Bryan Robson faces fight against throat cancer.

Gaffer

Reaction score
_51700058_robsonfor_dave_getty.jpg

Robson won 90 caps for his country, 65 as captain

Former Manchester United and England captain Bryan Robson has undergone surgery for throat cancer.

Robson, currently coaching the Thailand national team, was in Bangkok when he had the operation on 3 March.

"Bryan underwent an operation to remove a tumour from his throat," read a Manchester United statement.

"The laboratory report revealed a cancerous tumour, which will need further treatment. The oncologist is confident the condition is treatable."

Robson is combining his work in Thailand with an ambassadorial position at United and the statement added that he was "fine" to remain in the roles.

"Bryan and his family have requested that he can continue with his treatment in private and ask that their privacy is respected," it continued.

Although it seems Robson has managed to catch the tumour at an early stage, news of the operation will come as a shock.

The former West Brom, Manchester United and Middlesbrough midfielder won 90 caps for his country - 65 as captain - despite a succession of major injuries and was dubbed Captain Marvel by the then England manager Sir Bobby Robson.

By the time he left United in 1994, Robson had led the club to three FA Cups, the 1991 European Cup Winners' Cup and two Premier League titles.

He went on to manage Middlesbrough, Bradford, West Brom and Sheffield United before succeeding Peter Reid as Thailand coach in September 2009.

Original article.

Best of luck to Bryan, great guy.

Last edited:
was shocked when i saw this on SSN when i got up

Wish you a speedy recovery Bryan

Hope for a speedy recovery for Captain Marvel... I am sure you still have the stregthen in you, to fight this and win...

What is it with anyone surrounding football or sport for that matter ATM, there always seems some really **** news coming out every week...

Get well soon Bryan!

Best wishes to Captain Marvel, hoping for a speedy recovery

Yesterday it was Abidal, today it is Robbo. Hope they both recover well.

Absolutely gutted to hear this. Guys a legend in my eyes, loved watchin him play as a kid.
Get well soon Robbo

Very sad, hopefully it all works out.

I hope it gives him an awesome sexy voice.

never realised he was ill at all, good luck to him and hope he returns to management one day as he was a good manager especially for boro

iainmacintosh RT by BenHibbs

Anyone who ever saw Bryan Robson play will know that Cancer is in for a **** of a battle. I don't fancy its chances.

So many negative threads these days :(

Get well soon, Mr Robson.

Legendary for both England and Man U.

Get well soon Bryan.