Bringing Back the Dynamo Days...Colne FC

Battling the Spartans...

With the sound of my team talk still ringing in their ears the lads took to the pitch,it was the biggest game we as a team had faced up to this point. We were hosting Blyth spartans, this years surprise package in the BS North and current league leaders. I told the team to just go out there and play with out fear. We were 2 leagues below them we were under no pressure to win just go out and play like i know you can and we'll do well I knew it..

Well the lads went out there and really competed and the first half was 50/50 and all level at 0-0. Blyth just about edge the half in terms of clear cut chances but we had our moments just needed to keep thing together in the final third.

The second half Blyth flew out of the traps and had a chance almost straight from kick off. We fired right back with 2 dangerous cross's from Toms and Garton one after the other. Hughes's frustration at lack of chances showed when he was booked for a clumsy attempt to reclaim a lost ball. The defenders in each team were the stars as they Blocked,intercepted,tackled,headed or simply hacked away any ball coming into the box. The atmosphere was great amongst the 1030+ crowd the temperature rising as heavy tackles went in and fouls started to creep into play. Boland played a lovely slide rule pass into the box ahead of Forrester but the Blyth keeper scrambled off his line and just won the foot race. We had gone past 60 mins and there had only been one real clear cut chance the whole second half, blyth's early effort. Since there had been a few cross's and through balls but the defence had snuffed out any chance stright away on both sides. Stirling wasn't giving me all he could given his obvious skill, so I took him off and gave another young lad Sean law a run out. Stirling had been playing regularly, but was still not giving his all for the club. I needed to show him his place wasn't a given. We had been dealing with everything Blyth were throwing, but they stepped up the pressure. It won them a corner. They swung it in and it met the head of Jones.....But it whistled just over the crossbar. That was close we'd have to start putting on a bit of pressure ourselves soon or the ball would be in our net sooner or later..Forrester was looking a big leggy and Garry had been moaning for playing time. So this was his chance to impress me.

We'd just gone past 70 mins and our fresh legs had lifted us a bit. Garry was closing down their defence putting them under pressure.He even played Hughes through who weaved into the left side of the box and chipped the ball across the front of goal. Toms took the shoot but it was blocked and laws followed up but that was blocked too and the attack fizzled out. Blyth countered deeney bombing down the winger..but Garton made a excellent slide tackle. The follow through caught deeney injuring him ending his night early as he hobbled to the bench. Blyth's heads dropped at one of their main performers on the night going off, and we smelled blood. Harwood played the ball forward to hughes, who played a brillent one two with Law and then took his first real chance and struck at goal.....But the excellent Knight was equal to it and clutched it gratefully to his chest.Blyth also had a change in stiker taking Ide off and putting smyth on. But we were still on top just about. Then the scales tipped further in our balance... striker Hall ran forward and attempted to run past our CB Dougan if he beat him he'd find himself in plenty of space, possibly enough to run on and have a shot on goal. Dougan timed his tackle well and slid and poked the ball away from him. Hall fell badly and had to come off,and Blyth had used all their subs...

It took a few minute for play to resume as he got treatment and left the field. We took the throw and went straight at them, Playing the ball to Law who attempted to hold the ball in just out side the D but had his legs took from under him by Dafter. Blyth were feeling the pressure and it showed with the rash challenge. Dougan took the free kick and aimed for the far post...but it sailed over everyone and harmlessly out for a goal kick. From Knight's goal kick Laws and Dafter jumped for the ball neither got the most of it and the ball rolled to Harwood. Before he could get the ball under control and look for a pass he was yanked down by the shirt by the sub Jones. From the centre circle Dougan crossed the ball to the left flank and Lb Pike. He took the ball back inside the pitch pulling the defenders into the centre. He took a short pass to Boland. Who played a sensational first touch through ball to Toms. Who'd carried on his run into left side of the box. He ran onto the ball completely free took a tiny touch to set himself and blasted off a shot.....GOAL!!!! It left knight with no chance as the thunderbolt bulged the roof of the net. We were ahead with a man up on Blyth now. The crowd had gone mad this would be the biggest win Colne had manage in a long time!. Since reaching the semi final of the FA vase back in 2004. Blyth tried to argue that the goal was offside in the midst of our celebrations but the ref dismissed it out of hand. I was too elated to be angry at their to frank stupid claims, as i knew what this could mean for us. A big tie with a league team could be on the cards in the next draw which would help us out no end.

Blyth fought back furiously even a man down, they pumped the ball forward and bombarded us with cross's but we continued to hold out. The fouls came thick and fast and it become end to end stuff neither team were giving up. We'd earned a throw in far up in their half and we'd just gone past 90 mins... Our attack fizzled out as Garry was caught offside. I then used my last sub bringing off the excelllent Dougan to provide fresh legs in defence. Young lad Phil Stevenson a former millwall trainee who I'd not long signed on a youth contract. This was his first run out for us. His freshness I was hoping would help us see this out. With not long left Blyth launched their last attack. Hamm bombed up the left wing pike slid in and took it out for a throw in. They took a long throw in straight into the heart of the box...Garton took no chances and headed it out for a corner. Last roll of the dice Hamm whipped the corner in....Boland didn't mess about and hoofed it out of the box and for a throw in. Another long throw into the box..Harwood won the ball and cleared... but the whitle blew before Blyth could come back again. We'd done it!! I ran onto the pitch to celebrate with the lads. It was my finest moment to date as a manager we'd played a team 2 leagues above us and come out on top. Next stop the 'FA cup proper'!!!!

Last edited:
December Report

View attachment 239691
You all know what happened with this match. A brilliant performence against an in form hgher league team. MOM- Copeland didn't score the winner but keep the defence watertight all game.

View attachment 239692
A proud moment as 16 year old Grant Renwick on his first start for the club scored not one but two goals. the pick of the goals came from Gavin Roche's cross from far out on the wing which ended up in the far corner of the Squires Gate net. The only thing to mar the day was a Squires Gate consolation right at the end of the game.

More new blood
I'd been bringing in more young players in on youth contracts building for the future. At the end of November I brought in Phil Stevenson a former Millwall youth who plays CB. Now I found and brought in a young striking talent. Former Hartlepool trainee Daniel Johnhson. I had plenty of experienced strikers that he could learn from. Forrester was the ideal tutor so i set Daniel training with Jamie straight away.

View attachment 239701
A comfortable away win. A Hughes goal and a Rob Wills own goal handed us the win. MOM-Dougan solid all game gave Bateman and easy time in goal.

View attachment 239708
We cruised to another victory this time at home. Hughes again on the scoresheet. Harwood got the second finishing the game off on the stroke of halftime. MOM Dougan for the second time the scot deserves a mention kept any sniff of chance out today.

View attachment 239709
We had a bit of a harder time of it against Alsager. Purser and Hughes got the goals that led to the 3 points. Alsager fought back with a goal from Shane Bennett. We dusted ourselves off and took back control of the game and saw it out. MOM- Purser made a good case for breaking into the srike team.

View attachment 239710F
The next round of the Fa vase saw us on the end of an upset this time. Combined counties league 1 team Spelthorne Sports. We took the lead with a Hughes goal. Joe Champion then stunned us by getting the equaliser. We pushed hard but they held on for the draw. At least we get a reply to to have another shot at it. MOM- Roche Never stopped trying to help push for the winner.

FA Cup Draw
We waited nervously awaiting our next challenge. The team names were rolled out and then it came......Southend United!. It wasn't Sheffield Wednesday or Charlton but it was still a league team and could still earn us a little more much needed cash. So next up a trip to Southend!!.....

Last edited:
THIS IS FABULOUS !!!

Too bad that nobody is posting around here, keep it up mate !

A trip to the seaside...

We had made the trip to Roots Hall. There was an extra spice to the match now, in the shape of ESPN cameras. They'd caught wind of us being a lowly counties level side against a hotly tipped but poorly performing league 2 side and smelled good tv. Extra pressure or not we we still happy for the exra money the tv rights would bring in. Some of the lads were nervous but I told them playing in a matchs that maybe millions would watch could be a once in a lifetime chance so just go out there and enjoy. I'm glad i had a captain in Willie Boland. He'd played for Coventry when they were in the prem so had been around camaras before. It was a 3000+ crowd for the match more than our ground could hold..We even had a respectable away support who'd made the long trip to see their side have their day in the spotlight. I had also made a major choice I'd left reliable Right winger Jamie Harwood on the bench and fielded 16 year old Grant Renwick. Also left winger Fraser Toms was on the bench in favour of Ruben French...

From the first whistle we were under the cosh. Blocking a Grant shot, repelling a Timlin corner and follow up cross, then Dickinson beating Roche to a thorugh ball turning in inside and forcing a great save from Bateman. Kalala then put Dickinson in behind our Defence and one on one with Bateman...but again our keeper came out on top before stirling cleared. We'd only just got to 5 mins...The lads were letting the occasion get to them were southend kept stealing the ball from us. The defence kept backing of Dickinson and he trotted into the box and took a shot...which shaved the crossbar another let off..We had a quiet 5 mins as Boland sttle the team down also Garton playing at LB this time were putting in a good showing. Dickinson was proving a real threat another shot from the edge of the area was palmed away to safety for a corner by Bateman. We'd made a couple of attempts to go forward but southend were flying into tackles they deffo didn't want an upset here today. so far Hughes had got forward twice with purpose once put hrough by Forrester which was deemed offside. And battling upfield for a ball he gave away a free kick in the end. We learned dto deal with the Southend pressure and even push upfield ourselves. Finally we got our first shot on goal, A throw in high up the field from Roche found Hughes who played in back to Boland, who passed to Forrester who stroked it back to Hughes. He exploited the newly form gap in the Southend defence to skip into the box and let of a shot....which Morrise caught with little trouble..but it was a start...

We'd manage to keep in the game at 20 mins and the crowd were starting grumble. Settlign intot he game we finally started pressing ourselves. A Southend Corner saw us scramble away a Kane Ferdinand header off the line. The game was getting end to end. Under bombardment again a long throw,a cross then leonard found himself with the ball in the box. His curling shot beat Bateman.... but curved round the wrong side of the post. a clearence from Roche was headed out and earned us a throw in far up the pitch. Garton took it throwing the ball to Boland. He rolled a sublime ball towards a space in southends box. Renwick ran on to it Morris was already looking to close him down. He chipped it first time.....and it arced up and over morris.....and just below the crossbar and into the net! GOAL!!!!!!!. After a delayed reaction I was up on my feet and screaming like I was a fan with Myers my assistant. Grant sprinted to the bench to embrace me and the rest of the staff. It was like something out of a comic book. It was a real proud moment for me. Grant hadn't got a look in in scotland but it had still taken some doing to get him to move all the way from Haddington in East Lothian to earn peanuts in Colne...

Southend looked like they'd taken a collective punch to the gut. They dusted themselve down and pressed us hard again making us work hard at the back to keep them out. We hit back and we almost in dream land when Renwick crossed the ball over to French who got free of his man. he cross the ball acoss goal to hughes who was never going to miss from that range....but the celebrations were cut short as the linesmans flag came up. That gave us the push to turn the attackers for the rest of the half and we mostly penned them back in their own half.

The second half was so end to end i think I got a bit of whiplash trying to follow it. It carried on that way for most of the second half. Then on around 65 mins it started to show who was the league team a bit. Also southend were on a bad run they didn't need this result as t stood to show them up further. So they called on any reserves they had and really gaves us their all. The lads couldn't have responded better they put thier bodies on the line to clear the ball. And even managed to hit them for a counter attack when we could. Purser came on for Forrester and left the Southend fans needed a new change of underwear were he got a clear shot and took the paintwork off the crossbar on its way over. I'd thought Dickinson would be the end of us since the first few minutes and his first few chances. He almost proved me right when his shot went agonizingly close to finding the bottom corner. A Southend free kck timlin to take and he floated it in. It came into the ox and met the head of Caughlan.....GOAL!!! the well met header was just missed by a diving Bateman....

It was a blow we rode our luck at times but we'd put in an amazing perfomence to keep the league team out for 80 mins and score a goal to boot. We recovered well and didn't let conceding make us fall apart. We stayed right in the game untill a few mins from time and Purser picked up an injury leaving us with ten men to see out the game. Now I knew how Blyth felt....Luckily it was only for a few mins and the lads grimly held on .

Full time and we'd earned a replay back at Holt House, and the respect of the southend fans. It had been a good day for us we gotten some good exposure on tv too. Also a home replay would give us bumper gates at Holt House.

We had 3 days to recover before we had to do it all again, this time at home on saturday.......

Last edited:
Seconds out round 2....

We'd managed to fight to a draw with southend in their own backyard. Now it was time to play hosts. It was only 3 days after the last meeting we'd somehow have to find the energy to fit in this extra game in a busy period and do ourselves justice....

The ground was packed almost to capacity it was great to see. Southend had brought a good following and the gates reached 1750. An unfortunate injury to Hughes ment that he'd have to sit out this game, but in some good news David Lee had been passed fit and was ready to make his return from injury. Other changes were old mainstays Harwood and Toms were back on the wings and Sean Pike starts ahead of Luke Garton.

The game started and we both spared with each other without either of us making any big hits. The first ten mins were spent testing each other out and trying to get into our stride. First blood went to us David Lee running into the box and firing off a shot forcing Morris to tip it round the post for a corner. It got to 20 mins with the Lee chance being to only really clear cut chance. We'd traded blows but attacks on both sides broke down on the final move or went well wide. Being at home seemed to give us a boost and we more than matched Southend this time, at times we even had them totally on the backfoot. A long pass from Southend keeper Morris went straight to Roche. He passed to Boland who played a delightful through ball into the southend box. David Lee made the run got to the ball to the right of goal and let off a thunderous shot.....GOAL!!! It flew into the bottom left corner flashing past Morris's outstretched hand. Holt house erupted as the home support showed their joy at seeing Colne Beat their biggest visitors for some time. Yet again I was so glad I'd overlooked Willie Boland's age, as his passing at times was a joy to watch. Southend were dazed they looked like they'd been hit with a truck. A cross went in and Jamie Harwood almost got a head at goal but for a last ditch challenge for put it out for a corner. They then conceded another corner shortly after from an attempted Forrester cross. Toms swung in the corner and Boland flung himself headfirst onto the ball......But morris palmed the ball away. Half time came and the lads sat down happy, but sore they'd taken a battering out there from the southend player who had started to go in harder and harder as the game went on. I was proud, in all honesty i hadn't expected us to win today but as long as we gave a good account of ourselves I go away a happy man. The player had gone a step beyond that, and had not only given Southend a game we had outplayed them...

I expected southend to come out like they'd had a rocket up their ****'s but still we were the ones on the attack. Lee weaved in and out of players in the box before a last ditch clearence stopped him taking his shot. Then after ping ponging the ball around we played Lee in again, who tried to just lightly chip the ball over an already sliding Morris.....But he somehow manged to tip it wide for a corner. The corner was easily clear for a throw in far down the pitch. Pike took it and threw it to Forrester whos played and one two with Toms and back to Pike. He clipped a pass in ahead of Forrester making a run down the left flank. Forrester took the ball down and ran to the byline...but Coughlan was on top of him and hoofed the ball out for a throw in. The pressure was still on as the throw in was high up. Southend switched off as Copeland took the throw in to Forrester who was still lurking on the left though now unmarked....He chested the ball down and fired a cross into the box on the turn. The ball made a purfect arc to David Lee who had got himself in plenty of space in between two defenders and infront of the goalkeeper....GOAL!!!!!! Lee was in point blank range and met the ball with the front of his head flicking it into top right corner. Morris had no chance with that one. I couldn't beleive what I was seeing!. Lee was having a dream return after an unlucky injury. The fans again were up on their feet I'd never see a crowd at Colne this excited!. Southend responded by taking off Dickinson who'd been the main thorn in our side at Roots hall, and bringing on Leonard. They pushed forward and started to trouble us, but still with our tails up we hit right back even gaining two corners one after another. Southend were playing with more urgency we had now gone past 60 mins. They were steadily working their way into the game although my lads were still a danger whenver we got the ball and moved forward. Both Toms for us and Leonard for Southend were causing problems on the left flanks. Forrester gained the ball in the left of midfield and played a ball forward to Lee...But Kalala was on him straight off and stole the ball. He played a long through ball into our box. veteran striker Harris had been along our cb's. He made the run and got onto the ball......GOAL!!!!...His shot slide under Bateman as he dived to save it. They had pegged us back, but we dusted ourselves off and went about trying to regain our momentum. Harwood bombed down the right flank finding himself with space and swung a ball into the box, Lee was right where he should be and jumped to met the inswinging ball.....He connected but the shot bounced off the crossbar to be cleared for a corner. Toms took two quick corners which were both repelled before taking a cross come shot which Morris gathered at his near post. We had gain the upper hand but we were starting to look a bit leggy now. The busy month looked like it was starting to take it's tole. With the players starting to tire I thought about maybe going more on the defence and hitting back when we could. But I didn't want us to invite pressure on to ourselves. I decided to stick with pressing southend till late on as I could then take a breather close to the end. We'd reached 75 mins another 5 or 10 mins then hold back.I also tried to fresh legs and young Blood Taking off a tired Boland and giving Law a chance also Stevenson to replace Pike who picked up a knock, with copeland switching to LB. A long kick from keeper Morris found Harris as he won the header with Stevenson. He headed down to Timlin who had spotted Corr making a run. He passed the ball through the gap in defence and into Corr's Path. He carried the ball into the box and shot.....GOAL!!! He loop his shot over Bate man who was closing down the angle and into the net. It was a blow we had been flying with a two goal lead and controlled most of the match and now it was back level...

Now it was our turn to try and pick ourselves up from a hammer blow. The lads then tried to rush the ball upfield and Stevenson put the ball out for a throw trying to put Toms through on the left flank. We won the ball back but then a slide tackle from Grant puts Harris in on our Left flank. Copeland blocks the ball as he tries to cross to the other flank the ball goes for a throw in. Leonard takes the throw to Harris, who returns to Leonard. He then chips the ball into the right side of the box intot he path of a running Grant. Who floats the ball across goal to Johnson on the opposite side of the box.....GOAL!!! Who lashs the ball into net on the volley. Bateman had no chance... Now we had gone behind conceding 2 goals in less than 5 mins . It had gone 82 mins. It was a big ask to get back into the game at this late stage but the lads gave it a real push. Harwood again Finding the ball and bombing down that right wing. He flashed a ball across the front of goal...But nobody could get anything on it. A mad scramble at a Southend corner hit the crossbar before almost rolling across the line amid the flailing. But play was stopped due to a Barker foul. Agiain things nearly got worse as Grant played Harris in and he took a shot in the box, but it went just inches wide. For the last few mins I took off a clearly tired Forrester. The 37 year old had played fantasticly all game and duly deserved his standing ovation from the Colne fans. Wayne Purser replaced him. We fought out the remaining time , but clearly jaded we couldn't manage to put a clear threat on the southend goal.

The full time whistle went...We had come so close yet so far away from going through to another glorious FA cup round. The fans applauded us all and not one had left early. It was dissappointing not to have been able to keep hold of the lead, and that we were now out of the competiton. Mainly though I was proud... It was further than we had ever gotten before. And we should have no shame, we gave them a real game, a team that had recently been a league 1 side. Money came over to shake my hand and told me how impressed he was with our team.It was only then that I thought this was my first ever loss as Colne boss... Although no defeat is good, I thought what a good season it has been and the many things we still had to look forward to. Like our next match against Spelthorne Sports and a chance to progress in the FA Vase.....

Last edited:
Once again Computer problems killed this save but I 've started yet again!. Plan to start writing up the new one soon. If I lose this new game I'm going I give up!! lol