I wouldnt consider it a bug as you dont score from it everytime like you did in the 10.3 patch and you don't get a ridiculous amount of goals from corners. I personally think its really unfair that the amount of goals AI scores from set pieces is ridiculous, and that you deserve some from set-pieces even it up a bit. By all means take out the corner set-up it takes nothing away from the open play of the tactic which is where basically all goals from. good luck. and btw use my V3 Rarely tactic, its better than this one

Introduction
I’ve been an FM’er for many years now and have come to lovethe game through all its iterations, from Championship Manager, to today’sversion. It’s a great escape for a few hours a week into a world where you get maximum enjoyment out of playing the game, building a team and winning trophies.

That was until this current release. I have really struggled with this version, to the point where I was going to give up. That was until Ifound I tactic I liked, could source the right players and then stumbled upon away of setting up one tactic against pretty much all the AI managers will throw at you.

So to be clear I have written this as a potential helping hand to all those gamers just looking for a few hours escape, rather than more dedicated players. This isn’t a 100% way of winning every match but it will certainly get you closer to the perfect season.

One other thing, some of the details in the guide, have been gleaned from the FM base forum, and where appropriate I’ll add in links to the relevant sections. My own input here is purely around setting up the team for each match.

Background &Career
I always start at a team in the lowest division in England,and try and manage them up to the top division. This time round I started with Crewe, won titles and got them to the Championship, which success brought a job offer from Burnley in the EPL. After struggling to keep them up in the first season we went on to challenge for the title finishing fourth. Then I was given the chance of managing Roma in Serie A. It was here, that I stumbled on the best way to lay a team out against the opposition. After finishing fourth in my first season, Roma went on to win the Italian double, and the Champions Cup. Roma’s second season brought the league and cup double again, but we got absolutely thumped in the champion’s leaguefinal (which is why I have edited this and posted again). I’ve just finished my fourth season, winning everything.

So all in all, the theories have been pretty well road tested. So good luck and I wish you many titles.
Tactic used: Brobs17Supreme 11.3

Download Here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-tactics-training/73313-brobs17-unbeaten-11-3-a.html
FM version: 11.3

Backroom Staff
Okay if you are managing a lower league team ignore this section. You’ll pretty much have to rely on the players developing through match experience. Employing an expensive and carefully picked coaching staff is not going to happen. But as you move up through the divisions, you can start adding people that can help develop the players. Just make sure you have a good physio, a decent scout, and a decent assistant manager.

Those who are higher up the divisions and therefore financially better off, I’ve put together a quick ditty on how to get your staff togetherin a short space of time. If budgets and headcount allow, I always pick one coach for each of the training roles. Where possible I always go for the cheaper inexperienced coaches, and if possible Italian coaches (if playing inItaly).
Searching for coaches is pretty easy, and there is more detailed guidance on the forum. But the headlines are:

Attributes for ALL staff (at least 9+): Determination;Discipline; Motivation.
Specific to roles (thehigher the values, the better the staff but I’ve put in the minimum I’d searchfor).

Fitness Coach: Fitness (17+)
Goalkeeping Coach: Goalkeeping coaching (17+)

Tactical Coach: Tactics (17+)
Ball Control Coach: Technique & Mental (15+)

Defensive Coach: Defending & Tactical (15+)
Attack Coach: Attacking & Tactics (15+)

Shooting Coach: Attacking & Technique (15+)
Talent Scouts: Judging Player Ability & Judging PlayerPotential (17+)

Next Opposition Scout: Tactical Knowledge (15+)
Assistant Manager: Motivating, Discipline, Adaptability &Determination (15+)

Players
As I mentioned before I’ve only used one tactic on my current save. I have tried a few others, most of which are good (Mr Hough, TheBetter Half, Goals Galore, Laffles to mention a few). The reason I went with Brobs tactic, is I like the way the tactic plays, and it doesn’t really rely on one player. So in theory, any tactic may work based upon the same principles laid out later in the document. But I have only tried this one.

The tactic relies on a strong back four, and hard working midfield and lightning quick tricky strikers. This can actually be a pleasure to watch as the AI struggles to cope with the onslaught.
However in order to get the best out of the tactic, you needto equip your team with the best type of players. The attributes needed foreach position I’ve gleaned from various posts on the forum, but I’ve cobbled afew together for my own version.

Top Leagues set the filter value to 14. For teams one league from the top division then use 13, two leagues down 12 etc. Compromises will have to be made, my advice is to get the back four and midfield sorted first. For strikers don’t compromise on their pace, acceleration, balance or agility.
GK: Ariel Ability; Agility; Handling; One on Ones; Reflexes;Positioning; Rushing out; Jumping.

DC: Strength; Heading; Tackling; Decisions; Marking; Positioning;Jumping; Pace; Acceleration; Determination.
FB: Strength; Heading; Tackling; Acceleration; Pace; Teamwork;Work Rate; Marking; Stamina; Decisions; Positioning; Determination.

DMC: Strength; Heading; Tackling; Work Rate; Stamina;Marking; Anticipation; Passing; Decisions, Determination.
CM: First Touch; Passing; Technique; Teamwork; Work Rate;Strength; Positioning; Tackling; Pace Decisions; Determination.

ST: Pace; Acceleration; Dribbling; First Touch; Finishing;Composure; Off The Ball; Agility; Balance; Technique. (NB for lower league teams don’t compromise on the strikers pace, acceleration, balance and agility…tryand get at least 14 for each value top leagues set this to 15).
Scouting

Before singing anyone, I always get as much detail about them as possible, in particular their strengths and weaknesses. Good ones are obvious, like consistent performers and likes big matches. Sign them.
Poor scouting can lead to some horrid buys, and when at lower league clubs, this can be really painful until you get rid of them.

ContractNegotiations
This is a tiny bit of the game I really enjoy. It’s pretty straight forward. Every time you put in your first offer make it insultingly low. The AI then marks out the acceptable minimums, then pretty much go with those values, trying to take little bits offhere and there. Once you are close to agreeing the money terms, extend out the contract date as long as possible (for older players you may not want to dothis I’d say 30 year olds and over give them one year deals).

For youth players I tend to ‘go to town’, pay careful attention to the clause which gives them a wage rise after a certain amount of first team appearances, make sure you drive that as low as possible. The AI tends to ask for sky high wages on occasion and you can end up financially broke with a young inexperienced team (trust me I’ve been there).

Match Preparation

This is a critical area in FM now.
Because I’m a one tactic kind of guy, it’s far easier to manage this. Having multiple tactics here is a complete ball buster and takes far longer to achieve ‘fluid’ levels.

Never, ever, let your staff do this job. This is one of your critical roles in the game, lots of people post about drops in form, and unexplained losses to lower teams. Other people advise letting the staff handle match preparation. I completely disagree with this.
Always keep the ‘Team blend’ button ticked. Don’t change that. Ever.

At the start of the pre- season have the workload set to‘very high’ and keep it that way. I suggest this because I’ve read in a couple posts that it integrates new signings and youth players into the collective unit.
Once out of pre- season, you can take match preparation down a notch to high. Personally I wait till the bars are all 80-90% filled before moving the workload down to ‘high’.

Only when all bars are filled do I change to ‘average’…neverbefore.
Pre- Season Fixtures

Pay Attention Lower League managers: this is where you can make or break your budget. I’m not going to claim intellectual property rights here, but I read this little gem onthe LLM forum.
Don’t let your assistant pick the fixtures. You can earn a small fortune by playing away matches in Australia and New Zealand (c£90k permatch). This kind of cash can transform the finances of a lower league team. At Crewe, I often scheduled games during the quiet midweek moments just to rake inthe money.

Larger clubs don’t necessarily need to do that, but you can earn 250k per fixture. But in reality you’ll probably try out the new players, and get the first team match fit. At Roma, I make sure I’ve got one friendly a week, up until the start of the season proper. If you get offered outrageous cash to play another team you can cram it in, but I’m talking big money (800K).
Team Talks

Again this is maybe one of the most overlooked areas in the game. There is a well written post about this with FM base (http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-tactics-training/29092-woifsongs-teamtalk-guide.html)
In summary I always select the ‘I expect you to win’ at thestart of the game.

The half time team talk is where you win, lose or draw.
If everyone is playing well (6.7 or above) I use the ‘don’texpect their performances to drop’ OR warn against complacency. Usually puts arocket up their **** before they go out for the second half.

If players are below par I normally look for the ‘prove apoint’ option first, if that doesn’t exist I try have faith in their ability. I then send them out for the second half and if things haven’t improved by 60-65minutes they get the hook and a bollocking at full time (angry).
If the team have won the match make sure you use the ‘well done’ and for game where you win by three goals or more I use the ‘outstanding’….or even if you win a big match one nil I use outstanding.

Of course even winning by several goals there may be one ortwo stand out performances (good and bad) and they get an individual talking to.
The Season(General advice)

Assembling the squad to the depth you want is a personal thing (and a budget thing!). It can take a few seasons before you get it to level you want, but in general have at least two players for each position. In the lower leagues I’d sign up a first team of old war horses, and use the youth team as back up. In Serie A I don’t bother with a reserve team at all, I have20 (ish) good pros in the squad, and use the youth team sparingly for easy cup games (Arsene Wenger- esque).
No matter what league you are in, the fixtures will pile up at some point. At this point my advice is to start giving players some days off training. You will see this happen sometimes when the normally solid pros start putting in bad performances (c30 games). I usually give them a full week off training and skip a match or two. For example at Roma the fixtures were nearly three games a week, and some of my top players started misfiring badly. I was really perplexed about this, but I decided to give those players a week off training here and there, and things started to get better very quickly.

Dropping well used players for a couple of games can work aswell but it can lead to transfer requests. It’s a bit of balancing act and one which as yet I’ve not quite mastered it. But experiment with this and let knowy our thoughts.
In Match Viewing& Advice

Okay this where I’m adding my own value to the document. How you watch the game is a personal thing. I always watch in split screen mode, where one half is my team’s individual performance values, and the other half is the opponent’s formation.
In my experience these are the two most important screens tokeep an eye on.

The AI managers seem to stick to their favoured formations during the first half. But due to red cards or injuries, they may change during the first half. In general, changes occur during the second half (can be more than once). You MUST react quickly to those changes and hopefully I can help you think this through.
Other reason for watching the two screens mentioned above is for keeping an eye on your players fitness and performance scores. Players who are less than 60% fitness values need to be watched carefully, they become the weak point in your team for the opposition to exploit….so try and sub them where possible. If they are below sixty percent fit, take them off. If they are scoring below a 6.2, take them off if they don’t respond to your half time team talk (65mins = hook time for below par performers).

Tactic &Deployment against Opposition Systems
Using Brobs tactic will result in your players getting lots of yellow cards, no question. It’s a high contact tactic. However managing your squad and keeping them disciplined should prevent a red card festival every match. Any player in the teams I have managed, who get a red card, always get a two week fine. If they don’t like that, I tell them to got stuff themselves, if they complain about that they get stuck in the reserves until they see it your way. No player is exempt from thatrule. If eventually they moan about the reserves they get transferred out. This kind of discipline will keep most of your players from red card challenges. Trust me on this, it works. But you will lose a few players whilst you start showing them how it’s done.
Another thing to do is change the individual player tackling level from hard back to normal.

BROBS TACTIC INMORE DETAIL
*NB I thought I’d mention at this stage I NEVER use OI.

Let’s start with the back four and the key values you’re goinghave to change.
Fullbacks: man marking, attacking, no tight marking,closing down own half, and no run from deep.

CD’s: zonal marking, defensive, tight marking, closingdown own half, and no run from deep.
Out of the backfour the RCD plays the most important part in set plays, he’s the guy thatflings himself at the front post and scores the goals.

DMC: zonal marking, defensive, tight marking, closingdown own half, and run from deep.
CM’s: man marking,attacking, tight marking, closing down whole pitch, and run from deepsometimes.

I’ll not bother mention anything about the front three, asmy advice here is don’t change anything ever.
For each formation the opposition throw at you, you willneed to learn how to adapt tactically and I will tell you how, in myexperience, to do this.

In general when you picking the team always us the vanillatactic, don’t save any change you make.
How to line upagainst a 442

What I do (and so far against this formation is works) is change the following for matches where you are the better team:
Fullbacks: allow both fullbacks to run from deep occasionally.Change their marking to zonal. If you see the opposition getting in behind either (or both your fullbacks), change them back to no run from deep, to give yourself cover.

CD’s: change their marking from zonal to man marking(not specific – just to man) and they should contain the two opposition strikers enough to neutralise them.
DMC: move him in between the two cm’s. Change his ‘runfrom deep’ to sometimes.

CM’s: change their marking to zonal.
How to deployagainst a 424

Fullbacks: change mentality to normal, tight marking.
CD’s: change to man marking

DMC: no changes.
CM’s: no changes.

Against 4312(3xCM; 1x AMC; 2x ST)
Fullbacks: zonal marking, runs from deep often.

CD’s: man marking.
DMC: specific man marking (amc), closing down whole pitch, run from deep never.

CM’s: zonal marking.
Against 41221(1xDMC; 2xCM; 1xAML; 1xAMR; 1xST)

Fullbacks: specific man marking (AML/AMR), mentalityto defensive, tight marking, closing down whole pitch.
CD’s: LCD to specific man mark the ST, closing down whole pitch. RCD no changes

DMC: move him in between the two cm’s. Change his ‘runfrom deep’ to sometimes. Set specific man mark the DMC. Closing down to whole pitch.
CM’s: no changes.

I’ll add more details as I get time. Hope this helps someoneand big thanks to BROBS for a great tactic, works even if you don’t mess aboutwith!

Last edited:
woah thanks for the detailed post. will try it out and give you some feedback!

I hope you get something from it.....if there are any questions just ask! I'll do my best to help.

I should select one of my MC for playmaker and one of my FC for target man?

I should select one of my MC for playmaker and one of my FC for target man?

whilst these options are ticked in the overall tactic.....remove specific players from the list of playmakers and targetmen.....

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Tsarov...confirmed as above post. good luck let me know your feedback.

Last edited:
Having more success with your ultimate line of tactics too Brobs, for your outside strikers do you have a right footer on the right and a left on the left or vise versa? I've used it both ways and it's still successful but was wondering how it was intended to be.

What I have noticed is if you are going to use a right footed player on the left side or vice versa he needs to have either "cuts inside" or "moves into channels" on preffered moves or he doesnt score alot.

I've been trying cuts inside and can't really notice much difference either way....depends I guess on player preferred moves.