Brendan Rogers Inspired [3-4-2-1]. High Intensity Fluid Motion ::::by Artisan::: 15.3

Artisan

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER !!!
This is not an exploit tactic and you will still need the right players with the right stats to do well. Not Messi or Ronaldo, but players who have the right stats. This a tactic based off of Liverpool which is a team with technically and physically gifted players. I have not tested it with very bad teams so not sure how it would work.

I would tweak it for much weaker teams but why would anyone expect a team like Hull to play the same way Liverpool plays. No logic in that

USER DISCRETION IS ADVISED !!! :p

INTRODUCTION

Hello once again my fellow virtual managers! its that guy Artisan again here to present another tactical recreation for FM15. If you don't know by now, I am a massive fan of tactics that hope to emulate real life setups and this post wont be any different.
In case you missed my previous tactic based on the very talented Diego Simeone's Atletico Madrid, you can find it over.... here

Lets get down to business. Liverpool.... A team which personally I don't like (they think they are as good as my precious Arsenal oO)) have been doing amazingly well as of late. They lost their half man half piranha, Suarez and seemed to suffer quite a bit at the start of the season because of that. But they seemed to have bounced back in typical Liverpool second half of season resurgence.
This led me to try and recreate their tactic in FM. I struggled to get this to work at first but after some trialling, I came up with something that works quite well. So have a quick wonder through my brief test results.

TEST RESULTS
I tested this tactic with Liverpool obviously. What else where you expecting :p. I had some really amazing results with the team. It was a rather short test as I don't have much time to play the game this weekend. Watching House of Cards. The team was dominant in all fixtures and I thought it was fine to be released. Have a look see. Only conceded one goal in the league which was a penalty against Manchester City.

The main result here I guess would be the one against Manchester City. The number of times Yaya Toure lost the ball in the game made me very happy. It struggled the most against Steau oO). But was still dominant (H) I guess.

TACTICAL INSPIRATION
Brendan Rogers I hate to admit is a tactical genius. No one in the press seems to give him the credit he deserves for his tactical adaptability. When he had two quality strikers in Suarez and Sturridge, he played a Diamond formation. Now, with Balotelli being as useless as ever, he has adapted his tactic to a one man strike force 3-4-2-1 which teams have not yet been able to cope with. He is quite the genius. Plus he looks like that guy/alien from avatar :D.

View attachment 294163

I am sure I'm annoying off some Liverpool fans now. I will stop.;) No more Liverpoop abuses I promise :p.

I believe that Liverpool have the best form at the moment of any team in the Premiere League and are doing this in their typical high intensity Attacking style that we have become accustomed to with Brendan Rogers' philosophy.

Rogers favours very high tempo, possession football with a strong dislike for the route one pass. The football his team plays is amazing to watch and he is quite frankly in my opinion one of the most talented young managers in football today. He also has a very sturdy defence. The second best in the league with 11 clean sheets behind Chelski's 13.

SOURCE INFORMATION
When trying to recreate a tactic in football manager, one of the most difficult things to do is to accurately analyse how the real life team play. Good thing is I have watched a whole lot of Liverpool play and had access to some full match highlights and a few articles that helped

Tactical Analysis: Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal | Midfield exploitation, shift to a 3-4-1-2 and disappointing forwards | Outside of the Boot

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/england/premier-league/liverpool-vs-burnley

Daniel Sturridge's return suits Liverpool's 3-4-2-1 formation perfectly - This Is Anfield

TACTICAL ADAPTATION IN FOOTBALL MANAGER ENGINE
As I mentioned in my previous posts, being able to completely recreate a real life tactic in FM is almost impossible. This however I believe is the closest I have come in my time recreating tactics. Liverpool's style of play is complex in its setup yet simple in its execution.

My tactical Setup in FM is shown below:::::

As you can see, it has very high intensity passing with a lot of interchange and the ball being played on the ground. This all translates to lots of attacking flair and possession.

HOW THE FORMATION PLAYS
I usually get a lot of messages from people asking about how to play possession football. People usually assume that in order to play possession football, you need Low tempo, Retain Possession and a structured/stick to position philosophy. This is completely not true as you can see from my instructions and the match stats I am getting (Screen shots in Test results section). If you set up your team right, you can use almost any shout and still dominate possession.

PLAYER ROLES

The Ball Playing Defender will be the main outlet out of defence and would be expected to be comfortable with running with the ball if need be to free up space for the players in front of him.

The Centre backs just perform their unique roles, one of which is a stopper and the other defend. The will look to play simple passes usually to the ball playing defender or one of the midfielders.

The Wide Midfielders are very influential in both the defensive phase and the offensive phase and will provide the team with much needed width. They will act as a link between the the defenders and the attacking midfielders.

[video=youtube_share;UF7AwC9VIX4]http://youtu.be/UF7AwC9VIX4[/video]

The Box to Box Midfielder will be your industry in midfield. Just like henderson, who I am trying to emulate he will be a hardworker who will play simple passes but will sometimes look to deliver killer defence splitting passes. He will also be a threat from long range.

The Central Midfielder is the unsung hero in the team. He sits deeper and plays simple passes to more creative players. He will anchor the midfield and hardly venture forward.

The Advanced Playmaker is the creative outlet for the team and will sit in the hole between the opposition defence and midfield. He will also be skilled enough to run at defenders to create space for his striker and attacking midfielder.

The Attacking Midfielder will look to make runs into the box and be another body for opposition defenders to worry about. He will also need to be skillfull enough to beat defenders.

[video=youtube_share;E3oynKaJvnw]http://youtu.be/E3oynKaJvnw[/video]​

The Advanced forward has no specific individual instructions and will simply look to score goals and also fashion chances for other players around him.

PRESEASON TRAINING
View attachment 294159
General training is kept on balanced with very high intensity and match preparation is kept on the highest level for match tactics only. No specific match training for individual matches.

DURING THE SEASON
View attachment 294158
This setting should be used about three days before the first competitive game of the season. General training is kept on balanced with high intensity and match preparation is kept on the second lowest level. The main focus for the match preparation is not very important as you will gear it directly towards the opposition.

So for matches where you are the favourites or stronger team, you use attacking movement and when you are the weaker team defensive positioning. You can see this in effect on the screenshot where against Everton away I went defensive and the weaker teams attacking.

EXTRA INFORMATION & TIPS
1. Match Preparation: Please be more conservative when selecting match preparation for away games.

2. Formation Fluidity: Load the german league as unplayable along with the league you want to play in and make sure you choose the start data as June to coincide with the start of the German league. This allows you to get an extra month to get your team familiar with the tactic.

3. Team Talks: There are many threads about team talks so google and this forum are your friends. Team talks are very important so try to understand how they work

4. Improving your Odds: At the start of every season, you have the chance to select the teams collective bonus for their final placement in all competitions. Setting this to the highest level will keep the morale of your players high.If you are worried about how much you will have to shell out at the end then I have a little tip for you. The lower you transfer budget, the lower the squad payout. So edit your budget to increase wages and reduce transfer budget.

5. Keep Players Happy: Tip 5 helps with this but also making sure all your players get some first team football is advisable. Use your rotation and backup players in cup games and rest first team players to keep morale high across the board

6. Team Cohesion: If you sign a lot of players for the first team then tactical fluidity and cohesiveness will suffer. This is something to keep in mind. You can train team cohesion for about a months period after all players have been signed to help with this issue.

*** Hope you guys enjoy the tactic and would love some feedback and I know more Testing is needed***

View attachment 294157

Always refreshing to see a new formation posted by a great tactician!

Will give it a shot with a mid-table Premier League side. Just not sure which club to go for yet. Hmm.

Always refreshing to see a new formation posted by a great tactician!

Will give it a shot with a mid-table Premier League side. Just not sure which club to go for yet. Hmm.

Thanks. But make sure either you pick a team with the right players or buy the right players. Pace is necessary for the three most advanced players

Cor! Two Artisan tactics in one week... It's like Christmas!
This looks brilliant, and I'll give it a shot as soon as I finish a season with your Diego Simeone tactic.

I've been wondering what your thoughts are on the 'impossible-to-recreate-in-fm' Mourinho modern Chelsea hybrid 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 tactic. Can it be done? As of one the greatest talents in FM tactic creation, I'd love to have your input on the matter.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have to say Artisan i'm very impressed with your tactic after playing simply 4 games...i'll update more once i've played more games...the build up play and domination is great to watch...

quick question...who do you have taking corners...many threads around here suggest RB LB but obviously this cannot be done??

Cor! Two Artisan tactics in one week... It's like Christmas!
This looks brilliant, and I'll give it a shot as soon as I finish a season with your Diego Simeone tactic.

I've been wondering what your thoughts are on the 'impossible-to-recreate-in-fm' Mourinho modern Chelsea hybrid 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 tactic. Can it be done? As of one the greatest talents in FM tactic creation, I'd love to have your input on the matter.

Cheers!

Haha. Im blushing with all the compliments. I think mourinho's style would be difficult to recreate because of how his team plays
Might look into that depending on how i can get it to work

I have to say Artisan i'm very impressed with your tactic after playing simply 4 games...i'll update more once i've played more games...the build up play and domination is great to watch...

quick question...who do you have taking corners...many threads around here suggest RB LB but obviously this cannot be done??

I pretty much usually leave my corner tactics to default as I don't want the tactics success to be based off set pieces. Really cant help you with that one. I am sure some gurus on here have figured out set pieces

I pretty much usually leave my corner tactics to default as I don't want the tactics success to be based off set pieces. Really cant help you with that one. I am sure some gurus on here have figured out set pieces

Oh no mate I was simply asking do you just use your best corner kicker taker for corners...thats all? ATM the tactic certainly doesn't need an exploit ;)

Oh no mate I was simply asking do you just use your best corner kicker taker for corners...thats all? ATM the tactic certainly doesn't need an exploit ;)

Yh just leave it to your best corner taker. I cant remember scoring too many though. Happy you are liking the tactic though :wub:

Yh just leave it to your best corner taker. I cant remember scoring too many though. Happy you are liking the tactic though :wub:

****, shoulda told him your keepers take it :)

Liverpool haven't scored a goal from a corner in the league this season, so you'll have to try and come up with the worst set piece you can!

First friendly, against Nacional, won 9-0. They aren't a bad side, about Championship level. I'm playing with LFC.

Liverpool haven't scored a goal from a corner in the league this season, so you'll have to try and come up with the worst set piece you can!

First friendly, against Nacional, won 9-0. They aren't a bad side, about Championship level. I'm playing with LFC.

lol. Liverpool really are terrible from set pieces. Great first result :wub:.

As promised Artisan...Here are SS from a Seville save I plugged your tactic into and I have to say i'm reasonably pleased:

View image: Schedule Senior Fixtures 8

I think all wins were fully deserved and all losses were deserved too but not necessarily the tactics fault in anyway shape or form! e.g. The 4-2 loss away to Barca I was expecting...the loss to St E was due to a zillion players being out injured (A problem SI need to hot fix quick as it's a massive issue with this patch!)...same issue with the draw to Standard...and the draw away at Celta was just bad luck...

I'd love to see how the tactic consistantly performs with a better team as I believe it certainly has potential to be a cracker!!! I already see glimpses (Of a great tactic!) with my Seville team especially the inter-play between the 3 forwards and the wide midfielders...

Keep us updated if you believe you can better this beta tactic...(Now that was a mouthful,ha!)

As promised Artisan...Here are SS from a Seville save I plugged your tactic into and I have to say i'm reasonably pleased:

View image: Schedule Senior Fixtures 8

I think all wins were fully deserved and all losses were deserved too but not necessarily the tactics fault in anyway shape or form! e.g. The 4-2 loss away to Barca I was expecting...the loss to St E was due to a zillion players being out injured (A problem SI need to hot fix quick as it's a massive issue with this patch!)...same issue with the draw to Standard...and the draw away at Celta was just bad luck...

I'd love to see how the tactic consistantly performs with a better team as I believe it certainly has potential to be a cracker!!! I already see glimpses (Of a great tactic!) with my Seville team especially the inter-play between the 3 forwards and the wide midfielders...

Keep us updated if you believe you can better this beta tactic...(Now that was a mouthful,ha!)

Thanks for the feedback dude. Will see if anything can be tweaked when I have more time to play

This is just the tactic I have been looking for.Will try it with Leeds when I get them to be more than a mid table Premier League team. :p