Chapter 2- Europa Universalis

ZvKMZ.jpg

It was late May and I was in Stirling, Scotland, taking my summer break. I'd taken a walk around Loch Katrine trying to relax and take in the view, but it was hard. All I could think about was ****** Football. Transfers, finances, tactics; they swirled through my head crashing in to one another, stressing me out. I sat on the edge of Loch and looked out in to the dark, beautiful waters. The tranquility eased my mind and I let out a sigh. Suddenly, Z-Cars blasted out from my pocket. Why did I pick that ring tone? Why did I bring my phone at all? It was Bill ringing me. Ah yes, that's why...I'm a Football Manager.

"Yes?"
"Uhm, Jon? It's me Bill."
"Sorry, sorry...I was...taking a nap."
"No problem Jon, you need your rest. I thought I'd let you know though. Felli has left. We couldn't convince him. He was kind though. He felt bad I think. He liked you and your father, but in the end it's his career".
"I understand Bill, I'll get looking for a replacement. Anyway I'll be back in a week and a half".
"Good good. I hear Maria is coming to meet you with some paper work. Not much of a holiday..."
"Ha...I can't escape it. You know how it is. Hopefully I'll have all my transfer targets for you the first day I'm back"
"I look forward to it"
*beep*

I turned off my phone immediately and lay back on the grass.
Before I'd started this journey, Fellaini was a modern day legend to me. He was my "favorite" player you might say. Obviously when it came to management I rated all the lads and didn't have a favorite, but I really felt like given the chance, he could of continued to blossom at Everton.

The next day, the door rang at 10 AM and I was greeted by a 5 foot pile of folders and files with a pair of legs. Grabbing a few from the top revealed Maria, drenched by the rain and looking quite bedraggled. She smiled and walked past me.

"You didn't have to bring them in all at once...", I said
"Maybe not, but I can't be bothered going out in that rain again. Anyway, it's your fault for having so many targets"
, she replied, smiling slightly.
"Oh yeah? Sorry about that. Anyhow, make yourself at home. Coffee has just brewed. I'm going to get to work"

I organised the Folders across the the large coffee table and began reading the post-it notes on each of them. Notes from my dad and the scouting staff. Small summaries and the likes. I preferred this way than to a huge database on a computer. Maria began to update me on everything that was happening back at Goodison while she unpacked, as detailed as ever.

By the end of the week we had a list of realistic targets to hand in to Bill. It had been stressful, Bill had been right, It hadn't felt like a holiday at all. Back at Goodison I handed over the list to Bill, a long with the players who I would allow to leave if the offer came in. He studied it for a while and gave his permission.

"I trust you, Jon"

Transfers In

Tom Cairney - Hull- £2m

Dellatorre- Internacional- £2.7m

Sebastian Bassong- Tottenham- £3m

Jake Livermore- Tottenham- £3.2m

Kolbein Siggorsson- Ajax- £4.6m

Paulo Assuncao- Coritba- £1.1m

Carlos Vela- Arsenal- Loan

James Rodriguez- Porto- £1.3m

Pirim Schwegler, Frankfurt- Free

Matias Schelotto- Atalanta Free

Allan- Vasco- £2.1m

Paolo Orlandoni-Inter Milan- Free

Steven N'zonzi - Blackburn- 7m

Mohammed Abu- Free

Ivica Olic- Free

Total Spent- £34m

Transfers Out

Anton Forrester- Blackpool- £400k

Leon Osman- Bolton- £2m

Darron Gibson- Newcastle- £1m

Tony Hibbert- Fulham- £2.6m

Tim Cahill- Wolves- £1.8m

John Heitinga- Fulham- £8m

Jan Mucha- Seville- £1.4m

Maruouane Fellaini- Chelsea- £14m

Seamus Coleman- Reading- £2.5m

Total Made- £38m

It was going to be a squad revolution. I felt like I'd brought in some real talent that would help us in Europe, and enough young blood to give us a solid future. Due to my lack of experience, I felt like I'd brought too many midfielders in. The shock of losing Fellaini caused me to panic by. I hope it was the right move.

Last edited:
I love it. Gonna start a save with Everton. Love the club and rivalry with Pool

loving this! Always had a soft spot for Everton, and its a great story! good luck in Europe mate!

I think you made way too many moves and should have kept some Everton Legend around.

Good luck it might be a tough 2nd season. Everton lack of wide player is always a challenge.

Thanks again. Yeah, looking back on the transfers too many legends did go. However, hopefully I can show you that the new team has legends in the making!

Preseason coming soon.

Oh by the way. I really enjoyed reading the story. I always play with Everton in FM12 as the midfield is very strong defensively and Jelavic is a very good target man.

Ill start tonight my new save and I will try to bring certain players in. How is Scott Sinclair? Is he good at AML?

I'll be looking at Alvaro Dominguez-Mikel San Jose and James Tomkins as the team lack a young CB.

If you have the money, and want a young and amazing striker, you could always try and get Mbaye Niang from the french side Caen? everytime i get him he performs and becomes one of the best poachers in the world!

Sinclair isn't bad. But you can get better AMLs for sure. I signed him for the story, and probably wouldn't in a normal play through. In his first year he played 19 games, got 1 goal and 7 assists with a rating of 7.21.

Thanks folks. One striker really steals the show this season.

Thanks. I sold Heintenga for 15 millions, Yobo for 6.5 and Hibbert for 4.5. I really need a young CB now.

Can't wait for the update!

Pre-Season

Millwall 0 v Everton 0

My tactic for this season was once again a 433, but this time with two wingers instead of three strikers. Last season we were fantastic with our possession and dominated a lot of games, but I felt the need to give up some of this possession and work on getting important goals. The game against Millwall was simple draw. The players were getting used to the formation and tactical instructions, we looked good at the back and had a lot of shots...just couldn't finish them.

Leicester
1 v Everton 3
Kolbienn Sigorsson (2), Magaye Gueye

Good performance by the lads, and Siggy looked great up front. His mobility and deft finishing was too much for the Leicester defense.

Everton
3 v Bristol City 0
James Rodriguez, Dellatorre, Mohammed Abu

The new boys look to be settling in well, and the team seem to be bonding well. I'm looking at Jags, Baines, Rodders and Neville to help shape the new look squad.

Sheffield United 0 v Everton 2
Scott Sinclair, Matias Schelotto

Another good win against an attacking Blades side. The pace on our wingers has been a welcome change.

Everton 4 v RB Leibzig 0
Kolbeinn Sigorsson (2), Magaye Gueye
Aindri Saiku (og)

Probably our best performance in Pre-season. Dominated possession and scored 3 good goals. Siggy is looking pretty class.

LwdU2.jpg

First competitive game was coming up, also my first European Game. Euro Cup 3rd Qualifying. We were drew against Sligo Rovers from Ireland. It was to be televised and I wanted to put on a good show. Olic had been injured through preseason but had seemed sharp in the last few days training, I threw him in to the deep end and gave him a start.

Everton 8 v Sligo Rovers 0
Ivica Olic 6, Sebastian Bassong, Sylvain Distin

Well, what an introduction that was. Ivica ran riot on Sligo Rovers, his pace and technique was just too much. It was a great way to start our European campaign...and maybe send out a message to any doubters.

Sligo Rovers 0 v Everton 3
Nikica Jelavic, Conor McAleny
Kevin Kavanagh og

Through to the next round! Great performance by the boys who have obviously been dying for European football. I think we repaid the fan's patience. It was time to march on Europe and build our reputation.

Player of the Month (Euro)
Ivica Olic

3BEtO.jpg

1 appearance, 6 goals. He knows how to make an entrance. It's good to have some solid European experience up front. Lets hope he keeps his good form up.

Last edited:
August Fixtures and Results

A fantastic start to our Euro campaign had all the lads in high spirits. The new squad were blending well. It was important to keep the Everton spirit alive through any squad revolutions or changes.

Everton 1 v Manchester City 0
Ivica Olic

I can't quite believe it, but we absolutely outclassed City in this game. Their front line of Dzeko, Nasri, Aguero and Silva has so much talent, but my lads didn't seem phased by it. We out-passed them and broke down their attacks with ease. Naismith played a lovely through ball, Olic picked it up, rounded Hart and passed it in to the back of the net.

SV Ried 0 v Everton 3
Carlos Vela, Jake Livermore, Ivica Olic

Another great European performance by the lads. Olic grabbed himself a goal and two assists. It's hard to believe we signed him on a free.

Tottenham
3 v Everton 0
Sandro (2), Schelotto og

**** it Moyes. One day, one day.

Everton
3 v SV Ried 1
Jake Livermore, Steven Naismith, Ivica Olic
Thomas Faching

Through to the group stages! I always thought we had the quality to make it there, but it was going to be a real challenge now. I'd be happy with finishing second.

League Position
10th

Our league campaign hasn't really started yet. Kind of annoyed by the Tottenham result, but I have high hopes this season. I think we can improve on 7th.

Player of the Month
Jake Livermore

xI66Z.jpg

Jake has scored some important goals for us in the Europa League and has been great in the center of the midfield. He's got a bit of everything. I think he's the kind of player we've been missing.

September Fixtures

Everton 2 v Liverpool 0
Steven Naismith (Pen), Matias Schelotto

A Derby this early in the season is never good. I always preferred having a good bunch of points behind us before going in to these things, but no matter, we had a job to do.
It had been all square until the 70th minute. As a corner came in Maxi shoved Jags and the Ref flagged for a pen. Naismith stood up and hit it with power, Reina didn't have a chance. Bassong was playing at right back, and looked like he had a point to prove. Baines has been so consistent throughout the years, it's only because of injury he wasn't playing. Bassong ran down the right and floated a cross in as Schelotto cut in from the right and met the ball with this head and nestling it in to the back of the net.

It felt good. Everton have been the underdogs in the Merseyside derby for so long, but it was time to become the dominant force in the city.

Bolton 2 v Everton 0
David N'gog, Kevin Davies

Bolton had a score to settle with us. We'd beaten them three times last year and to be fair to them they deserved to win this match, we weren't on form.

Fiorentina 1 v Everton 0
Illan
Europa League

I knew it was going to be tough. Fiorentina have some quality players and there passing was perfect. Illan, the former West Ham man, scored in the second minute and then they held on.

Norwich
0 v Everton 2
Ivica Olic, Matias Schelotto
League Cup

We lost the battle for possession in this match, but what possession we did have we used wisely. The midfield were neat and tidy, we were deserved winners at the end of the day. Let's hope for a solid cup run.

Chelsea 1 v Everton 1
Matias Schelotto
Frank Lampard

Chelsea have always been a team that I enjoyed watching. Drogba was the perfect front man in my opinion, strength, pace and technique rolled in to one package. Looking at the team sheet, it was Torres starting up front who was looking to regain his form after his recent dip. While I stood in the tunnel waiting for the refs orders I heard the clicking of football boots against the solid floor and then stopped. I turned my head to see Fellaini stood next to me.

"Hello Boss"
"Ha, I'm not your boss Felli"
"No, but it's your nickname to me. It's good to see you"
"You too Felli, how are things going here?"
"Really well thanks, I'm happy"
"That's great, I'm really glad for you"

There was an uncomfortable few seconds and Fellaini shifted awkwardly.

"No hard feelings Boss. I hope you understand my decision. I love Everton FC and everything they have done for me."
"I understand, friend."

The Ref's voice echoed through the hallways
"Okay okay, Line up everyone...let's go!"

It's fair to say that Chelsea dominated the match. The players they have are amazingly talented, but our players have a lot of spirit and we manged to grab the lead and hold on. Sadly on the 90th minute, Frank Lampard took a long shot and it beat Howard. Happy with the result though.

League Position
8th

Player of the Month
Matias Schelotto

IqMTL.jpg

This guy has been on great form. Scoring goals, getting in to great positions and making assists. Really looking forward to seeing his potential.

October Fixtures and Results

Everton 3 v Litex 0
Steven Naismith, Sejad Sailovic, Sebastien Bassong

Europa

The lads seem to loving the European matches, and who can blame them. The atmosphere at Goodison was fantastic, it was a cold October evening and the hardcore fans were dancing in the stands cheering us on. Sailovic was man of the match, he bossed the midfield and got on the score sheet. Good on him.

Everton 1 v Aston Villa 0
Kolbeinn Sigorsson

This was a boring game...up until the last five minutes. It was like both teams suddenly realised they were footballers and the game sprung to life. A mad ending to the game. Jake Livermore sent in a lovely through ball and Siggy finished it well. Happy about the win, but it took us long enough.

Everton 3 v Newcastle 2
Phil Jagielka (2)
David Santon, Dedryk Boyata, Steven Taylor OG

The final whistle blew and I collapsed in my chair. That was a close run of things. We had to rely on Phil's set piece mastery to win it, but still a good win.

Everton 4 v Club Brugge 1
Matias Schelotto (3), Ivica Olic
Joseph Akapala
Europa

Four home games on the trot had turned Goodison Park into a fortress, and the atmosphere was fantastic. Matias has quickly established himself in the league and in Europe and I couldn't be happier for him. Great hattrick!

Burnley
1 v Everton 3
Phil Jagielka, James Rodriguez, Sejad Sailovic

"Alright lads. We're on a good run here, but we've been at home for the past 4 games. Remember, playing away is different...hostile. Don't let it get to you."

The lads once again impressed me, James Rodriguez scored a cracking goal that earned him MoM. Things are going really, really well.

Aston Villa 0 v Everton 1
Phil Jagielka
League Cup

Overall...not the best of performances. But a win is a win and we're on to the next round. Jags is a monster in the air.

League Position
5th

Player of the Month
Phil Jagielka

sMTOW.jpg

Finally, a defender wins Player of the Month! Not only has he been solid at the back, but he has got us some important goals from set pieces. He's obviously the next captain of Everton FC.

November Fixtures and Results

Manchester United 1 v Everton 1
Ivica Olic
Darren Fletcher

Great result at Old Trafford. Ivica Olic gave a solid performance, got the equaliser and earned Man of The Match.

Club Brugge 2 v Everton 2
Leighton Baines (pen), Matias Schelotto
Bjorn Vleminicx, Michael Almeback
Europa

Club Brugge gave us a good match at their ground. They got an early lead and it took a long time for us to break them down. Luckily Schelotto got another very important goal

Everton 3 v Arsenal 0
Ivica Olic (2)
Andre Ayew (og)

What a game! Arsenal dominated possession like expected, but we set up to get them on the counter and it paid off. Olic's pace is just sick, Arsenal's defense couldn't handle him

Wolves
0 v Everton 0

Snore. Boring 0-0.

Swansea
0 v Everton 0

See above.

Everton 2 v Stoke 1
Ivica Olic, Carlos Vela
Cameron Jerome

Taking Vela on loan was something I thought about for a while. I wasn't sure if he would fit in at Everton, but he took this opportunity to impress. He was a class act on the left wing, getting an assist and a great goal.

League Position
5th

11QZm.png

Unbeaten in two months now. Things are going very well. The performances haven't been fantastic at times, but I can't argue with the results.

Player of the Month
Ivica Olic

V4jru.jpg

Last edited:
December Fixtures and Results

Everton
2 v West Ham United 0
Matias Schelotto, James Rodriguez

A good start to what was going to be a very busy month in which we had to play 9 games. The matches were going to come thick and fast, it was a good job we had bolstered the squad.

Everton 1 v Fiorentina 1
Steven Naismith (pen)
Ilan

Good performance by the lads. We needed to avoid defeat here and we did just that. I feel we have a pretty solid chance in qualifying to the next round. Let's hope

Reading 1 v Everton 3
Sejad Sailovic, Scott Sinclair, Sebastien Bassong
Simon Church

Sinclar has found his chances limited this season, but with our busy schedule he will certainly be getting playing time. Good performance by the lad, a real team player.

Arsenal 1 v Everton 1
Jack Wilshere, Johan Djourou(og)
League Cup
Arsenal Win on Pens

Well our league cup defense has come to an end. The lads battle really hard, and it did take some luck to get it to penalties, but we didnt have enough in the tank to go all the way. Time to focus on Europe.

Everton 2 v Fulham 2
Scott Sinclair, Sebastian Bassong
Bryan Ruiz, Danny Murphy

I can already tell that the fatigue is getting the players. We did well to score our goals, both well crafted. But some tired legs in the defense allowed Fulham to exploit us. Ah well, I'll take it.

Litex 0 v Everton 2

Ivica Olic, Steven Naismith

It was a devastatingly gold night in Bulgaria. The home fans here were loud and the place was rocking. During the team talk, we could hear the footsteps of supporters pounding on the floor, causing dust to fall from the ceiling. This seemed to spur the lads on though, they refused to be intimidated and they went out and controlled the game beautifully. Olic scored a fantastic solo goal after running from the halfway line to give us the lead on 40 minutes.

West Bromich Albion 0 v Everton 2
Ivica Olic (2)

Olic has stolen the fan's hearts with his performances. He is a fantastic player, and right now it seems like the other strikers at the club are going to have to work very hard to get a game.
Everton 1 vBlackburn Rovers 0
James Rodriguez

Olic needed a rest, so it was Siggy's time to shine. He didn't get a goal but he worked hard and spearheaded the attacks. His and Rodriguez's pace was fantastic up front. Blackburn couldn't touch us.

Sunderland 2 v Everton 2
James Rodriguez, Kolbienn Sigorsson
Asamoah Gyan, Mpela

It was a shame we couldnt hang on to the win, because I thought we played really well this match and it was a good performance to end a good month. Rodriguez and Sigorsson once again worked well together to grab us some goals.

League Position
5th

GvV3N.png

Well we've manged to hold on to 5th position which is a plus. We're still missing some quality to fire us up and challenge the high positions, but I'm very very happy with the season so far.

Player of the Month

James Rodriguez

BHsBq.jpg

James has the quality to make it to the top of this game, there's no doubt it my mind. Even at this young age he is a slick customer who has a great eye for goal. Can't believe Porto let him go for £2.5m. Congratulations!