Bristol City sign David James

• Thread starter Thread starter Mally
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 4K
He didn't want to be back-up he wanted to be number 1. Or are you saying sign him and actually play him as Arsenal's number 1?

I'm not sure he could secure a place as 1st team though with no real solid keeper at the club

Most shocking move of the transfer window? Can't believe he would opt for a move to Bristol City.

I was going to post that earlier but I couldn't decide who's fault it was, it looked more like Campbell couldn't be bothered to chase it so James was screwed XD
Its a howler by both of them, the initial mistake was definately Campbells, but a good keeper would've thrown himself at the ball, and what really ****** me off about D.James is the smug smirk he has on his face after a howler..... check to see if i'm wrong

He left, he had premierleague offers + Celtic were intereted but at the end of the day he chose a place closer to his family.. that isn't a bad decision, it's a very respectable decision :)

Really bad decision imo, he should of gone to Arsenal :P. Nah, jokes but I think Tottenham, Newcastle and Wolves could do with his experience and skill :)

We need him about as much as your lot need him, which is not at all.

Gomes has been immense lately, and he's beginning to work out the kinks in his game and with his decision making. :wub:

I definitely wouldn't want a 40 year old goalkeeper as our first-choice, and he isn't interested in a back-up role, for which we have Cudicini anyway.

Shame, Wenger should have come in with a one year contract, he's better than Schwarzer and he'd have been free.

I think it was a step backwards for James,as Celtic should of been a much more preferred destination,despite the stature of the SPL not being as high.

Despite the financial constraints of Pompey,I think he could of hung on at Fratton Park and observed his options more,instead of moving to a team that are probably pitched amongst the favourites to finish outside the Playoffs in the following season.

However,I think his move to Bristol was just to move to a settled area in which he can retire without much hassle,as well as have a much more relaxed opportunity to look at earning some coaching badges and venturing into management.

He said he didnt move to Celtic because he didnt want to move his family to Scotland.

Which is Understandable ;)

In Sky Sports News interview with him he also claims that he moved there because 'The South-West hasn't had a team in the Premier League - ever'

Good point Dave

BTW he signs the contract on Sunday, his 40th Birthday :)

Very good signing for bristol city.
Despite his misgivings he is one of the most consistent performers in the Premier League since he joined Pompey.Still think he should have signed a new contract though.

City got rid of Hartley and Trundle which freed up a lot of funds for DJ's contract. We got a very rich owner in Steve Lansdown who is paying towards the new Ashton Vale stadium who is funding Steve Coppell in the Championship. Expect City to be a top half team this season, Nicky Hunt is a good championship signings and Damion Stewart i've heard is quite a good center back.

I don't quite know the situation at Portsmouth, but i heard that liquidation could be a possibility next week. Seriously hope not as no fan should have to go through it, I don't think David James should of started his contract on August 1st meaning they still owe him £140k this week, but there was no way you were gonna be able to re sign him with the financal difficulties.

Guess we'll all see next week if he's still mistake prone.

good deal for Bristol City and they have also signed Daimion Stewart from QPR Nicky Hunt Bolton and David James i wish we could sign 3 decent/quality players in 1 day

good deal for Bristol City and they have also signed Daimion Stewart from QPR Nicky Hunt Bolton and David James i wish we could sign 3 decent/quality players in 1 day

Heffernan :'(

it seems like the right deal for both partys. at the end of the day James gave his all for pompey and i think i am right in saying he has always said he wanted to finish his carear close to where he was bought up. if so you have to respect his wishes.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

i like david james but as people are posting his gaffs i will post one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7UslQv5y08&feature=PlayList&p=D31E5DDF49214620&playnext=1&index=14"]YouTube- David James Air Kick[/ame]

I'm sad to see him leave the premiership. One of the few original members of the league still playing. No matter what people might think of him, he's entertained us with mad hair-dos, great saves, hilarious blunders and dodgy paintings for many years. It's players like James that have helped the Premier League become the massively entertaining league it is today -- a true character :)

Back