Can Barcelona Tactics really be emulated in FM11?

Alcaraz

Reaction score
This article was put together by me and contains references to several articles on ZonalMarking.Net,FM-Britian and FM-Base.Please do not troll on my thread.

Introduction

Ever since Barcelona won the Champions League in 08/09, their tactics have been much debated about in the Football Community.Many Tactics Creators have since become obsessed with creating the most realistic Barcelona Tactic.

I myself have been so and after playing numerous saves testing out various tactics and reading several articles on Barcelona's style of play, I have discovered several obstacles in my path to creating the most realistic Barcelona Tactic which I aim to detail to all of you in my article.

Movement of the Centre-Backs

In Barcelona's Tactic, we all know the bomabrding runs made by the wing-backs namely Dani Alves and Maxwell/Abidal down their respective flanks to provide width as the attackers on the flanks namely Messi and Pedro are so-called Inside Forwards.

Thus whenever Barcelona are in the attacking phase of their tactic, and the Wing-Backs go forward, space is obviously be left behind and exploited if the opposing team go on the counter-attack.To counter this, Pepe Guardolia has created an interesting system.

Whenever the Barca full-backs bomb forward, the Centre-Backs namely Puyol and Pique move wide to cover the flanks incase of a counter-attack by the opposing team while the DM of the Barcelona Formation naemly Busquets/Keita and more recently Mascherano would drop deeper and cover the middle, in essence playing the role of a lone Centre-Back.

fiveu.jpg

As you can see over here, the Yellow Dot is Busquests while the Red Dots are Puyol and Pique Respectively

Problems implementing this into FM

Whatever you try, it just isn’t possible to get that much flexibility out of your defenders in Football Manager and when you commit players forward from the wings so much, especially on both sides this can leave you open at the back, especially if aren’t dominating the position throughout the game or winning the ball further up the field.

I think that for Football Manger 2010 a better use of the cover defender could be implemented not only for balls that get behind the back line but to keep tabs wide. Or maybe a new role all together maybe called for.

(This part was written by Thomas Levin)

The Fluidity of the Front Three

The Barcelona front three of Villa/Messi and sometimes Pedro or Iniesta is widely regarded as the best in the world.So much fluidity and quality in the attack and defenders didn’t know how to pick up a front 3 that moved around so much, many of them coming in from deep with speed and technical ability it was frightening.

Essentially, they were given so much creative freedom to move around the final third, they could open up defences at will with a moment of genius.

Even with Zlatan Ibrahimovic last season, who obviously cant play on the wings, Messi could be seen often swapping positions with Pedro and confusing the defenders.Although whenever Zlatan Ibrahimovic played, Messi could not play his 'false nine' role which gave him so much sucess but was nevertheless still superb.

Messi will occasionally find himself playing as a striker, especially when Bojan is on the pitch, who will often he will start in the middle.

BarcaVillaMessi.png

Problems Implementing this into FM

Swapping positions in FM and your side is all over the place. In my current 433 setup with Barca, having Zlatan up top I wanted to see Messi swapping with him every now and again, to exploit his ability to play up front as well. But also I want Messi to occasionally be swapping with Pedro. But with the settings all over the place. I also had Zlatan and Pedro swapping with each other.

Added to that the fact that you are unable to change the roles of the players when they do swap positions throughout the game, it gives a certain inflexibility to a feature that is design to add flexibility.

It would be great to have the ability for when a player changes positions that their was also an ability once they have swapped to play a slightly different role, so if Messi swapped with Bojan, Messi would effectively lie deeper then Bojan when they swap. ie swapping from a advanced forward to deep-lying forward.​

(This part was written by Thomas Levin)

Barcelona's Constant Pressing

Another feature of Barcelona's Tactic is their constant pressing high up the pitch to win the ball in numbers.This is badly needed because if they give too much space to the opposing team right after losing the ball they could find themselves in some hot water indeed.

Every player in the area of the ball would pounce on the opposing team to win back the ball high up the pitch in many numbers.

1052664_full-lnd.jpg

Problems Implementing this into FM

I have rarely seen Football Manager players hassle the opposition in numbers when needed too.

But playing high pressing, means that you will need to push up your backline, to ensure that you are denying space to the oppsoition attackers in different parts of the pitch. Inestia or Alves might not always get the ball back, playing a higher defensive line will mean reduced room for a player to run into and instead another player for him to face

On the positve side though,

The basics of the Barcelona style can work well in the tactics engine, using the philosophies in all my current tactics. Short passing to feet, Barca don’t tend to play with a frantic tempo, but keep it controlled and quick enough to keep the ball around, breaking quickly when they have the opportunity.

Conclusion

Making an interpretation of Guardiola’s tactic with the core principles is easy to do. But to have your Barcelona team play exactly as they would do in real life will need some serious advances in the match engine to express the tactical flexibility and develop along with these new conventional strategies.

Even still Barcelona have captured the imagination of many FM players who will help in developing their own successful attractive football in FM, not only recreating what Pep has down, but building their own style on top.

Last edited:
The problem with fm is, no matter how many settings you put, you can never emulate what a player does on the pitch, thats the beauty of football :)

You cant emulate what players like Alves, messi and iniesta do, brilliant footballers who are really unique.

alcaraz, where is the op?

lol, bad luck. Had a quick skim of it before it disappeared. Looked good...Plenty of detail etc. But do we even know how the tactics will work in FM11? We assume its the same as 10 but has it been explained, i can't remember if the announcement video said anything about it.

EDIT: it's back!

Last edited:
yeah, we cant yet draw a conclusion until we know what has been done to the TC.

i don't think it's the TC that is the problem, i think it's more the match engine...

i don't think it's the TC that is the problem, i think it's more the match engine...
sorry i meant it in that respect. SI have said they have done a major overhaul, so lets see.

We wont know until FM11 comes out, but tactics should be more realistic in my opinion. Not just edit it to the right settings and you win all of your matches.

But either way its hard to get a realistic one,KingEric has done a pretty good one but its still far from the perfect Barca tactic

imo there are flaws in the way that barca play, and these are only overcome becuase of the sheer ability of their players

I agree but this article is targeted at understanding why we will never be able to implement a perfect Barca Tactic into FM for now atleast

I agree but this article is targeted at understanding why we will never be able to implement a perfect Barca Tactic into FM for now atleast
im terms of FM its the same too, to even get close you need the very best. because the game doesnt replicate the centrebacks moving to cover the fullbacks well enough. and its not very good at the transition phase imo

im terms of FM its the same too, to even get close you need the very best. because the game doesnt replicate the centrebacks moving to cover the fullbacks well enough. and its not very good at the transition phase imo

CMH actually offers you the otion to change formations in a defensive phase and attacking phase imo.....would love to see that in FM 2

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

More Guests than Members viewing my article:S

CMH actually offers you the otion to change formations in a defensive phase and attacking phase imo.....would love to see that in FM 2

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

More Guests than Members viewing my article:S
its too early to say becuase we havent play FM11. when the demo is released and people have tried we will bump it and then be able to debate it. right now we simply do not know anything about match engine

imo there are flaws in the way that barca play, and these are only overcome becuase of the sheer ability of their players

no, there are certain weaknesses that they accpt in order to have more strength in other areas, it's a zero sum game.

no, there are certain weaknesses that they accpt in order to have more strength in other areas, it's a zero sum game.
not true at all. part of the reason zlatan was brought was to create an aerial output when teams shut them out through the middle, so then they could go wide where they have plenty of time and space, forcing teams to stretch wide to cover the flank threat. except that plan failed becuase zlatan was pretty poor aerial, so now the same flaws remain, and they can, and have been, exploited by more tactically astute managers

ofc their tactic has flaws lol, it would suck if they have a flawless tactic would make football boring
anyways the engine is good i mean sure it can get better and it will, but look at what we got? sooo many options and stuff, if you make it bigger will it still be nice for people who play this game once and a while and don't liek to read theorems?

Great thread, and yeah like it has been said, i hope they've worked on the match engine/TC in fm11