'Best' Premier League XI

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 60
  • Views Views 4K

Billy

#THFC
Reaction score
The time has come for me to supply yet another discussion thread in the football sub-forum.

So, my question to you this time, is:

"Of all of the players currently playing football in the Premier League, who would you choose to include in the best possible team of eleven?"

You can pick anyone, with as many players from a particular club as you want. Think about your answer though, don't just stick Gerrard and Lampard in central-midfield because they play well separately; try and pick players who would complement one another when formulating your team.

For the sake of simplicity, please use the 4-4-2 formation as standard, and then use custom formations if you want to list multiple teams.

Here are mine:

4-4-2
Cech
Sagna Vidic King(C) Cole
Valencia Lampard(VC) Essien Bale
Drogba Rooney

4-2-3-1
Cech
Sagna Vidic King(C) Cole
Essien Lampard(VC)
Valencia Modric Bale
Drogba

I'll admit, I really struggled with the winger positions; especially on the left.

Bale, Malouda, Johnson and even Nani who impressed in the latter stages of last season. I chose Bale, possibly through bias, but I also believe him to be the best left-sided player in the premiership at the moment alongside Malouda, and I imagine the Chelsea fans will pick their boy too. (A)

A season ago, the choice of Drogba for both formations may not have been so clear-cut with Torres in the mix, but I do think the Ivorian is in a class of his own at the moment, so he makes both teams.

Modric misses out in the 4-4-2 formation just about, thanks to Lampard's goalscoring record, and Essien's 'bite' in the centre.

I have marked the captain and vice-captain clearly in both teams, if anyone was interested in that particular factor.

King? Vermaelan or dawson would fit better... And modric plays on the left as well so yea its a really tough decision. Difficult to choose between evra and cole, cole edges out since he won the league though.
Strikers drogba and rooney are pretty straight forward. Bale didnt have the best season so its unfair to put him in a winger position although he was very impressive.

overall id rate your 442 8.5/10 and your 4231 8/10

Hart
Evra
Sagna
Vidic
Kompany
Adam Johnson
Bale
Gerrard
Essien
Drogba
Tevez

King? Vermaelan or dawson would fit better... And modric plays on the left as well so yea its a really tough decision. Difficult to choose between evra and cole, cole edges out since he won the league though.
Strikers drogba and rooney are pretty straight forward. Bale didnt have the best season so its unfair to put him in a winger position although he was very impressive.

overall id rate your 442 8.5/10 and your 4231 8/10

King is better than Dawson, and definitely better than Vermaelen.

Bale's 2010 was superb. His 2009 wasn't great, but he was still trying to force his way back into the team ahead of Assou-Ekotto at LB and Modric at LW. When he managed to get back in, he quickly became our most valuable player for the close of the season.

Thanks for the good ratings I guess, but I'm more interested in your choices. Post them up. :)

GK: VDS
RB: Sagna
CB: Vidic
CB:King
LB: Cole
RM: Valencia
CM: Essien
CM: Lampard
LM: Bales
ST: Rooney
ST: Drogba

This team is very similar to Billys, with only VDS replacing cech, i think Since Cechs head injury he has got slightly worse, SO i have gone for VDS as i feel he is a more confident keeper when coming for Crosses, Corners ect.

I feel that King and Vidic would suit each other well, with Vidic power and no- nonsense approach whilst king is a good "sweeper" type CB who is good with the ball at his feet.

4-2-3-1

GK: VDS
CB:King
CM:Lampard
RAM:Valencia
CAM: Gerrard
LAM: Bale
ST: Rooney

Again i would play a very similar team to before with only Gerrard Coming in, i think this team would be full of goals, with Valencia and Bale pace and quality of deliveries providing chances for Gerrard and Lampard to break into the box, with Rooney also Prowling around.

Last edited:
4-3-3
Hart
Sagna Terry Vermaelan Bale
Gerrard Essien Fabregas
Malouda Drogba Torres
(C)

GK: Hart
CB: Vermaelen
RM: A Johnson
LM: Bale
CM: Scholes
ST: Drogba
ST: Tevez

Chose Hart just on his current form as Cech isn't what he used to be. Pretty standard back 4. I think scholes is performing better than Lamps this season so he deserves his place. Same with Adam Johnson easily ahead of Valencia.

VDS
Brown Vidic Rio Evra
Valencia Scholes Fletcher Nani
Rooney Berba

(6)(6)(6)(6)

On a serious note..

VDS
Sagna Vidic Ferdinand Evra
Valencia Scholes Gerrard Bale
Rooney Drogba

I dont think there is anything wrong with Valencia being in a team, he is one of the best RW in the league.

I don't dispute that mate, but current form etc... Adam Johnson?

And would have Hart over VDS as well.

I don't dispute that mate, but current form etc... Adam Johnson?

I dont think it is just last 3 games mate, I would say that valencia last season was better then Johnson, and whilst johnson has played well for a couple of games. there is still a point to put valencia a head of him.

hart

bale, richards, vidic, dawson

malouda, scholes, gerrard, adam johnson

drogba, rooney

guess i'd go something like that maybe. :)

I dont think it is just last 3 games mate, I would say that valencia last season was better then Johnson, and whilst johnson has played well for a couple of games. there is still a point to put valencia a head of him.

All matter of opinion ;) Since Johnson has joined in January I think he has just given City something different. Brilliant player for me.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Hart
Sagna Kompany Vidic Cole
Johnson Essien Gerrard Bale
Torres** Drogba

**When fit, if not - Rooney​

All matter of opinion ;) Since Johnson has joined in January I think he has just given City something different. Brilliant player for me.

Yeah I'm with Alex, I think Johnson has been much better than Valencia over the last 6 months. With Rooney injured, Valencia had no-one to cross to...

Johnson (& Nani) can make chances on their own

Johnson is primarily a left-winger, which is why I left him out by choosing Bale ahead of him.

Indeed he does, but I'd still favour a natural right-footed player ahead of him.

If he becomes the next Robben, I might eat my words.

4-4-2

J. Hart
B. Sagna - N. Vidic (c) - L. King - A. Cole
Nani - C. Fabregas - R. Giggs (vc) - G. Bale
R. van Persie - D. Drogba

- - - - -​

Joe Hart continues to impress with every game and it's only a matter of time before every big team in the world will want him.

I can't think of any better right-back than Sagna, and it was a toss up between Cole and Evra but think I've made the right choice. As seen a few times already, Vidic and King at the heart of defence.

Nani's superb overall season has earned him a place, and I've left out the obvious Gerrard, Lampard, Essien (although very, very good players) and I've chosen - possibly bias, but - Cesc Fabregas and Ryan Giggs. Despite him ageing, he still has all the qualities needed. Bale on the left, obviously.

As for attack, I think when Robin van Persie is fit, he can be just as good as any of the other 'top' strikers in the league i.e. Torres, Rooney, and my final selection Drogba, who everybody knows has it all. Including temper.

Back