Bury FC - Most dominant force in Lancashire??

MattLUFC

Reaction score
BURY F.C.

Bury was formed in 1885, and hold the 3rd longest ongoing membership with the football league. They boast several records (some good, some bad) and are currently battling relegation from League 1.

The only major honours which Bury FC hold are 2 FA cup wins in 1900 & 1903. The second FA cup win came without conceding a goal in the whole competion, and also holding the record for the biggest win in a FA cup final (6-0 against Derby).

Bury's highest ever finish came in 1926 when they finished 4th in the First Division, which they where relegated from 2 years later, and are yet to return.

In 1998-99, Bury was relegated from the Second division by goals scored (being the only team to be relegated by this).

In May 2005 Bury was the first club to score 1,000 goals in each of the top four divisions. However in 2006 Bury was also the 1st team to be thrown out of the FA cup by fielding an ineligible player.

Fast-forward 7 years, and this is where Bury's story starts, can an unknown manager change their fortune, or are they destined to never reach the heights of 1900's?

Pre-Season update to follow. Any feedback and comments are welcome (I was going to do a Swansea save, however i feel that this will be a better challenge) My aim is to get the club to the PL while also making profits (going to be tricky!!)

***I have already completed 2 months on this prior to deciding to do a story (so in the pre-season update wont be too many ss, however will try and get together as much info as possible for this)***

Last edited:
BURY APPOINT LAW AS NEW MANAGER

In a shocking twist, Bury FC have appointed England U19 manager Matthew Law as their new manager. Bury Chairman Brian Fenton says that after meeting with Mr Law he was impressed with his attitude and his plan of Bury FC. At the ripe age of 26 some people are already questioning whether Law has the credentials needed to help Bury FC fight relegation with such a small transfer budget.

Press Conference with Law:
Hi Matthew, you sit here as the new manager of Bury FC. How are you going to cope with the pressure of the job at such a young age?

I'm not going to lie to you, this is a huge task and the hopes of thousands lie on my shoulders. If i don't delivery i will be known as the manager who didn't have the bottle. But saying that if i wasn't confident in my ability to take this club forward then i wouldn't have accepted Brian's offer would i?

What made Brian so sure that you was the person to manage Bury?

You would have to ask Brian that! But i think he was impressed with my desire and attitude to take this club to new heights. I have a 6 year plan with Bury FC and i hope that i am still here carry this plan through to the end, and make a new plan!

What is your 6 year plan?

The 6 year plan is quite simply, take Bury FC to the Premiership.

How do you plan on doing that when the club is tipped for relegation and with no money in the club?

I know that the club will be in for a fight this year, so i am just planning on avoiding relegation this year to push forward. I have to admit the finances aren't too great, but i believe in the potential this club has and if we can make a profit each month and build a healthy profitable club we can improve our facilities to make the club more attractive to potential players and who knows maybe investors.

What can we expect from you in the transfer market?

I will look to secure young talent, as i feel we need to build forward for the next 6 years. I am relying on a few loans this season to build up my relationship with them and who knows, if they enjoy there time at Bury we could make it permanent.

Lastly, What kind of football can we expect your team to play, and does it worry you that some of the team are much older than yourself?

You can expect my team to play nice attractive football, i spent a few seasons coaching at Barcelona where i got my badges, and i feel that is the most effective way. I will also try and impose a never say die attitude in my players and make us hard to break down and beat. And no my age doesnt worry me at all, respect is the most vital part of management, if the players respect me then they will play their heart out for me. Thank you for your time.

****Pre-season and August to follow tonight (any ideas on layout would be great, new to the story stuff!!)

Last edited:
Pre-Season/August Update

images

Bury FC draw Barnsley away in the 1st round of the Capital One Cup
Transfers get fustrating
Out with old in with the new
Bury FC suprise all

Club Information

Bury FC are predicted to finish the 2012/13 season in 22nd place, and are one of the favourites for relegation. Looking at the facilites at the, they are not special, and with only £700K in the bank balance things will be tight this year. Things are also going to be tought with the restricted wage budgets available. However i feel that we have 2 very promising players in David Worrall (AMR/L) and Lateef Elford-Alliyu (ST) who will need to perform if we are to stay in the league.

View attachment 284297View attachment 284293View attachment 284304View attachment 284308

Transfer's

View attachment 284307

A very fustrating transfer window with no money to spend, however i feel i have some good young players in Andre Wisdom, Derrick Williams, David Ngoo and Krisztian Adorjan. Spent all transfer market trying to look for an AML which i am still without, however i feel that i can play David Healy there with Ngoo as back to AML/R. The DoF picked up Samuel Adjei, who i have to be honest with, i am quite impressed with and think he will improve. But the signing of the window has to be Sam Byram who i have on a loan for the season, but i am regretting the £20K per month fee. Got rid of alot of deadwood as well to clear up the wagebill!!

View attachment 284305View attachment 284309View attachment 284310View attachment 284312
View attachment 284313View attachment 284311View attachment 284306

Staff Changes/Team/Tactic's

View attachment 284315
As you can see from the staff changes, there is nothing much to report. I have brought Andy Cole in as an attacking coach and Dejan Stefanovic as a defensive coach.

View attachment 284320View attachment 284314

As you can see the age of the players at my disposal are all relatively young, with a couple of experienced pros.

View attachment 284328

The tactics which i currently use is a 4-2-3-1, however with the squad that i have it isnt very short on depth in certain areas, mainly the full backs and AML.

Fixtures

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capital One Cup Round 1

Barnsley 0 - 2 Bury
Worrall, Cullen
MOM: Schumacher (set a goal up, and dominated the midfield)

View attachment 284316

What a fantastic start as manager, as you can see from the start we more than held our own in this fixture, with more possession and shots. Cullen scored his goal in the 90th minute.Leicester at home await us in the 2nd round, can we pull off ANOTHER 'upset'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Npower League One

Bury 5 - 0 Portsmouth
Healy 2, Elford-Alliyu 2, Worrall
MOM: Healy (scored 2 and set 1 up)

My first game in charge at Gigg Lane couldn't have gone any better. Healy and Elford-Alliyu scored before half-time. In the dressing room i was delighted with this and let the players knwo that they was fantastic, but they didn't stop there. Elford-Alliyu got his 2nd closely followed by Healy, with Worrall rounding off the scoring. Another clean sheet as well was great!!

Npower League One

Oldham 2 - 1 Bury
Williams
MOM: Byrne (Oldham)

You never enjoy your first loss, but to make it worse it was against a local rival!... disappointing end to this game, with Williams scoring a late equaliser in the 88th minute, only for Oldham to score an even later winner!!

Npower League One

Bury 2 - 1 Brentford
Schumacher (P), Worrall
MOM: Carson

Back to winning ways and i am pleased with how we bounced back with the loss, Schumacher also missed a further penalty in the 65th minute. Surprised that Carson got MOM, we had 55% possession and only 1 less shot on target.

Capital One Cup Round 2

Bury 2 - 2 Leicester (6-5 on penalties!!)
Elford-Alliyu, Ngoo
MOM: Elford-Alliyu (Scored 1 and set the other up)

View attachment 284317

What a result this was, things were not looking good at all when Leicester stormed into a 2-0 lead after 17 minutes. Elford-Alliyu pulled one back in the 21st minutes. Then Ngoo scored what was the equalizer on the 61st minute. We did have luck though in the 89th minute when Nugent missed penalty for Leicester!! In the shoot-out it was up to Mark Hughes to smash home the winner, and send packing another Championship team!

Player of the Month

View attachment 284343

David Worrall - 5 apps, 3 goals, 2 assist. Average Rating: 7.60

Monthly Review

I am very pleased with my first month in charge, won 2 in the league and lost 1 as well as progressing to the 3rd round of the Capital One Cup. Season's aim this year is to avoid relegation, so I have to be happy with sitting in 4th spot! (who said you can't win with kids!!)

View attachment 284319

**** ANY FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS ARE WELCOME, HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING MY STORY ****

Ive just started a save with The Mighty Shakers and have also got Barnsley away in the cup. One slight note, Peter Shirtliff is our AssMan IRL and Brian Fenton our chairman.

Ive just started a save with The Mighty Shakers and have also got Barnsley away in the cup. One slight note, Peter Shirtliff is our AssMan IRL and Brian Fenton our chairman.

Thanks for that... was typing that up off the top of my head earlier on another PC!! will amend it now. Take the game to them you should do well!

Awesome, someone else doing a Bury save. Good luck man, it's been 3 seasons and I still haven't managed to get promoted yet...

Awesome, someone else doing a Bury save. Good luck man, it's been 3 seasons and I still haven't managed to get promoted yet...

Cheers mate, i can't believe how little resources you have, even with City as a parent club (no players would come to me!) nearly finished September so update should be up over the weekend

Ive edited my squad to include all the loanees Blackie has signed IRL and Tom Soares who we have on non contract terms......dunno if you guys consider that cheating but Ive got a decent team now haha

Cheers mate, i can't believe how little resources you have, even with City as a parent club (no players would come to me!) nearly finished September so update should be up over the weekend

And in FM they are generous with our funds! No way do we have a 90k transfer budget.

And in FM they are generous with our funds! No way do we have a 90k transfer budget.

I can't say much that's nearly as much as Leeds on the game!! (with an update that will change now). No i don't class that as cheating, i just dont have the patience to amend the squads!

Well we signed Gregg Wylde today and he tore Barnsley apart, won 5-3 he bagged 2 goals and an assist.

September 2012

images

Bury FC face a trip to Stamford Bridge
Goals Galore at Gigg Lane
Can we keep the good form going??
Fixtures

Npower League One

MK Dons 2 - 5 Bury
Worrall, Schumacher (P), Byrne, Adjei, Healy
MOM: Healy (Scored and set a goal up a goal)

What a brilliant result, never saw this one coming. We was 2-0 up at half-time, Then Lowe scored either side of Byrne's goal (came back to score against his former club!!) This was them followed up by a debut goal from Adjei and a 91st minute strike from Healy.

Npower League One

Coventry 0 - 3 Bury
Elford-Alliyu 2, Sweeney
MOM: Elford-Alliyu (scored 2 and set 1 up)

Another brilliant away win, against one of the promotion favourites!! Elford-Alliyu set the ball rolling on the 8th minute, then double his tally on the 68th minute. Sweeney finished the scoring on the 91st minute with a thunderous drive. Liking the fact that even though we are leading we push for that extra goal!

Npower League One

Bury 3 - 1 Scunthorpe
Elford-Alliyu, Worrall (2)
MOM: Worrall

Another brilliant display from the lads!! Are they sure we are relegation candidates?!?!?

Capital One Cup Round 3

Chelsea 3 - 0 Bury
MOM: Billy Clifford (Chelsea)

Well we can't explain to win them all then can we? Chelsea raced into a 2-0 lead by half-time with Clifford scoring them both. Then in the second half Hazard scored one of the best goals i have seen on this game, running with the ball from his own area all the way up the pitch and calmly slotting past Carson. Proud of the lads effort in the competition though!!!

Npower League One

Notts Co 1-1 Bury
Healy

A good solid defensive display from the lads, we was dominated in this match but held on for the draw.

Player of the Month

View attachment 284539

Lateef Elford-Alliyu - Played 5, 3 Goals & 2 Assists with an average rating of 7.16

Monthly Review

View attachment 284540

Well what another brilliant month, and we are unbeaten in the league this month!! The front 3 of Worrall, Healy and Elford-Alliyu are playing brilliantly. I hope they can perform like this for the rest of the season. To say we are relegation candidates we are more than holding our own, but i am sceptical at the moment. A couple of losses could really dent the morale of the team and hope we don't go on the slippery slope!! I know it shows we are 6th but we do have 2 games in hand which will easily put us top!!

Just looked over the last 3 months, and we have 24 games coming up before January!! To say more squad depth is needed is an understayment, but we have no money what-so-ever to be able to get someone in, can see this biting me in the ***!!!

Do people think i am using enough pictures on this?

Billy Clifford the BEAST!! Good start man :)

Good story so far mate, I play the same formation as you! What do you use for away games?

Good story so far mate, I play the same formation as you! What do you use for away games?

At the moment i am using the same formation, i was going to change it to a more defensive/counter attacking one, but when i kept it on by mistake i noticed that we was still bossing them games!

October 2012

images

Progress in the Johnstones Paint
Mixed Form this month
We lose both Wisdom and Williams as there loans end
Squad is getting very thin!!!

Fixtures

Npower League One

Crewe 0 - 0 Bury
MOM: Byram (Helped nulify the threat of Crewe's attack)

To be fair we was lucky to get even a point in this game, they had 7 shots on target to our none! Strikers just didn't show up today. Still a good point away from home though so got to pleased with whatever points i pick up!

Johnstone's Paint Trophy North 2nd Round

Tranmere 1 - 3 Bury
Elford-Alliyu 2, Ngoo
MOM: Adorjan (Set 2 up)

Good response from the bore draw we shared in the last game, i value the JPT trophy and think it will raise some much awareness of Bury. Anyway back to the match, we took the lead in the second half thanks to Elford-Alliyu. Then Tranmere pegged us back in the 82nd minute i thought it was going to penalties until Ngoo scored 5 minutes later. Then Elford-Alliyu wrapped it up in stoppage time (another stoppage time goal!!)

Npower League One

Bury 1 - 1 Walsall
Elford-Alliyu
MOM: Belford

3rd Draw in a row in the league, however i can't help but feel it was a well earned point again. Belford stood in for the injured Carson in net and had a blinder ensuring we held on for a point.

Npower League One

Bury 0 - 2 Shrewsbury
MOM: Mark Wright (Shrewsbury)

In a match where we had more possession and shots on target, but we just couldn't take our chances! They took a 2 goal lead before half time, Schumacher had the chance to score from the spot just before half-time but he totally mis-hit his shot!! This was also Andre Wisdom and Derrick Williams last match for us!

Npower League One

Crawley 2-2 Bury
Worrall, Hughes
MOM: Hunt (Crawley)

Another game where we had the most possession and shots, if only we could turn these stats into wins and we would be challenging for the title! Crawley took an early lead but goals from Worrall and Hughes ensured we was in front by 25 minutes, then Crawley scored another one just before half-time. Schumacher again had the chance to score from the spot in the second half, but once again he missed!!

Npower League One

Swindon 2 - 3 Bury
Worrall, Elford-Alliyu, Hughes

Our first win in 6 games, and about time. We twice took the lead but was pegged back each time within 5 minutes!! However Mark Hughes then scored the winner in the 92nd minute to ensure we went home with 3 points. Thats two in two for Mark Hughes, people will start mistaking him for the prolofic goalscorer, not a tough tackling centre back!!!

Npower League One

Bury 0 - 2 Tranmere
MOM: McGurk (Tranmere)

Once again we had the most possession but ended up slipping to a 2-0 deficit by half-time. the team just didn't seem motivated! We seem to play better away from home than we do at Gigg Lane which is something which we need to change!!

Npower League One

Stevenage 1-3 Bury
Elford-Alliyu 2, Worrall
MOM: Elford-Alliyu

Another good away performance from the lads, with all the goals coming in the second half. Stevenage grabbed a late consolation. Would you believe this but Schumacher once again missed another penalty (if you are keeping count that is 3 this month!!!, i should really take it off him)
Player of the Month

View attachment 285539

Krisztian Adorjan - Bossed the mdfield this month, an average rating of 7.88 and set up 5 goals from the AMC position, going to really miss him when he has to return from loan

Monthly Review

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/atta...-dominant-force-lancashire-september-2012.jpgView attachment 285543

I can't complain with the month though apart from we was looking abit of consistency. However at the end of the month we are sitting in a staggering 5th place!! We have however lost two centre backs in Wisdom & Williams. No-one of note is available either to loan or buy which is leaving the squad even thinner than it was!! 7 games to follow in November