3 Champions Leagues, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 Europa League, 3 English League Cups, 6 Community Shields

Number 3 - Willie Maley - Scottish
FM Points - 2100

Celtic - 16 Scottish Premierships, 14 Scottish Cups

Number 4 - Bill Struth - Scottish
FM Points - 1960

Rangers - 18 Scottish Premierships, 10 Scottish Cups

Number 5 - Jock Stein - Scottish
FM Points - 1900

Dunfermline Athletic - 1 Scottish Cup
Celtic - 10 Scottish Premierships 1 Champions League, 8 Scottish Cups, 6 Scottish League Cups

Number 6 - George Ramsay - Scottish
FM Points - 1572

Aston Villa - 6 English Premier Leagues, 6 FA Cups

Number 7 - Brian Clough - English
FM Points - 1444

Derby County - 1 English Championship, 1 English Premier League
Nottingham Forest - 1 English Premier League, 4 English League Cups, 2 Champions Leagues, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 Community Shield

Number 8 - Walter Smith - Scottish
FM Points - 1362

Scotland -1 Euro U19s Championship
Rangers - 10 Scottish Premierships, 5 Scottish Cups, 6 Scottish League Cups

Number 9 - Matt Busby - Scottish
FM Points - 1277

Manchester United - 5 English Premier Leagues, 1 Champions League, 2 FA Cups

Number 10 - Kenny Dalglish - Scottish
FM Points - 1110

Liverpool - 3 English Premier Leagues, 4 Community Shields, 2 FA Cups, 1 English League Cup
Blackburn - 1 English Premier League
Celtic - 1 Scottish League Cup

Next update... Available teams for me to manage within commutable distance.

Challenge 2 - Available Teams Within Commutable Distance

Available Teams To Manage

As mentioned before, the second part of my challenge will be to only manage sides within a commutable (40 miles) distance of my home address in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. This is determined by a door to door drive using Google Maps. If it's under 40 miles, their in....even 1 mile over and it's a no go! So let's have a look at who qualifies...

Vanarama National League South
Eastbourne Borough - 32 miles
Whitehawk - 34 miles
Dartford - 30 miles
Welling United - 36 miles

Vanarama National League
Maidstone United - 18 miles
Bromley - 35 miles
Sutton United - 36 miles
Ebbsfleet United - 34 miles

English League Two
Crawley Town - 26 miles

English League One

Gillingham - 29 miles
Charlton Athletic - 39 miles

Championship
Millwall - 36 miles
Fulham - 39.9 miles

Premier League
West Ham - 39.8 miles
Brighton & Hove Albion - 29 miles
Crystal Palace - 32 miles

When I look at this list, it really sinks in about the magnitude of the task I have set myself with not one team on my list that you could see as a realistic winner of the premier league within 10 seasons! The closest I got to reaching one of the big teams which would have made my task of winning trophies easier (if I ever got there) was Chelsea. They came up on the map as 40.8 miles away!! Just outside my parameter of 40 miles!

Last edited:
You Choose My Team

You Choose Where I Begin

This is where you guys come in....my followers will choose the club at which I start my career. I am looking to begin in either the Vanarama National League or right at the bottom in the National League South! I will be starting my career tomorrow afternoon from about 4pm....so the vote is open until then. If you read this, please leave a comment with your club of choosing from the list below....the most votes is where I begin my journey!

Vanarama National League South

Dartford
Eastbourne Borough
Welling
Whitehawk

Vanarama National League

Maidstone United
Bromley
Sutton United
Ebbsfleet United

Used to live close to Biggin Hill before my move to Brisbane, Australia.

Bromley very much a local club for me and used to get down to Hayes Lane as often as I could - would be a good story. Also given there's another story on here currently at Welling I would be inclined to leave them out.

My vote however would go to Sutton. After last years FA Cup run it would be good to see if there is any extra revenue in the pot and if you could emulate that success.

Used to live close to Biggin Hill before my move to Brisbane, Australia.

Bromley very much a local club for me and used to get down to Hayes Lane as often as I could - would be a good story. Also given there's another story on here currently at Welling I would be inclined to leave them out.

My vote however would go to Sutton. After last years FA Cup run it would be good to see if there is any extra revenue in the pot and if you could emulate that success.

Bromley is a club that is also close to my heart. My grandad was on the board down there and used to take me to every home and away game as a young kid.

But I like your thinking on Sutton...could be a good challenge with them possibly having some cash behind them from their impressive cup run last year.

At the moment, it's looking like Sutton as you have the only vote lol

I'd say Whitehawk just cos they have the coolest name. Ultimately I'm not bothered though, I'll be following the save either way :)

I'd say Whitehawk just cos they have the coolest name. Ultimately I'm not bothered though, I'll be following the save either way :)

Cheers Sammu

So that's 1 for whitehawk and 1 for Sutton so far

I'll go Sutton....but only if you can resign the Pie-Eating Keeper!

No preference - it sounds good

FM 2017 I did a game with Eastleigh which went pretty well but Ebbsfleet also managed to get into the Premier league after about 12 seasons. So I vote for them.

2 for Sutton
1 for Whitehawk
1 for Ebbsfleet

Any other votes?

Sutton United It Is!

My journey to become the greatest British manager in history starts here, at Sutton United, in the 5th tier of English football, the Vanarama National League.

View attachment 75338View attachment 75337

The club are approaching their 130th year and have a handful of trophies to their name. The highest honour being a Vanarama National League South title, which was won only 2 years ago.

View attachment 75336

The club finished 12th in the National League, a decent showing for their first season back in the division since 2000. But what they really made the headlines for last season was their amazing run in the FA Cup which saw them reach the 5th round where they were knocked out by Arsenal in a 2-0 defeat, which also involved the famous pie-gate scandal. During that run to the 5th round, they managed to knock out Cheltenham, AFC Wimbledon and Leeds United!

View attachment 75335

That FA Cup run must have generated some decent cash for the club as they have a very healthy bank balance of nearly half a million.

View attachment 75334

Despite having an abundance of funds in the bank, only £20k has been made available to me for transfers. I do have a nice £6k buffer on the wage budget to play around with though!

The Squad

The Squad

Day one in the job and the 1st thing on the agenda (after meeting the chairman of course) is to take a look at the squad I've inherited and see what I've got to work with.

View attachment 75333

On the face of it, I'm pretty impressed if I'm honest. A pretty large squad with cover in almost every role. A good base of English players too. We do have a large number of short players so going forward with long balls or lots of crosses might not work well for us. I'll probably be looking to adapt a passing game, using the quality in our side to carve out chances in and around the box.

Key Players

View attachment 75332

At the ripe old age of 33, Nicky Bailey still stands out as possibly the best player in this squad. The central midfielder is a natural leader, works well in a team and has some really good passing and tackling ability making him a very good all round midfield player.

View attachment 75331

It is surprising to see a 26 year old Craig Eastmond playing his football down at such a level, but I ain't complaining. He came through the Arsenal academy and spent 9 seasons with the club before they moved him on to Colchester. Clearly stands out as a leading player in this whole division, let alone squad.

View attachment 75330

Kieron Cadogan is another product of Premiership youth, having come through at Crystal Palace. After spells with Aldershot and Barnet, he moved to Sweden and spent 3 seasons playing for Goteborgs AIS in the 2nd tier of Swedish football. He joined Sutton last season. The 26 year old wide man offers some technique and flair going forward with some decent dribbling ability and good pace.

View attachment 75328

There's plenty of influential players at this club. Although there will be loads of leadership on the pitch, I could have a job on my hands keeping all these lads happy as not to cause unrest amongst the squad.

Update

Update

I have wasted no time in bringing some of my own staff into the club. Within a couple of weeks of being appointed, I have added a new Chief Scout, Director of Football and Head of Youth Development to the backroom team. You'll see our new Director of Football is ex England international Terry Butcher!

View attachment 75314 View attachment 75313 View attachment 75312

I have also asked the board to look for a senior affiliate for the club to be linked with. Not only will this bring in some extra annual revenue for the club, but should hopefully give me access to some talented youth from a team higher up the league structure.

They came back to me with 3 options, Aston Villa, Sunderland and Ipswich. I felt Villa would be the best option for us.

View attachment 75311

I spent the last few days reading first your FM17 Journeyman story, then your FM18 equivalent and enjoyed both immensely. Disappointed to hear about the crash but I look forward to following this, good luck!

I spent the last few days reading first your FM17 Journeyman story, then your FM18 equivalent and enjoyed both immensely. Disappointed to hear about the crash but I look forward to following this, good luck!

Thanks Patrick. With a brand new laptop we should be in for the long haul on this one mate. Determined to beat fergies record but it's not gonna be easy

That's a nice bank balance to start with - transfer budget not relative though in my opinion. Out of curiosity, what skin are you using?

Also you've given me the bug - I might start my own story shortly as Bromley. See if we can get the boys up the leagues, that and I've always wondered what will happen when a club with an artificial pitch gets promoted on FM...

This looks really good mate. The Scotts have had some class managers over the years!

Will be following

Great story idea, nice to see something different! Sutton would be a good place to start!

That's a nice bank balance to start with - transfer budget not relative though in my opinion. Out of curiosity, what skin are you using?

Also you've given me the bug - I might start my own story shortly as Bromley. See if we can get the boys up the leagues, that and I've always wondered what will happen when a club with an artificial pitch gets promoted on FM...

Yea it's a nice position to be in financially. I use the FLUT skin which you can find on the fmscout website