Resource icon

BJT Masterclass – 361 / Nullifying the Opposition - my Pragmatic Approach 2

Great stuff - do let me know how you get on if you could. Haven't tested it in the Prem, it works in Italy but not Spain.

Don't worry with the OIs, most don't seem to know :)

Basically the opponents left flank players (LB/WBL/LW/AML - show onto the left foot, being the touchline) - And visa versa for the right. It promotes compactness of the backliine, makes the opponents highly predictable, and forces inside forwards away from goal.

I always defend in this manner, except for my Pep / very high possession systems.
brilliant thanks for the reply and ill certainly let you know how i get on

Reactions: BJT
Glad it's working! I got 27 clean sheets in 38 games in my Inter save - you better not break it lol.

What I would say now though is after testing it in Spain with Athletico Madrid, it definitely does not work there. I guess being a possession based league there are less opportunities to break and playing more direct means you'll be starved too much of the football.

With that said we still had the best defensive record - just that Morata or Costa weren't prolific enough and scoring was a real problem - or maybe they just weren't good enough?? I guess in general though wingless formations will tend to work best in Italy, so this tactic is best to be used here.
Thats strange!It should work with any team in my opinion if you have right players,but A.Madrid had amazing players so I am in shock litlle bit...Really strange...

Thats strange!It should work with any team in my opinion if you have right players,but A.Madrid had amazing players so I am in shock litlle bit...Really strange...
Yeah...just had the same prob in the Bundesliga - but I've tweaked it. Was 13 points behind with 10 games to spare, ended up just 3 behind and also won the domestic cup, will update in a bit.

BJT updated BJT Masterclass – 361 / Nullifying the Opposition - my Pragmatic Approach with a new update entry:

BJT Masterclass – 361 / Nullifying the Opposition - my Pragmatic Approach v2

After testing in other leagues, with less able strikers the previous version was encountering a lot of draws.

In an attempt to increase the chances of opening up the opponents one tweak to the creative freedom has been made. Instead of being in the middle, I have now increased this to "be more expressive".

This makes logical sense - imagine Ronaldo on his own up top and removing his ability to be a match winner and being too predictible when venturing forward.

This change should...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Might be good for top clubs, but definitely not for underdogs. Had a test run of 6 games with this one, lost each and every one of them, barely had 6 shots per game. The opposition usually had about 30 shots per game. Felt ridiculous.

This tactic is Insane! Just try! Clean Sheet easy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    714.2 KB · Views: 490
Might be good for top clubs, but definitely not for underdogs. Had a test run of 6 games with this one, lost each and every one of them, barely had 6 shots per game. The opposition usually had about 30 shots per game. Felt ridiculous.

I do not agree, I play for Newcastle and the results are excellent. Will try it with more underdog team.

Last edited:
That would probably make sense. When you look at the offensive roles, they all need skilled footballers perhaps more to the Mourinho Inter mould. They'd definitely need to be modified to accommodate less able sides. I'd form something with a target man, attacking mid, b2b midfielders for it to be more compatible if keeping the play slightly more direct.

Good for underdogs as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    505.7 KB · Views: 428
Heres how I am finding the tactic so far (using the first version), The friendlies were against much stronger opposition so all things considered I count those as good results. Defensively the tactic has proven to be excellent, only 3 league goals conceded in 11 games and two of those were freak own goals. Probably worth noting that Palermo are the strongest side in Serie D by a long way but on the other hand very few of my players suit the tactics roles so maybe the one balances out the other.

This is my first FM 2020 save so I am not sure if this is because of the tactic or is just more common this year but I seem to be getting a lot of penalties. My goals are spread right across the team, wing backs are getting a surprising number of goals but on the other hand the main forward rarely scores, have fiddled with the role ( hard to find someone who fits complete forward at this level) to suit whoever I have up there, The AMC also very rarely finishes on a rating above 6.7/6.8, again Id say this is probably down to the quality of player I have at my disposal. Another thing I have noticed is the games fly by, I have replays set to key only and I think in 11 games I might have seen 6 opponent highlights at most, the games thus far have been very straightforward. the couple of draws mainly down to not converting chances

Attachments

• fixturespalermo.png
    fixturespalermo.png
    249.1 KB · Views: 387
Heres how I am finding the tactic so far (using the first version), The friendlies were against much stronger opposition so all things considered I count those as good results. Defensively the tactic has proven to be excellent, only 3 league goals conceded in 11 games and two of those were freak own goals. Probably worth noting that Palermo are the strongest side in Serie D by a long way but on the other hand very few of my players suit the tactics roles so maybe the one balances out the other.

This is my first FM 2020 save so I am not sure if this is because of the tactic or is just more common this year but I seem to be getting a lot of penalties. My goals are spread right across the team, wing backs are getting a surprising number of goals but on the other hand the main forward rarely scores, have fiddled with the role ( hard to find someone who fits complete forward at this level) to suit whoever I have up there, The AMC also very rarely finishes on a rating above 6.7/6.8, again Id say this is probably down to the quality of player I have at my disposal. Another thing I have noticed is the games fly by, I have replays set to key only and I think in 11 games I might have seen 6 opponent highlights at most, the games thus far have been very straightforward. the couple of draws mainly down to not converting chances
Thanks for the feedback mate. I agree as the roles are more suited for able players and also had a suggestion for using a target man on the attack duty for a less capable side w PIs recommended. My mindset was a Mourinho Inter, letting the top players make the difference in a slogfest.

If you have a player of this nature this maybe worth a try. To get the most out the system though you do need that special player up front, because in such a defensive system if you don't have that quality front man, you'll struggle to score especially as I used the enganche for the purposes of pressuring the opponents DMC and just to create a tactic using one :) He'll never be a real direct offensive threat, so then you're relying on mezzalas and wing-backs to cause the opponents problems.

He will also get lower ratings compared to the rest for that reason, because opposing formations with a DMC will likely mark him out the game - in the same way his objective is to mark the opposing DMC.

Whether Palermo have enough talent to score enough goals using this system in a league you're expected to win I don't know - but I have a Conte 352 uploaded here which may be more suited, and it uses a DLF -S and AF-A up top which is easier to find strikers that can play these roles.

Thanks for the feedback mate. I agree as the roles are more suited for able players and also had a suggestion for using a target man on the attack duty for a less capable side w PIs recommended. My mindset was a Mourinho Inter, letting the top players make the difference in a slogfest.

If you have a player of this nature this maybe worth a try. To get the most out the system though you do need that special player up front, because in such a defensive system if you don't have that quality front man, you'll struggle to score especially as I used the enganche for the purposes of pressuring the opponents DMC and just to create a tactic using one :) He'll never be a real direct offensive threat, so then you're relying on mezzalas and wing-backs to cause the opponents problems.

He will also get lower ratings compared to the rest for that reason, because opposing formations with a DMC will likely mark him out the game - in the same way his objective is to mark the opposing DMC.

Whether Palermo have enough talent to score enough goals using this system in a league you're expected to win I don't know - but I have a Conte 352 uploaded here which may be more suited, and it uses a DLF -S and AF-A up top which is easier to find strikers that can play these roles.

Yeah that all makes sense! I think this tactic will comfortably see me winning the league, the level of opposition im playing against are struggling to create one clear chance, often they create zero, So not having a prolific striker shouldnt make too much difference at this stage

this is my tweak everything is the same except some player roles
cwbs -wb
enganche-af
cf-af

Attachments

• gm-361 md tweak.fmf
    45.5 KB · Views: 131
this is my tweak everything is the same except some player roles
cwbs -wb
enganche-af
cf-af
Nice alternative m8, I can imagine counter-attacking would be swifter without the enganche and an AF up top. Were the CWBs meant to be WBs? File has them as CWBs, but WBs may be more suited. I think this would be very suited for an underdog and for more sides in general esp @ lower levels.

Only thing I noticed is there's no one up top to hold up the ball, so it would probably work against sides coming at you and potentially harder to break down sides solely parking the bus. Also against high possession skilled teams it might be hard to stifle the flow of the game without someone holding it up. That's where a CF-A is handy if you can get hold of one, and I've recommended a target man on attack for potential use that fits the bill also..

Be nice to see some results if you get a chance.

Here we go then, full season with this tactic and I have absolutely coasted the league. It is worth noting that Palermo are the strongest team in the league by far but as I said in an earlier post very few of my players suit the roles they are being asked to play so I suppose that balances it out. The one game in the season that I did lose was 0-1 to a set piece.

Goals came from all across the team without any one player really bossing the scoring charts, I cant emphasise enough how easy this season was, I play on key highlights and the opposition often didnt even have a single highlight. I have never got through a season so quickly as the games were flying by with very few highlights, I won 8/9 games 1-0 and the games were literally over in 1/2 real life minutes. I am not sure I will continue with this tactic in a higher division, the Gulf in class between Lega Pro and Serie D is massive so I might look at training a second tactic along side this one

Attachments

• tablepalermo.png
    tablepalermo.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 237
Here we go then, full season with this tactic and I have absolutely coasted the league. It is worth noting that Palermo are the strongest team in the league by far but as I said in an earlier post very few of my players suit the roles they are being asked to play so I suppose that balances it out. The one game in the season that I did lose was 0-1 to a set piece.

Goals came from all across the team without any one player really bossing the scoring charts, I cant emphasise enough how easy this season was, I play on key highlights and the opposition often didnt even have a single highlight. I have never got through a season so quickly as the games were flying by with very few highlights, I won 8/9 games 1-0 and the games were literally over in 1/2 real life minutes. I am not sure I will continue with this tactic in a higher division, the Gulf in class between Lega Pro and Serie D is massive so I might look at training a second tactic along side this one
Thanks for the update, glad it's working exactly as intended - the 1-0's and the clean sheets :) and irrespective of player role familiarity too. How many clean sheets did you end up having in the league btw?

Indeed it will be a step up, and you'd need quality upfront to take the chances that do come your way if you use it again. Two striker systems will work better generally though for getting the goals. 352 perhaps?

Out of the 34 league games I kept a clean sheet in 25 of them!

How is the tweak doing? can you update please?

Been using v2 only when I play vs psg (I'm in ligue) and man it has been fun annoying them.
First season I lost them the ligue 1 championship cause I beat them and drawn in the. games and Lyon won league with 1 pt before them. Second season I won the cup vs them with this tactic, third saison im terrorizing them lol gotta love it

• Haha