Bringing Scotland Back - A Kris & djh1878 Story

djh1878

Mark McCusker's #1 Fan
Reaction score
23m3bs7.jpg

Scottish Football set for “Drastic Changes”?
Monday 3rd January 2011

With the publication of Henry McLeish’s “State of the Game” report into Scottish football, it seems that the structure of the professional game in the country is set to be revolutionised. With the backing of all major associations and the Scottish Government, the former First Minister has been investigating the problems in the national sport for the last 18 months – now, with his recommendations ringing in the ears of all concerned, it seems that fans will be following a much-changed league setup from next season onward.

qywd1i.jpg

In principle, McLeish has proposed a professional structure consisting of just two leagues: the SPL would be expanded to 16 teams, with an SPL2 made up of 18 teams lying beneath. Then, in a first for Scottish football, there would be relegation to the non-league setup: encompassing a regional north/south setup of 10 sides, the top level would include some former SFL teams alongside the larger of the junior clubs; at the level below, a further north/south/east/west setup with 14 sides in each division would allow more ambitious sides an opportunity to progress up the ladder.

So far, reaction has been universally positive from fans and pundits alike, with only certain SPL sides expressing doubt over limited games involving the Old Firm. However, it is believed that increased prize money as a result of an improved league would account for this potential shortfall, meaning that this hurdle should not be too hard to overcome. Now, we enter a phase of intense negotiation between the associations in question: the SPL, SFA, SFL and SJFA are required to reach a consensus on the report for these recommendations to become a reality.

“This is a watershed moment for football in Scotland,” remarked report author McLeish, himself a former defender for the likes of East Fife.

“For too long, the declining health of our national game has been ignored, brushed under the carpet by all concerned. Now, we have a once in a lifetime chance to cure it’s ills, and give Scotland a fighting chance of becoming a force to be reckoned with once more. In truth, fans have been voting with their feet, increasingly bored with the stale repetitiveness of the SPL and SFL – if these plans are implemented, there will be a new freshness and vigour about the game, and we should hopefully see an increase in attendances around the leagues.”

With secret talks beginning in earnest this afternoon, held at Hampden Park, we will keep you up-to-date on any developments in the negotiation process.

This is a joint story involving myself and Kris, in which we will be starting down the leagues in Scotland and making our way in the game, one way or another. As well as Scotland, we have the English, French, German, Spanish and Italian leagues booted up, so where we end up is anyone’s guess! Please feel free to comment, or even just to like any posts along the way, as it is naturally easier to keep going when people are following.

One more update to come, and then we’ll be on our way!

Last edited:
After plenty of debate and banter between ourselves, this set up is how we feel Scotland should be pushing towards. This should give us an incite as to how our league's would be given these changes.

Hopefully we can attract a following for both story and Scotland in general,

To avoid any complications, we are using the same save file and starting at the same time, perhaps our managers paths will cross?

242bpjq.jpg

Press Briefing: Negotiations Reach Successful Conclusion
Monday 23rd May 2011

The Scottish Football Association is delighted to announce a unilateral agreement after several months of constructive talks with the SPL, SFL, SJFA and the Scottish Government. As a result of the negotiations, Henry McLeish’s recommendations as a result of his “State of the Game” report will be implemented in full, effective from the beginning of the 2011/12 season. With the backing of all parties, the following league system will be enacted from this coming summer:

SPL – 16 teams, 30 games per season
SPL2 – 18 teams, 34 games per season
SFL Scottish Regional Premier Divisions – 10 teams, 36 games per season
SJFA Scottish Regional Leagues – 14 teams, 39 games per season

To fill the slots in the respective leagues, a combination of final divisional placing and club “ambition” has been considered in each respective side’s case. The SPL and SPL2 will operate with mostly current SPL and SFL sides, but the second tier will contain a junior side as part of the agreement – the junior association has nominated Irvine Meadow to step up this season.

The new structure can be seen below, with clubs in their allocated new berths.

The Scottish Football Association would like to thank all those who made this momentus and historic agreement possible, and will continue to work alongside the respective associations to ensure a prosperous and successful future for Scottish football as a whole.

o6wi0g.jpg

Opinion: Finally, Sense Prevails at the SFA
by Jim Traynor

Watch out – blink and you’ll miss it!

Yes boys and girls, believe it or not the blazers have come up trumps. No, their expenses haven’t sneaked through undetected, but incredibly the SFA have shown good judgement and courage in decision-making. As time dragged on from Henry McLeish’s report into Scottish football, it seemed increasingly likely that the national association would once again shirk responsibility. Thankfully, for the good of the game overall, we finally have change in the stale mess that is our league system.

So, why has this change been ratified when fans have campaigned for several years previously? Well, a combination of factors has been at work: with the involvement of the Scottish Government, and taxpayer’s funds, there was pressure from the highest level to initiate change; falling TV revenue and interest has been threatening to send clubs over the edge for some time; having so many bodies in charge of the game is naturally resistant to real change coming into effect.

Fan reaction has been decidedly mixed, contrary to some reports. The opinion of the Old Firm’s legions is largely irrelevant, given their position at the top, while fanbases of clubs such as Hamilton, Kilmarnock and St Mirren have expressed concern at losing income from playing the terrible twosome on fewer occasions. In the end, an agreed television and sponsorship package pending the new SPL and SPL2 won over the board members, and the deal was pushed through at the eleventh hour.

Some aspects of the final agreement are questionable at best (Irvine Meadow jumping above established SFL sides?) but the overall premise is unilaterally good. Good for the fans, good for the clubs, good for the players…even good for the blazers. Ah, now there’s a thought – just as a new sponsorship deal is in the pipeline, suddenly huge structural shifts are pushed through. Would it be cynical to accuse the blazers of the SFA of self-interest once again? No matter though, we finally have the revolution that was desperately needed in this country.

Last edited:
Good luck both of you. I will definitely be following. :)

good luck djh, and good luck Kris, hope this will be an epic story :D

Awakening

7:35AM, the alarm erupts into reverberation. Any other day this would have been torture, he despised the sound of his morning alarm clock as it intended it was time to start a new day and head into the office.

Today however, was different. This was his first day as a football manager. Years of childish dreams and what ifs were coming to an end, so even the penetrating sound of his alarm clock couldn’t stop him from glistening.

Two days holiday from the office. Simply to familiarise himself with the club and the surroundings, even if he wouldn’t meet his players until tonight. This was a long way away from the SPL and the £50 a week wage would never merit the hours he was about to put in, he didn’t care. This was his chance.

Chapter 1 - A New Beginning

Well, here I am - I finally made it!

It has been a long road to this stage. A life flitting round the junior leagues, with no hope of making it big, brought to an end by a typical sunday league tackle. At the age of 30, I was left with no prospect of ever playing again.

So, what to do, where to go? There was only one option: I've loved football since my childhood, it was and still is my life...I had to find my way back into the game, albeit off the pitch. One of my former clubs, Linlithgow Rose, gave me the chance to gain some valuable coaching experience while I earned my badges. Then, just as the new league structure was announced, the managerial position became vacant...

I got it - no doubt because of my familiarity with the club and low wage demands - but I'm over the moon! Here the second dream begins: I couldn't make it up the ranks as a player, but there are no barriers in my way now. I have ended up with a huge challenge in my first role in football management, however. The board are extremely ambitious, and expect progress up the ranks in the near future - I just hope that I can deliver.

For now though, no negative thoughts cross my mind. I'm a football manager, something that I confess I hadn't considered before my playing days ended. Necessity dictated that it was my natural aim two years ago, and I've made it. Time to repay the board's trust...there's a long hard pre-season ahead!

Nice updates both of you, just seen this but looks like a nice read so far, keep going and good luck to you both - Definitely following this.

Two of the best story writers on the site. Despite not being a fan of Scottish football - I will definately follow.

Next Time I'll Drive!

An enthralling debate swept the worn down ford transit, turned ‘home made’ mini bus. Carluke Hearts captain, Rab Evans decision to amend his father’s work van following his retirement, was an ideal space and money saver for the players.

As the wind pounded against the old doors, Assistant Manager Kris Jackson asked himself the same question he asked every away trip...

’Why the **** didn’t I just drive?’

He wasn’t sure what would kill him, Rab’s driving or the van itself.

Everyone gathered close to preserve heat as they made their way along the m74 to Mount Vernon, discussing the new changes that were due to take place in Scotland after the summer. Hamilton fan Scott Robinson chanted optimistically about his side’s fortunes, no longer would they be relegation fodder.

‘Blue nose without the bus fare’ Jackson grinned.

At 29 he was aged with most of the players, yet everyone at the club looked up to and respected him. His knowledge of the game was better than any and almost of the lads would admit to an improved game with his influence. Little did they know, their time with him was almost at an end

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Just to confirm what I am doing here, I am changing between past and present date. In doing so I am changing the font type, just encase anyone isn't getting it

great story, great start, great writing, keep it up! scotland :wub:

This is really good stuff guys, good luck to both of you :) If you ever need any kits I will quite happily make them :)

b49s3r.jpg

Meet The Manager: Del Hendren

With pre-season almost upon us, and an exciting new era dawning in Scottish football, the Rose website caught up with newly appointed manager Del Hendren as he takes the reins. A much loved former player and coach, the youthful gaffer is assuming his first managerial role, but has a wealth of contacts and experience in the game from a colourful and varied playing career in the juniors.

“I’m raring to go, and hopefully so are the players!” he told our man Cammy Meldrum.

“To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised to be offered the job. This is an ambitious and progressive club, and the board have made it clear that progression up into the professional leagues is the ultimate aim of my tenure. I don’t expect us to run away and win our division this year, so it’ll be a gradual job over the next two or three campaigns – it’s important to keep our expectations in check.”

A famously hard-working centre half, what Hendren lacked in skill he more than made up for in passion and commitment. These qualities should be invaluable in his new job, as well as the many contacts he has built up through ten years spent with the likes of Benburb, Pollok, Cumbernauld United, Banks O’Dee and the Rose. Unusually for an ex-player, Del is also a great thinker and student of the game, and tends to understand the little nuances of football…

“I must confess, I am a bit of a tactics geek! You get some games where most people will be as bored as ever, but I’ll be engrossed in the tactical battle unfolding between the two men in charge. Hopefully, it’s something that will serve me well going forward – I’ve a lot to learn as I go, but having an assistant like Davie Irons will be of great help. He’s seen it all, and has a great knowledge of the teams around us in our new league.”

With our new management team in place, and a new exciting challenge to look forward to this season, things seem to be looking up for the Rose. One thing is for sure – everyone is full of anticipation for the new campaign at Prestonfield!

The quality of some stories appearing on the forum of late has been quite impressive, and this is another that I'm really looking forward to following. Great few opening posts guys.