AS Cannes v GAP HAFC- French Cup 8th Round
We faced GAP in the cup today, a side a league below us and a side who'd be hungry for an upset. We were having a bit of a crisis in confidence and a day like today could prove to be a real banana skin, but it could be just what we need, a morale boosting win. We went relatively strong with our team selection. Jan Koller, Mourad Badra, Boris Ponge all played despite the press expecting us to rest them.

AS Cannes starting lineup: Gavanon(GK), Marie(DR), Gimenez(DL), Paulle(DC), Ponge(DC), Vincent(MR), Pariente(ML), Badra(MC), Bertin(MC), Koller(FC), Arbaud(FC)

Banana skin was looking the more likely option after the first 45 minutes of play. GAP were much the better side, our passing was poor, we were gifting GAP the ball and they should have taken the lead on several occasions. However, we managed to take the lead four minutes before half time. A magnificent free kick from Stephen Vincent beat the GAP goalkeeper, it flew into the top corner and were undeservedly in front. On the stroke of half time though GAP got their rewards for a good display. Aurelien Schmitt burst through the middle of the pitch before threading a perfect ball through to Lamine Djaballah who raced on to slot past Jeremy Gavanon. It wasn't the first time we'd been cut open like that and we went in level at half time.

At half time i didn't bother screaming and shouting at the players. I've tried that before and it hasn't got through to them. I simply said, good luck second half lads and walked out. Something had to give, maybe a bit of confusion got them thinking and focusing straight. Nothing came of it. The half was again one way traffic and we were really looking like being the giantkilling of the round. Djaballah hit the post and Schmitt was the best player on the pitch. We couldn't cope with him at all. Somehow, we got to the end of 90 minutes with the score at 1-1 and extra time loomed at Stade Pierre de Coubertin.

The first minute saw instant drama. Kevin Pariente burst down the left, beating two men before whipping a beautiful cross into Robert Malm the substitute who headed home superbly. A sigh of relief was breathed not just by me but by everyone in the ground. GAP were looking tired but so were we and we knew it'd be a big ask to hang in there. We couldn't. On the stroke of half time in extra time, GAP levelled. Djaballah cut a great ball back to the edge of the 18 yard box where Mourad Badra slipped and substitute Kevin Segard came on to slot home. 2-2 and that's the way it finished. Penalties were upon us.

Our five penalty takers were selected, all volunteers. I didn't know how they'd cope under the pressure, all i could do was sit and watch, biting my nails. First up, Robert Malm. the Togo striker is usually calm under pressure and this time was no different as he sent GAP keeper Clement Rigaud the wrong way. 1-0.

GAP's first taker was Cedric Carrez. He was as cool as a cucumber, sending Gavanon the wrong way, 1-1.

Next up, Stephen Vincent who rifled his shot into the top corner, Rigaud was helpless, 2-1.

Lamine Djballah was GAP's next taker. He looked nervy and he was. Gavanon seemed to put him off and he blasted his spot kick high over the crossbar, 2-1 and advantage us.

Chance now to give us a real edge. Our 3rd taker was Romauld Marie. I was worried about this as Romauld isn't the most technically gifted player, but he went as expecte, hammering the ball straight down the middle into the back of the net, 3-1 and we were almost there now.

Gregory Firquet made it 3-2, the ball just slipping through Gavanon's grasp, could we end up regretting that missed chance?

Mourad Badra was our fourth man to step up and he made no mistake, a quick shimmee inbetween, which surprised everyone and he had wrong footed Rigaud to slot into the bottom left corner. 4-2

Pressure was now well and truly on for Karim Robin. If he missed, it was all over. He seemed more nervy than Djaballah who'd missed GAP's second penalty. Boy was i wrong. He lined up to blast it, but sent Gavanon the wrong way with an excellent penalty. 4-3, pressure back on us.

Steven Paulle, Cannes through and through had the chance to seal the win from the spot. All it needed was to hit the back of the net. Up he stepped, a slow run up from the centre back.Off the post but it was just enough as it was post and in for Steven. He thought he'd missed but he'd got the lucky break we needed and we were through to the next round. 5-3 winners on penalties and we awaited Toulouse in the next round, a massive tie for the football club and we'd escaped here with a lucky, narrow victory, we certainly couldn't afford to perform like this next time out.

Glad to see you're still following mate, and with regards to screenshots, i may do some end of season ones but i really don't want to now, i just prefer writing rather than posting screenshots, just the way i am, sorry to anyone wanting them, end of season may see some.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

ESTAC v AS Cannes- French National
After a nightmare few weeks this could be just the game we need, table topping Troyes have been one of the most in form sides of late and of the season and could give us a hammering if we play like we have been. Maybe we would up our game knowing we were facing the big boys. We really needed to be on our game today. We made five changes from the side who played in the cup. Cyril Arbaud remained up front for his first league start of the season. Jan Koller dropped to the bench with Robert Malm coming in. Pierre Vignaud and Stephane Leoni returned in the full back slots in place of Marie and Gimenez. Albert Milambo also returned in the middle of midfield in place of Alexis Bertin and Abdellah Kharbouchi came in for Stephen Vincent.

AS Cannes starting lineup:Gavanon(GK), Leoni(DR), Vignaud(DL), Paulle(DC), Ponge(DC), Kharbouchi(MR), Pariente(ML), Badra(MC), Milambo(MC), Malm(FC), Arbaud(FC)

We began the game really well. Much better than in previous weeks. Robert Malm and Cyril Arbaud were looking a handful up front and the Milambo/Badra partnership was running the show in midfield. Troyes had the first chance of the game though, Gregory Bettiol missing the post narrowly with a good header. However, we took the lead in the 23rd minute. Abdellah Kharbouchi went on an excellent run down the right wing before standing a cross up to the back post where Robert Malm awaited to head home. The players celebrations showed just how much they'd been waiting for this kind of spark, now we had it and hopefully we could go on and win this game.

In the 35th minute, we doubled our lead. This time it was roles reversed as Robert Malm burst down the left wing before standing a ball to the back post where Abdellah Kharbouchi volleyed home brilliantly to make it 2-0 and we were in control here much to everyone's surprise. Now we needed to see it through to half time. We couldn't. Pierre Vignaud gifted posession back to Troyes' right winger Claudio Beauvue who dribbled past Vignaud and cut the ball back for Ronny Rodelin to come on and strike into the top corner. 2-1 half time, that goal was a real kick in the teeth.

The second half saw us start well again. Cyril Arbaud missed a golden chance for us to go 3-1 up, he rounded the goalkeeper but unfortunately his shot was cleared off the line by Vincent Carlier the Troyes captain. And just five minutes later, we were made to pay for it. Again we gifted posession back to ESTAC and Gregory Bettiol's shot was well saved by Jeremy Gavanon, however, Ronny Rodelin got to the rebound and slotted home to make it all square. We'd have taken a point before the game, but now we were moping around, we had to pick ourselves up, we were still in this and had a good chance of coming away with at least a point.

Momentum was now with Troyes and they were all over us. In the 66th minute, Claudio Beauvue burst down the right of midfield and delivered a superb cross for Gregory Bettiol who, with all the time in the world it seemed, brought the ball down on his chest, swivelled and rammed into the roof of the net, a superb goal from Bettiol and Troyes had turned this game on its head, i could not believe it. 2-0 up, now 3-2 down. This was the way things had been lately and it seemed our luck wasn't gonna change today.

With fifteen minutes to go, a lifeline was handed to us. Troyes had continued to press and went on the attack, however, Stephane Leoni won the ball back and launched a ball forward into the path of Robert Malm who rounded Troyes's keeper Arnaud Brocaud, and was brought down in the process. Penalty!! Out of nowhere, there was now another twist in this tie. Up stepped Malm himself, one step forward, bang!! Into the top left corner and it was three apiece. It was all about who had the bottle to go on and win this game now. The game became cagey all of a sudden, neither side wanted to lose and as the fourth official signalled four minutes added time, there was more drama. Mourad Badra picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch and burst through the heart of the Troyes defence unleashing a vicious strike on goal, off the post, so unlucky for Badra, but the rebound fell kindly for that man Malm, who cooly slotted home to win it for us. 4-3 Cannes, a Malm hat trick and the most unbelievable game you'll see this season. You can see why both sides will be up there this season but you can also see why nobody seems to want to win this league. Nobody is going on a massive winning streak and the gap at the top was now two points between Troyes, Pacy and ourselves in 3rd. Many more twists and turns await in this remarkable season. But for now, we would savour this moment, a win against the champions elect, and a win that put us right back on track.

As you can guess by the lack of activity in this thread, i've been very busy with things and with FM 11 out soon also i've decided to call it a day with this story. I will be back with another on FM 11, possibly even with Cannes. Thanks for following all those who did and i hope to see you follow my next one.