British PM: state multiculturalism has failed

Hmm, I don't quite recall him mentioning this before the election... interesting that.

So yes, Dave. We can attribute a loss of national identity to multiculturalism. Though as scapegoats go I'd have blamed it on music. How can we have a national identity when we all listen to different music? Music has failed.

I'm not from the UK and have no idea what your guys' situation is like, and I am very ambivalent towards "multiculturalism" (not sure what it is exactly, anyway).

One thing that bothers me about Cameron is the justification for giving up on multiculturalism. He says it is in the name of liberalism. He wants to be more intolerant of and get rid of the groups that are opposed to liberal values. Isn't this a complete contradiction??? Liberal values tell us that we have the right to believe whatever we want (freedom of religion and conscience) and should be able to express those beliefs, whether or not they oppose the views of the government (freedom of speech, freedom of assembly). Liberalism tells us to be tolerant, yet many liberals are intolerant of anyone that disagrees with their values. I can't believe they want to start persecuting organizations that "oppose the nation," it's about the most illiberal response you can have. They are being entirely illiberal in their defense of liberalism, which they claim to be the foundation of the country.

At the same time, I do understand his assertion of Britain's values and his concerns. He believes that the nation is lacking in values. Can you have a successful nation that merely values believing what you want to? Or does a nation need to have a set of agreed upon principles that it shares? Does it need to have a common identity and history and a common set of values, or can it simply be a group of individuals that have a multitude of beliefs that aren't congruent? Britain is not like the US, Canada, or Australia, nations founded by immigrants. It comprises of a group of people that have lived there for thousands of years and have a common, ancient history and a set of national values, traditions, and customs. What then is the place of immigrants? Should there be a higher expectation for them to integrate into the society and adopt the national beliefs, customs, etc. than in a country such as Canada?

As for the Brixton example, that's great that you have an area that has taken well to multiculturalism, but what if other areas don't? Maybe they 'ought to' be more tolerant of the immigrants, and maybe the immigrants 'ought to' do a better job of integrating into the society, but what if they don't? What if it comes down to the fact that people don't act as they should and for the most part, people of different races, cultures, religions, etc. just don't get along? What if the people of the UK feel that it is failing? Do they have the right to think so and change the state's official attitude on multiculturalism?

Another quick thought: what about the former colonies of Britain. Since many of them were screwed over by the Brits, does Britain have some sort of obligation to opening up their borders to those people?

And what do you guys think about this as far as it being the trend in Europe (Merkel said the same thing, the French struggle a lot with their multiculturalism, a recent example being the expulsion of the Roma)? Do you think Europe is headed in this direction? Are they abandoning multiculturalism?

Unfortunately yes. Whilst I don't subscribe to the whole "Oh woe is us what has this once great nation become" school of thought, it is sad and as you said a tad embarrassing to think that, past the financial sector, we have such a little purpose worldwide.

It is too bad for Britain. With the global credit glut, neoliberalism, the EU, etc. their already strong financial sector swelled to a huge size while the agricultural and manufacturing sectors declined. Problem is that anyone connected to finance right now is in dire striaghts, and the more financialized countries (places like Iceland and Ireland) are really struggling, while economies more based on manufacturing (Germany) or countries with more internalized economies less dependent upon external trade (France) are doing much better. This is why Britain is in such dire straights right now, and I think the future is bleak for you guys, economically speaking. The thing with manufacturing and agriculture is that it's a bit more stable than finance, which is characterized by huge booms and busts. Britain's manufacturing sector has grown recently, however (probably because capital is being invested in those sectors as opposed to finance, where it won't get good returns), so maybe that's a good thing, although with the crisis of global production, I don't think that's safe either. Basically the whole world is in a tough position, other than Latin America, which already went through the debt crises and reformed their economies.

Hmm, I don't quite recall him mentioning this before the election... interesting that.

So yes, Dave. We can attribute a loss of national identity to multiculturalism. Though as scapegoats go I'd have blamed it on music. How can we have a national identity when we all listen to different music? Music has failed.

Music is the pride of Britain. You guys took an American form of music, rock and roll, and totally perfected it and outdid them in the process. Pretty much all of the best musical groups were British. So one of your national prides is in decline. Something must be done to revive it! :p

It is too bad for Britain. With the global credit glut, neoliberalism, the EU, etc. their already strong financial sector swelled to a huge size while the agricultural and manufacturing sectors declined. Problem is that anyone connected to finance right now is in dire striaghts, and the more financialized countries (places like Iceland and Ireland) are really struggling, while economies more based on manufacturing (Germany) or countries with more internalized economies less dependent upon external trade (France) are doing much better. This is why Britain is in such dire straights right now, and I think the future is bleak for you guys, economically speaking. The thing with manufacturing and agriculture is that it's a bit more stable than finance, which is characterized by huge booms and busts. Britain's manufacturing sector has grown recently, however (probably because capital is being invested in those sectors as opposed to finance, where it won't get good returns), so maybe that's a good thing, although with the crisis of global production, I don't think that's safe either. Basically the whole world is in a tough position, other than Latin America, which already went through the debt crises and reformed their economies.

The problem with our economy is that we're based on finances, and you can't do anything, or very little, to affect the exports of finance. The manufacturing sector is dead and long gone, and won't be returning. We should be focusing our efforts on creating trade links with China, Brazil and India to tap into their massive recent growth. And also actively promote studying in Science to hopefully, one day become a world leader in technological advances. Our costs are too high, and our workers are far less productive than those of other countries, but a foothold in technological exports is something we have the foundations and the ability to advance in.

Also, immigration is a godsend in terms of the economy. The majority work for far cheaper pay and are more productive than domestic workers, and are willing to do jobs that many of the British simply won't do. For instance, there was a BBC documentary about a potato packing firm, 20 years ago they had 90% British workers, now they have under 50%, and it's not the firm purposely hiring the immigrants, it's that the applicants for the jobs from domestic workers had dropped from triple figures to single figures. A sorry state indeed.

I don't know which country David Cameron is living in. There are a very few problems which have been encountered with multiculturalism but overall it has been a great success. Few other countries have had such successful integration of other cultures into our society. There are a few rotten eggs such as the BNP and the EDL but on the whole Britain is a very tolerant country where racists are part of a very small and despised minority.

The economic problems we are having are nothing to do with immigrants so don't listen to people going "Hurr durr Britain is broken cuz immigrants took our jobs", we have evolved into a financial and service based economy which is always going to be somewhat more volatile than other systems, but overall it is for the greater good, yes, we are having bad times now but we had good times from the 90's until 2007 and we will have good times again.

Overall I am very proud of multiculturalism in Britain, I am the son of an immigrant but I am proud to call myself British and I am proud of my heritage.

What do you guys think though, is this (and what Merkel said) an isolated case of reactionism, or is this a sign of a trend of Britain/Europe heading away from multiculturalism? Is it a sign of discontentment with the EU and free trade policies, or completely non-related?

What do you guys think though, is this (and what Merkel said) an isolated case of reactionism, or is this a sign of a trend of Britain/Europe heading away from multiculturalism? Is it a sign of discontentment with the EU and free trade policies, or completely non-related?

Well, I wouldn't be too upset if we had less integration with the EU. It's an economic experiment starting to crack.

I swear multiculturalism to British people is just "We have some white people, some people from the Indian subcontinent, and some black people"