Brothers In Arms; Enemies On The Touchline

lcfc3614

Reaction score
View attachment 242247
You could call it jealousy. I don't. I call it justice.
But what did he ever do to you? Ha, I've heard that question more times than I've heard of his successes, and considering they are drummed into me by every passer-by, journalist and friend, that really is saying something.

They say a lot can happen in nine years. But nothing will change us.

Us.

No. It was never us.

Him. That's more like it.

I. It was never I, either.

But it will be.

This is a story of two brothers on different sides of the footballing spectrum for much of their lives, drawn back together to fight on the touchline.

View attachment 242246
So who is he? No doubt you'll recognise the name Francois Bouvier. French international superstar centre-half, Champions League winner as captain of the great Manchester United. 'One of the greats'.

He stole my career. Who am I, then? Alexandre Bouvier. Alex. We were always brothers in arms, a formidable centre-half partnership in the school team, then onto the youth teams at Paris Saint-Germain, even despite our three year difference. But it never felt that way for me.

I remember when after school we used to go to the park, playing football until it got dark - it was the only thing we knew. Throwing off muddy jumpers either side of us and just kicking a ball in the air and we were off. But it was never all that fun. Every time I scored a goal, running around with pure joy as though I was Eric Cantona and had just struck a Goal of the Season contender. But then Francois would always stab his feet in the ground, and bring me down: 'It wasn't that good', before recalling all of his fantastic goals he had scored before.

That was only the beginning. After the age of 12 we were placed into youth teams at Paris of age groups, Francois in the under 16s and myself in the under 13s. We were both tipped for stardom. A couple of years later Francois was given his first professional contract with Paris, and it wasn't long before scouts started showing interest and by the age of 19 he was off to England for his big-money move.

Meanwhile, I lost everything. At the age of 17 I was eligible for my first professional contract, and they let me go. 'Too weak', they said. Oh, the irony. I remember my mum telling me 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. Those words finally resonated with me.

View attachment 242244
As Francois made his breakthrough in Manchester, I was left without a club. I left France on what was basically a desperate worldwide search for work at this point, facing a realisation my career was already over. Anderlecht took me on as a trialist, and I joined them eventually on a cheap deal.

I ended up staying at Anderlecht for five years, before they released me at the age of 22. It was that day I received my first phone call from Francois in five years. 'Alex?' he asks. I didn't answer. 'Domenech has called me up for the French team, and, mum and dad want to know if you'd like t to come over and watch me'. I didn't hesitate in reaching for the red button, put it that way.

He did not care for me. He knew, as well. That hurt. I vowed to carry on. I managed to scrape a deal to join St. Etienne, and in 2008 I finally got my chance. Domenech put his faith in the other brother, who had fought harder to get there. Luckily for me Francois was unavailable for selection. I certainly didn't ask him to turn up.

And that was my only break. I was then released again by St. Etienne after a new manager came in, and I was left again with a career to save. Patrick Vieira, a good friend of mine, told me to start taking my coaching badges early. I did, and then left to the MLS with Toronto. I stayed there for two years - and how I wish it was longer.

An ongoing ankle problem forced my early retirement, and then after I took a coaching role up with Toronto, I heard the news.

'Francois Bouvier has retired from the game to take up a coaching role at Paris Saint-Germain.'

I decided to return to Belgium shortly afterwards, joining Club Brugge's backroom staff.

Two. Years. Later.

'Francois Bouvier has been unveiled as the new manager of Royal Sporting Clube Anderlecht.'

I was sick of it. I will not be beaten again.

'Michel Preud'homme has been relieved of his duties at Club Brugge, alongside his assistant manager. First team coach Alex Bouvier has been given the role on a caretaker basis.'

It's time, boys.

Hello FM Base and welcome to my first ever Football Manager story! As it is my first, I appreciate any feedback, support and advice from the community to improve my story, and overall I hope anyone who bothers to read it enjoys it! Should you follow my journey you get two for the price of one, as you see updates of the lives of both Francois and Alex Bouvier, all from Alex's perspective. Consistency is likely to be a problem in my updating, but I'll try my best!

View attachment 242225View attachment 242234
So here I am. My single cap for France is the only diamond in a particularly rough career, but rather now it will be a case of rough patches in a managerial career of diamonds. That's the plan, anyway.​

Last edited:
View attachment 242230
So let's have a look at what I've got to work with here. I'll run through the squad, then I'll go through pre-season and transfers, and then from there I aim to do monthly updates of games from the character's perspective. When we play Anderlecht, there will probably be individual posts, to make it more interesting :)
View attachment 242229
According to my assistant, we've got a fantastic young squad. We've got lots of prospects, but also some good established players, especially across the midfield. In terms of transfers, we've been given £750,000 plus £7000-a-week wage budget so I think I'll look to splash that all out on what is probably going to be another striker. 4-2-3-1 looks the way. I wonder how Francois is getting on in the wonderkid world that is Anderlecht?!​

I like the idea of this! So you're just managing Club Brugge and not both?

View attachment 242224
Club Brugge, hey. Thought he liked Anderlecht. Seems as though the little guy can't handle the thought of me beating him again. Maybe he should just not bother, then he wouldn't have to. We're the best in the division by a mile. Mitrovic, Tielemans, Mbemba, remember those names. Mind, there's already interest in their current qualities now from the big and the best. I'm looking forward to our meetings. I'm sure he'll then start to appreciate me and my achievements a bit more, and then perhaps we'll get on like we used to.

But then again, this remains a working environment, and he'll try his best.
Except his best has never been close enough to mine.​

Last edited:
I like the idea of this! So you're just managing Club Brugge and not both?
Yeah mate, I will manage Brugge and my in-game 'brother' will manage Anderlecht. In hindsight like the latest post I will sometimes give updates from Francois just to add a different perspective to the story, but I think the main objective is to become the better brother!

Really enjoying this already, looking forward to see how it develops! Keep it up!

Really enjoying this already, looking forward to see how it develops! Keep it up!
Means a lot from you, love your Malmo story! I'm gonna go through pre-season this afternoon so hopefully I'll have an update out tonight, and then the season will begin later this week, hopefully tomorrow :)

Means a lot from you, love your Malmo story! I'm gonna go through pre-season this afternoon so hopefully I'll have an update out tonight, and then the season will begin later this week, hopefully tomorrow :)

Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying mine. Definitely looking forward to following this! :)

View attachment 242117
So this is it then, my first month at the club. I accepted the invitation to oversee a behind-closed-doors friendly at the training ground to have a look at what I'm working with here, and the seniors only just won 1-0. A disappointing loss at home to Kuban Krasnodar was followed up with straightforward tests around the country on our training camp. A decent enough pre-season, as far as pre-seasons go.
View attachment 242116
After looking at the squad a bit closer I felt at first signing Francisco Silva permanently would be a better use of my tight budget than going out to buy another forward, so he came in for £425k. I then picked up a cheap young French left back on a free transfer, as we were a bit thin over there, and then I was surprised when the board decided to take over a deal to sign Mark Uth from Heerenveen, so he comes in for £725k. Overall, a great window!
View attachment 242118View attachment 242122View attachment 242121
Later in the month the board agreed an affiliation with Barcelona of all teams, and immediately I moved to secure the man, the myth and the legend that is Munir! What a coup for a season, and I think he can lead us to the title out wide or through the middle!
View attachment 242119
That's it from July, on to a preview of the season!​

Last edited:
View attachment 242115
Well, I guess you could say I got a little complacent. I thought we were going to enjoy a good start, get some good signings in and get ahead of our competition but it has been quite the opposite. No players really want to play in Belgium, so I've only managed to bring in two cheap signings from Scandinavia, and results have been appalling too.
View attachment 242111View attachment 242112
After we lost in the Super Cup, I was pushed for an answer about how disappointed I was in the result, and refused twice, simply because I really was so upset. I needed a good start. I am a winner, you see. I don't lose.
We played early on Saturday to open up the league campaign, hoping to put some pressure on, and-
We lost. Again.
View attachment 242109
Against Oostende, as well. What a start. I just hope Liege and Club Brugge don't pick up points tomorrow, however unlikely it is.​

So here's the start then.
View attachment 242106The opening couple should be straightforward enough, as should the Europa League qualifiers, but then Gent will provide a good test, before we welcome Mechelen and then the big one. To play Anderlecht five games in is going to be a real challenge, but looking at their start they look vulnerable.

Maybe I shouldn't be so worried.
It's only my brother, after all.​

View attachment 241781
This is actually a July/August/September update, because basically these games are what I got round to playing!
We start off with our first Pro League fixtures and the Europa League:
View attachment 241780
Frustrating. We had no penetration against RMP, had no defensive security against Gent, but sailed through against SV Grodig and then registered our first victory, at home to KV Mechelen.
I'm disappointed because we go into a tough run in poor form now.
Anderlecht await us.​

'Thank you very much. Welcome everyone to the Constant Vanden Stock Stadium in Anderlecht, with a capacity crowd expected to watch this fierce rivalry. Both sides sit in mid-table after poor starts to the campaign, and surely the loser today will give themselves a long road to recovery in the title race.

So let's have a look at today's teams:
View attachment 241774
Anderlecht naming a strong lineup but you can't help but notice the narrow shape of the front four but also a potentially exposable gap in the midfield. Silva and Refaelov could be crucial today.
13': Marin into Thioune, looks up, inside left channel, Mitrovic lurking at the far post - SAVED! Punched away by Ryan between the sticks!
44': Drab match so far it's Anderlecht nil, Club Brugge nil.
64': Munir in a pocket of space, trying to release De Bock wide left, does so, through the centre for SILVA! Acrobatic from Kudimbana but it does the trick. Still 0-0 here.
81': Refaelov in space edge of the area - stopped by Kudimbana, on the reBOOUUNNDDD! Young Tuur Dierckx in dreamland! The Constant Vanden Stock silenced! What a victory for Alex Bouvier! Francois motionless, but look at the expression on his opposite number's face!
Anderlecht nil, CLUB BRUGGE 1!!!

View attachment 241772

View attachment 241748
View attachment 241750
View attachment 241749
I think those two quotes from my press conference post-match against Brugge show everything. Yes, we've pulled it back of late, but I'm still having flashbacks about it. The way he ran up and down the touchline, tears in his eyes. I'm not sure why he feels so passionate about it to be honest. In fact, I've never really understood what he has against me. Jealousy? Probably. I think I may have took a leaf from his book in my reaction after this game. We're making the right steps to recovery, I must say.
View attachment 241747
Looking at those fixtures post Brugge, we've won three and lost one. Still not good enough, but you can add the momentum gained from the Champions League and cup victories to that list. We have to close the gap. Somehow.​