Best Transfer Window Business

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 6K

Best business?

• Total voters
5 million for a 30 year old central defender who'll have no resale value wouldn't be my cup of tea for a smart bit of business.

Everton getting shut of Lescott for 24 million was the bluenoses at their best in their transfer market - want away player sold for more than he's worth by some considerable margin. 30 million+ for Alonso wasn't too shabby either all things considered. Best buy was probably Kranjcar although the price reflected how poor a negotiating position Portsmouth were in, and 'Arry stitched them up good and proper with that deal.

No shouts for Matías Fernández? £3.5m from Villarreal to Sporting. Great deal for Sporting, don't know what Villarreal were thinking.

mati hasent really cut the mustard in europe he plays better for chile then he does club football.

Selling ronaldo has to be n with a shout. 80million pounds banked. and it has allowed rooney to blossom. surely thats awesome.

got to be kranjcar and why oh why is tuncay on there hes done nothing special?

Dunnes done alright since going to Villa but its got to be Vermaelen now hes special and 9.5m is a steal

5 million for a 30 year old central defender who'll have no resale value wouldn't be my cup of tea for a smart bit of business.

Hmmmm, Ive got to disagree with your comments about Richard Dunne (I assume thats who you're talking about), £5million with some of the current prices for footballers in an absoloute steal for most center-backs in a top 10 club. Taking into account that in my (slightly biased ;)) opinion he has to be down as defensive player of the season, and that he has immediately slotted in to a basically brand new Villa back 4 seamlessly I would say already justifies his moderately transfer price. I don't really understand your point on resale value, as we signed Dunne to play for our team, and even if we sold him for £15m in two seasons it would be for reletively futile financial benefits as we'd have been paying him footballers wages for 3 seasons.

I think it's pretty apparent that my vote went for ol' Ricky Dunne, but I've got to say that Krancjar was a real steal, and just the sort of player Villa would benefit in having.<)

Hmmmm, Ive got to disagree with your comments about Richard Dunne (I assume thats who you're talking about), £5million with some of the current prices for footballers in an absoloute steal for most center-backs in a top 10 club. Taking into account that in my (slightly biased ;)) opinion he has to be down as defensive player of the season, and that he has immediately slotted in to a basically brand new Villa back 4 seamlessly I would say already justifies his moderately transfer price. I don't really understand your point on resale value, as we signed Dunne to play for our team, and even if we sold him for £15m in two seasons it would be for reletively futile.

I'm judging it solely as business. You could have had a Greek international for 1.5 million, similar age, similar level of ability. So 5 million is over the odds. Decent player, decent season, brilliant bit of business? Nah.

richard dunne is a top defender, he along with david james and sylvain distin kept us in the prem for a good 4 years, we were so **** we did not belong in the prem at that time, and krygiakos is **** and had no premiership experience, he had spl experience which is one of the worst leagues in europe

I'm judging it solely as business. You could have had a Greek international for 1.5 million, similar age, similar level of ability. So 5 million is over the odds. Decent player, decent season, brilliant bit of business? Nah.

Fair point, I sort of thought of it as buy of the season. O'Niel oh so rarely buys outside British leagues so there was never any chance of us getting Krygiakos.

p.s. Dunne is better than Krygiakos ;)

richard dunne is a top defender, he along with david james and sylvain distin kept us in the prem for a good 4 years, we were so **** we did not belong in the prem at that time, and krygiakos is **** and had no premiership experience, he had spl experience which is one of the worst leagues in europe

He's a cult figure for the City fans, and I can get that. Doesn't make him the second coming of Bobby Moore though. If he were a top defender, why did City go out and pay well over the odds for two new centre backs? He's a decent centre-half who'll do a decent job for any team which sits deep in defence and looks to play on the counter. He's also decent at attacking set-pieces which helps out when playing that way too.

Greek international for 1.5 million, 25 year old German international for the same money, so I think Villa paid a bit over the odds for Dunne. Not that they had much choice given they needed a quick solution to the lack of cover in central defence. And I'm not knocking Dunne - he's had a decent season with Villa and he's a good, solid, honest pro who gives his all to his team.

80m Ronaldo? Obviously its great money and allowed rooney to blossom, but if we don't win anything this season (the CC doesn't count) then the only point at the end of the day will be that we missed him.

30 million+ for Alonso wasn't too shabby either all things considered.

I think if you lot don't make the CL then that will be seen as a terrible decision. Sure it's good money, but there's a strong case for saying that you'd easily be in the top four with him still in the side, and the money from a CL campaign next season (and possibly the knock-out stages this year if you'd played better-which you may have done with Alonso) would far exceed the sole 30m payment you received for him.

It's largely hypothetical I know, but worth bearing in mind.

I think if you lot don't make the CL then that will be seen as a terrible decision. Sure it's good money, but there's a strong case for saying that you'd easily be in the top four with him still in the side, and the money from a CL campaign next season (and possibly the knock-out stages this year if you'd played better-which you may have done with Alonso) would far exceed the sole 30m payment you received for him.

It's largely hypothetical I know, but worth bearing in mind.

True that, but then against it you have to place the fact that for a couple of seasons prior to last, he'd been pretty poor and so he was sold at the peak of his value rather than trying to force him to stay for another season where he'd be ten sheets to the wind again and then wouldn't have any resale value for any kind of replacement of quality. Swings and roundabouts. But as I said, taking it purely as business and 30 million+ for Alonso was a good bit of business in the circumstances. Not quite as good as Lescott being flogged on, I'll agree ;)

edit: I'll just throw in that we've no idea what was going financially behind the scenes either at the club. One thing's for certain is that the full value of the Alonso transfer wasn't available to Rafa, so I'm guessing that 'other things' may have been going on too.

Ronaldo transfer I can't even begin to start to analyse as Real Madrid don't operate as a normal business in any sense of the word 'normal' or 'business'. Good money for Manchester United, but it seems to have vanished into paying off your debt and replaced with a loan facility for the money, so maybe good business for the Glazers, less so for the club?

Last edited:
Back