'Best' Premier League XI

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 60
  • Views Views 4K
King is better than Vermaelen, he was the most over rated defender last season and i was shocked to see him win signing of the year, over Tevez. Very over rated defender

King did play 5 game consecutively at the end of last season oO)

How can you say his positional errors get highlited too much? He plays for Arsenal, and is costing them big goals in big games resulting in them eventually slumping out of competitions. Positioning is hugely important at this level.

Can you name those 5 games please? There's more chance of my cat speaking than King staying fit for a season.

Sure positional wise he is not the best, but his other attributes make up for that. He was the highest scoring defender last season in the Premier League with 7 goals, 8 in all competitions. I assume you're referring to his mistakes against Barcelona, the best attacking team in the world, who could have won about 7-0 in both of their games against Arsenal?

J.Hart
B.Sagna T.Vermaelen L. King A.Cole
M.Essien
S.Gerrard F.Fabregas
C. Tevez
D.Drogba F.Torres

Okay taking into account current form, I'll go with

GK Hart
RB Richards
LB Cole
CB Hangeland
CB Bramble
RM Milner
LM Malouda
CM Essien
CM Scholes
CF Carroll
CF Drogba

I have decided this team by current form, so far this season, bigger players have been left out due to the players in this team being in what I think is top form.

GK: Manuel Almunia
DR: Gary Neville
DL: Phil Neville
DC: Titus Bramble
DC: Emile Heskey

In Almunia, we have a keeper who knows how to save shots, but sometimes chooses not to. At least when he lets goals in the fans can have some comic relief, when another keeper makes a mistake, everyone gets cross at him, but when Almunia has another howler then shrugs his shoulders and looks at you with his silly Spanish face, you cannot help but love him, a shoe-in.

Gary and Phil Neville at full backs speak for themselves. I've gone for the 'lack-of-pace' approach, their lack of ability will draw the opposition into a false sense ofsecurity, at which point Phil will tee up Gary for a 35 yard back-heel volley in the 98th minute which will catch the other team's keeper off guard and sail into the top corner, and their brotherly communication skills, general uglyness and random bursts of shouting will help the team no-ends.

Some people may raise their eyebrows at my decision to put Emile Heskey at centre-back, but with the mighty Titus Bramble at his side, I may just have found Heskey's zenith. Here, I will use Heskey to challenge for aerial balls with the idea of the big man using his condor-esque jumping to win it in the air and employ his trademark 'flick-on' to knock the ball forward to the midfielders. Bramble will be there to nurture Heskey and break him into the defense, any newcomer to the world of defending needs a cool head like Titus along side, the perfect defender to keep his head in those sticky situations.

DM: Lee Cattermole
DM: Nigel de Jong
MC: Rory de Lap

Here is a midfield that no team would look forward to facing. The ferocious duo of Lee Clatter-into-your-legs-mole and Nigel de(capitating) Jong will strike fear (and in de Jong's case, his boot) into the hearts of opposition players. If any cocky dribbler who believes in that bullshit called 'ball control' manages to get past the scything lunges of Cattermole, de Jong will be there, ready to falcon kick them in the chest, not a chance of getting past this pair, son. Playing against these 2 would be like trying to drive an Austin Metro on an ice rink filled with speeding lorries; sooner or later, someone's gonna get hurt and it sure as **** ain't gonna be them.

In Rory Delap, we have the creative hub of the team, a man whose sheer range of punts is a struggle for any defence to cope with, I have visions of Rory picking up the ball in the centre-circle, hoofing it in the air and seeing Heskey bombing forward on the overlap, ready for that all important flick-on, what a treat. I would also intend to utilise his long throwing ability to win numerous NBA titles on the side.

AMR: Shaun Wright-Phillips
AML: Saloman Kalou
FC: Dirk Kuyt

Wright-Phillips. What a guy. He will bring so much to the team, his ability to pick up the ball in a promising position and run it towards the corner flag is simply unsurpassed. I envisage this team being a goal ahead late on in many games, at which point Heskey et al will simply knock the ball to Wright-Phillips and he will run with it aimlessly until full-time, cracking stuff.

In Kalou, we have a winger who seems to do nothing short of **** all, and that's just what this team needs. With the endeavour which will doubtless be put in by the rest of the side, we could really do with someone who just minces about until the ball falls at his feet 3 yards away from goal, he will also bring an extra element of flair to the team and his natural swagger will delight the fans as he flamboyantly strolls down the touchline as the rest of the team is defending a corner.

Kuyt will be the goals of the team. With the quality of players in the team, I expect the defenders and midfielders to chip in with a fair few goals, but Kuyt will be the cutting edge. His composure infront of goal is an asset that the likes of Messi and Drogba wish they had, if they had the nerve of Kuyt they would be 5-goal-a-season players, but, alas, not all of us can be blessed with the finesse of Kuyt. The lad's better at poaching than David Attenborough in the Savannah and can be relied upon to hit the target almost as much as Ray Charles, truly the jewel in the crown of this wonderful team.

Last edited:
GK: Petr Cech
DR: Brana Ivanovic
DL: Ashley Cole
DC: Nemanja Vidic
DC: John Terry
MC: Darren Fletcher
MC: Frank Lampard
MC: Michael Essien
ST: Florent Malouda
ST: Wayne Rooney
ST: Didier Drogba

Just Chelsea and Man Utd for me.

Van der sar
Johnson
Ferdinand
Vidic
Cole

Silva
Lampard
Fabregas
Gerrard

Rooney
Drogba

4-4-1-1
Cech
Evra-Vidic-Terry-Cole
Bale-Barry-Gerrard-Nani
Walcott
Drogba
As painful as it is to admit it (as a united fan) rooney SUCKS at the moment and im gonna have to go with drogba walcott is doing well (painfully admitted) and cech is better than VDS (you do not know how painful that was to admit...)​

David Silva is understandable inclusion, i didnt pick him because he hasnt done much for us yet. i would have picked yaya toure but i didnt for that exact reason aswell.

KEEPER
Van Der Sar
DEFENDERS
Johnson
Vidic
Terry (Captain)
Evra
MIDFIELDERS
Valencia
Scholes
Lampard
Malouda
STRIKERS
Drogba
Rooney

Pepe Reina
Bakary Sagna - Nemanja Vidic - Alex/Daniel Agger* - Ashley Cole

Michael Essien
Florent Malouda - Steven Gerrard - Gareth Bale
Fernando Torres - Didier Drogba

*As you can see I have included Daniel Agger, not because I see him as the best defender in the league, he is far from it, but because I feel having a skilled Central Defender along with a powerhouse in Vidic it plays a great partnership. For the same reason I have included Alex, however, if it were around 2 seasons ago, it would be Rio Ferdinand, I just think he is less of a defender now. Just to make it clear, Alex would be my preferred pick, to Agger.​

In goal I selected Pep, primarily because I don't think there is a better shot stopper in the league, he has tremendous reflexes and his counter attack mentality is great.​

Pretty standard defence, not much to say.​

In midfield I have to of the best wide players in the league, who torment defenders paired along with who in my opinion are the best central players in the premier league.​

Up top I again used a powerhouse in Didier Drogba and the quick and skillfull Fernando Torres, much like the central defence partnership.​

And just for the record, Manager - Alex Ferguson.​

Last edited:
I believe Stevie G & Lamps CAN be effective in the same team - as long as they don't play in the same line. Stevie is playing the true central midfield role for us & England now, & is getting better at it with every game. If Lamps plays in the AMC position they could operate effectively as they wouldn't be worrying all the time about who makes runs & who holds back.

Gomes
Corluka Terry Vidic Cole
Lennon T.Cahill Essien Kranjcar
Torres Chamakh

Back