Bringing Back the Dynamo Days...Colne FC

Reaction score
A life's Obsession...

For all my 25 years football has always held the biggest place in my life. From the age I could go with my mum or uncle to Turf Moor and watch my team Burnley, or sit up and watch football on tv ti's been my biggest passion. At primary school i was constantly setting up games in the playground. Pretending to be Burnley or England stars, that was my dream even from a young age to be a footballer. I dreamed of making it and being taken on by a premier league club or Burnley and putting on the claret and blue. To be a footballer was my ultimate wish in life.

I played when ever I could, for the school team, for a spate of local youth teams, when not doing that i was either kicking a ball about with my mates or on my own. Even chilling out at home meant watching football on the tv, or playing the latest Fifa game or premier manager on my old grey playstation.

As I got older the enthusiasm didn't die. Primary football turned into high school and the little grey playstation became a black ps2. I'd still play football as much as I could, despite finding that girls and booze were as fun to chase as a football!. I was by no means the ronaldo of the school, But my sheer determination and enthusiasm for the game ensured I got my place year after year. I think if I would have had a career in football it would have been as a mix between tevez and gattuso. I made up for not having great silky dribbling with the fact that I'd run my **** off the whole game, even taking knocks wouldn't dent my gusto. I was also went about winning the ball back in the same vein and could give as good as I got usually better, which lead to me getting in trouble more than a few times. It was one of these hot headed moments that changed my passion for football and my life as it happened.

I had been picked to start in a match against our neighbouring school and heated rivals. Like everywhere locals schools hold up a rivalry in sports, all out of school with lads thinking they had something to prove setting up fights. I didn't bother with being the **** of Colne, trying to keep up a rep like that is more trouble than it's worth a lesson I'd learned from my older brothers. But when it came to football I was well up for the ruck. I'd been stuck in midfeild because of my terrier like approach to the game from there I could hound and close down their midfielders and not give them a chance to breath. Being a goal down they're frustrations boiled over as shadowed a cente mid as he made to run for the box and a shot on goal. But I was stuck to him like **** on a blanket contantly nipping try to getting the ball or unbalance him if not. True to form any player coming into midfeild i'd not given a chance to draw a breath and i wasn't letting up now. Then as I dug deep to match his pace and draw level his elbow swung round and smashed into my face. Immediately the whistle blew up, the lad stopped his run put his arms up and sulkily turned muttering his protests. He as far as "Aw come o.." before I swung and smacked him to make sure we'd have matching faces. Naturally I was sent for an early shower after getting the cut above my eye looked at. Mr Meadows was not happy thanks to being a man like we'd not only let slip the one goal lead we had but shipped another losing 2-1. " You want to act like a big kid you can train with them". And for two weeks I trained with the first years

The punishment that mr Meadows had intended the training to be in fact turn out to be something I enjoyed wholeheartedly. Helping to improve the younger lads skills seem to be something I had a talent for even more so than playing. Helping set up the training routines and seeing it pay off when it sank in and they learned make triangles and pass it about was a great feeling. So when I saw a poster in school for an after school football school for under 10s that also were looking for lads up to 16 to lend a hand I was interested. It was something different to do with my time and it was free for the lads helping out so I had nothing to lose. That was when my passion for football changed....Instead of my dream of becoming a pro player, My new wish was to become a great coach...........

Last edited:
Starting on the road...

After school I set about acheiving my aims. I started a sports coaching course traveling to preston. It made me a better coach but I was teaching various sports not just football. After my first year I also took a course for my level 1 coaching badges.That meant that once I finished the sports coaching course I could start coaching at youth level. In my second year of my sport coaching course i gained experience helping to coach at Barrowford celtic a local youth team there i cut my teeth as a coach. I was a great feeling when i could go along and watch the matchs and see the things we we instilling in these youngsters paying off on the pitch.After that year i had my sportscoaching qualifications, I was 18. I jumped back into football full time going for my level 2 coaching badges. The course lasted 6 months and meant that I could now coach at amateur teams. While doing that i stayed on at Barrowford Celtic and watched them finish a respectable place in their league.

So I had finished my level 2 and also finished my accident and emergency and child protection courses.I was still 18 but ready to take the next big step my level coaching badges or the UEFA B License. Although young I'd drawn praise for my dedication and work ethic. I needed a team to coach at and wanted to take the step up to an amateur team. It didn't take long I'd already been ringing around and had good references from Barrowford Celtic and from taking my badges. I'd been making contacts locally and had a few teams who were willing to take on a coach especially if he was working for free!. I decided after some thought that I was too young, and so worked at Earby FC a local Amatuers team for a year, and then commenced with my level 3 badges.

It was a good two years which taught me coaching with big lads instead of little ones. It was good experience some didn't want to listen to some young streak of **** barely into shaving as they saw it probably. But they came around quite quickly it didn't help that I was a Colne lad though!. But I thought the harder the job the better training it would be in the long run. The tougher a job is the mor eyou learn is how i saw it. In my spare time i wrote letters to managers getting advice and as many tips and inspiration as I can get. I talked to local grassroots managers, to league club and even some premier league coachs. Great moments for me were having correspondence with Jimmy Mullen and Stan Ternent both managers who did great things for Burnley and who I admired greatly.

Finally I got my level 3 badges! with it I was a fully fledged coach!. But I dreamed of being a manager but not only that...I had a crazy dream of becoming the youngest ever coach in the football league..People said get a steady coaching job and some years behind you before you go for your level 4. But I wanted to go for it as crazy as it sounds i thought I wanted to at least try, Anyway the experience will come along the way...I was 20 when I went to apply for my level 4 badges this ment i could coach at pretty much any level and even manage if I wanted by the time I gained it I would be 22 an incredible acheivement. To get more experience and gain more knowledge I took the step to move from home. It would be hard but it was a lesson i should learn moving could be part and parcel of football...

While I took my level four I spent 2 years in liverpool partly because after Burnley it was another club I admired. I took a room in a shared house in Anfeild, literally round the corner from Anfeild and on the other side of stanley park was Liverpools other great club Everton and Goodison park. My time there was great I enjoyed it, when I had the money saved up I would que up and watch liverpool play and even went to Goodison to watch the Derby. I offered my service to a number of local teams offering to help with train for free if I had to. I first helped on at Widnes fc in their local league. Then hit lucky and spent a year coaching at Bootle who were playing North west counties div 2 having not long been elected. That was a great time for me as I was a step up from where I managed to talk myself into before. That year stood me in good stead and gave me something more creadible to put on my c.v. I had a choice with other clubs willing to give me a chance now with Runcorn Town aslo prepared to let me help with training routines. But I decided to stick with Bootle for my second year, it was a club that had managed to get elected back in the NW counties. And it felt as though I was contrubuting to something good there. After my second year I decided to head out for pasture new. I could help but smile when I heard that they won the league in the 2008/9 and gain promotion to the NW counites premier.

So there it was I had my UEFA A License that ment that I could coach at a professional level club. But It wasn't that easy I was still 22 a baby in coaching terms. I had a few teams on my c.v. of most note Bootle where I'd had a small coaching role. Even from a young age I'd routed out contacts and links. In football you can't get too far without knowing some people in the buisness. I now kicked that into overgear while deciding what my next move was...

So 2008 was going to be a big year for me was I going to stay in liverpool?, maybe move back home, or move someplace new. I'd used the rest other last year getting numbers for various agents and coaches based in liverpool. I'd decided to move on now Liverpool had been good to me but I wanted to work from a base in lancashire. A dream would be some kind of coaching role at Burnley, but If I even had a hope at that I would have to catch the eye by coaching i the area...

So I returned Home and got straight to finding a new positon. I spend the first few months bending Nigel Coates's ear to let me lend a hand to train there. He was good enough to give me a place although not officially. I also split my time with local rivals Nelson who took me in for a time. But I wanted somewhere I'd be able to stand out more or gain a proper place. Finally a team saw past the age and gave me a shot and allowed me to put some ideas into place. I went to Padiham where I was a bigger part of the coaching set up still behind the rest of the staff. I never the less helped put the lads through their paces and gave them some tips on new training schedules. I was a proud moment for me as the hard work seem to pay off. Padiham gained promotion from the newly name NW Counties Div 1 to the Premier. What A feeling to celebrate with a team that has won promotion, albeit I was a junior member of the staff really, I like to think me improving the teams fitness had something to do with it!. I also couldn't help but smile to myself as old friends Bootle beat us to the league title by 7 points. I sent a message to the manager and some of the lad to congratulate them.

I stayed on at Padiham another year we achieved a applaudable 10th place in our first season. Bootle went from good to great ending up in 3rd place in their first season. Colne improve last seasons 18th place I noticed getting 3rd, but Nelson still struggled scapping in the end and gaining 17th place the exact same as last year.

The next year Nelson were thought to be about to approach me to take a more senior coaching role. But money trouble lent to them resigning from the North west counties that season. Newly promoted Barnoldswick also offered me place on their team. Being bitter rivals to Colne I refused. And elected to stay at Padiham a 3rd year, my loyalty earned me more responsabilty. I gained more time to train the lads myself and my input in tactics and training schedules was increased. It was a even better year for Padiham we finished above my old friends Bootle this time finishing an incredible 4th in our second season. Even I gained some of the plaudits as a promising young coach. We even pipped local rivals Colne to 4th by goal difference of 3.

Then something amazing happened.........

Last edited:
Colne Times
Today saw the shock departure of Colne FC stalwart Nigel Coates. Coates has decided to
retire after managing the club since 2005. "Its with a heavy heart I leave this club, but I
think the time is right now to let somebody else with fresh eyes have a go." A former
Colne dynamos player he was part of the FA Vase winning team of 88, as they made it to the top of the non league. It is said he is looking to retire from football completely or least take a break
for a while. " I'll see how long I can live without football!. I'm gonna to take a break for sure
then after that who knows.." Colne Chairman Dave Blacklock is so far keeping tight lipped
about possible replacements. "We got some ideas, and will listen to applications. It's going
to be hard to replace Nigel, he did a fantastic job here. We wish him all the best."
View attachment 226099

Coates says farewell

Last edited:
It not the chances you get,its the ones you take....

Word got to me quickly, I didn't even need a second thought I knew what i was doing...

Showering getting into a clean neat tracksuit i grabbed my phone and jumped in my car. I rang Nigel first I'd talked to him a few times and had his number from my short stint in training with the colne lads. He confirmed what I already knew, and told me his reasons I wished him all the best. He gave me his best wishs and said good luck he knew I was going to have a shot at the job.

After a phone call to Dave Blacklock I managed to arrange a meet up to talk with him. He was as good as his word we meet at a local pub in Colne. The tracksuit I thought would be fine, after all it wasn't some league job and we wern't meeting in some fancy restraunt. It's wasn't about what flash clothes i could pull on, it was what ideas I had, what qualifictions and experience did I bring?. Basically I told him all what you know, the badges, the teams I've coached at. But I told him I had other things going for me. You didn't just have to look at my age as a bad thing, for one it would bring publisity. Which is good for a small club like Colne gets the name around.I was a local boy too it couldn't be better the headlines write themselves... The way I saw the more people were monitoring what Colne were doing the better. Plus I had contacts not loads but enough to get word on players desparate for games. Now I could use the contacts if I got the job that is, before that I hadn't been able to act, so had just built bridges learnt things. If some money could be put in the club I would put everything into getting it up to the next level and beyond. I wouldn't need megabucks just enough to pay for a few wages. With a new 3000 capasity stadium in the pipeline that would make this club Conefence premier ready. That would bring investment, even more so if the club has made a rise through the leagues and is playing well. And the fact that Colne is a small town shouldn't put you off get the results and play the kind of football people want to watch and he fans will come.

I gave him all my ideas some possible targets were he able to muster the funds and basically sold my plan as though my life not a job was on the line. This was my shot, it might only be Colne but it would be a team, and my team if I got the Jo. I could use all my ideas shape a team how I saw fit. That was what I was seeing not just the nature of the team as it stands now..

Well I'd been able to have my say. Dave wasn't giving anything away, he picked up the tab and left with a prize winning pokerface. Now all that's left to do is wait....

Last edited:
this is an incredible story soooooooooooooooo good

Back of the net....

A couple of week later I got a call from Dave. " Hi Andy you ok to meet up I've got something to discuss with you, same place?". Making my way to the pub I thought about what this ment, I'd go thte job! it had to be why would we be meeting again.Though it could just be something else maybe a coaching role under the real managing target. I'd just have to go find out no use winding myself up about it.

I sat down at the table he'd picked, he was still not giving much away and made small talk first. The ******* was keeping me in suspense!, just tell me what the **** this is about! I thought. I'd kept my manner level not giving much away myself, but the tension must have hummed in the air, because he smile and finally spilled it...

"I've decided to give you the job Andy" There it was I hadn't wanted to get my hopes up but here was my first job as a manager!. "Now I choose you because you actually seem to know what your talking about. Also your a local lad so know the history of the club and Colne in football. Also you know how much work Nigel put into this club and I know you'll work your **** off to make this club an even biggger success" I felt pride well up as he told me he'd checked up on me and used the references I'd given, all had given glowing accounts of my work ethic and passion. "Now I'll arrange a tour with you to go over what kind of contract you'll be getting and to tour the facilities. You'll also be able to ask any questions then and we'll outline what goals you want to set for the new season. I'm going to have to shoot off now, I've go somewhere to be. I just wanted to give you the good news and let it sink in".

"Thanks Dave I won't let you or the club down, thanks for giving me this chance I'll make the most of it you don't need to worry about that!" I said on leaving. This was going to take some time to sink in I was going to be manager of a football team at 25!. Granted it wasn't liverpool or united but how many people could say that.. I couldn't take too long getting my head round this I had an stupid amount of work to do if I was going to pull off what I wanted to achieve at this club.

This was it I had to get my **** in gear I was a manager now better start acting like one.....

9 to 5 this ain't...

Life was a blur that next couple of weeks, from going to sign my contract a two year deal. The money wasn't great but it wasn't about that really plus money would improve with success so that would take care of itself in time. I been round the ground and training facilities, it wasn't the best but I was used to working at this level so it wasn't a shock to me. I'd took a look at the squad it was ok and hadn't done too bad, but I had big plans these players probably wouldn't cut it at a higher level. I had to be ruthless, it was hard but I told most of the lads they wouldn't have a place in my plans..they were local lads most and it hurt but I had to think of where this club was going..

My life had been moving along in other areas...I had meet a beautiful girl in Padiham(another amazing feat some of my mates joked!) in my time coaching there and now we had a little girl growing up fast she was only 5 months old. It was hard trying to juggle the two things trying to made good on all the promises I'd made and being a good dad but I did my best.

I got word from Dave it was to be announced to the local press that I'd been appointed as manager. The spotlight albeit only the local media would soon be on me....

Colne Times
Colne today announced the appointment of the new reds manager...Andrew Monaghan. The 25 year old becomes the youngest ever Colne boss , and also the youngest boss the the North West Counties Premier. The young boss has being settling in at the Holt house but is entirely comfortable here at Colne.
" I've lived here most of my life so there no problem settling in. It's been keeping me busy but I've plenty to inspire me here Colne has a great history" Andrew said.

When ask about his relative inexperience of managment Monaghan responded with a grin "Well It may be my first management role but I've been working hard since high school!. I knew what I wanted to do from a young age and go straight to it. I have all the badges, but not only that I have experience of working as part of a club set up at this level." Monaghan has been part of the the back staff at Padiham and Bootle both clubs who are now well established NW Counties premier teams.

He also had this to say.

"I know The history of Colne in football, From the Colne dynamo days when they were so close to becoming a league club and scooping the FA Vase. And also Colne FC's success in winning the old Division 2 and getting into this league, also their amazing cup run in the FA vase beating teams like AFC Wimbledon to reach the semi finals. I want to bring real success to Colne and build on the fantastic work Nigel Coates did at this club. I ask the fans to get behind their team, and I will be doing my upmost to repay the faith shown by the chairman Dave Blacklock"

Building my squad

There was a lot to do the staff had gone along with Nigel so that ment finding my own. But first i had to build my own Colne Team. This was going to be a complete overhaul so I had my work cut out. First was a trip up North to find my Captain...

View attachment 226169
Willie Boland was my choice At 36 he was no spring chicken, but had tons of experience from the top tier of england and throughout the football league. He also still had enough skill to cut it especially at this level would be able to teach younger players a lot. I'd been able to steal him away from Guisborough after they lost their manager and his future at the club was thrown into doubt.

I followed this by poaching more players who were playing on a non contract basis at current clubs.

View attachment 226171
Another older head the 31 year old fullback could be usefull and provides experience in defence.
View attachment 226172
A key player in my plans. Plucked from Shildon Jamie had great experience of non league playing for Gateshead. A skilled winger at this level would provide the ammo from the right wing.

View attachment 226174

Following Jamie from Shildon. Ross was a skilled and flexible midfielder.had a great fooball education at Newcastle, and great experience playing for Notts Forrest,Port Vale and Eastwood. Can play in the middle or on the right wing.

View attachment 226175
Another veteran player Forrester has played at more clubs than I've had hot dinners all across the english leagues and even France and Holland. Will make a great player for a skilled poacher to play off, and could teach a great deal to the younger strikers. Took some convincing to leave his Player/*** manager role at Lincoln Moorlands.

View attachment 226176
Another experienced fullback took from Croydon. Will be a usefull squad member.

I had some experienced players now I needed some young players who were looking for football.
View attachment 226177
Young LB released by Port Vale heard about him while up North chasing Willie Boland. Could have a bright future at Colne.

View attachment 226178
Another key player in my masterplan. Heard about this player from a scout in Ireland.Released by Bohemians despite an ok loan spell at Shelbourne. With Shelborne not following up their interest he decided to make a move to England to gain some experience here. A very skilled young lad should bag a shedload of Goals for the team.

Great start but I really wasn't sure about the Colne lads I had left they just wern't picking up on what I was teaching them. I needed to carry on the search for more players. Especially after an inter squad friendly led to the reserves winning. The remaining lads just couldn't gel with the new lads. Time to role up my sleaves and carry on the search...

Finishing the Jigsaw....
Looking at my team sheet I still could see huges holes in my teamsheet. I needed to draft in some more players to assault this league and make a quick getaway. Time to get my del boy hat on and do some wheelin n' dealin...

Goalkeepers:
View attachment 227113

Learnt his trade at West Brom and Aberdeen. Had a loan spell at Peterhead,before being released the season after. Good young keeping prospect.

View attachment 227117

A friend from my time in liverpool told me of this young keeper. Oldfeild had a great education at Liverpool's academy. He was then moved on to Rochdale, it was only a short time before he was again moved along, this time to Bangor city. Unable to settle in bangor it was another short stay, and he was on the lookout for a new club to regain his confidence.

Defenders:

View attachment 227118

Another Scottish recruit a former Queen of the South youth. Talented young defender can play either CB or RB, Key part of my plans this season.

View attachment 227119
LB Sean Pike alerted me to this player. Also am ex Port Vale trainee,will likely partner Dougan as CB, but can play as LB too.

View attachment 227123
Another talent taken form the emerald isle.Ex Limerick youngster has great pace good RB prospect.

And providing depth:
Luke Garton- Ex Derby youth Cover and rival for Roche's RB space.
Bilal **** - Former Brentford trainee.Cover for CB
Dom Bates - Another CB cover former Alrincham reserve.
Joe Jennings- Young welsh lad given a chance

Midfielders :
View attachment 227124
Experienced winger for the left flank. Has plenty of experience to share with games for Barnet in ther league and non league with club such as St Albans and Kings Lynn.

View attachment 227128
Toms has competition for the left wing place in the shape of French. An ex Brighton youth, played in the non league on being released for Burgess Hill and Bognor Regis. Wanting to show what he can do after failing to live upto expectation at his two former clubs.

View attachment 227130
Share comes in as main right winger Harwood's understudy. A fellow trainee of Sean Pike his was anotther player without a club he pointed in Colnes direction. With familiar faces already at the club it was an easier choice to travel to Colne.

View attachment 227131
A real coup for this small club. The former Rangers youth was being considered by Stenhousemuir,East Fife and Fleetwood Town. An early shout the quickest journey the Scotland I think anybody has every made, and more promises and assurances than a political broadcast. Somehow I got his name on the dotted line and he could be a key figure for a few seasons to come.

And to add a bit of depth

Sean law- former Carlisle youth cover for CM.
Stephen Cooney- Ex Oldham trainee another cover for CM
Grant Rentwick- Talented Scottish youngster plays on right wing, making colne his first senior club.

Strikers:

View attachment 227137
I expect Lee to be an excellant poacher at this level. Has lot of experience playing through the Irish leagues.The 27 year old should be able to teach the youger Marc Hughes a lot. Played for amost others Shelborne,Kilkenny Longford and funnily enough Monaghan Utd!. I'll take that as a good omen for this season.

View attachment 227140
Purser brings a wealth of experience to the team. learning at QPR, he the went on to play for the likes of Barnet,leyton Orient and peterborough. Also has vast non league knowledge with spells at the likes of Weymouth, Cambridge and Eastleigh. A flexible forward can play either role up front for us.

View attachment 227143
Garry a 23 year old former tranmere reserve will mainly serve as deep laying forward cover. But being flexible player could shift to a centre mid role if the need arose. If he proves himself he could take over form Forrester when the veteran hangs his boots up.

I'm just getting warmed up...

It was a great feeling to be finally underway.Even though it was only pre-season friendlies, I was leading my team out for the first time!. Although not the be and end all of a year, a good pre-season would provide a confidence boost for the coming season. Mainly though it was about getting the lads match fit and putting lessons into practice on the pitch. I had also brought together a lot of players in a short time, with only the three Port Vale lads recently playing together,and Toms and Purser and both meet before at Barnet. I still had to get them all to gel and work together as a close unit.

It was also a new backstaff at Colne. I'd brought Martin Myers as my number 2. The veteran non-league player had left Tipton and thought it time to hang up his boots. He was pretty knowledgeable and was willing to work for a small wage which is all I could afford for my staff. The rest of the staff Peter Mitchell the coach, Brett Whittaker the fitness coach and Steve Morton the new scout, were all just starting their backstaff careers. They were all willing to put the work in to get us up to scratch and again willing to work for peanuts.

So everything was in place, now just to get Pre-season out of the way so we can get the league campaign underway....

Pre-season Review

View attachment 227178
The first test was against higher league opposition Northen Div league 1 West Auckland. After going behind the team made a great fight back. A leveller from veteran winger Toms the reward just before half time. The team didn't let up and the pressure showed with Auckland picking up a red card. Young winger Share left it till late to put in the last minute winner. A good start. MOM-Toms

View attachment 227179
scottish semi-pros Threave were next. A great performance which saw Toms get a brace for 3 in 2 games. especially pleasure though was the 2 goals from young striker Hughes. MOM - Toms

View attachment 227180
The best match yet against North East Counties prem Staverly.Highlights a brace from CB Copeland. And striker Garry and Lee both got off the mark for Colne. MOM- Copeland

View attachment 227181
The NE counties tour continued with Parkgate. Made it harder work this time. Keeper Batemans own goal a low point.Veteran striker Purser came up with the winner tho to make it a happy trip home. MOM- Lee

View attachment 227182
Back home we hosted welsh club hollywell. A good win with the bonus of a clean sheet. Gardner and war horse Forrester getting his due reward of his first Colne goal.
MOM-Forrester

View attachment 227183
A game that was mostly great. Hughes put in a wonderful shift and bagged a brace. Then near the later part we took our foot off the gas and it cost us. 2 goals on 74 and 83 mins meant that we had to share the honours. MOM- Hughes

So all in all a good pre-season, it showed that the work was paying off. We were scoring goals we just had to guard against becoming complacent, as we'd shipped goals after letting up in the game. If we carry on the good work though I can't see why this can't be a very good season for Colne...

It Begins..

So August is finally here now we get down to the real football. Time to see whether the players have took in what you've tried to instill in them. This is where it counts the league games before all the cup ties begin. A chance to set out your stall and state your ambitions for the season ahead....

View attachment 227278
A 38 mile trip to Flixton was first on the cards. We couldn't of had a better start to the season. Pre-season performers Toms and Hughes were in formidable form, Each getting 2 goals each. MOM- Toms

And here it my first league game at Holt House. The gate were at 198 for today not too bad for this level really but I was hoping to build on that if we could continue with results like at Flixton. In the changing room I didn't need to make any real grand speech.I told them they knew what they had to do, And that I wanted our first Home game to start as we meant to go on with a win...

View attachment 227279
Well the lads duly delivered and gave the home fans a real treat!. Jamie Garry started it off on his debut. stirling then grabbed the goal of the match with a thunderbolt from outside the D. A real goal of the season contender for sure. Both wingers were amazing, Harwood getting a brace and toms putting the final nail in the coffin. MOM- Harwood

I thought the I'd done my Harry Redknapp routine then another player came on my radar...

View attachment 227281
Kurakins played in the Latvian league before being scouted by Celtic. He spent a year at celtic with a loan spell at Brechin. The following year saw him move on a free to stranraer. He has also picked up 5 U21 caps for latvia. Now a free agent and with sean Pike picking up an injury I felt I just had to go in for this player. But with Aldershot also believed to have made a bid too.. I'll have to hope i really sold this Counties league club...

View attachment 227282
Another win on the road. With another great performence from Harwood. He's quickly becoming a big player for this team. Chipping in with the opener, Lee then got his first league goal with the second. Am Ashton goal on 76 mins meant we couldn't relax, But we recovered and held on for 3 points.

Aldershot backtrack on their bid so Kurakins has made Holt House his home!...

View attachment 227283
Another home game and a crowd of 232 this time. The crowd were starting to warm to me a bit, they still wern't 100% on side yet. Nigel Coates was a big part of Colne for a long time..So I had to be patient and let the team and the results do the talking for now. The game started with a bang Hughes scoring the NW counties prem's fastest ever goal on 22 seconds!! Harwood again just didn't let up and got another goal. Conceding again in the second half made this an highly flattering result for St Helens. We should have scored about ten today not through poor finishing just sheer bad luck. But a win is a win.

View attachment 227284
Last game of the month. Luck deserted us again as Hughes scored another... Then a wicked deflected own goal off Copeland levelled it... A scamble to get the winner left us just falling short. MOM- Hughes

August draws to a close and to honest even with a few niggles in some matchs this has still been an excellant month. We finish it top of the table on goal difference, due to rivals Barnoldswicks fine form who are 2nd. The players are really starting to gel and personalities are starting to show through. So far it been a good start for Colne. September though is where the cup ties start to come thick and fast.. Can we keep up the pace with the increased workload?....

Last edited:
A rewarding first month

As we entered september our play in August was rewarded. The player and manager of the month awards had been announced. Fraser Toms scooped the player of the month award for his tireless work in every game of August, also chpping in with 3 goals. Our wing play had been outstanding as seen by Jamie Harwood getting the runner up nod.

With Barnoldswicks fine form I had to settle for the runner up spot in the manager of the month,So Ben hall took home that prize. I wasn't too bitter we had a great month, were top of the league, and I was proud to see two of the lads getting the player of the month plaudits. I gathered all the lads together and presented Fraser with his award, The cheeky bastards gave me a wooden spoon!. They had heard about me getting runner up for the manager award and decided to give me some consolation prize...It was good to see the lads were getting on and could have a laugh with each other.

I was getting the sense the team was really starting to play for each other and the team spirit was building week by week. It was time to crack on and see what september brings..

September Review

View attachment 228336
The first match of the season saw me welcome some old friends to Holt House. For me it was a happy reunion at least, as we picked up a solid home win. Roche and lee providing the two goals. Also pleasing was the solid defending on show in this match.MOM- Kurakins making his mark at LB

View attachment 228337
The first of our derby games with Barnoldswick.Without nelson to play this season I thought the crowd would be bigger. The result felt sweet all the same. Hughes played a blinder getting a hat-trick. Sean law put the icing on the cake with the fourth coming off the bench.MOM-A hat trick in a derby who else is it going be!?

View attachment 228338
Even though we got all three points I was still a little dissapointed our swintching off in defence had returned. On a positive not Forrester bagged his first league goal for the club.MOM-Forrester the old lad had a blinder in this match.

View attachment 228339
Another former team I've come back to haunt..And another local rival we have bragging rights over. Still it was sad seeing padiham struggle this year and after this defeat they were dangerously close to the drop zone. So mixed emotions for me on this day. MOM- Toms-Was a constant worry for Padihams defence just never let up on them.

View attachment 228340
My first cup tie as Colne boss couldn't have gone better. Wessex league premier Bemerton heath were taught a footballing lesson today at Holt House. The experienced strike pairing of Purser and lee ripped them to shreds. Purser bagged an unbeleivable 5 goals and also set up both of Lee's 2 goals. MOM- Purser- Had the game of his life today everything he touched turned 24 caret.

An incredible month the team was really getting it together now and building up a steam roller pace. I celebrated with the lads after our cup win. It had brought in a bit of much needed cash into the coffers to help balance our books. Also a bit more interest was attracted to our exploits in the league and FA Vase.

Next we hosted Tadcaster in our first FA cup tie, tickets had already overtaken league game figures so I was expecting my biggest ever gate. Lets hope I don't let the bumper crowd down...

Last edited:
Time to earn our keep..

Training with the lads I was confident ahead of our clash with Tadcaster. In pre-season we had played and had success against North east counties prem teams. Still we put in a real shift in training, the league may be our main aim but we could really use the cash boost cup runs could bring. The money reward and added gates would help this club out no end. Holt House had seen better days and could do with some attention. I had also been told of plans to build a new stadium in the future to help bring us up to Blue square premier standard. If that was the case the more money we get the better, as money would be tight paying off the cost of this new stadium.

I had also had a meeting with Dave and the rest of the board. So far I was the golden boy as far as they were concerned. The players I had brought in and the wages I had managed to secure them on had impressed them greatly. I had just managed to keep within the budget i had been given, but given the results those players were getting it was proving to be worth every penny. The most pleasing signing they praised me for were the capture of Wingers Toms and Harwood. After that it was pretty much a well done and keep doing what your doing speech.

For me personally Toms has been my most pleasing signing. When my number 2 Myers came in he told me we'd be better off using the younger French, and that Toms was past his best. I'm glad I stuck to my guns as Toms has been in the form of his life, and goes out there and gives his all every match.

Driving home i was already buzzing about my first Fa cup tie. Even though it was still counties league level this could be the first step on to playing a league club. That was my other aim for the season to try and get through to the FA cup 'proper' and see how we fair against some league oppostion. But first Tadcaster.....

October review

This was a busy month for us, we'd forged a lead in at the top of the league but we quite a way to go yet. If we could widen it even further it would give us a great advantage over the other teams. Also in the various cups if we could win in the next rounds we could gather in some much need winnings and added gate revenue hopefully.

View attachment 229855
A great day for me and the team. A gate of 505 was the biggest at Holt house since I'd took over. The team took my word to heart and went out there with one thing on their minds winning. Lee and purser again proving to be a good team, with Toms finishing them off. Even better was the clean sheet. MOM-Lee delivered a perfect stiking display today.

View attachment 229856
The game against NWC Div 1 Irlam was a chance to try some players who hadn't got much playing time so far. They duly delivered, French and cooney the standouts.Also smashed the 505 best attendence since arriving with a gate 0f 850.Mom-French two goals and the assist for cooney's goal sealed it for him.

View attachment 229863

Back to the league and the great form continues.High point of the match captain Willie's first league goal for the club. MOM- Roche Was a constant danger on the overlap.

View attachment 229869
Our 4th 3-0 win in a row!. Another good showing in the league. We were now had an ever widening gap between us and the rest of the league. MOM- Forrester Held up the ball and linked up play amazingly.

View attachment 229894

A trip to South midlands premier Hertford in the F.A Cup next. It was the Marc Hughes show as he got himself a hat-trick. Boland gave some great link up play. So we march on the F.A bring on some high league teams!. MOM-Hughes.

View attachment 229896
We show we are force to be feared beating promotion chasers Stone Dominoes. Hughes got himself another 2 goals and anotherman of the match.

View attachment 229897
We's gathered quite a support for our cup exploits.And in front of the 709 fans both sets of players didn't let the fans down. We won but NE counties Div 1 Appleby put up a real fight. Cooney the only red on the score sheet. MOM-Dougan stayed solid under Appleby's counter attacks and keep the defence water tight.

View attachment 229902
We got higher league oppoition in the shape of Isthmian league Div 1 Soham. A crowd of 1036 my biggest crowd to date. I'd told the players not to let this chance to go on to bigger and better team pass them by. They didn't as we beat the higher league team easily by the end. several player got on the score sheet but Willie Boland again got the pick with his second of the season a piledriver on the edge of the area from a Roche lay off. MOM-Harwood Ran himself into the ground and put some deadly cross's in.

An outstanding month for the team. We put 13 points between us and 2nd place. We were also getting close enough to a league team in the F.A cup to be able to smell it. We were still in the FA Vase, and had a really good chance of lifting the NWC league Cup.

I was waiting on the draw for the next stage of the FA cup. If we got through this round the Blue square prem teams would be in. After that the league teams would enter and the FA cup 'proper' would begin. But I had to concentrate on what was right in front of me this draw. The wait was agonising watching team after team be drawn out waiting for us to pop up. Not many NW counties teams left apart from us only Winsford and Flixton remained. Flixton were drawn with Blue Square south Staines if they could beat Billingham synthonia in the replay. Finally after what seemed an age was our turn..."Colne"...It was a home tie good so far....."will Host.......Frickley. It was a good tie another step up in an Evo-Stick Premier team, but I felt we still had a good chance to progress to the chance to fight for a tie against league opposition...

Last edited:
November arrives...

Well we had got to November and things just get more hectic. Not only spending time training the team and going over opposition scout reports and tactics. I'd been working on buildng the fan base of the team and getting our name out there. Me and the players had been visiting schools and youth groups. My aim was to get a new set of fans while they were young and get them interested in the team.With the kids the rest of the family would follow bringing in more fans.

More open interviewing with the local paper gave us a few more column inchs. I had also managed to arrange a website to be set up for people to follow Colne FC events. It had interviews from me and colne players, staff and fans. The work was already paying off, We had the highest average attendence in the league, in cases double that of most teams in the league.

My other plans were talking to companies and looking at possible new sponsorship for the club. I knew that at this level of football any extra ammount of money you could bring in would give you a major advantage. Which was one of the reasons I wanted to carry our runs in all cup competitions.

In the rest of the footballing world the first managing sackings were just hitting, With Sam Allardyce losing his job as West Ham manager with the club laying 17th in the championship.

Last edited:
November review

View attachment 238150
Well the month couldn't have gotten off to a better start. The lads looked really up for this game. Hughes fantastic showing earned him a hat-trick, veterans Forrester and Toms got the others. MOM -Hughes no contest.

View attachment 238151
Another win and another two goals for Hughes,Who was earning interest from his native Ireland. A couple sources from the emerald isle told me Sligo had gotten wind of Marc and were preparing to take a look at him.Captain fantastic himself Willie Boland hit another screamer. MOM-Hughes another fantastic showing.

View attachment 238186
Resting some key player such as Hughes and forrester ahead of an FA cup tie at Frickley, it was a chance for the others to show their stuff. And they did just that..even if they did leave it a bit late. David Lee put a real effort to put himself in the starting striker line up bagging a goal on 24 mins. Boland bagged 2 in 2 games on 80 mins.Purser then burst on the scene scoring on 86 and 84 mins. MOM- Purser Gave a great account coming on as a sub.

View attachment 238204
The bar was set higher again as we met Evo-stick premier Frickley.We had a 1000+ crowd again and the main lads had been rested. It all amounted to a great result,Forrester getting us the lead before hughes killed the game off with a goal in each half. MOM-Hughes 3 time in 3 games and is showing why higher leagues club and showing some interest. The draw held the next day sees us face yet stronger opposition, in the shape of Blyth Spartans the Blue square north league leaders.

View attachment 238206
More cup action this time FA vase and Midland Alliance team Tividale.Forrester continued his amazing form the 37 year old grabbing a brace,after David Lee got the opener. MOM-Forrester the journeyman striker was in inspired form.

View attachment 238208
The winning run and Forresters form storms on,but this time at a price. Striker David lee pick up a nasty ham string which will see hime miss a number of games. A bitter blow after scoring i his last 2 starts. Forrester again picks up the MOM award with another great display and a brace to boost his goal tally.

View attachment 238209
A fantastic away win, underacheiving congleton had just started to show why they were promotion tipped at the start of the season. But a 7 game unbeaten run sees them steadily climb the table. Our boys spoiled their plans with an utterly deadly display. Everyone had a turn in the spotlight as Copeland,Harwood with a double,Hughes and stirling all got on the scoresheet.
MOM-Harwood probably left congletons full backs with nightmares for weeks after the day he gave them today.

View attachment 238210
The final game of November was the NW counties league cup tie at Atherton Coll. A bad start as usually reliable CB Adam Dougan put the ball in his own net defending a cross in a packed area. But the stiking partnership of Hughes and Forrester paid off yet again with veteran scoring and top scorer Hughes bagging another brace. MOM-Hughes a hard call but as Forrester came on as sub on 61 mins gotta give it to hughes yet again.

It had been another amazing month.The players were really gelling together nicely. The only slight problem to moral was the fact that some players were not happy to warm the bench at colne. The problem for me was felt more keenly with the strikers all the lads were a joy to train with and never really let me down on the pitch. But with Hughes and Forrester playing so well the others were going to be hard pressed finding a way to force their way into contention. I knew though really I was lucky if that was my biggest worry.It was to be another busy month in december but that to me just ment the club was doing it's job right.....