Capello "Rio did not turn up"

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 3K

CJACKO11

Reaction score
England manager Fabio Capello has confirmed that there was a chance for him and Rio Ferdinand to meet. He said they had a chance at Manchester United's Champions League game against Marseille last week and he did not turn up. Capello said he was in the directers box and Ferdinand did not show up so thats why they didnt talk.

Capello did state that he could have handed the issue better but for further questions you need to ask Rio himself.

Interview will be added when on SkySports website.

Just to stick the boot in it wouldn't be the first thing Rio missed would it.

Last edited:
And Rio called up Capello and had no problem. He was upset but he didn't do anything silly..

"Rio called me which was a very nice touch and goes to show what a great man Rio is,"
"We had a 10-minute conversation and he wished me well. He cares about England and said the most important thing was to keep winning.

"He was naturally disappointed, but said the most important thing was to keep winning."

He added: "I feel for Rio. Even though I've got the armband back, I can see myself we've got leaders in the dressing room.

"The guys have still got a massive input in and around the dressing room."

And again it seems the media's more interested in dressing room gossip than football.

/sigh.

And Rio called up Capello and had no problem. He was upset but he didn't do anything silly..

"Rio called me which was a very nice touch and goes to show what a great man Rio is,"
"We had a 10-minute conversation and he wished me well. He cares about England and said the most important thing was to keep winning.

"He was naturally disappointed, but said the most important thing was to keep winning."

He added: "I feel for Rio. Even though I've got the armband back, I can see myself we've got leaders in the dressing room.

"The guys have still got a massive input in and around the dressing room."

thats a quote from terry not capello

This is so, so childish of both Terry and Ferdinand. Both great leaders but the squabbles about a pretty pointless armband are stupid. It clearly means more to Terry for whatever reason although when you sleep with your mates ex-girlfriend's do you really deserve it?

This is so, so childish of both Terry and Ferdinand. Both great leaders but the squabbles about a pretty pointless armband are stupid. It clearly means more to Terry for whatever reason although when you sleep with your mates ex-girlfriend's do you really deserve it?

What is childish here, Terry lost his arm band and somehow gained it. Rio lost it and called up Terry to wish him. Or Am i missing something here.

You've missed something quite important out though. Capello was at the back of a director's box; do you really think a crowded box, in the middle of a match, is a suitable place for a high level and important discussion? Rio was probably a little hurt that his captaincy held so little value for Capello that he couldn't make time to talk to him about it one on one.

Not really, Capello decided that Terry should be captain, and of course he wants it, who wouldn't want to be captain of their country? Rio was very mature about it by saying he could undertand for footballing reasons and it was only important for England to have success.
All in all it is Capello's fault, he handled the situation badly and if he didn't meet up with Rio that night, there could have been another occasion

Whether Terry deserves it or not is another story, but that's up to Capello. Most fans care more about the football than what happens in the players private life

What is childish here, Terry lost his arm band and somehow gained it. Rio lost it and called up Terry to wish him. Or Am i missing something here.

England manager Fabio Capello has confirmed that there was a chance for him and Rio Ferdinand to meet. He said they had a chance at Manchester United's Champions League game against Marseille last week and he did not turn up. Capello said he was in the directers box and Ferdinand did not show up so thats why they didnt talk.

Rio is obviously ****** off about it (not that I blame him). But for god sake it is only an armband.

Why is it always during the international break or major tournament that media tries to post every **** possible and distract the squad. And they are the first one to jump on their back if they dont play well. Such a pathetic media..

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Rio is obviously ****** off about it (not that I blame him). But for god sake it is only an armband.

Still that is not childish. Rio was treated like **** by Capello. And also Godcubed made a good point regarding this.

Just going to say this now.. Neither of them deserve captaincy. Steven Gerrard is twice the leader either of them are and actually tries his best every single time he plays for England.

Just going to say this now.. Neither of them deserve captaincy. Steven Gerrard is twice the leader either of them are and actually tries his best every single time he plays for England.

Very honest of you mate. I'd say the captaincy means a lot less to Gerrard than Rio and Terry so he often gets overlooked, but I'd selfishly rather he weren't captain as England would automatically be more of a priority for him.

Still that is not childish. Rio was treated like **** by Capello. And also Godcubed made a good point regarding this.

Squabbling over a pointless armband is childish. I know you hate me making references about myself however if I was dropped as captain for whatever reason, I'd respect the manager's decision and just get on with it. It doesn't make you any less of a leader or any less important.

Squabbling over a pointless armband is childish. I know you hate me making references about myself however if I was dropped as captain for whatever reason, I'd respect the manager's decision and just get on with it. It doesn't make you any less of a leader or any less important.

I dont hate making references. That was completely different scenario.

It is not about losing captaincy, it is the way Capello did it. If that had happen to me i would have ****** off and at the age i would have called it a day and concentrated on my club career.

So we both have different way so i dont think we are going to agree with each other ;)

I dont hate making references. That was completely different scenario.

It is not about losing captaincy, it is the way Capello did it. If that had happen to me i would have ****** off and at the age i would have called it a day and concentrated on my club career.

So we both have different way so i dont think we are going to agree with each other ;)

But it's an armband, it doesn't change anything. Why is it so important?

I don't think it matters whether or not Terry or Gerrard are the captain - both are the exact same influence on the pitch without it.

But it's an armband, it doesn't change anything. Why is it so important?

Would you play for a Manager who treats you like ****. Not a question of arm band here.

Hmm, Terry tries his best? He'll put his head in places the majority of others won't in order to win.

YouTube - John Terry Human Canonball

That's commitment to the cause, right?

Would you play for a Manager who treats you like ****. Not a question of arm band here.

What's Capello actually done to upset Ferdinand? From what I have read, Capello arranged to meet Rio and he failed to turn up..

When he bothers to turn up....he doesn't care enough in my opinion.

Terry is the most passionate English player and deserves the armband. I get the impression that he would do anything to play for his country, and he puts his body on the line time and time again. Despite the allegations reguarding his private life I think all the England players respect him. He has a presence.

Also, Ashley Cole is always overlooked despite his experience and passion for his country. He rarely misses a game and I'm sure he would have had the opportunity to lead his country were it not for his off-field antics.

Back