Bullardinho

Reaction score
After a long time away, I have decided to give FM story writing another bash! I have been playing a Newcastle save for the past six months and after 8 seasons, 7 BPL titles and endless domestic trophies (yes that right, no Champions League trophy, although I did get to 3 finals), I have even started to grow tired of that save now. So I thought maybe I need to get back to writing a story alongside my save, because I don’t know if it’s just me but playing FM without writing your story for others to read just feels a bit pointless now.

Anyway back to my story, I have decided to give West Brom a go, not because I have any particular affinity to the club, but because I feel like they would be a great ‘blank canvas’ and also a bit of a challenge.
Tony Pulis has done a great job for the club since taking over, giving them a great deal of security and making them a team that is difficult to beat (it’s kind of his thing).
Well I now want to build on that, the club have a decent infrastructure and although finances aren’t great, they have a decent amount of talent in the squad and a few fringe players that could earn a few quid to build up a kitty for new players.

Although my title may suggest I am aiming for instant success, I am not expecting another miracle, I think we can all agree what the Foxes did would be very, very difficult to re-create, especially with West Brom. More realistically I would be more than happy with a top half finish, possibly a European spot. However that doesn’t mean I will not be trying to re-create the Tinkerman’s fantastic achievement by winning the BPL in my first season.

I don’t really have any particular rules for this save, although I would really just like to take this one seriously. I have become a bit lazy in my management over the past year or so, time constraints in my ‘actual’ life have lead me to take what I call short cuts i.e. using the same tactic for every game, buying the same old players regardless of whether they are needed and worst of all, letting my Assistant do most, if not all of the work.

I will really be looking at every aspect of the club and improving where possible. I also really would like to focus heavily on our youth, meaning an improvement to both facilities and staff, my first change being to our Head of Youth Development.

Anyway, enough about my plans and on with the story, I hope people enjoy and all feedback is welcome as usual!

Last edited:
View attachment 141831
Club Statement

West Bromwich Albion are delighted to confirm the appointment of Matt Bullard as the Club’s new First Team Manager.

Albion have reached an agreement with Bullard, which will see the young manager take charge at The Hawthorns with immediate effect.

Despite Bullard’s lack of experience at this level, we are more than confident he possesses the necessary skills to be a success and we urge our supporters to fully back the clubs decision.

We would also like to thank Mr Tony Pulis for all he has done for West Brom Football Club and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

View attachment 141808

First Impression

After settling in and taking a look at the club from the inside, I have made a few observations and have decided there are a few changes I would like to make immediately:

Head of Youth Development

View attachment 141807
As I have already mentioned, I want to focus heavily on youth. With that my first change was to bring in one of the best in the business, Phil Cannon. His profile boasts some terrific attributes and his experience will be vital in building a solid academy.

Director of Football

I have decided to end the contract of Richard Garlick with immediate effect. I am not ruling out a replacement, but for the time being I do not think this is a member of staff that is necessarily needed.

Transfer List
Claudio Yacob
Craig Dawson
Victor Anichebe
Sébastien Pocognoli
Stephane Sessegnon

May Sell
Saido Berahino

Targets
RB: Gino Peruzzi, Ryan Nyambe
LB: Zeca, Alex Grimaldo
AMC: Ante Coric, Jhon Arango, Lincoln

Key Players

Johnny Evans

View attachment 141806

He brings a wealth of experience to the side and will be a vital part of our defence for the foreseeable future.

Darren Fletcher

View attachment 141805
Much like Johnny, his experience is invaluable. Despite his health issues in the past and his age, Darren is still going to be a big part of our midfield and a will remain as my captain.

Solomon Rondon

View attachment 141804

Rondon has the potential to be a superb Premier League striker. He is big, powerful and can finish well. His goals will be vital and I am expecting him to hit the 20 goal mark come the end of the season.

View attachment 1062807
Stéphane Sessègnon Signs for Viola

View attachment 141638

Sessègnon was deemed surplus to requirements by the new West Brom manager Matt Bullard, who had made it very clear he did not see Sessègnon as a part of his long time plan.

Reports from the players agent state that negotiations went through swiftly and both sides seemed more than happy with the deal, which stood at a reported £4.4 million.

View attachment 1062811
Blues Sign Baggies Front-man

View attachment 141637

Chelsea have today completed the signing of West Brom forward Saido Berahino on a five-year contract.

The fee is thought to be around £27m, with £22m being up front, and the remaining £5m being paid in instalments over the next 2 years.

There has been no word from Chelsea or the players representatives as of yet, however West Brom boss Bullard spoke out instantly, stating “Saido come to me and requested a transfer to Chelsea, I accepted his request. The money received from this transfer will be put straight back into the squad and I believe this deal will benefit the club massively”.​

View attachment 1062830
Peruzzi Arrives at The Hawthorns

View attachment 141621

Argentian defender Gino Peruzzi has arrived at the West Midlands club for a fee reported to be around the £3m mark, with a portion of that figure expected to be in performance related payments.

Peruzzi is the first signing under new boss Matt Bullard, who has previously stated he would be looking to improve the clubs wide defensive options.

There is a sense of intrigue around the club upon the announcement of their new signing and a hope that this is a sign of things to come.

View attachment 1062929

Brazilian Zeca Joins Baggies

View attachment 141549

Brazilan left wing back José Carlos Cracco Neto or ‘Zeca’ has joined West Brom from Brasileiro Série A side, Santos FC on a four year deal.

The deal is expected to stand in excess of £5m, although not all of that fee is expected to be paid upfront.

Whilst many of the clubs fans are excited by the new arrival, there are those that worried about the influx of foreign, non-English speaking recruits joining of late, only time will tell if the gamble will pay off.

So far so good! tight defence could easily lead Uefa Cup! Maybe a bit of pace up top too

I'm a baggies fan, so looking forward to reading this story. Also the signings so far are looking good especially peruzzi!

View attachment 1063236

Two More Transfers Out

Claudio Yacob
- Wolfsburg - £12m

View attachment 141293
Claudio may be a decent midfielder but his discipline is questionable and my tactics will involve a hard tackling and hard pressing game, he just didn't really fit in to my plans.

Craig Dawson - Newcastle - Season Loan

View attachment 141292
Craig isn't really good enough at this level for me and unfortunately no one was willing to meet our evaluation. There is a £4m future transfer clause, which I am hoping Newcastle will activate.

Next up is 3 exciting transfers in..

View attachment 1063254

West Brom Sign Third South American

View attachment 141277

Argentinian forward Sebastián Driussi has chosen West Brom as his new home, despite interest from several of Europe's biggest clubs.

The fee is believed to be in the region of £2.9m, including several clauses, which many believe could turn out to be a real bargain, given the fact that so many big named clubs were chasing his signature.

It appears Baggies fans are happy to see the club is willing to strengthen the squad with some exciting prospects, however there are those questioning the clubs transfer policy, with some calling it a 'risk'.

View attachment 1063262

Baggies Secure Belgian International's Signature

View attachment 141272

West Brom have today announced the signing of Belgian international Steven Defour for £5.75m from R.S.C Anderlecht.

The central midfielder is said to be excited to be starting a new chapter playing in the Premier League and believes this is the beginning of something special at the West Midlands club.

View attachment 1063274

West Brom Complete Marquee Signing

View attachment 141255

West Brom have announced the club record signing of Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko for £14m.

The Baggies support have been the first to voice their delight over the signing on social media, with one fan claiming this was an 'impressive move' and 'a huge deal for the club'.

Sissoko is Bullard's fifth signing since he took charge as he looks to bolster the squad in a bid to aim for continental qualification.

Enjoying the thread so far, but i've gotta side with the West Brom fans, a lot of foreign players coming in, with virtually no premiership experience, that could dent your season?

Enjoying the thread so far, but i've gotta side with the West Brom fans, a lot of foreign players coming in, with virtually no premiership experience, that could dent your season?

Cheers mate. They're right, it is a bit of a risk but I am not expecting too much from them all in the first season, plus that's why I've signed Sissoko for Prem experience. Hopefully it will all come together :)

View attachment 1063379
Pre-Season

Friendly Results

View attachment 141177
I am quite pleased with our performance in our friendlies overall. There were clearly some issues that needed ironing in the beginning, but the that's why you play these warm up games.

I think I had worked out how to get the best out of the squad but the fourth game and we really kicked on from there, culminating in a superb victory over a full strength Inter Milan side.

Best Performers

James Morrison
Alex Pritchard
Victor Anichebe

Tactics

View attachment 141163

View attachment 141159

So this is the way I plan to set the team up for my first competitive game in charge.

Originally I attempted to play with width, getting the ball out wide quickly and using Rondon in his preferred role as target man, but that didn't really work. Instead he was left isolated and we were gifting possession away far too cheaply.

I then looked a playing a more compact, shorter game, which provided more penetration and allowed us to control the tempo of a game much more. Working on that basis, the above tactic was formed, using a slow pace, counter attacking game. I plan to get the team building from the back, keeping narrow and compact, with both wing backs overlapping and providing extra support in the wide positions when required.