Bids Reveal United's Weaknesses

SuperDude

Banned
Reaction score
Manchester United’s apparent bid for Wesley Sneijder, together with ongoing interest in Karim Benzema and Mario Ballotelli, is a better indicator of the squad’s current state than Sir Alex Ferguson’s public statements of happiness. Huge shortcommings in central midfield and attack were brutally exposed towards the tail-end of last season.

It’s a problem Ferguson at least recognises but whether the Scot is allowed to repair his ageing squad is another question altogether. The club’s £;20 million bid for World Cup superstar Sneijder hardly bore the hallmarks of authenticity, much akin to United’s late, undervalued, offer for Benzema last summer.

After all the market price for Sneijder has been set with City spending £27 million on Barcelona reserve Yaya Toure and even more on the brilliant Spaniard David Silva. Sneijder’s form is better than either, having won a treble with Inter Milan last season and guided Holland into the World Cup final.

Inter, quite rightly, stood firm and the player himself has indicated his preference to remain in Milan. Already on a wage superior to anybody at Old Trafford and winning trophies by the bucketload, why would Sneijder move? It’s a fact that United almost certainly already knew, having resisted the option to include the Dutch playmaker in Real Madrid’s deal for Cristiano Ronaldo last summer.

Indeed the bid for Sneijder now smacks of grandstanding from the club’s management, who have failed to sell out Old Trafford’s allocation of season tickets this summer, with executive seats again well down on last season too. No surprise then that Inter President Massimo Moratti described United’s interest as “an advertising campaign”.

Ballotelli, however, is available following a series of clashes with Jose Mourinho last season and a public expression of love for Inter’s crosstown rivals AC. Inter simply want to start an auction.

The talented Italian has plenty of critics in Milan, not least because the forward’s temperament is more that of a hormonal teenager than professional footballer. But with Manchester City sniffing around there’s little chance of United succeeding with a bid – if the interest is at all genuine. Take the speculation with a large pinch of salt.

While United supporters should drop any hope of signing Sneijder, Ballotelli, or indeed Benzema as Rant argued last week, Ferguson has at least revealed his hand. The World Cup has taught us nothing if not that ball retention, the playmaker and the 4-2-3-1 system are king at the highest level. Ferguson it seems has watched.

The club’s complete reliance on Rooney as the lone spearhead in the all but the games Ferguson is confident of winning handsomely was unmasked after the striker’s injury in March last season. Hope that Dimitar Berbatov will come good or that Javier Hernández can hit the ground running in England is no kind of strategy on which to base a season and Ferguson knows it.

The paucity of both goals and creativity from central midfield was perhaps an even greater problem though. Six of United’s losses last season came when Ferguson’s side failed to score. If the bus is parked, United’s strategy dries up with Paul Scholes playing deeper – and slower – than ever and Michael Carrick permanently out of form.

Anderson, Darren Fletcher and Owen Hargreaves will compete with Carrick for two deep central midfield slots next season, leaving Ferguson reliant on Darron Gibson to provide flair from midfield. Few believe the Ulsterman is the ‘world class’ option United requires.

But with Silva already off the market and Sneijder’s “heart in Milan,” Ferguson is left with few options even if he has the money.

http://www.unitedran...99s-weaknesses/

I found this outstanding article which I want to share with you guys, it sums up all my views on the current situation perfectly.

I though they were in huge debt? They do need to buy though if they want to regain the title.

When we dont bid = We are skint, we dont have money.
When we sing youngster for 10M = Unknown player and club is not ambitious enough.
When we made 20M bid = We are just showing we have money.
When we make 30M bid = We are over paying.

God save us. We are not as bad as people make out.

and what about luis fabiano's £25 million get out clause? then Rooney can get into the Attacking midfield role behind fabiano like this:

Hargreaves Carrick
Valencia Rooney Nani

Luis Fabiano

lol not a very good article

While United supporters should drop any hope of signing Sneijder, Ballotelli, or indeed Benzema as Rant argued last week, Ferguson has at least revealed his hand. The World Cup has taught us nothing if not that ball retention, the playmaker and the 4-2-3-1 system are king at the highest level. Ferguson it seems has watched

you mean the formation that the has formed the basis of most SAF's tactics of the last decade?? also united bid 30 million for benzema, who went for 41 million euro, hardly undervalued. then agin this is from unitedrant so not exactly the best best source

I have said all along that the Sneijder bid was nothing but a PR excercise, he is a 40 million + player and we were never going to spend that kind of money on him after we could of had him for 13 million last summer. Ditto with Fergie's claims about interest in David Villa, another advertising campaign to fool naive United fans, will it certainly does not fool me.

It breaks my heart to read this, because yet again it stems back to our skint, arrogant ******* yank owners, it is completely clear now that they are killing Utd with their idiotic debts and failure to allocate decent transfer funds. FFS GLAZERS **** OFF!!!!!!

Sneijder would be a quality signing but why would he leave Inter???
Benzema is a long shot and i really can't see us getting anywhere near acquiring him.
Balotelli is a player i don't want to see in a Utd shirt, we have spent the last several seasons defusing Rooney and we can't afford to spend the next several defusing Mario.

I have said all along that the Sneijder bid was nothing but a PR excercise, he is a 40 million + player and we were never going to spend that kind of money on him after we could of had him for 13 million last summer. Ditto with Fergie's claims about interest in David Villa, another advertising campaign to fool naive United fans, will it certainly does not fool me.
we never made a bid, moratti said we were interested,a nd he is rated at 29 million. so no he is not a40 million rated player. again where fergie himself say he was interested in buy david villa.

we never made a bid, moratti said we were interested,a nd he is rated at 29 million. so no he is not a40 million rated player. again where fergie himself say he was interested in buy david villa.

LOL there is not a chance in **** that Sneijder would go for 29 million in this transfer market, Inter are not stupid lol. With regards to David Villa: “We’ve looked at a few options,” said Ferguson. “We did consider David Villa but he was always going to Barcelona. I just don’t believe there is value out there at the moment. I’m very happy with the strength of our squad as it is.”

It breaks my heart to read this, because yet again it stems back to our skint, arrogant ******* yank owners, it is completely clear now that they are killing Utd with their idiotic debts and failure to allocate decent transfer funds. FFS GLAZERS **** OFF!!!!!!

Sneijder would be a quality signing but why would he leave Inter???
Benzema is a long shot and i really can't see us getting anywhere near acquiring him.
Balotelli is a player i don't want to see in a Utd shirt, we have spent the last several seasons defusing Rooney and we can't afford to spend the next several defusing Mario.
to be honest this article contains nothing new, its written by people who expect us to buy £30million players every year

LOL there is not a chance in **** that Sneijder would go for 29 million in this transfer market, Inter are not stupid lol.
I just don’t believe there is value out there at the moment.
I’m very happy with the strength of our squad as it is.

I agree with you on these two points.
Maybe you should rethink your decision lol

to be honest this article contains nothing new, its written by people who expect us to buy £30million players every year

Not really, we would just like an upgrade on the ordinary run of the mill group of midfielders that we currently have to make do with that get exposed every time we play against a good team. Plus an upgrade on Berbaflop would also be nice, when Rooney gets injured or needs a rest United are toothless in attack.

Then why this rant. We wont spend as we cant afford. ok?

We believe SAF who knows inside out of the club rather than someone who supported Arsenal before jumping ship.

And Sneijder didn't want to be bargain chip in Ronaldo's deal, he would have rejected us anyways.

Not really, we would just like an upgrade on the ordinary run of the mill group of midfielders that we currently have to make do with that get exposed every time we play against a good team. Plus an upgrade on Berbaflop would also be nice, when Rooney gets injured or needs a rest United are toothless in attack.
again none of this is new... and last time i checked the transfer window wasnt closed. interested you say exposed, same group of midfielders won us a 3 titles on the bounce, a cl title and took us to the final of another.

we just bought hernandez, or are you gong to dismiss him straight away?

**** me have a little faith in SAF, i think hes earnt it

edit: and apparently you're a gloryhunter who used to support arsenal? says it all really.

and what about luis fabiano's £25 million get out clause? then Rooney can get into the Attacking midfield role behind fabiano like this:

Hargreaves Carrick
Valencia Rooney Nani

Luis Fabiano
No. nuff said

We were exposed so badly that even with our defensive crisis we had best defensive record in the league.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

And FYI if Sneijder flops in PL you will be the first to start thread saying Sneijderflop and SAF makes mistakes with all big signings.

news paper talk, doubt very much man u are even interested in the players, a "well place source" told the news papers about.

sniejder will not leave inter i can guarrentee that, he and his girlfriend have only just settled in milan and why would he leave a club that guarrentees trophies every season. as for man utd i feel for the fans with them being in this situation but the so called green and gold campain does what exacly (apart from making you look like Norwich). more needs to be done but it wont im not saying you wont because your bad fans you wont because knowone would i mean boycotting matches, not buying official team merchandise its the only way but like i said not any fan base in the world would do this. i dont want man utd to fold as a club because then who would be our title challengers every season:p

sniejder will not leave inter i can guarrentee that, he and his girlfriend have only just settled in milan and why would he leave a club that guarrentees trophies every season. as for man utd i feel for the fans with them being in this situation but the so called green and gold campain does what exacly (apart from making you look like Norwich). more needs to be done but it wont im not saying you wont because your bad fans you wont because knowone would i mean boycotting matches, not buying official team merchandise its the only way but like i said not any fan base in the world would do this. i dont want man utd to fold as a club because then who would be our title challengers every season:p

Chill. Not every club likes to ***** themselves for money ala Chelski and Man city. And GG campaign does more than you know. You think everyone would be aware of how we would be ****** up by leeches if not for GG and MUST.? And We are too big a club to fold and if United is put to sale there will be so many billionaires who wants to invest Coz United is not just club, Its money making machine. Global brand. Level above all the English clubs.