Bristol City sign David James

• Thread starter Thread starter Mally
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 4K
So basically, he's left Portsmouth to go to a better team, and he ended up at Bristol City.

Nice one!

So basically, he's left Portsmouth to go to a better team, and he ended up at Bristol City.

Nice one!

Couldn't of said it better :wub:

EDIT : It's Bristol CITY, not just Bristol. Makes it sound like there is only one team.....

Would've stayed at Portsmouth if i was him.

Getting on a bit now..

Couldn't of said it better :wub:

EDIT : It's Bristol CITY, not just Bristol. Makes it sound like there is only one team.....

Yeah, they need to be adressed as Bristol City or at least The Good Team From Bristol:P

Dam i really thought he was going to sign for celtic now we need to pay for a keeper :'(

Good signing for City, Gerkin had a good start last season, but by the end of the season was looking a little out of his league.

Nice one!

Max if you read the article his main reasons were to play football and be a family man. He did recieve offers from the Premier League but obviously wants to finish his career as number 1. Plus I would imagine that the wages Bristol offered him was twice if not three times what Portsmouth had offered (If Pompey even offered to re-sign him [?])

Personally I'm surprised he didn't go for Celtic, I think this is where the family man bit comes in, it's hard enough having to move his family a few hundred miles away but moving to Scotland so late in his career would just disrupt his family and isn't really worth it.

Although good signs that Bristol City are improving though, good luck to them. And I'm sure that bitter taste will go sometime soon Max :P

Last edited:
Max if you read the article his main reasons were to play football and be a family man. He did recieve offers from the Premier League but obviously wants to finish his career as number 1. Plus I would imagine that the wages Bristol offered him was twice if not three times what Portsmouth had offered (If Pompey even offered to re-sign him [?])

Personally I'm surprised he didn't go for Celtic, I think this is where the family man bit comes in, it's hard enough having to move his family a few hundred miles away but moving to Scotland so late in his career would just disrupt his family and isn't really worth it.

Although good signs that Bristol City are improving though, good luck to them. And I'm sure that bitter taste will go sometimes soon Max :P
Fair enough for his family reasons but for football is quite bullshit tbh. He no doubt would of been first team here, we offered him a contract before the World Cup and then withdrew it around half a week ago because he said 'he wanted to go to a bigger team', and then he went to Bristol City who are in the same division as us and arguably aren't a bigger team.

We offered him around £10-20k a week, so god knows what Bristol City offered him..

But yes, the bitter taste will leave my mouth soon Andy. ;)

He also said that Bristol offered him an added one year, if he wants it, after his contract expires

Yeah, as far as I understand it, he and his family are very happy down in Devon and don't want to move. I guess that limits him to Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth and Yeovil then! When you look at it that way, he's probably picked the right move. His England career's finished anyway and I would imagine he's not short of a bob or two so wages wouldn't be an issue.

bad move for james, good move for Bristol city

He also said that he wants to learn coaching from Steve Coppell while playing I read somewhere before.

Personally I think its a good move, because he'll be one of the best keepers in the Championship whereas he'll just be an alright keeper compared to the rest in the Prem.

Back