Can somebody explain this to me please....

Firstly, these results are actually rather similair, especially i using à tactic that is slightly more expressive and/or attacking so it DOES seem that you are using à tactic that is using your players really well. But being in Control Of events also includes making small chances all the time, just like your AI opponent does. If some Of your players starts Of poor and get anxious and nervous whilst some o the opponents seem really confident, then there is à big chance that this scenario Will continue through out the game.

By the looks Of it, you are in Control Of most things but when things dont go your way, you have no plan B and C, something that all managers have ( might nog be à good plan though).

So My question is, when you fail to score despite having possession and chances, how do you react to the fact that your players seems to be frustrasted and the opponents looks confident ?

Look at last weeks game between Arsenal - Swansea. Would you say that the result would have been different if one Of the Swansea defenders har made à defensive error in the 5th minute and Arsenal had scored from it? Would Swansea still have won with 2 goals if Arsenal har equalised from à corner in the 89th minute. Would Swansea had won 2-0 if Jenkinson had not been tired ànd made à poor call ?

To be able to correct things on the pitch, its crucial to watch atleast Extended highlights and pause every now and then to look at the match stats.

This is the thing is and i totally agree that any game would be different if there was a goal after 5 minutes to if there wasnt, but would you not expect the game to be similar if in real life you could rewind time to just before kick off and erase the first game from the memory of the players and replay the game just like in fm. The manager and coaches would have prepared the players for the game again the same, would talk to them the exact same about the game, the players football education would be the same so jenkinson for example will still play like jenkinson and make the same decisions on the pitch he doesnt turn into sagna and play like him if they played the game 3 days later or the day after. His performances would of changed because he would of learnt from the previous game, the manager and coaches would approach the game different ,his preparation for the game might of been different he might of had an argument with the mrs just before the first game or not had a good nights sleep etc which will all effect his performances. On saturday the Arsenal team as a whole would of still been low on confidence and anxious about the game and Swansea would come with the same game plan again believing they can get a result . Basically I think that if time was rewound to 3pm on saturday that swansea would win the game again and the match would follow a similar trend

This is the thing is and i totally agree that any game would be different if there was a goal after 5 minutes to if there wasnt, but would you not expect the game to be similar if in real life you could rewind time to just before kick off and erase the first game from the memory of the players and replay the game just like in fm. The manager and coaches would have prepared the players for the game again the same, would talk to them the exact same about the game, the players football education would be the same so jenkinson for example will still play like jenkinson and make the same decisions on the pitch he doesnt turn into sagna and play like him if they played the game 3 days later or the day after. His performances would of changed because he would of learnt from the previous game, the manager and coaches would approach the game different ,his preparation for the game might of been different he might of had an argument with the mrs just before the first game or not had a good nights sleep etc which will all effect his performances. On saturday the Arsenal team as a whole would of still been low on confidence and anxious about the game and Swansea would come with the same game plan again believing they can get a result . Basically I think that if time was rewound to 3pm on saturday that swansea would win the game again and the match would follow a similar trend

Firstly, by a few minutes into the game, I could easily have written " in the 38th"m, just before and after halftime", it makes no difference. It does not take a goal to change the variables, its about interceptions, passing completion, tackles etc etc.

Looking at your reasoning, I still think you are underestimating the following

Sliding Doors
: The different situations the players put themselves in and who they up against
- If Jenkinsson had not been tired due to Swansea not having pinned the ball back and forward, he would have been able to make a better call. f he had been up against a player feeling anxious or against a slow player at that very moment, then it would have been different.

The impact of players confidence etc

- If you start having a poor game, things might escalate. When a certain player comes with fixated variables( re-playing the game just before kickoff) regarding morale, confidence, mental stats etc, his performance will still be different depending on the flow, stats and result of the game. A highly motivated player with high confidence are more likely to respond good to being 1-0 down than if he has **** stats but there is still the possibility that he will get anxious, especially if being´on a good run. And depending on what kind of situations this player ends up in ( sliding doors :D ), these variables will have a bigger or lesser impact depending on the situation

The Tactic

- It might be that the tactic is really good or bad against teams chasing a goal, against teams sitting deep, against teams pushing up the defense, against teams standing off, against teams flooding the midfield, against players acting nervous, against teams teams playing with confidence etc etc

To sum it up, I still think your results are quite similair, especially given the fact that you are playing with an average team where most players have weaknesses.

EDIT: There is one variable that I THINK does not resemble real life, and that the hidden stat "Consistency". In real life, this is highly connected to form and would be a variable that is fixated just before you hand in the first 11. In FM though, IT MIGHT be that this is something that effects that game as the first calculations are made, and then it becomes FIXATED for the whole, no matter what changes one makes. Just I just a though though based on assumptions and I absolutely nothing to back it up with

Last edited:
becuase the game is ****, regardless of some boffins talking about variables the truth is probability decrees that the results should be fairly similiar, if as some suggest its like a dice roll (lol) then why bother doing anything in the game? Why bother with tactics or teamtalks or players even? The dice roll thing is the most stupid example ever. Its faceplam stupid.

There are certain team talks and tactics that will perform more positively than others, yes the results will always vary, but they will be influenced by the tactics etc. (e.g. Set your team with eveyone playing upfront and you'll lose every game, but the results will be different).

I think that the advice to watch more of the match is top notch, I tried it and it makes it so much easier to tell what the **** the other team is doing... FM13 is only my second one and I only played a little bit of FM10 before so I didn't know you could even watch longer highlights plus this one seems to be so much more about good adjustments in game than FM10 was... Thanks a lot for the advice!

ive also done similar tests, an also got varied results..some by large margins.
i for one believe that luck does play a big part in it, quite simply because you shouldnt have such big variables in a game that youve played a few times on the SAME day in history!
its like if i time travelled back to last week with last weeks lottery results..i wouldnt be here now lol
One thing should be noticed, are the gate receipts the same? If they are..i rest my case :)

ive also done similar tests, an also got varied results..some by large margins.
i for one believe that luck does play a big part in it, quite simply because you shouldnt have such big variables in a game that youve played a few times on the SAME day in history!
its like if i time travelled back to last week with last weeks lottery results..i wouldnt be here now lol
One thing should be noticed, are the gate receipts the same? If they are..i rest my case :)

It also depends on the tactic. If playing a high risk, high reward tactic, you are more likely to see huge differences in results, especially if playing in a league like the Championship or League 1/2 as most teams are pretty similair, making you play more even matches.

Again, its not luck as such, but the fact that most goals now adays comes form set pieces, defensive errors and Superb efforts, all these being more random than one perhaps would like.If playing a tactic like mentioned above, then one wil see even more of these evenst than if playing a cautious control based approach

And again, even if the user are using the same tactic, the opponent is not.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't you have such big variables? If the variables were so small and near unnoticeable which is what you seem to want then the game would become far too predictable and boring.
You'd just throw together any half decent tactic that gets you a few CCC's and is decent defensively and then you'd never lose a game once you signed a good forward. It's those variables that stop you burying every 1v1 or your 6'8 target man with his 20 heading and jumping from burying every header.

Just because you play the same game on the same day two or three times doesn't mean it would always be the same.

Surely you would lose a game if the ai created/used a tactic that counter acts yours you would lose or if u didn't motivate your team properly or picked the wrong team selection ect
I thought that was the aim of the game using the variables we have been given to control team performances but the part about needing to be lucky was left out. Some people are fine with it but it has put me off the game

Surely you would lose a game if the ai created/used a tactic that counter acts yours you would lose or if u didn't motivate your team properly or picked the wrong team selection ect
I thought that was the aim of the game using the variables we have been given to control team performances but the part about needing to be lucky was left out. Some people are fine with it but it has put me off the game

If wanting to be " put on" again, dont look at it as "luck". If you have players with average stats on concentration and have some really good players with flair, then its not luck that they sometimes make misstakes or pull of something really special. The only luck/unlukcy moments there really exists is if you get lots if preseason longterm injuries to players that normally never are injuried or vice versa.

If one in real life would have the ability to travel back in time, I say you would see the same difference in results as in FM. The thing is though, one cant do that and one is not supposed to do it in FM either.

Why shouldn't you have such big variables? If the variables were so small and near unnoticeable which is what you seem to want then the game would become far too predictable and boring.
You'd just throw together any half decent tactic that gets you a few CCC's and is decent defensively and then you'd never lose a game once you signed a good forward. It's those variables that stop you burying every 1v1 or your 6'8 target man with his 20 heading and jumping from burying every header.

Just because you play the same game on the same day two or three times doesn't mean it would always be the same.

what im sayin mate is you shouldnt have such big variables if you play the same team a couple of times on the same day in history. If theyve had exactly the same prep goin into the game, with the exactly the same players with exactly the same morale an fitness..then surely the variables shouldnt be too large (baring red card/penaltys an such).
As time travel is possible in FM (an always has been) you can see the affect of your teams tactic, match prep, morale, fitness ,concentration, passing, tackling et all against the the exact same opposition over n over again...with what some may say random results!
Now im not implementing the game is random or lucky as such...just that it would appear to be :p